New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 7/14/14 03:38 AM, Daverom wrote: Jack more or less has covered pretty much anything there is to be skeptic about on this, and just looking around for parts of what I can only assume goes into one of these, 200 to 300 doesn't seem all that unreasonable if you're factoring in custom-making each one while also paying for the use of the tools; although 300 does seem a bit steep to me but it's your pricing and I don't know exact numbers.

Something super problematic jumps out at me with the pledge tiers though. You are weighing these tiers way down with loads of stuff people may not actually want. The first one to actually have a lightbox as part of the reward is a $500 pledge, a whopping 200 more than the asking price for one. I would really recommend an option in there for $300 that's just a lightbox, and or a cheaper option for a smaller one.

By all means, sell your art through this as well if you want, it's your kickstarter. But I think it'd really help if there was more focus on getting people the actual product you are trying to get funding for.

I think you forget that one has to actually PROFIT from the pledges, and not just give the pledge worth away - this is raising money after all.

If all my pledges exactly reflected the price I was raising I wouldn't raise any money dude.. so 300 for the lightbox, and 200 money RAISED..

kickstarter isn't just about getting people swag, it's also about raising money for your own projects.

odditiesbyangela
odditiesbyangela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 10:00 AM Reply

I am also doing a Kickstarter campaign. Good luck, you have a great idea!

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 12:43 PM Reply

I think this could turn out to be a problem as well. (Unfortunate since you are facing a lot of scepticism already).

http://www.backlitbox.com

Or are these something different?

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 01:19 PM Reply

At 7/14/14 12:43 PM, Luwano wrote: I think this could turn out to be a problem as well. (Unfortunate since you are facing a lot of scepticism already).

http://www.backlitbox.com

Or are these something different?

those are a little different - for one they are more expensive, and for another the transformer they provide is hard wired directly into the wall or with a plug coming out the side. What makes my project different is the means to power it without it tapping into an existing electrical supply. Think of being able to walk around outside with a lightbox in your hands, and it is lit. That is the goal - to have that freedom to bring it and put it anywhere.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 01:21 PM Reply

At 7/14/14 10:00 AM, odditiesbyangela wrote: I am also doing a Kickstarter campaign. Good luck, you have a great idea!

thanks a lot - my kickstarter porject just became a kickstarter staff pic - so seems they think it is a great idea too! :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/recommended?ref=email

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 02:03 PM Reply

This is going to be my only post to this thread, but

At 7/14/14 01:19 PM, Chronamut wrote: those are a little different - for one they are more expensive

You're selling a 16x20 image for $300 in the Kickstarter project.
That website is selling a 16x24 image for $180.
It looks to me that your boxes are more expensive.

and for another the transformer they provide is hard wired directly into the wall or with a plug coming out the side. What makes my project different is the means to power it without it tapping into an existing electrical supply. Think of being able to walk around outside with a lightbox in your hands, and it is lit. That is the goal - to have that freedom to bring it and put it anywhere.

Firstly, I get the impression that your lightboxes aren't powered by solar panels at the moment, and that the steep goal you're asking for is to fund research into making the lightboxes solar powered and bigger.

Secondly, I don't like putting paintings in places where they get a lot of sunlight, which will be where the lightboxes get their power. Sunlight makes the image fade over time.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 7/14/14 02:03 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: This is going to be my only post to this thread, but
At 7/14/14 01:19 PM, Chronamut wrote: those are a little different - for one they are more expensive
You're selling a 16x20 image for $300 in the Kickstarter project.
That website is selling a 16x24 image for $180.
It looks to me that your boxes are more expensive.

no I am selling them in a gallery for 300 - I am selling them to people directly for 150.00.

and for another the transformer they provide is hard wired directly into the wall or with a plug coming out the side. What makes my project different is the means to power it without it tapping into an existing electrical supply. Think of being able to walk around outside with a lightbox in your hands, and it is lit. That is the goal - to have that freedom to bring it and put it anywhere.
Firstly, I get the impression that your lightboxes aren't powered by solar panels at the moment, and that the steep goal you're asking for is to fund research into making the lightboxes solar powered and bigger.

you got it.

Secondly, I don't like putting paintings in places where they get a lot of sunlight, which will be where the lightboxes get their power. Sunlight makes the image fade over time.

there is technology to deal with that so that they don't fade - but yes that is an issue of providing enough solar power without detrimentally affecting the image.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 04:33 PM Reply

another option I might look into are more or less "solar buds" - in which you power them and then "snap" them into the frame, providing you with a timeline of external power, much like a battery. The issue of powering them without plugging them in becomes an interesting issue, short of implementing some sort of perpetual motion system.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 04:52 PM Reply

made some more adjustments:

1) took out all mention of the word "lightbox" and replaced it with "illuminated works" or "independently powered illuminated works" - I want to made it clear that the main goal of this is to indeed make a self reliant system that relies very little if not on all on needing to be plugged in.

2) took out all personal benefiting of this project out of my story description - it is still mentioned in the video but I felt the description made it sound too "me" oriented, which ultimately it IS, but it might detract from a community feel to others.

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 06:31 PM Reply

Will they have a wall plug as well for the vast majority of people who dont have rooms/roofs/houses/wall space with enough light to power the solar cell?

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 7/14/14 09:41 AM, Chronamut wrote: If all my pledges exactly reflected the price I was raising I wouldn't raise any money dude.. so 300 for the lightbox, and 200 money RAISED..

Yet you keep saying you sell these out of studio for 150, where is the extra 150 coming from, let alone the extra 200 beyond that ON TOP of shipping? Not even touching on the fact that there is also a competitor who is beating your regular asking price hand over fist. More options, larger frames, and better prices with free shipping. Hell they're even frameless with custom artwork. I don't care about your studio price, that isn't what you're offering here. They sell what looks like a better product, cheaper, and hell they even go into detail about how they make it.

Transparency is incredibly important for a business, let alone a one person endeavor; and is more or less essential for a kickstarter (it's even in their TOS). If people don't know what you're doing with their money. If people can't trust you, they aren't going to give you their money.

kickstarter isn't just about getting people swag, it's also about raising money for your own projects.
I think you forget that one has to actually PROFIT from the pledges, and not just give the pledge worth away - this is raising money after all.

I'm gonna level with you.
Your business model is awful. It reeks of consumer mistrust and outright contempt, even after backpedaling about the ridiculous copyright stuff, you still refuse to plainly state where the money is going. People aren't coming to you, clamoring to get their hands on your product. You are going to them with a fundraiser and begging for money, and you won't even going to give them basic information on what their money is going towards beyond 'the expenses of pioneering?'

I'm not even interested in the product and I'm asking some pretty basic questions on things that concern me. Do you really think people aren't gonna ask these kinds of questions with half a grand as a pricepoint? You're even outright stating that the lightboxes cost significantly less than the pledge price. Do you think they'll except these vague answers and straight-up admission of blatant extortion?

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 7/14/14 01:19 PM, Chronamut wrote: Think of being able to walk around outside with a lightbox in your hands, and it is lit.

When would you ever want to do this?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 15th, 2014 @ 01:40 AM Reply

At 7/14/14 11:44 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/14/14 01:19 PM, Chronamut wrote: Think of being able to walk around outside with a lightbox in your hands, and it is lit.
When would you ever want to do this?

Dick in a lightbox.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 15th, 2014 @ 09:36 AM Reply

At 7/14/14 06:31 PM, ornery wrote: Will they have a wall plug as well for the vast majority of people who dont have rooms/roofs/houses/wall space with enough light to power the solar cell?

yes.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 15th, 2014 @ 09:46 AM Reply

At 7/14/14 09:53 PM, Daverom wrote:
At 7/14/14 09:41 AM, Chronamut wrote: If all my pledges exactly reflected the price I was raising I wouldn't raise any money dude.. so 300 for the lightbox, and 200 money RAISED..
Yet you keep saying you sell these out of studio for 150, where is the extra 150 coming from, let alone the extra 200 beyond that ON TOP of shipping? Not even touching on the fact that there is also a competitor who is beating your regular asking price hand over fist. More options, larger frames, and better prices with free shipping. Hell they're even frameless with custom artwork. I don't care about your studio price, that isn't what you're offering here. They sell what looks like a better product, cheaper, and hell they even go into detail about how they make it.

the other 150 goes towards being able to make another lightbox with that price - so 150 goes towards the cost and labour, and the other 150 to make another lightbox. At 150 I am not exactly profiting off of them. The remaining 200 will go towards my other goals - which is paying to modify them to have independently powered options, redoing the models to have different options - paying for an eventual studio, and all the tools I will need. I stated all the things the money is going towards - and no I didn't break it down step by step because frankly I don't KNOW how much it is all going to cost.

And they are not being my price hand over fist - if they are selling one for 180.00 for a 24 x 16, and I am selling them for 150 for a 20 x 16, that isn't much of a difference for almost the same size.

Transparency is incredibly important for a business, let alone a one person endeavor; and is more or less essential for a kickstarter (it's even in their TOS). If people don't know what you're doing with their money. If people can't trust you, they aren't going to give you their money.

I state where the money is going.

I'm gonna level with you.
Your business model is awful. It reeks of consumer mistrust and outright contempt, even after backpedaling about the ridiculous copyright stuff, you still refuse to plainly state where the money is going. People aren't coming to you, clamoring to get their hands on your product. You are going to them with a fundraiser and begging for money, and you won't even going to give them basic information on what their money is going towards beyond 'the expenses of pioneering?'

um no it doesn't - nowhere am I "mistrusting" people in my campaign.. and like I said I have told them what it is going towards, gallery and venue expenses, tools, a studio of my own to work in, and the technology I will have to trial and error in order to find the proper balance of self-sufficiency coupled with optional additional powering.

I'm not even interested in the product and I'm asking some pretty basic questions on things that concern me. Do you really think people aren't gonna ask these kinds of questions with half a grand as a pricepoint? You're even outright stating that the lightboxes cost significantly less than the pledge price. Do you think they'll except these vague answers and straight-up admission of blatant extortion?

I expect people to ask these questions - which is why I made this thread. One doesn't make a thread with the expectation that everyone is going to blindly praise their idea, and neither did I. This isn't blatent extortion, and unlike you I haven't come in with an openly hostile view towards this.

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 15th, 2014 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 7/15/14 09:46 AM, Chronamut wrote: and no I didn't break it down step by step because frankly I don't KNOW how much it is all going to cost.

You should really know that, man.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 15th, 2014 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 7/15/14 04:11 PM, JackDCurleo wrote:
At 7/15/14 09:46 AM, Chronamut wrote: and no I didn't break it down step by step because frankly I don't KNOW how much it is all going to cost.
You should really know that, man.

I am sorry but one can never fully know what the future will bring. I don't currently have a specific studio lined up nor will I know the future expenditure or the unforseen prices of the things I will have to pay for, or if those prices will be the same months from now, nor will I know the extent of everything I will need as time goes on.

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 15th, 2014 @ 07:20 PM Reply

At 7/15/14 04:25 PM, Chronamut wrote: I am sorry but one can never fully know what the future will bring. I don't currently have a specific studio lined up nor will I know the future expenditure or the unforseen prices of the things I will have to pay for, or if those prices will be the same months from now, nor will I know the extent of everything I will need as time goes on.

you've already built a few of these things, so you know how much the raw materials cost and as far as I know for the most part those prices will remain in a tight range for the foreseeable future. As far as not having a studio lined up, that is a pretty massive oversight, you should have talked to various people about the costs of studios for the next few months and factored in the highest prices and planned for that in the kickstarter; same goes for the "unforeseen prices" of things you will have to pay for. You need to come into these things more prepared, dude. You are asking for money from people and from the current state you appear to be in, I would say you are quite a ways away from being in a position where you should even be thinking of funding this project.
I would recommend doing all of your research into any plans regarding alternative power sources you have before doing the kick starter and not try to factor the research into the kick starter at all. Know exactly how much the solar panels cost (at the time) know how much the studios are going to be, have a plan for a number of light boxes you are going to make do something like a 10 box run if its successful, that way you can give an amount for the raw materials as well. I think you should also make a selection of smaller light boxes so that you don't have prices exclusively in the 150 + range. You're currently in a state where things are just too ambiguous, people don't want to fund pioneering, they want to fund action on current projects that they think are neat. And right now if I were to go exclusively off of your kickstarter page I'm not sure I'd be 100% sure what my money was going into.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 15th, 2014 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 7/15/14 07:20 PM, JackDCurleo wrote:
And right now if I were to go exclusively off of your kickstarter page I'm not sure I'd be 100% sure what my money was going into.

fair enough

Seriousle
Seriousle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 15th, 2014 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 7/14/14 01:16 AM, Chronamut wrote: even this thread has taught me a lot -so thanks guys :)

just my 2 cents here as most other points i have, have been noted n brought up prior, but one thing i want to bring to your attention, and i can see you are both very 'paranoid' n private, however.. these traits will hurt you in the kickstarter game,

for the most part minus the potato salad of coarse because thats just lolz but a successful kickstarter will have 1 or both of 2 things.

1. it is very transparent in how funds will be spent. people are very hesitant to give you 10,000 to have you make 1 $150 box, and then disappear with the rest of the fund and never be heard of again.. kick starters that explain. this is how much i want and this is what its for exactly people read it/see it and go 'oh that seems reasonable' then they are happy to pitch in their 2 cents.

2. rewards. now this is a little more challenging for you, but take for example the cooler you brought up, thats successful because of its rewards, its almost all physicals and you get a reward for the donation you make, your not pitching money to support the research of a product as much as you are physically preording the product

---------------
the biggest turn off for people on kick starters seem to be goals without any real logic or basis, and thats usually not because the person behind it hasnt worked it out themselves its just they dont know / or refuse to put it out there how much they are spending on what and where and how they came up with that ammount..
so when a person comes across your kickstarter and sees you want 10,000 to create $150 lightboxes, and they have no idea the work or costs that go into creating them, how will they justify giving you any money?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 16th, 2014 @ 01:13 AM Reply

At 7/15/14 11:28 PM, Seriousle wrote:
At 7/14/14 01:16 AM, Chronamut wrote: even this thread has taught me a lot -so thanks guys :)
just my 2 cents here as most other points i have, have been noted n brought up prior, but one thing i want to bring to your attention, and i can see you are both very 'paranoid' n private, however.. these traits will hurt you in the kickstarter game,

for the most part minus the potato salad of coarse because thats just lolz but a successful kickstarter will have 1 or both of 2 things.

1. it is very transparent in how funds will be spent. people are very hesitant to give you 10,000 to have you make 1 $150 box, and then disappear with the rest of the fund and never be heard of again.. kick starters that explain. this is how much i want and this is what its for exactly people read it/see it and go 'oh that seems reasonable' then they are happy to pitch in their 2 cents.

2. rewards. now this is a little more challenging for you, but take for example the cooler you brought up, thats successful because of its rewards, its almost all physicals and you get a reward for the donation you make, your not pitching money to support the research of a product as much as you are physically preording the product

---------------
the biggest turn off for people on kick starters seem to be goals without any real logic or basis, and thats usually not because the person behind it hasnt worked it out themselves its just they dont know / or refuse to put it out there how much they are spending on what and where and how they came up with that ammount..
so when a person comes across your kickstarter and sees you want 10,000 to create $150 lightboxes, and they have no idea the work or costs that go into creating them, how will they justify giving you any money?

tru enough! I am working out a breakdown as we speak - I often say the best way to learn is to fuck up, and then have everyone tell you what you did wrong - you learn MUCH faster then if you were to somehow understand this all beforehand and do ton of research - in field experience is always the best- after all - building codes are just an accumulation of what not to do after horrible things have happened when they were actually done..

my goal is to use photovoltaic strips as secondary power - they will not power the lightbox alone, but will instead provide auxillary power to the lithium ion rechargeable batteries inside, which will also be able to be plugged in to be recharged (ideally). Unfortunately as much as I would like these lightboxes to last forever.. it seems that even though the bulbs will never burn out, the transformers will eventually go. Constantly powered the lights can last anywhere from 5-10 years - and that is being lit non-stop.

Admittedly they don't look to bad during the day unlit, but look much better lit, even during the day.. the light just brings out a dimension to the image that makes it actually pop in 3d.

The batteries will need to be replaced eventually as well, as even rechargeable batteries don't last forever.. aand the photovoltaic cells will probably go eventually to. It is a problem with dealing with technology that, like everything, has a shelf life. My goal is to make it so that for a fee we can always repair them for people, or most of them can open it up, figure it out for themselves, and get the part they need to fix it themselves. Regardless most people won't have these on all the time and thus they should last years and years and years..

I have done a step by step breakdown of the price and where it is going on the kickstarter page - hopefully this helps :)

The price for the gallery is around the same price my friend who I am using his studio space paid for his, so I figure it is a good price, and will allow me to find one that has the resources I need. Also naturally I will not be neting 10 grand - probably more like 8 grand as with all the kickstarter rewards some of that will be eaten up through the rewards as well as the fees from the site, so I factored that into my price.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 16th, 2014 @ 01:21 AM Reply

I'd like to thank you all for your words of wisdom - it kind of feels like my campaign was a jagged rock that has been tumbled down a stream and is now smoother - and I am much more knowledgeable as a result :)

Wivernryder
Wivernryder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Art Lover
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 16th, 2014 @ 05:08 AM Reply

At 7/16/14 01:21 AM, Chronamut wrote: I'm a big poopy head

You're a big poopy head.

BBS Signature
Seriousle
Seriousle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 16th, 2014 @ 09:35 AM Reply

At 7/16/14 01:21 AM, Chronamut wrote: I'd like to thank you all for your words of wisdom - it kind of feels like my campaign was a jagged rock that has been tumbled down a stream and is now smoother - and I am much more knowledgeable as a result :)

if this kick starter fails, at least you have learnt a bunch, and your future attempts will avoid this giant hurdle!
there is always a silver lining!

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 16th, 2014 @ 04:12 PM Reply

At 7/16/14 05:08 AM, Wivernryder wrote:
At 7/16/14 01:21 AM, Chronamut wrote: I'm a big poopy head
You're a big poopy head.

you are probably right lol