00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M '14: Group Stages

34,734 Views | 522 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-23 12:01:59

At 8/23/14 11:51 AM, JRob wrote:
At 8/22/14 10:50 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 8/22/14 09:59 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Three days to go till results are out, and I'm not quite looking forward to it...
1 out 4 chance. I don't like the odds...
The odds are...good

What, you think so?

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-23 12:19:15

At 8/23/14 08:16 AM, Sequenced wrote: you disappoint me step

saquencd pls

At 8/23/14 10:50 AM, Nimble wrote: I'm not even sure where my piece fell into category-wise.

Other, obviously :p.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-23 13:54:08

I gave up on metal, in hope that one day I'll have the time and resources to get the satisfying production value and workflow I'd want when making it.

Metal is by far what I listen most to on a daily basis, but I'm very picky about production.

I love massive soundscapes.
I love groove. I love that "cosmic" vibe some modern metal bands have nowadays, with very echoey spacious lead guitars and gut-churningly-low riffs that sound like galaxies colliding.
I'm also pretty uptight about vocals, in that, if the screams start to sound like those screamo/emo bands, I stop stomaching it.
(I don't mind the most brutal of screams, at all, but there's a very specific register that, to my ears, is devoid of power instead of being the strong guttural roars a metal singer should [IMO] be aiming for).

Anyway, getting a good metal sound can be moderately easy.
Getting a fantastic, distinct metal sound is Damn Hard.

That's because you're working with real instruments (well, guitars,at least) and are aiming for sounds that are very mix-hostile.
Getting a sound to tear you a new one and sound very polished and well produced at the same time takes a sort of skill that's fairly under-appreciated.

That's why I get really excited when I see someone on NG (or in general) doing it particularly well.

Workflow is another issue. You're working with real instruments, so you have to be open to constantly switching between roles and be very comfortable with a segmented production process.

Metal bands get it done because there's multiple members and usually a different person taking care of the studio side.
A solo metal writer/recorder/producer will have a truckload of work to go through to produce a track.

I'd say metal is one of the hardest genres to excel at on your own, because you need both technical ability with a real instrument as well as great production/mixing/mastering skills within a genre that's very hard to get a top notch sound out of .

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-23 19:57:35

Workflow is another issue. You're working with real instruments, so you have to be open to constantly switching between roles and be very comfortable with a segmented production process.

Metal bands get it done because there's multiple members and usually a different person taking care of the studio side.
A solo metal writer/recorder/producer will have a truckload of work to go through to produce a track.

I'd say metal is one of the hardest genres to excel at on your own, because you need both technical ability with a real instrument as well as great production/mixing/mastering skills within a genre that's very hard to get a top notch sound out of .

I honestly don't think that metal is harder than any other genre per se, but the difficulty lies in knowing what sounds awesome, and what sounds like being a try-hard...but that's with anything. For me, I have all the equipment to play metal, and the knowledge to mix it up fairly well, but I find that I just can't bring myself to sing tough-guy BS with anything other than eye-rolling sarcasm. Which is why I always gravitate towards writing songs as subtle (or not-so-subtle) jokes. People can't make fun of me if I'm already making fun of myself!

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-23 20:41:35

At 8/23/14 07:57 PM, Ceevro wrote:

I honestly don't think that metal is harder than any other genre per se, but the difficulty lies in knowing what sounds awesome, and what sounds like being a try-hard...but that's with anything. For me, I have all the equipment to play metal, and the knowledge to mix it up fairly well, but I find that I just can't bring myself to sing tough-guy BS with anything other than eye-rolling sarcasm. Which is why I always gravitate towards writing songs as subtle (or not-so-subtle) jokes. People can't make fun of me if I'm already making fun of myself!

Makes sense. Lyrical content in metal is a fragile thing, because it's hard to come off as genuine in emotion WHILE YOU'RE SCREAMING - YOUR GUUUUUUTS - INN THEEEE MIIIIICCCC *BREAK*! CHUG-CHUG-CHUG-CHUG-TWANG-TWANG

But I do think workflow in metal is less comfortable.

>Pick up guitar.
>Write a riff.
>Is this riff cool? I better add a beat to it so I can tell better.
>Put down guitar.
>Add a beat with Superior Drummer
>Nah. This is shit. Better start over.
9 hours later.
>Okay, now I have a song. Time to actually track the guitars for real after I've practiced the riffs to the point where I can play them impeccably.

Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-23 23:14:14

At 8/23/14 08:01 AM, Step wrote: Techno/EDM/IDM: 25

nailed it lol

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-23 23:53:29

Someone is still zero-bombing some of the submissions, mine and Elitistinen's has dropped about a point in the last 2 days. And it's obviously someone with a high voting power and possibly using alts, since I checked to see how much influence my voting power had and it only raised it by about .09.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 00:14:58

At 8/23/14 11:53 PM, JRob wrote: Someone is still zero-bombing some of the submissions

oh sorry i'll stop now

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 00:16:12

At 8/23/14 11:53 PM, JRob wrote: Someone is still zero-bombing some of the submissions, mine and Elitistinen's has dropped about a point in the last 2 days. And it's obviously someone with a high voting power and possibly using alts, since I checked to see how much influence my voting power had and it only raised it by about .09.

The great thing about NGADM is it's one of the very few places where zero-bombing is pointless, since the judges scores give a much better bearing on how good your song is. And judges don't zero-bomb (except midimachine)

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 00:17:12

At 8/24/14 12:14 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/23/14 11:53 PM, JRob wrote: Someone is still zero-bombing some of the submissions
oh sorry i'll stop now

This is funny because I wrote my last post without seeing this.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 00:31:07

oh sorry i'll stop now

I kind of object to this.

All judges should have the same level of interaction with the contestants.

I would kindly request that the other judges analyze this situation and consider going on zerobombing sprees of their own to eliminate any potential sign of unequal treatment of contestants.

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 00:40:09

At 8/24/14 12:16 AM, johnfn wrote: The great thing about NGADM is it's one of the very few places where zero-bombing is pointless

Totally. Actually, it's always pointless.
I just zero-bombed you btw, hope you don't mind

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 00:54:31

At 8/24/14 12:40 AM, garlagan wrote:
At 8/24/14 12:16 AM, johnfn wrote: The great thing about NGADM is it's one of the very few places where zero-bombing is pointless
Totally. Actually, it's always pointless.
I just zero-bombed you btw, hope you don't mind

Dang, why can't someone zero-bomb my track?
I guess I'll just have to do it myself!

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 00:54:31

My tracks get zero-bombed all the time. I take it as a compliment.

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 00:55:50

At 8/24/14 12:54 AM, JacobCadmus wrote: My tracks get zero-bombed all the time. I take it as a compliment.

sure sign that more ears are listening...

btw, I just don't have enough voting power to lower mine. :(

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 01:09:07

At 8/24/14 12:55 AM, Phonometrologist wrote: sure sign that more ears are listening...

Not sure why you'd wanna do it yourself. I suppose I could zero-bomb yours for you, if you ask nicely.

Although my voting power isn't that great either...

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 01:15:40

At 8/24/14 01:09 AM, JacobCadmus wrote:
At 8/24/14 12:55 AM, Phonometrologist wrote: sure sign that more ears are listening...

Not sure why you'd wanna do it yourself. I suppose I could zero-bomb yours for you, if you ask nicely.

Although my voting power isn't that great either...

Just didn't want to feel left out is all ...
But really, just to make a point about how much it really doesn't matter, and so I zero-bombed myself

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 02:01:45

Welp, with Oceans Wide making it to Featured Audio, there's bound to be a fair amount of zero-bombing. We've been through this before.

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 03:11:57

oh sorry i'll stop now

Your voting power is too low for it to be you, unless you're using alts to supplement it

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 05:06:18

LunyAlex do you listen to Soilwork?
CHUG CHUG CHUG GROWL GROWL
*EPIC CHORUS*
CHUGCHUGaCHUG

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 05:08:16

At 8/24/14 03:11 AM, JRob wrote:
oh sorry i'll stop now
Your voting power is too low for it to be you, unless you're using alts to supplement it

yeah pimp is my alt

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 07:07:22

Getting towards the end of my judging now and I want to say that there have been some amazing things created for this contest and all the participants (at least as far as I know) are being so supportive of each other, I love it.
This is what a forum is about. This is what music should be about, always.
Keep it up guys.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 07:20:02

LOL, this is my life almost everyday. Still trying to bring out an EP from 2 years ago.

At 8/23/14 08:41 PM, LunyAlex wrote: >Pick up guitar.
>Write a riff.
>Put down guitar.
9 hours later.
>Okay, now I have a song. Time to actually track the guitars for real after I've practiced the riffs to the point where I can play them impeccably.

Gawd dammit sheesh

Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 10:23:51

At 8/24/14 07:07 AM, MetalRenard wrote: Getting towards the end of my judging now and I want to say that there have been some amazing things created for this contest and all the participants (at least as far as I know) are being so supportive of each other, I love it.
This is what a forum is about. This is what music should be about, always.
Keep it up guys.

Amen.

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 11:01:14

At 8/24/14 07:20 AM, PirateCrab wrote: LOL, this is my life almost everyday. Still trying to bring out an EP from 2 years ago.

At 8/23/14 08:41 PM, LunyAlex wrote: >Pick up guitar.
>Write a riff.
>Put down guitar.
9 hours later.

Pretty much all I can do along those lines is stereotypical J-rock...... which, while I like it, gets stifling after a while.

All I can do when it comes to metal are the symphonic bits, and to a lesser degree, drums.

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 12:26:49

so after i beat acid paradox tomorrow

does that make me the better brostep producer

lel

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 12:28:17

Pardon the double post but: @Step, I know the results are due tomorrow, and that you're likely the person to release them. Do you judges have a specific time on which the results will be out, by any chance?

Now I don't expect them to be at the crack of dawn or what have you, but a set time keeps us away from watching like a hawk for a new forum thread. In Britain alone we were waiting till 9:00 pm, and it was certainly later for you...

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 12:28:38

At 8/24/14 12:26 PM, Sequenced wrote: so after i beat acid paradox tomorrow

beat him at getting a low score u mean looooooool

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 12:29:52

At 8/24/14 12:28 PM, midimachine wrote:
At 8/24/14 12:26 PM, Sequenced wrote: so after i beat acid paradox tomorrow

beat him at getting a low score u mean looooooool

AH HA

ur just jealous i have a bigger penis and my gorgeous hair

lel

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Group Stages 2014-08-24 13:15:27

At 8/24/14 12:28 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Pardon the double post but: @Step, I know the results are due tomorrow, and that you're likely the person to release them. Do you judges have a specific time on which the results will be out, by any chance?

Now I don't expect them to be at the crack of dawn or what have you, but a set time keeps us away from watching like a hawk for a new forum thread. In Britain alone we were waiting till 9:00 pm, and it was certainly later for you...

It's really tough to say. We've got judges from America, Australia and Europe, so the timezones really differ, and not all of us are done yet. On top of that, once we get all of the scores we need to input them into the spreadsheets, calculate the results, decide the pairings, write up the thread, format everything, proofread, prepare PM notifications, battle raccoons, etc. It's a lot of work! Having said that, I wouldn't expect the results early in the day since most judges use the final day to finish off their results. I know I have to - I'm writing reviews on each one and it's taking forever!

Keep in mind that the suspense is part of the competition though. Also, you'll get a PM when the results are out as per usual, so there's no need to murder the F5 button checking the forum!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature