00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout

1,422 Views | 24 Replies

My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:11:44

My best friend of 8 years is now 26 years old. He has never had a full time job, doesn't know anything about cooking, cleaning, or hygiene, and can't see a single project or idea to fruition.

We became friends because we have a similar sense of humor, similar taste in movies and shows, and similar critical ability. We met in college. I graduated and began what is now an extremely successful and fulfilling career, and he continued on to graduate school.

He introduced me to flash animation and even had a few small projects posted here on Newgrounds. I got into it thinking that I had a lot of work to do in order to catch up with him, but quickly found that what he had created and accomplished was easily below my ability. I learned more and more about comics, illustration, and animation, and he simply stagnated.
It wasn't that I had more time than he did to devote to personal projects - I was working 40 hour weeks and he was pulling 20 hour school weeks at his own pace. Furthermore, my job is absolutely and entirely unrelated to art and animation, so I have to completely shift gears when I sit down to doodle something.

The dude is married now to a good woman who is competent and successful, and who likes him for all the same reasons I do. Unfortunately, she's never lived with him so now she is slowly realizing what a slob he actually is, and how much of life he wastes just sitting around waxing "coulda, woulda, shoulda".

He has good ideas, and he's enthusiastic about them... but he just never sees them through. Also he's a weak pussy who is just now figuring out that to stay in good health he needs to exercise and not eat complete shit all the time.

I want him to succeed, I really do... but what the fuck? I don't know how he went from brilliant and hard-working to unproductive bum.

tl;dr - should I kill my best friend?

My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:13:14

At 7/16/14 04:11 PM, BoobMarley wrote: tl;dr - should I kill my best friend?

Have you tried talking to him and helping him find something to put his energy into? Are drugs a problem for him? Are videogames?

BBS Signature

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:20:36

At 7/16/14 04:13 PM, AxTekk wrote: Have you tried talking to him and helping him find something to put his energy into? Are drugs a problem for him? Are videogames?

Drugs and videogames aren't the issue at all, he doesn't do either. So no quick fix there.

I have talked to him about the future - about using his specific educational background and intellect (dude is seriously a beautiful mind, he quit grad school 1 year prior to finishing his PhD which he had a full scholarship for) in a multitude of fields. I've even sent him job descriptions and employer contact information.
I regards to his creative ideas, I encourage the shit out of them. I practically beg the man to finish drawing 2 comic series, put the final touches on a few cartoons he worked on, and add a few more frames to a game he almost completed. He just doesn't do it. And then he gets a new idea for some other project that he'll only abandon a few weeks later. Drives me crazy. What a waste.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:22:18

Why don't you just break down and bone him already. You sound way too involved in his business, even for a friend of eight years. You sound like an old nag wife.

He has a girlfriend and is attending graduate school? What kind of twisted definition of burnout do you have?

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:25:15

At 7/16/14 04:22 PM, Scintillating wrote: I'm a dumb retard who couldn't read the OP but had opinions about this thread going into it that I just couldn't be bothered to investigate or have challenged woop woop woop also I like ponies and sonicu

True, true...

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:27:39

At 7/16/14 04:18 PM, ManDeep wrote: Sounds exactly like me.

I dunno, man. You've done 21 illustrations since last year. That's more finished product and effort than he's invested into anything since 2010.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:34:39

At 7/16/14 04:25 PM, BoobMarley wrote:
At 7/16/14 04:22 PM, Scintillating wrote: I'm a dumb retard who couldn't read the OP but had opinions about this thread going into it that I just couldn't be bothered to investigate or have challenged woop woop woop also I like ponies and sonicu
True, true...

That one's gay, see. And that other one's a retard.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:37:43

At 7/16/14 04:34 PM, Chugger wrote: That one's gay, see. And that other one's a retard.

Sorry -- a dumb retard. I undersold it and it wasn't good for the brand.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:40:19

At 7/16/14 04:25 PM, BoobMarley wrote:
True, true...

I read the whole post and you never mentioned that he dropped out of graduate school. You posted that little IMPORTANT tidbit after I started typing up a response.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:40:39

I read "burnout" as "burrito"

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 16:42:43

At 7/16/14 04:39 PM, Voltage wrote:

:faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

No, my friend wants to do fun, creative stuff like animate, illustrate, and develop games. We're on the same page, he just can't read too well.

Also, I'm better than you in every way.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 17:15:29

At 7/16/14 04:40 PM, Jester wrote: I read "burnout" as "burrito"

Shit.
Did seriously make that big a mistake? Can a mod please correct this thread title to "My Best Friend Is Now A Burrito"?

At 7/16/14 04:45 PM, Voltage wrote:

:in 5 fucking years and your friend's gonna ride by being like "that guy really thought he was cooler than me, what a turd"

There is zero reason to think this will ever happen.
You read a scenario on the internet and because you identified with the burnout character, you vilified the author and in your unoriginal masturbatory fantasy of POETIC JUSTICE the author becomes the burnout in the end. What a twist! Wow, wouldn't that just serve that mean bad guy right...

At 7/16/14 04:40 PM, Scintillating wrote: I read the whole post and you never mentioned that he dropped out of graduate school. You posted that little IMPORTANT tidbit after I started typing up a response.

Right into my trap, you fool...

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 17:42:56

At 7/16/14 05:29 PM, 24901miles wrote: Maybe he doesn't do pointless things. You're talking about being productive but then in the same breath you're talking about scribbling down some cartoons. Art isn't generally a productive way to use your time.

The issue is that he doesn't do anything - professionally or creatively. It's entirely feasible to have a great career unrelated to art and then in your spare time scribble down some cartoons. I wouldn't be concerned for him too much if he was at least engaging in one of the two.

At 7/16/14 05:30 PM, Voltage wrote: You seriously blah blah blah I didn't read anything you wrote, am angry at myself, and need to make outlandish judgments completely unequivocal with my own life but nontheless a mirror of my innermost problems and fears...

You are literally dumb as shit. My friend is in a bad way and I'm rapping about it with the NG community.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 19:27:56

At 7/16/14 06:10 PM, 24901miles wrote: He must be doing something. People don't just go from Grad School to zero in a year. Do they?

I'm no expert, but what I'm hearing from this is depression. Exercise is certainly a way to fix that, but it takes motivation that it sounds like he's missing.

Also, what makes you call him a 'burnout'? And what was his focus in school?

No, he is doing nothing. He is not in school, he isn't even working part time. He's been on anti-depressant medication for a year now, so while depression might have been a factor earlier on... the underlying causes of his do-nothingness are a mystery to me.
His focus in school was stat, and he was excellent at it. It's practically a gateway into any job he wants, private or public sector. He was in the PhD program right from undergrad but tested for his master's degree and got it along the way after two years.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:08:23

Help the poor bastard.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:28:38

I know exactly where you're coming from with this, and I think the best thing you can do is try to have a real conversation with him about it. If you really are excelling in the things he introduced you to, that will affect him in such a way that he'll see you as superior in some sense. Use that leverage to convince him he needs to do something with his life, but in a respectful manner. As long as you're reasonable and calm about it, he has no motivation to see it as an 'overbearing friend' sort of thing.

I hope you do at least consider having this conversation with him, because I think it really could help him get on the right track.

At 7/16/14 04:11 PM, BoobMarley wrote: Unfortunately, she's never lived with him so now she is slowly realizing what a slob he actually is

I'm certainly not saying that your buddy's in the right here, but marrying someone without ever living with them (or at least knowing their living conditions) seems like a bit of an error.

BBS Signature

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:28:55

At 7/16/14 08:08 PM, NGPulp wrote: Help the poor bastard.

Go on...

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:31:29

At 7/16/14 08:28 PM, BoobMarley wrote: Go on...

Dunno.

Just-- help the poor bastard.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:36:18

At 7/16/14 08:31 PM, NGPulp wrote: Dunno.

Yeah, gee thanks. Great advice.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:40:19

At 7/16/14 08:36 PM, BoobMarley wrote:
At 7/16/14 08:31 PM, NGPulp wrote: Dunno.

Yeah, gee thanks. Great advice.

I'm not going to help you with that attitude.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:42:59

At 7/16/14 08:40 PM, poopmcfarts wrote: I'm not going to help you with that attitude.

Oh well?

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:48:09

At 7/16/14 08:36 PM, BoobMarley wrote: Yeah, gee thanks. Great advice.

I'm great with this advice stuff.

Ought to do this more often.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 20:48:35

let him waste his life, it's his choice.

BBS Signature

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 22:46:48

Still, though-- you gotta help him.

He's your best friend.

Response to My Best Friend Is Now A Burnout 2014-07-16 23:18:50

Sometimes people hit rock bottom before they realize that they're unsatisfied with their life. Instead of just handing the guy the classifieds, tell your friend up front about the concerns you have. Only tell him once, because repeating yourself may get annoying to him and make him unwilling to listen to you at all. It will be up to him alone whether he wants to improve or not, and if he doesn't take your advice seriously afterwards, stop wasting your energy on him.