Respond to this Topic
JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:19:09 Reply

If there's one thing I wish is that adult content received more support, I can understand the reasons for not eligible for ad revenue but that in no way makes it less frustrating. I make more ad revenue from posting to the front page (like a penny) then the nothing I'll ever see from most of work. It's really annoying when I spend a few days on a small little game shooting game and it generates a nice chunk of ad revenue but will never see a penny on an adult game I made that I spent like 3-4 months working on.

It's not worth doing but I like doing it, unless you have your own website like Shadman or take commissions there no way to make money from it. But note I'm speaking in general on this point, no site other then Newgrounds that allows adult content has revenue sharing.

However if there's one thing that Newgrounds does provide for adult content is views, there is no site other then Newgrounds where I see even nearly as many views.

too bad views don't matter on YouTube, AMIRITE!
Hizu
Hizu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:22:16 Reply

My tactic is to just post my shit everywhere. =|

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyueKVJMcbw

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:23:02 Reply

As seeing as a lot of big guys are turning to patreon these days, have you thought of adding "support this artist" features to encourage people to keep posting on NG? It could be as little as a special button you could put on your submissions that links to your personal donations page.

OR you know what as long as people are paying for supporter badges, wouldn't it be cool if you could designate some percentage of your donation towards specific people? The main reason I'm not donating to any patreon/paypal or buying any shirts is 'cause some unknown amount of that money is going to someone else. but if it were through NG, I'd be totally ok.

OR I think a while ago when the issue of speedpaints in the portal came up someone suggested having a separate section on NG for "behind the scenes-y" type of content. Maybe people could put up bonus content (tutorials, time-lapses, wips, flash files, outtakes, concept art, etc) and then people could download bundles in exchange for a pay what you want donation. Or some fixed amount for the whole package. No one's offering that sort of service yet, and I know most of the people who'd want to buy it are probably on NG anyway.

Ok just spitballin ok just trying to ok

here's what I meant with that first idea by the way:

YouTube and Animators

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:25:28 Reply

At 8/3/14 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: I can't promise that you will ever make a living off NG but I can promise that taking the time to involve yourself with NG will only help you.

We don't come to Newgrounds to make a living, we come to Newgrounds to be a part of the community

Gi-go
Gi-go
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Filmmaker
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:29:48 Reply

Great post.

I really dislike YT when it comes to finding any kind of original/creative content. No site can ever beat NG's filtration system, where the funniest/most creative content truly rises to the top instead of a video of a baby laughing or some dude getting hit in the balls. YT sells contrived personalities, not original content. NG and Deviantart are the only reliable hubs for creative content on the internet imo.

PS- Not sure anyone said anything but I thought it was cool that Maddox mentioned NG as one of the few cool sites for creative content on the internet on his podcast.

NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:30:33 Reply

Here's a video with further detail on what Youtube has been doing.

BBS Signature
ebolaworld
ebolaworld
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:31:04 Reply

I'll never leave NG! I grew up here and it helped me get noticed and become who I am today. I only wish that I could post everything that I post on Youtube. Newgrounds still has that 'animation only' feel, as I get very cold responses when I post something that isn't animated.

BBS Signature
Radaketor
Radaketor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:32:36 Reply

At 8/3/14 01:54 PM, Zachary wrote: Anyway, what I am trying to say is if you are an animator reading this and you want to become a professional animator, most likely it never happen and you will probably die working a shitty job until you are 80 years old LOL

That's the spirit!

ZenithQuinn
ZenithQuinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:43:13 Reply

Youtube is going to shit, I hope newgrounds makes a big comeback. Newgrounds has the advantage in the sense it has a great community.

Here's a crazy idea... for content on newgrounds why not set up some sore of virtual tipjar option where users can tip a dollar or some bitcoin or whatever to a user who creates a great piece of content. With a small percentage going to NG, and the rest going to the creator. The tipjar would be publicly visible so people can see how much has already been donated. I know if bitcoin was one of the ways to tip, it would get a lot of attention coming newgrounds way!

Also Tom, now would be a great time to do an AMA on reddit! ;)

Gi-go
Gi-go
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Filmmaker
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:46:44 Reply

As a film maker, I wish that the NG team or people similar to you guys could make an NG type site based around original films.

YT's layout is a fucking mess and trying to sift through all of the garbage there is impossible. I would absolutely love a video site with a proper portal that featured quality content on the front page, as well as awards for the best content.

CalebJordan360
CalebJordan360
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:47:21 Reply

I love Newgrounds, i've been part of the community since 06...but i also love YouTube and i've been part of that community for just as long! I post everything i create here, as well as YouTube. Is there anything we can do to fight and make it fair for animators to thrive on the YouTube platform?!

Cronizone
Cronizone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Filmmaker
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 14:53:05 Reply

You speak a mighty truth but at the same time this is a waste of a forum post. Though I agree that animators should come to Newgrounds and start producing stuff that is more noticed here than there (YouTube), I read this on Newgrounds. Not YouTube.

You need to advertise it to the people that don't know Newgrounds, primarily Animators. Not advertise it on the website Animators that you think should migrate onto, already know about Newgrounds.

In a nutshell, a great forum post that allows people to know about your care for animators, but a horrid way of telling them.

A one word poem about Life.
Effort
Follow Me & Shit<a

BBS Signature
MarshalBacon
MarshalBacon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Filmmaker
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:02:40 Reply

NG is why I do animations and that is why I respect Tom and the entire team.
Keep growing my friend.

CalebJordan360
CalebJordan360
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:09:53 Reply

Why don't we all make one big video telling YouTube to make the playing field fair! Post it everywhere! Cause an uproar! Fight back dammit!

We shouln't give up so easily..

Domonization
Domonization
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:12:11 Reply

I love both and I'll post on both.

Domonization
Domonization
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:16:41 Reply

At 8/3/14 02:22 PM, Hizu wrote: My tactic is to just post my shit everywhere. =|

Me too!

NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:18:07 Reply

At 8/3/14 02:53 PM, Cronizone wrote: You speak a mighty truth but at the same time this is a waste of a forum post. Though I agree that animators should come to Newgrounds and start producing stuff that is more noticed here than there (YouTube), I read this on Newgrounds. Not YouTube.

You need to advertise it to the people that don't know Newgrounds, primarily Animators. Not advertise it on the website Animators that you think should migrate onto, already know about Newgrounds.

In a nutshell, a great forum post that allows people to know about your care for animators, but a horrid way of telling them.

This is something that should be up to the whole community. Get everyone to spread the word about Newgrounds. So Tom giving all his users this information shouldn't be considered a horrid way of telling people.

BBS Signature
Cronizone
Cronizone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Filmmaker
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:20:39 Reply

At 8/3/14 03:18 PM, NuclearInfected wrote:
At 8/3/14 02:53 PM, Cronizone wrote: You speak a mighty truth but at the same time this is a waste of a forum post. Though I agree that animators should come to Newgrounds and start producing stuff that is more noticed here than there (YouTube), I read this on Newgrounds. Not YouTube.

This is something that should be up to the whole community. Get everyone to spread the word about Newgrounds. So Tom giving all his users this information shouldn't be considered a horrid way of telling people.

I understand that, and I do note that he is trying to tell the community to help advertise and spread word for Newgrounds but since he has money for advertisements not to mention that games like Battleblock and others seem really known around this day and age... why not throw in a little Newgrounds advertisement in it?

All we can do is spread, but what he can do, considering hes the lord of the website, he has a greater power.

A one word poem about Life.
Effort
Follow Me & Shit<a

BBS Signature
Wayero
Wayero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:28:31 Reply

You tell 'em, Tom.

I started visiting Newgrounds in 2000 AD and never stopped visiting NG for top quality flash games and animations. I will admit that NG was in a lull for a few years after Youtube became the go to source for videos, but as you admit, you learned a lesson and starting evolving the NG infrastructure. I wish the NG good luck in maintaining its internet relevance for the types of content it hosts.

jecjoker
jecjoker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:29:07 Reply

Honestly I feel like Newgrounds should still be the one to make the most of it all. Help introduce artist to all means of publicity. Help them on all platforms that they share content, and have Newgrounds be the middle ground for them all. Start a YouTube network, drive social media (For the love of god don't pay for Facebook advertisements EVER), and best of all use this to improve what Newgrounds does and provides.

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:29:24 Reply

Well I hope we can all work shit out in the end. Good luck Newgrounds and animators!

I have a penis

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:39:58 Reply

At 8/3/14 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: These past few days...(excerpt)

I agree 100%. But I have some words I hope the animators will see.

Dear Animators of Newgrounds,

It's cool you want to make a living off your animations, but you shouldn't lean on that at first. Build your dream and have a job and it's all good. Youtube's crowd imo is worse than NG because of the insanity going on in those comment sections. Here, you will find many intellectuals with a brain (even though there are some hacks in the forums) who can give you positive insightful feedback. It focuses on you and you aren't crowded by professional famous artists or anything.

The ones who ARE famous, are famous because they started here, such as Egoraptor, Jaxxy, Oney, and so on. Many people found opportunities here, and you won't find as much of that on youtube. Unlike youtube, this is a dedicated site who won't screw up their layouts every year like YouTube, and is more creative focused. YouTube started mostly as more vlog focused and random stuff.

Because of being here, 2 years after i made this account in 2006, when I uploaded a lot of music, I got asked if Simple Sight (one of my songs) could be used in a game called Castle Crashers. Tom Fulp is a developer in The Behemoth (the company that made the game) that branched from Newgrounds. Because of this, even though it took time, I've gotten more opportunities as the years have gone on, and I could very well be on the verge of being involved with a tv show Cartoon Network is interested in. I've been on board but CN and BBC and others are interested at this point.

You won't find that genuine connection on YouTube, so I encourage you all, stay true to NG's colors and stay here, and start advertising your newgrounds page and bring people here. Newgrounds needs you, and you need newgrounds. Don't forget your roots. Don't forget the people that helped you get to where you are. Let's push this community further and higher! My life is changed because of Tom and the opportunities I have now, and it means I won't be stuck working at a pizza place forever and can live my dream.

Thank you Newgrounds. Can't wait to celebrate my 10 years in 2016.

Sincerely,
RF

FANTASHOW100
FANTASHOW100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:51:47 Reply

At 8/3/14 02:46 PM, Gi-go wrote: As a film maker, I wish that the NG team or people similar to you guys could make an NG type site based around original films.

YT's layout is a fucking mess and trying to sift through all of the garbage there is impossible. I would absolutely love a video site with a proper portal that featured quality content on the front page, as well as awards for the best content.

Perhaps a live action portal? If that happens, I want vlogs to be a banned offense.

bocodamondo
bocodamondo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:55:09 Reply

i was never one of those who decided to leave Newgrounds for Youtube, i allways sticked with both since i started back in 2009.
of course i have more videos there but those are like my "fusion project" stuff wich i KNOW will be destroyed with negative rating here so yeah...

Watch This Or You Will Die

also NVIDIA GeForce G210M

BBS Signature
MysticSkillz
MysticSkillz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:57:27 Reply

I for one publish here on Newgrounds first before youtube.

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature
Hikarian
Hikarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 15:59:00 Reply

I love Newgrounds. You have a lot to be proud of. And I'll keep returning whenever I have something that I'm proud of as well.
I think it's easy to get a bit lost on the Internet these days, because you have the potential of make a living off of it if you're lucky. But it was never really about the money to begin with, was it? Because if it was there would certainly be easier ways to go than being an Internet animator.

BBS Signature
LoboF
LoboF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 16:01:10 Reply

When I see these animators protesting about lost space for vloggers and "let's play" channels, the first thing who I thought was, why they don't boycott YouTube? prioritizing websites like Newgrounds?
Animations have more views on YouTube because animator promote only the link to the video on YouTube.

If animators start to give more attention to Newgrounds who prioritize independent animation and cares more to the quality of content, promoting links to their content on Newgrounds, instead of YouTube, giving YouTube a secondary priority, Newgrounds will regain the popularity as a animators community (making advertisers look at Newgrounds), forcing YouTube to place more value on animators.

or YouTube don't would give a shit, who knows?

I really never understood why some animators upload all they content on YouTube and only a part on Newgrounds.

cowgoesmoo2
cowgoesmoo2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 16:11:07 Reply

F**** youtube.
Newgrounds FTW. While newgrounds cannot be a complete replacement for youtube, partly because youtube is part trash and part culturally different, newgrounds should do its best drawing animators out and away from trashtube.

BBS Signature
Iviqrr
Iviqrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 16:20:51 Reply

I exclusivly post the music I write to Newgrounds, it's the only site you can find it on unless someone took it and re-uploaded somewhere else (or used in a video and credited). However I just don't get a lot of views and I get like 1 review every 3 songs. If I don't get reviews telling me what I should improve on I won't (and currently don't) know how to go on without just making the same crap over and over. Because of all of this, I have considered moving to Youtube or stuff like Soundcloud but NG is still the easiest place to upload. The big problem is starting something up from scratch on NG cause you get no damn views, unless you already have a big following, you won't get any more than 50-100 views on latest creation.

It's just my view on it, yours might be completely different but that's my experience so far and I'm strongly considering going somewhere else.

I make music and art, if you want to collab on something hit me up on my skype: Iviqrr

FANTASHOW100
FANTASHOW100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-03 16:21:47 Reply

Newgrounds is fantastic, and I wish there were more people here to watch internet cartoons.

When I posted my Old Earth flash on Youtube, the only support I got was from my friends and family when I incessantly showed them. I feel like a loser when I have to do that.

Here, there's some viewership required, and an audience of people who want to watch cartoons. The best thing you can do for an artist (besides a comprehensive critique, but most people don't have the know-how) is to let them know they're working for a reason, because sometimes I'll be working, and think that I'm going to be the only one who enjoys the final product. That is the absolute worst.

Youtube is just barren when it comes to animation, and it makes me really sad that this time consuming media is being received so impatiently by a community that expects videos on a daily basis.

That being said, there are a couple of issues that come with NG. The "reviews", especially on popular submissions, are often abysmal. Most of them mistake the "helpful" button for a "like", and they're just blindly competing for them. There's also the fact that a good majority of the content posted here these days are just cheap parodies. Remember when Flappy Bird was big? I don't want to either. I like to see what other people create on their own and how they think, so it does my head in every time I see a flash about another fucking Pokemon battle.

I really hope this site gets more recognition and original content. I see in this site the potential to be a springboard for the greatest visual media of our time, and I'll sing its praises to every animation/art fan I know until it happens... again.