00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Denoohay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help with microphone problem?

1,267 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 07:46:18

HI GUYS

Okay, so I've refrained from asking on a forum, especially Newgrounds, because I feel sort of stupid and it's probably the most simple issue ever. But here goes.

I have a Samson CO1U USB Condenser microphone. A lot of the time it's fine and records at a normal gain, sometimes I have to turn the input down a little or make sure I'm not too close to it to avoid the audio going into the red. Now bear in mind I've had this microphone for quite a while now. Occasionally, I'll switch my laptop on and plug it in and the gain will be right down. Like, -20db. This will last for a few months and then randomly one day I'll plug it in and it'll be back to normal.

I've never managed to work out how or why it does this and for this few months period, I can't really record instruments acoustically because having to turn it up +17db brings more hiss than it usually would. Recording vocals is... okay I guess, but not as clear as it would be if it were recording normally, once again because of the extra hiss and the extra effects needed to make the vocals as clear as possible. Now that the NGADM Round 1 has commenced, I thought it would be a good idea to try and fix this.

So, first thing I immediately thought due to the amount it dropped by was perhaps it had something to do with the "Boost" function that you click to make the input always +20 and that perhaps that had somehow been unchecked. I go into the properties for the microphone and go to the "levels" tab where the microphone boost is for my laptop's internal microphone, however, there isn't any microphone boost.

I have three USB ports on my laptop and the case is the same with all of them. Perhaps one of you might hold the secret to my problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 07:55:26

Does your mic (or mic software) have a "phantom power" feature?

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 08:05:14

Are you using a more recent Windows operating system? There's a feature that prioritises certain audio features other others such as when you're in a skype call etc and it's really, really stupid. It always gets it wrong.
Assuming you're using Windows 7 (and I think it's the same on 8)...
To make sure this feature is disabled (NUKE IT!), right click the little speaker icon in the system tray (bottom right), choose "playback devices" to open the audio menu. Now choose the "communications" tab and click on the "none" option.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 08:06:15

I mean the "do nothing" option. Sorry.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 08:17:13

At 8/8/14 07:55 AM, lexahergon wrote: Does your mic (or mic software) have a "phantom power" feature?

Not that I'm aware of.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 08:18:15

At 8/8/14 08:05 AM, MetalRenard wrote: To make sure this feature is disabled (NUKE IT!), right click the little speaker icon in the system tray (bottom right), choose "playback devices" to open the audio menu. Now choose the "communications" tab and click on the "none" option.

It was already on Do Nothing :)

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 08:21:32

What condition is your cable in? Any breaks in the wires etc could cause that problem too.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 08:35:32

At 8/8/14 08:21 AM, MetalRenard wrote: What condition is your cable in? Any breaks in the wires etc could cause that problem too.

No breaks in the cable anywhere that I can see.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 13:29:18

are you charging or on battery when it does this?

p.s. i am gay

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 13:30:14

At 8/8/14 01:29 PM, midimachine wrote: are you charging or on battery when it does this?

My laptop's generally always on charge so the battery-life doesn't wear down.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 15:06:09

Are you able to plug it into another USB port? Sometimes my mic will act the same way, and switching ports does the trick.

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 15:08:13

I have three USB ports on my laptop and the case is the same with all of them. Perhaps one of you might hold the secret to my problem!

Just read you already tried other USB ports, I am derp. Can you change gain directly on the USB cable?

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 15:28:33

At 8/8/14 03:08 PM, headphoamz wrote:
Just read you already tried other USB ports, I am derp. Can you change gain directly on the USB cable?

Hiya Elspy, how would I go about doing that?

BBS Signature

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 16:36:06

At 8/8/14 03:28 PM, etherealwinds wrote:
At 8/8/14 03:08 PM, headphoamz wrote:
Hiya Elspy, how would I go about doing that?

Well, I'm curious if you have some sort of interface that connects the mic to the computer. Is your mic USB, or is it XLR and converts to USB? That's how mine is set up and I'm wondering if you have some sort of dial that lets you fiddle with connection settings.
Also, maybe there's something in your audio software that's malfunctioning and it's not the mic itself! Logic has been tricksy with me a number of times.

Response to Help with microphone problem? 2014-08-08 17:24:10

At 8/8/14 04:36 PM, headphoamz wrote: Well, I'm curious if you have some sort of interface that connects the mic to the computer. Is your mic USB, or is it XLR and converts to USB? That's how mine is set up and I'm wondering if you have some sort of dial that lets you fiddle with connection settings.
Also, maybe there's something in your audio software that's malfunctioning and it's not the mic itself! Logic has been tricksy with me a number of times.

It's just straight USB and I have Audacity, Adobe Audition and FL and of course use it on Skype too and it's the same throughout all of them.

BBS Signature