ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 07:00:10 Reply

At 8/12/14 06:56 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
I have PMed you. No hostility from here on out, you hear?

Yes M'am

BBS Signature
PirateCrab
PirateCrab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 07:25:58 Reply

Hostility and rage is not how a musician should respond when receiving feedback and critical points from a Judge. We have to choose scores based on all elements and quite frankly, every judge has a different susceptibility to what they believe will be great, compositional pieces of work where others won't.

If a judge or even non-judge has taken the time to write a small review of your work (Not including hate reviews like: Lol this suckz more than ur mum) and it's not as great as you expect it to be, breakdown the advice that has been given to you, research on the topics and make yourselves stronger musicians. I've had plenty of hate-mail and 0-bombs and whatever, but that's just how it works.

Smile, move forward and keep making music. Not for others, but for yourself. :)

Gawd dammit sheesh
Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 07:46:22 Reply

Ok, let's stop with the discussion about the contest now. There simply was 11 submissions that the judges liked more, and tbh I think they were better. Music is all about preference. The judges are still humans. They have certain preferences they want to hear in music. I don't see the point of starting to complain to the judges about it. Can you really say that you feel like one of the 11 submissions was worse than the 11 that didn't make the cut? And if so isn't that also just because you prefer a certain kind of music? If you don't get into a contest like this it dosen't mean that you are bad, it just means that there are people who are better than you.

Anyways, I know I said that we should stop with this, but I've been craving to say what's on my mind since the start of this conservation. Honestly I don't see the point of arguing. It's not like the judges will kick another artist out to let someone else in. This is not only aimed at ForeverBound, but I know for a fact that there's probably other people that reacted the same way. I've participated in 3 NGADM auditions, and I'm yet to get through. At first, I thought this meant that I sucked (which I probably did too), but I think it was Step or something that wrote the same thing as me after the NGADM results where out last year.
So yea, I'm basically ripping of that person XD.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, CHANGE OF TOPIC:
I assume that the finals will be same as the group stages where everyone submits a track they've made in those two weeks and the best track wins, right?

First Sunrise
Send me a Pm if you want your track reviewed :).
Ectisity - Previously known as enochcity

BBS Signature
Blacklawn
Blacklawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 09:03:03 Reply

I'm in. I'M IN! OH MY GOD

Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 09:27:44 Reply

I have another question that I started thinking about. Know I'm not in the competition, but I'm still a bit curious about the rules XD.
What about arpeggios? Couldn't help but notice that some of the contestants used alot of premade arpeggios from nexus or sylenth1 in their track as the main melody at times. Will this be allowed duringKnock out Rd. as well, or does that count as it being not original. Because if it is, I think you should make sure the contestants knows :).

First Sunrise
Send me a Pm if you want your track reviewed :).
Ectisity - Previously known as enochcity

BBS Signature
Azhthar
Azhthar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 09:53:07 Reply

Hmmm... Made it through NGADM auditions but failed in the Ngauc underdogs group. Sometimes life follows strange paths ;) I think it´s better like this, because I have more time for the NGADM. Good luck to everyone!

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 09:55:45 Reply

At 8/12/14 04:37 AM, Ectisity wrote:
And last, but not least @TheDoor6. Thanks for being awesome enough to host this contest :). It really is a great idea, and I think it really will help underdogs to stand out! You have an amazing personality, and people as awesome as you are rare to come by. Yes, I'm serious XD. Wish you good luck further in the competition :). Even though I didn't make it in I'll follow it closely, and I'll definetly come back if you decide to host it next year as well ;).
-Ectisity

Wow, thanks so much, Ectisity! :D That means a lot. :') I'm glad this competition means so much to you. I'm excited to see what happens too. I'll make sure you're on the PM list I've started compiling for next year RIGHT NOW! ;D

~Andrew

"Knowledge is freedom; guilt is knowledge; freedom is guilt." --- "I hate logic; it must die." --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 10:10:11 Reply

At 8/12/14 07:46 AM, Ectisity wrote:
I assume that the finals will be same as the group stages where everyone submits a track they've made in those two weeks and the best track wins, right?

Right! ;)

...and thank you for your rather respectable opinion on the matter, Ectisity. ;)

"Knowledge is freedom; guilt is knowledge; freedom is guilt." --- "I hate logic; it must die." --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 10:23:45 Reply

Erm so I've started a song and it's cool, but I don't know if I should take it down the direction it's going. People keep saying my stuff sounds like it should be an anime theme so I thought, f*** it, I'll do something that really SHOULD be an anime theme (but rock). Now I think it's too cheesy.
T-T Choices, choices.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
JoshuaHughes
JoshuaHughes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 11:02:59 Reply

Deep in my heart I'll always cheer for @JoshuaHughes, because he is for me the true example of how an awesome musician can be completely unknown on a site like this o_O.

Thanks for the love, man! I'll do my best to impress!

Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature
TheGoatee
TheGoatee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 11:06:39 Reply

At 8/12/14 11:02 AM, JoshuaHughes wrote:
Deep in my heart I'll always cheer for @JoshuaHughes, because he is for me the true example of how an awesome musician can be completely unknown on a site like this o_O.
Thanks for the love, man! I'll do my best to impress!

I was hoping we'd be in the same bracket, I really wanted to compete with you. This should be fun:)

Blacklawn
Blacklawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 11:47:24 Reply

At 8/12/14 10:23 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Erm so I've started a song and it's cool, but I don't know if I should take it down the direction it's going. People keep saying my stuff sounds like it should be an anime theme so I thought, f*** it, I'll do something that really SHOULD be an anime theme (but rock). Now I think it's too cheesy.
T-T Choices, choices.

I'm also not too happy with the song I started. I'm putting more effort on the mixing than I did into any previous song, but I'm just stuck structurally, not knowing how to proceed. Well, at least we've got time.

Sovarozum
Sovarozum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 12:02:00 Reply

Congrats to the peeps that made it, I'll be listening for all you guys in the next round! :D

Music Composer & Sound Designer
Website | BandCamp
SoundCloud | YouTube

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 13:32:23 Reply

Shall we post our next submission in this thread?

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 14:01:34 Reply

At 8/12/14 01:32 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: Shall we post our next submission in this thread?

Yes, please. ;)

BBS Signature
D-Chain
D-Chain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 14:21:16 Reply

At 8/12/14 07:46 AM, Ectisity wrote: Ok, let's stop with the discussion about the contest now. There simply was 11 submissions that the judges liked more, and tbh I think they were better. Music is all about preference. The judges are still humans. They have certain preferences they want to hear in music. I don't see the point of starting to complain to the judges about it. Can you really say that you feel like one of the 11 submissions was worse than the 11 that didn't make the cut? And if so isn't that also just because you prefer a certain kind of music? If you don't get into a contest like this it dosen't mean that you are bad, it just means that there are people who are better than you.

Anyways, I know I said that we should stop with this, but I've been craving to say what's on my mind since the start of this conservation. Honestly I don't see the point of arguing. It's not like the judges will kick another artist out to let someone else in. This is not only aimed at ForeverBound, but I know for a fact that there's probably other people that reacted the same way. I've participated in 3 NGADM auditions, and I'm yet to get through. At first, I thought this meant that I sucked (which I probably did too), but I think it was Step or something that wrote the same thing as me after the NGADM results where out last year.
So yea, I'm basically ripping of that person XD.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure ForeverBound and perhaps others including me cant judge the judges? if thats what i think you are saying...
You are 100% right about preferences. every person has a different taste thats what makes us human. but as a judge, a REAL judge you start by looking at the quality of a song.. than you move on to the creative side and last but not least the complexity in that order. lets say a 60%-25%-15% ratio for instance.
thats how most labels work.. if its quality it sells for sure. if its creative it sells and the complexity doesnt really matter it can be 10% complexity 50% or even 1.. as long as it makes money. now im not trying to say these judges on NG should change how they look at songs.. because NG isnt looking to sell.. but its weird for some of us that actually look far beyond newgrounds to a bigger stage/world... thats all had to say. my mind is empty now. i would love to read critics on this so be my guest. just.. no arguing. i hate that.. im friendly and wont hurt a fly.

-The anti-climax guy. Or you can call me Mr. A because Mr. B is on a vacation to Brazil. HAH. HAH. HAH.

BBS Signature
Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 14:36:18 Reply

Yay I'm through.

Quick question, I am writing up the idea and lyrical content for my entry at the moment. What is the most I can get away with in this competition in regards to how offensive/extreme the lyrics can get?

Thanks.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
Sundans
Sundans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 14:40:45 Reply

Already starting my submission and boy is it sounding absolutely terrible. :/ The pressure, damn it. The pressure. I am also completely shocked that I was one of the highest scores in my group. That, to be honest, was not expected in the least. I wish everybody who made it good luck -- you guys are so talented. I can't wait to hear the epic music you guys put out.

[✖] Play a live show. | [✖] Sell music.
[✔] Sound design for games. | [✔] Produce an OST for film. | [✔] Get creepy fans. | [✔] Get awesome fans.
Moving up the ladder.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 14:51:54 Reply

I'll try my best to submit it before the end of the deadline. Too many projects are going on this month. So glad I almost finish the piece for NGADM.

And thank you @Troisnyx for your awesome review, I didn't get one of these detailed review in long time.

TheGoatee
TheGoatee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 14:57:09 Reply

STOP. SERIOUSLY. NO ONE WANTS TO CONTINUE THIS DISCUSSION.

TheGoatee
TheGoatee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 14:58:17 Reply

At 8/12/14 02:57 PM, TheGoatee wrote: STOP. SERIOUSLY. NO ONE WANTS TO CONTINUE THIS DISCUSSION.

That was intended for D-Chain, not the others, my apologies

Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 15:19:28 Reply

Oh no I failed in yet another contest.

larrynachos
larrynachos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 15:25:36 Reply

At 8/12/14 03:19 PM, Deshiel wrote: Oh no I failed in yet another contest.

You didn't make it in? D: HOW COME NONE OF MY FRIENDS MADE IT IN (except for katmaestro)

Minnesota Meetup 2015 pls

BBS Signature
Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 15:26:44 Reply

At 8/12/14 03:25 PM, larrynachos wrote:
You didn't make it in? D: HOW COME NONE OF MY FRIENDS MADE IT IN (except for katmaestro)

I'm too noob.

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 15:29:53 Reply

At 8/12/14 03:26 PM, Deshiel wrote:
I'm too noob.

No one else could handle the sheer amount of #sweg that you would decimate the rest of us with.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
DjSkyFall
DjSkyFall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 16:23:42 Reply

At 8/12/14 03:26 PM, Deshiel wrote:
I'm too noob.

Da hell bro? too noob? XD thank you to the judges and a lot of the people i expected to make it didn't and its a shocker, but good luck to every one! To the judges, just party it up man, enjoy the jams and judge like you judge...

Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 16:25:50 Reply

At 8/12/14 03:29 PM, Lich wrote:
I'm too noob.
No one else could handle the sheer amount of #sweg that you would decimate the rest of us with.

Hehe I'm too dangerous to be kept around. :D

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 16:34:03 Reply

Managed to turn my song around. I think the problem is that it didn't match how I was feeling so I couldn't continue to write it. Now I even have a first verse mapped out with lyrics. *_*

I hope you guys are all progressing well too.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
larrynachos
larrynachos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 16:56:20 Reply

At 8/12/14 04:34 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Managed to turn my song around. I think the problem is that it didn't match how I was feeling so I couldn't continue to write it. Now I even have a first verse mapped out with lyrics. *_*

I hope you guys are all progressing well too.

Glad to see you're progressing! I'm making a risky move and experimenting with a whole new genre lol. Hope it doesn't cost me the contest! Good luck :D

Minnesota Meetup 2015 pls

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread 2014-08-12 17:12:59 Reply

At 8/12/14 02:21 PM, D-Chain wrote: Are you sure ForeverBound and perhaps others including me cant judge the judges? if thats what i think you are saying...
You are 100% right about preferences. every person has a different taste thats what makes us human. but as a judge, a REAL judge you start by looking at the quality of a song.. than you move on to the creative side and last but not least the complexity in that order. lets say a 60%-25%-15% ratio for instance.
thats how most labels work.. if its quality it sells for sure. if its creative it sells and the complexity doesnt really matter it can be 10% complexity 50% or even 1.. as long as it makes money. now im not trying to say these judges on NG should change how they look at songs.. because NG isnt looking to sell.. but its weird for some of us that actually look far beyond newgrounds to a bigger stage/world... thats all had to say. my mind is empty now. i would love to read critics on this so be my guest. just.. no arguing. i hate that.. im friendly and wont hurt a fly.

Hi.

Of course you can judge judges. However, the judges are there for a good reason, and just like they need to be clear and accurate with their criticisms, so do you. (the royal "you", which can refer to basically anyone judging the judges)

Regarding how the judging works, I want to point something out. Whether or not something sells well does not determine whether or not it is a good piece of music. Of course, if something is complete shit, it won't sell well, but a bad song can become popular as well. The general population does not understand music in the same way that musicians do - especially musicians that have studied and worked with music for much of their life. This is the case for most contests, unless it is a popularity contest - like the money-making game is.

Looking to "a bigger stage" is also looking to less creative, and often less quality work - creativity is part of quality, after all, and people generally just want more of the same.

saying this as a judge of contests, btw

tl;dr: Contests are judged by critics who have studied whatever the contest is about and know what they're talking about. Labels are about selling music to people who don't understand music. Pick the one you want to cater to, if you can't do both at once.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature