New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheDoor6
TheDoor6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 12:43 AM Reply

Hello, everyone! Welcome to the Official Newgrounds Audio Underdogs Competition Knock-out Round Thread 2014! :D If you have no idea what that is, click HERE.

First of all, there's been a slight change to the formatting rules of the competition. This round, we'll accept not one but THREE contestants from each group! :D These nine contestants will compete against each other in the final round, in which we'll determine the top three winners of all the groups instead of the one winner from each group.

The remaining competitors have until Friday, August 22nd at 11:59 EST to submit a completely original track made from scratch for the competition to this thread (with no HTML, por favor). This is the "knock-out round." You couldn't have started working on this piece until NOW, per the rules. If we find evidence of you having done so, you will be automatically disqualified. Also, there will be NO remixes, re-makes, mash-ups, covers, arrangements, or anything like that for this round. Your piece really has to be COMPLETELY original.

As explained earlier, the three strongest competitors from each group will be announced by Monday, August 25th. Then, those people will face each other in an epic finale! They’ll have 2 more weeks (until Friday, September 5th at 11:59 p.m. EST) to submit their final pieces! :D All rules for the knock-out round apply to this one as well. The complete list of details for this round will be posted in that thread in a couple of weeks. The winner of the competition will be announced on Monday, September 9th.

It's very, VERY important for this round that you check out ALL OF THE RULESfor this contest that didn't quite make this concise forum post.

Super huge thank you to all the judges: Bosa, Camoshark, Steampianist, Johnfn, Troisnyx, Lockyn, PirateCrab, and me (that's in order of when they joined the judging team, btw. I put myself last out of politeness).

Anyway, you guys are probably still caught up in who actually made it into this round for some reason, so here you go:

UNDERDOGS GROUP

Adieuwinter
Bardash
Blacklawn
Clerik
Jernemies
Lasse
Possibly
Sovarozum
Stapless
Sundans
Voltus

Top scorers from previous round: Adieuwinter, Clerik, Possibly, Sovarozum, Sundans

PROFESSIONAL AMATEURS GROUP

8-bitheroes
Birdinator99
Djabbic
DjSkyFall
JoshuaHughes
LunacyEcho
MoonlitRaven
Mophead367
Rainheart666787
TheGoatee
Waidmann

Top scorers from previous round: 8-bitheroes, Djabbic, JoshuaHughes, LunacyEcho, TheGoatee

ALL-STARS

Aliaspharow
AnalogByNature
Bassfiddlejones
DivoFST
KatMaestro
Larrynachos
Lich
MetalRenard
SilverPoyozo
Tourmithefly
WingoWinston

Top scorers from previous round: AnalogByNature, Bassfiddlejones, LarryNachos, MetalRenard, SilverPoyozo, WingoWinston

If you didn't make it into this round, please don't complain. Simply PM me or any of the other judges if you have any questions or concerns, or if you want to know your specific scores. It was REALLY hard to determine these survivors, guys - there are a lot of talented individuals who didn't even make it this far in the competition! The judges have worked hard to score this competition, though, so please keep your PMs friendly and not accusing.

Thanks to Deshiel for offering to make forum signatures for the winners.

Also, I'd like to credit @Spadezer with coming up with the names for the groups, and to personally thank @SkyeWint for doing a special back-up judging job for us. @Troisnyx didn't feel comfortable judging @MetalRenard's submission because he's judging hers in the NGADM, so Skye stepped in to do it for her! ;)

You can start working on your pieces for this round now. And...GO! ;D

"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead." ~Benjamin Franklin

This is why The Door holds no secrets, my friends.

BBS Signature
larrynachos
larrynachos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 12:53 AM Reply

Not only did I make it in, but I was one of the top scores in the highest group? Yussssssss. Nice little boost for the self esteem, but my pessimism is telling me I'm gonna get squashed this round. Good luck, everyone!

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶e̶v̶i̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶N̶G̶A̶U̶C̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶<̶3̶

BBS Signature
TheDoor6
TheDoor6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 12:56 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 12:53 AM, larrynachos wrote: Not only did I make it in, but I was one of the top scores in the highest group? Yussssssss. Nice little boost for the self esteem, but my pessimism is telling me I'm gonna get squashed this round. Good luck, everyone!

Ah, that's right! In all the craziness, I forgot to say just that!

Massive congratulations to everyone who made it in, and good luck to everyone in the next round! :D

BBS Signature
larrynachos
larrynachos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 12:59 AM Reply

HANG ON A MINUTE, @CACOLA DIDN'T MAKE IT IN?

*sobs* I hope this doesn't hurt our friendship

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶e̶v̶i̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶N̶G̶A̶U̶C̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶<̶3̶

BBS Signature
TheDoor6
TheDoor6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 12:59 AM, larrynachos wrote: HANG ON A MINUTE, @CACOLA DIDN'T MAKE IT IN?

*sobs* I hope this doesn't hurt our friendship

You guys weren't even in the same group, so I wouldn't worry about it...

BBS Signature
TheGoatee
TheGoatee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 01:03 AM Reply

Awesome, I actually made it to the next round of a contest this time haha. Top scorer too, very surprised and happy. Thanks judges for the opportunity!

Lockyn
Lockyn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 01:12 AM Reply

Good luck everyone! I'm looking forward to what you all have to offer this round... It was a very interesting and varied first round, and I really enjoyed listening through everyone's hard work. It's my first time judging a contest like this so I'm a newbie to this in a way too. :3 Keep it coming strong. Cheers!

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 02:07 AM Reply

So, since MetalRenard isn't leaving and TroisNyx also isn't leaving, I'm guessing I'll have to do another backup judging job?

And if so, since I'm assuming I'd have to write a review in that case - can I have more than 15 minutes to do it this time, because that's barely enough time to toss a score out and I don't like giving a score without analyzing a piece. ...always seems like it'll be less accurate. (...at least 2 hours, plz. Preferably more like 4)

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 02:09 AM Reply

Bummer, guess I'm out of luck with contests lately... Oh well, best of luck to all the remaining participants!

BBS Signature
8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 02:23 AM Reply

Wow, wasn't expecting to make it through tbh. That's made my day.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 03:06 AM Reply

And so it begins...

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 03:07 AM Reply

Ah Skye judged mine? Skye, I hope there's no bad blood between us after our last discussion and that it didn't (and won't in the future) affect your scores etc of my work.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 03:22 AM Reply

Nothing to do here anymore * flies away*

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 03:45 AM Reply

FYI All-Stars group: technically I didn't need to review anything for the Tryouts. But if you find a review from me left on your song, you may perhaps find I was stricter than usual. I dished out a lot of 4s and 5s. And 7s. Some of you may probably be still waiting for a bit of feedback. When I'm able, I'll give it you.

I just felt that I had to review; I didn't want people to be left completely in the dark.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 04:07 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 03:45 AM, Troisnyx wrote: FYI All-Stars group: technically I didn't need to review anything for the Tryouts. But if you find a review from me left on your song, you may perhaps find I was stricter than usual. I dished out a lot of 4s and 5s. And 7s. Some of you may probably be still waiting for a bit of feedback. When I'm able, I'll give it you.

I just felt that I had to review; I didn't want people to be left completely in the dark.

Hey, uh. Trois. Don't worry so much about being the least-liked judge of a contest. It's not so bad. As long as your harshness is balanced out by being fair, and your criticism is helpful, people generally take it well.

...you know, speaking as last year's Simon Cowell of the NGADM. Some hate happened. Talk to the people who didn't like it and try to explain it in a more friendly and personal way to them alone. It really, really works. They still might not like it, but they'll at least respect you if you aren't an ass about it.
At 8/12/14 03:07 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Ah Skye judged mine? Skye, I hope there's no bad blood between us after our last discussion and that it didn't (and won't in the future) affect your scores etc of my work.

Nah. No bad blood. Just a very strong urge to poke at your mixing more than most people's. :P Don't worry, I generally try to judge each piece individually, regardless of who made it (unless it's in something like the NGADM, then I might consider docking a bit of score if they've been releasing rehashes of the same idea over and over).

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 04:12 AM Reply

maybe u become more popular if u atleast read the genre of the track right?

@D-chain @Troisnyx

BBS Signature
LexaHergon
LexaHergon
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 04:30 AM Reply

Damn, I got kicked out.

Underdogs ftw !

BBS Signature
Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 04:37 AM Reply

Holy molly, the All star group contestants are just what I guessed :D. They all really deserve to be in this, and they all have amazing tracks. This is going to be interesting :o.
Can't wait to see what @AnologByNature will do for this XD.

Kinda hard to guess who the 3 winners will be (reffering to the all-star group), but My favourites from th auditions was @larrynachos and @KatMaestro though all the people in that group are true all-stars. You never know what they might end up doing X3.

@8-bitheroes I would have been surprised if you didn't make it through X3. You're an 8-bit genius after all.
Deep in my heart I'll always cheer for @JoshuaHughes, because he is for me the true example of how an awesome musician can be completely unknown on a site like this o_O.

@lasse, @Voltus, and Clerik are just a few of the people in the underdog group that makes awesome music. I actually thought lasse had more fans by now X3. Would be really interesting to see an underdog snatch the prize away from the all-stars, so you guyz gotta work hard >:D.

@Troisnyx (probably got the name wrong) i've already told you this, but you were one of my favourite judges :).

And last, but not least @TheDoor6. Thanks for being awesome enough to host this contest :). It really is a great idea, and I think it really will help underdogs to stand out! You have an amazing personality, and people as awesome as you are rare to come by. Yes, I'm serious XD. Wish you good luck further in the competition :). Even though I didn't make it in I'll follow it closely, and I'll definetly come back if you decide to host it next year as well ;).
-Ectisity

Rainbow Stream
Send me a Pm if you want your track reviewed :).
Ectisity - Previously known as enochcity

BBS Signature
lasse
lasse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 04:53 AM Reply

I'm confused

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 04:55 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 04:37 AM, Ectisity wrote: @Troisnyx (probably got the name wrong) i've already told you this, but you were one of my favourite judges :).

No, you actually got it right, and the message came to me. Thank you. I did my best...

At 8/12/14 04:12 AM, ForeverBound wrote: maybe u become more popular if u atleast read the genre of the track right?

@D-chain @Troisnyx

Thanks for trying to gang up on me, jerk. I stated once before that the genres I wouldn't touch with the end of a barge pole were hip-hop, rap and rnb. Still ploughed my way through them.

There's EDM, and there's good EDM, and then there's outstanding EDM. You already sent me a private message or two; no need for snubbing anyone even further. I will otherwise consider you Purgy's next play-toy, and summon her over. As TheDoor6 said, this thread isn't the place for whinging about scores.

At 8/12/14 04:07 AM, SkyeWint wrote:
At 8/12/14 03:45 AM, Troisnyx wrote: FYI All-Stars group: technically I didn't need to review anything for the Tryouts. But if you find a review from me left on your song, you may perhaps find I was stricter than usual. I dished out a lot of 4s and 5s. And 7s. Some of you may probably be still waiting for a bit of feedback. When I'm able, I'll give it you.

Hey, uh. Trois. Don't worry so much about being the least-liked judge of a contest. It's not so bad. As long as your harshness is balanced out by being fair, and your criticism is helpful, people generally take it well.

On that front I did my best, but fairness wirh regards to music is both objective and subjective. It's the subjective part that will sting, I'm afraid. But you did similar too in previous years' NGADMS, so I guess I ought not to worry.

...you know, speaking as last year's Simon Cowell of the NGADM. Some hate happened. Talk to the people who didn't like it and try to explain it in a more friendly and personal way to them alone. It really, really works. They still might not like it, but they'll at least respect you if you aren't an ass about it.

I have received a PM of rage. Two perhaps. I'll still try to be friendly, but sometimes, my frankness will get the better of me... I'm almost unafraid to state what I'm feeling, and that's not really how a judge should behave, surely?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 05:22 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 04:55 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
Thanks for trying to gang up on me, jerk. I stated once before that the genres I wouldn't touch with the end of a barge pole were hip-hop, rap and rnb. Still ploughed my way through them.

There's EDM, and there's good EDM, and then there's outstanding EDM. You already sent me a private message or two; no need for snubbing anyone even further. I will otherwise consider you Purgy's next play-toy, and summon her over. As TheDoor6 said, this thread isn't the place for whinging about scores.

no further comments from me anymore cause I don't want to start ww3 here and I don't want to put u neither me in a bad spotlight so let's work this out in the pm's

BBS Signature
TheGoatee
TheGoatee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 05:39 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 05:22 AM, ForeverBound wrote:
At 8/12/14 04:55 AM, Troisnyx wrote:

no further comments from me anymore cause I don't want to start ww3 here and I don't want to put u neither me in a bad spotlight so let's work this out in the pm's

Now guys, that's enough...there should be no continuous arguing of this, even through private messaging...Foreverbound, stuff happens but you definitely can't blame one judge and let it halt everything. The majority of the music in the contest was EDM, so I'm sure it was really hard to judge. And Troisnyx, I think the thing that rubs people the wrong way isn't the fact that you can be harsh, it's that you openly state you do. When it comes up in a physical conversation and it comes off the top of your head, it's completely understandable, but I believe prior think that because you type it on the internet you have the option to take you time and cushion your words. Its just a matter of opinion, you do judge harsh but you give good criticism, so don't let someone complaining make you do the same, that's all. Both of you should at least have some respect for each other, even if you don't get along. That's all I'll say so I don't get in the middle of this, lets just make sure this is fun and leave the stress for off Newgrounds!:)

ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 05:44 AM Reply

Just to inform u I'm not picking on just 1 judge cause the other 2 also got a pm already. I'm a decent guy and I think we can work this out so please mind your own buisnis.

BBS Signature
TheGoatee
TheGoatee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 05:52 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 05:44 AM, ForeverBound wrote: Just to inform u I'm not picking on just 1 judge cause the other 2 also got a pm already. I'm a decent guy and I think we can work this out so please mind your own buisnis.

Good, then keep it private and don't get upset when people start to post about something that your obviously trying to make public... regardless, you make good music so good luck with your projects!

ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 05:56 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 05:52 AM, TheGoatee wrote:
Good, then keep it private and don't get upset when people start to post about something that your obviously trying to make public... regardless, you make good music so good luck with your projects!

Yes that was actually a huge mistake from me and I'm truely sorry for that I was filled with emotions cause a friend who makes awsome music also didn't make it so i'm kinda lost now but I think as I said before we can work this out. and thank u for your kind words =)

BBS Signature
D-Chain
D-Chain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 06:15 AM Reply

It was just a review from what i would call a rendom listener,
in this case it was a judge? i didnt know was a judge?.. and i dont really care that much.

@Foreverbound. do not defend me.. EVER.. if i would like to say something to the judges i would have done it before you did.
this is Newgrounds. the genre's of music go from A to Z , its just extremely wide and variable and the likes of one another vary too.. maybe Newgrounds just isnt the place for me and you to get 'known' because its just not as prefossional and probably not the site for us to get known. I have nothing against NG, its a great site for everyone and everything. ive been here since late 2007 and now its time to move on..

-The anti-climax guy. Or you can call me Mr. A because Mr. B is on a vacation to Brazil. HAH. HAH. HAH.

BBS Signature
TheGoatee
TheGoatee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 06:36 AM Reply

Lets make this thread about the contest again...can't wait to get started on a track for this round!

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 06:36 AM Reply

Let me tell you something @ForeverBound.

I have had similar experiences with Simon Cowells of the audio portal, and in the 2012 NGADM, the Simon Cowell of the year was Back-From-Purgatory.

In the semi-finals her score of 4 on Mio/Homura -- my submission for the round -- brought the piece down to a painful 6 against Waterflame's 7. Not only that, but you'll also find that said song has made it to a certain playlist of NG's worst music.

I did partly react the way you did. For a piece where effort has been put in, you'd take it bitterly. And I don't blame you. Can it be said, however, that the others just mashed some sounds together within a short span of time, and then wham, bam, thank you mam, they put it up?

Point is, if something's been judged harshly, there's no point taking a vendetta against anyone. I've learnt this the hard way. I am now only talking about this so that I can be reminded of it, and so that you may hopefully take a leaf from it. The best thing to do is to see what is good, see what is bad, hold on to the vision you had for said piece, and in due course, transform it. You may not think it possible now, but you will.

And listen, just because you didn't make this competition doesn't mean you'll not make others. I don't have the heart to call anyone a talentless poohead. In fact: in our correspondences I reaffirmed that you're a good musician. And good musicians sometimes make it, and sometimes don't. Sometimes they have big wins, and sometimes they have big losses. Mine are different from yours, granted -- but we chalk it up to experience and move on.

Also thanks @TheGoatee for looking out for us. I don't want there to be bad blood, but I cannot help being frank -- often to my own undoing.

Listen, no mishy-mushy stuff here anymore.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 06:44 AM Reply

ugh I was trying to avoid publicity bit if u insist I can make it a lot worse please just pm me back and as I said u aren't the only bitten person atm cause there are 2 others who are in the same boat as u are.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ofcl N.g.a.u.c Knock-out Rd. Thread Aug. 12th, 2014 @ 06:56 AM Reply

At 8/12/14 06:44 AM, ForeverBound wrote: ugh I was trying to avoid publicity bit if u insist I can make it a lot worse please just pm me back and as I said u aren't the only bitten person atm cause there are 2 others who are in the same boat as u are.

I have PMed you. No hostility from here on out, you hear?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature