New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 11th, 2014 @ 04:12 PM Reply

ok so some of you might know that a while back I made a bunch of lightboxes and they were really cool and all

well now I am starting a kickstarter campaign to fund mass production and to make some really BIG ones - we are talking like king sized bed big - I wanna go big with them, and I need funding to help that happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/897097162/illuminality-the-lightbox-experience-to-light-your

people can make pledges and get rewards back for doing so, and IF the campaign goes through, you will get your swag!

goal is 10,000.00 but it would be great if it went over that as well :)

heck even if you just wanna donate a dollar that's cool - every bit helps - help me spread the word like herpes in a chinatown alleyway!

Kickstarter campaign to fund art

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 11th, 2014 @ 06:16 PM Reply

This is great, I'll have to check, but I'm sure I can spare 200 bucks for a couple of neat background images!

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 11th, 2014 @ 10:55 PM Reply

This seems interesting...

Coinboi
Coinboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 11th, 2014 @ 11:18 PM Reply

That seems really interesting for everyone to see. It'll also make millions of dollars.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 11th, 2014 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 7/11/14 11:18 PM, zmosh wrote: That seems really interesting for everyone to see. It'll also make millions of dollars.

Hold it, tiger. It may make millions of dollars, but I have a feeling, since Newgrounds isn't that well known, the OP might make a good amount of money, but it's going to take a lot of patience and a lot of hard work to get this off the ground. No one should automatically assume this idea is going to succeed. Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, I'm just being realistic. That being said, I agree with everyone here; this idea is pretty cool and if I weren't in a financial choke hold, I would definitely support it.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 09:51 AM Reply

At 7/11/14 11:28 PM, theclassybutler wrote:
At 7/11/14 11:18 PM, zmosh wrote: That seems really interesting for everyone to see. It'll also make millions of dollars.
Hold it, tiger. It may make millions of dollars, but I have a feeling, since Newgrounds isn't that well known, the OP might make a good amount of money, but it's going to take a lot of patience and a lot of hard work to get this off the ground. No one should automatically assume this idea is going to succeed. Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, I'm just being realistic. That being said, I agree with everyone here; this idea is pretty cool and if I weren't in a financial choke hold, I would definitely support it.

well currently I am painstakingly creating them all by hand - if I got a lot of money that would actually allow me to source that part out - which would make things MUUUUUCH easier - or at least get parts custom painted, as the painting of the frames is the most cumbersome and annoying part of all.

also in case you didn't notice, you can pledge as low as a dollar to the project :)

and yes so far the patience part is kiling me.. no pledges as of yet, which is discouraging, because project such as THIS one are already cresting 3 million dollars.. so people clearly have money, they are just choosey where they dump it it seems. It makes me a little frustrated..

I still have 22 days left to go though at least.The guy who did reading rainbow did a kickstarter to bring it back - he got a million bucks in a DAY.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 09:55 AM Reply

At 7/11/14 06:16 PM, J-qb wrote: This is great, I'll have to check, but I'm sure I can spare 200 bucks for a couple of neat background images!

lol I can never tel if you people are being sarcastic or not. I am actually a bit nervous about this part, as I am giving the people the ACTUAL high res images.. I will have to put some sorta watermark on the bottom or something to protect copyright infringement, although all my works are locked away on fineartamerica so if legality ever became an issue I could bring that up..

also shipping around the world can get very costly, which is why I only started to give PHYSICAL things away as awards around the 500 dollar mark, and made them have to pay part of shipping to do so. I have never done anything like this before - but the gallery that I show the work with is owned by a friend of mine, and he does all the printing of my work, so at least we can work together in that regard.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 10:30 AM Reply

At 7/12/14 09:51 AM, Chronamut wrote: and yes so far the patience part is kiling me.. no pledges as of yet, which is discouraging, because project such as THIS one are already cresting 3 million dollars.. so people clearly have money, they are just choosey where they dump it it seems. It makes me a little frustrated..

Don't be frustrated that your Kickstarter isn't making as much as that one. The only reason the Coolest Cooler is making money is that it's actually worthwhile.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 10:49 AM Reply

At 7/12/14 10:30 AM, Aigis wrote:
Don't be frustrated that your Kickstarter isn't making as much as that one. The only reason the Coolest Cooler is making money is that it's actually worthwhile.

you're a jerk.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 7/12/14 10:49 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 7/12/14 10:30 AM, Aigis wrote: Don't be frustrated that your Kickstarter isn't making as much as that one. The only reason the Coolest Cooler is making money is that it's actually worthwhile.
you're a jerk.

Okay, I apologise for being so curt. I'll explain to you a few of the issues with your Kickstarter and why it might not get funded.

1. Your goal is to have these light boxes in corporate meeting rooms. You're asking for funding for your grand goal of selling art to corporations to put in their meeting rooms so their dumb corporate managers can have something to look at while they fall asleep in their dumb corporate meetings.

There's no public benefit. There's no great goal the Kickstarter's working towards. You're not putting these somewhere everyone can see them. You're not making the products accessible to people. There's no reason to want to back this project, other than to receive your rewards.

2. Your rewards kind of suck. You severely overvalue low resolution files of your fractal images.

For comparison, let's look at this currently running art-related Kickstarter. For the value of 4 background images in your Kickstarter, I could get that guy's hardback art book with 180 pages of nice-looking high quality illustrations on paper. Then I could scan them in to make background images if I felt like it.

3. You don't treat your potential backers with respect. Your constant emphasis that backers don't actually own the images you're sending them is you preemptively treating them like thieves.

4. The illustrations in your video look like they were drawn by a 15 year old. They do not reflect well on the artistic value of the fractals you're actually trying to fund.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 7/12/14 11:41 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/12/14 10:49 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 7/12/14 10:30 AM, Aigis wrote: Don't be frustrated that your Kickstarter isn't making as much as that one. The only reason the Coolest Cooler is making money is that it's actually worthwhile.
you're a jerk.
Okay, I apologise for being so curt. I'll explain to you a few of the issues with your Kickstarter and why it might not get funded.

1. Your goal is to have these light boxes in corporate meeting rooms. You're asking for funding for your grand goal of selling art to corporations to put in their meeting rooms so their dumb corporate managers can have something to look at while they fall asleep in their dumb corporate meetings.

There's no public benefit. There's no great goal the Kickstarter's working towards. You're not putting these somewhere everyone can see them. You're not making the products accessible to people. There's no reason to want to back this project, other than to receive your rewards.

2. Your rewards kind of suck. You severely overvalue low resolution files of your fractal images.

For comparison, let's look at this currently running art-related Kickstarter. For the value of 4 background images in your Kickstarter, I could get that guy's hardback art book with 180 pages of nice-looking high quality illustrations on paper. Then I could scan them in to make background images if I felt like it.

3. You don't treat your potential backers with respect. Your constant emphasis that backers don't actually own the images you're sending them is you preemptively treating them like thieves.

4. The illustrations in your video look like they were drawn by a 15 year old. They do not reflect well on the artistic value of the fractals you're actually trying to fund.

ok all valid points - also just because something is anime doesn't mean it was "drawn by a 15 year old" - a lot of those images actually have quite a lot of detail in them, and your pov is just that, a point of view, but you do have a point of making it more fractal centric, which I can very much do.

taking the corporations part out is probably a very good idea, the thieves things I am a bit paranoid about - as for what you could get for others - there is the issue of offering rewards that are worth almost as much if not as much as the pledge you are offering. I am rather skittish about that.. but I suppose I can offer more physical based rewards.

also I am putting these people can see them - corporations is only ONE thing my kickstarter mentions - it also mentions homes, patios, balconies, etc.

still this gives me something to work with - next time instead of just bashing something like that you may want to start off with what the person can improve on - as this IS my first kickstarter ever.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 02:03 PM Reply

also a good point was raised in the rewards - we are rather flexible on what we can produce as the gallery owner that showcases my work in his gallery is also the man that prints all my work - you guys maybe, after observing what i am trying to do, wanna throw in some ideas of rewards (keep in mind the pledges still have to make a profit - I can't eat it all up with rewards and shipping costs) that you would wish to have?

Ill start with instead of having low res images to instead send out posters or even cards

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 7/12/14 02:03 PM, Chronamut wrote: also a good point was raised in the rewards - we are rather flexible on what we can produce as the gallery owner that showcases my work in his gallery is also the man that prints all my work - you guys maybe, after observing what i am trying to do, wanna throw in some ideas of rewards (keep in mind the pledges still have to make a profit - I can't eat it all up with rewards and shipping costs) that you would wish to have?

Ill start with instead of having low res images to instead send out posters or even cards

also I don't know if it is fair to compare me, an up and coming artist to a fully established magic the gathering artist who is giving his book away for LESS than it is valued in stores. I can't provide the rewards he is providing, I just don't have the resources or all these "non-released" artworks specifically catered to kickstarter.. :(

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 03:20 PM Reply

ok I took your advice and made some changes:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/897097162/illuminality-the-lightbox-experience-to-light-your

1) all mistrust of the people is gone - I even provide an image with a distribution license for them to use as they wish

2) the rewards have been revamped - now they are almost all physical things - signed posters, framed copies, calenders with my work, cards with my work on it, and my book and lightboxes- that should make it a little more tantalizing without me spending ALL the money on the rewards. I also upped the shipping costs a bit as it will be pricey to send that stuff internationally.

3) the description has been revamped - now it showcases more the possibilities, and shows how everyone can benefit, from it being in public locations (corporate settings is gone) as well as in future allowing others to put their own work in the lightboxes

4) my friends are going to work on a more professional video that only showcases my fractal work. While I still state all my art has value, and all of it has sold in my gallery, I do agree that THIS kickstarter has to focus on the fractals, being they are the most vivid of my work, to drag those types of people in.

hopefully all of this is enough to entice people ;)

Luwano
Luwano
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 05:02 PM Reply

I think you take constructive crticism very well and appreciate that you try to apply it. I hope you don't mind if I throw in my two cents:

The video is more of a portfolio than a video related to the project. If you are already up for editing it, these kind of projects usually have a more informational video. What will be created with the money? How big, how many? Where will they be sold and about how much will they cost? These are not my questions, these are questions that people might be interested it, mostly stuff you also mention in the description.

And please don't get me wrong now, but you should consider replacing your user icon where you are dressed as LotR elf. While it makes clear that you are imaginative, it doesn't come across as "professional" or serious, I'd assume.

For creating a first project, 10.000 CA$ could turn out to be too big to pull off.

I really don't know of this is actually of help, but I wish you good luck with your project.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 12th, 2014 @ 05:16 PM Reply

At 7/12/14 05:02 PM, Luwano wrote: I think you take constructive crticism very well and appreciate that you try to apply it. I hope you don't mind if I throw in my two cents:

The video is more of a portfolio than a video related to the project. If you are already up for editing it, these kind of projects usually have a more informational video. What will be created with the money? How big, how many? Where will they be sold and about how much will they cost? These are not my questions, these are questions that people might be interested it, mostly stuff you also mention in the description.

And please don't get me wrong now, but you should consider replacing your user icon where you are dressed as LotR elf. While it makes clear that you are imaginative, it doesn't come across as "professional" or serious, I'd assume.

For creating a first project, 10.000 CA$ could turn out to be too big to pull off.

I really don't know of this is actually of help, but I wish you good luck with your project.

dunno about the price - I've seen some go for way more.. it will be an experiment and the only way to tell will be to try it out.

I don't want to talk about how the money will be spent as a lot of this is pioneering, so we trial and error as we go - and that's not really something people need to know - that is where the update function of the kickstarter after it ends comes in, so you can keep people posted on the progress. The video will be changed but it will focus more on what I am trying to do - not how the results will be. I hope you understand, but that would be miuch too stressful to try to strive for, esp. with so many unknowns in this field.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 09:19 PM Reply

ok so the new video is up! It took friggen forever and was the most tedious thing ever to sync all the text.. but I decided to use my weaknesses here as a strength, and make a point of the darkness :)

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 09:44 PM Reply

the video specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nroS-uWFJI

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 10:46 PM Reply

I would support this but its not potato salad.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 11:07 PM Reply

At 7/13/14 10:46 PM, ornery wrote: I would support this but its not potato salad.

Why the hell would anyone support potato salad? Anyone can make for very little money, and unless you're trying to kickstart a food product, I wouldn't use Kickstarter for potato salad.

ornery
ornery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 11:10 PM Reply

At 7/13/14 11:07 PM, theclassybutler wrote:
At 7/13/14 10:46 PM, ornery wrote: I would support this but its not potato salad.
Why the hell would anyone support potato salad? Anyone can make for very little money, and unless you're trying to kickstart a food product, I wouldn't use Kickstarter for potato salad.

6006 people and almost $50k (at time of posting) decided they would support potato salad.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 11:14 PM Reply

At 7/13/14 11:10 PM, ornery wrote:
At 7/13/14 11:07 PM, theclassybutler wrote:
6006 people and almost $50k (at time of posting) decided they would support potato salad.

that's ridiculous, but people will do anything if they get a piece of the action.

this is the only gross part.. it still has 2 weeks to go, and 2 weeks for processing after.. that potato salad is gonna have gone bad by the time he ships it out - oh well, he can use that money for legal fees :P

just like the coolest cooler guy can use his for legal fees when people electrocute themselves when the music docking station isn't exactly "waterproof"..

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 11:24 PM Reply

Looks good. Although I don't really think they would profit well if you somehow made them bigger. They're a tough sell even in regular size. Also the thing is that it isn't terribly entertaining nor exotic enough to be a center piece. Granted, I really thing 10k dollars is too high of a goal. I think this would realistically garner something more in the $600 - $800 dollar range and that's already lucky.

Sad truth

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 11:40 PM Reply

At 7/13/14 11:24 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Looks good. Although I don't really think they would profit well if you somehow made them bigger. They're a tough sell even in regular size. Also the thing is that it isn't terribly entertaining nor exotic enough to be a center piece. Granted, I really thing 10k dollars is too high of a goal. I think this would realistically garner something more in the $600 - $800 dollar range and that's already lucky.
Sad truth

one would also think 50 grand for mashed potatos would be too high.. yet there they are lol..

also it all depends on the picture - this kickstarter is more for funding the technology - people love lit work - when I did my lightbox show in toronto I had people standing in front of them like slackjawed idiots for 5 minutes.. so clearly they resonate with people.

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 11:42 PM Reply

At 7/13/14 09:44 PM, Chronamut wrote: the video specifically:

You keep saying that you are pioneering this technology and that the funding will go to research into said technology in the video and I really cannot decipher what you are talking about when you say that.
There's nothing to pioneer. It's a light box with art instead of just the glass being there, my knowledge of electricianating is pretty rusty but as a semi competent technical dude I can say with a pretty good amount confidence that $10,000 is a ridiculous amount to ask for to back this project. Now if you need to buy all of the hardware necessary to custom make each box, like a table saw or an arc welder, soldering stuff(that one's cheap), a planer, saw blades etc. to cut the boxes to size and smooth them out as well as do the wiring yourself for the future it would make sense to ask for that amount (still very high actually). But I didn't get that from your videos so I don't know what your process is for making these, but since you've already made a couple I'm guessing you're not in need of all that wood/metalshop equipment.
So let me ask, how much does it cost you to make these (you say they're valued at $300)?
Also just a little thing that bothered me in your video, you say something like "imagine walking down the street and you see a building, and there is a huge solar powered illuminated image on the side" disregarding the solar powered part, they already have those, they're called signs, a lot billboards where I live are starting to do that too (they're becoming digital).

I hate to poke holes in this but the more I think about the less sense it makes. You're marketing this in a way that is just absurd. You're talking about them like these lightboxes are some crazy new innovation and they just aren't. Maybe in the exact context that you're making them it's a new thing but in relation to novelty light up signs (a lot of bars have these, not talking the neon ones either) neither the technology nor the concept is particularly new and when you talk about them like they are it's... jarring.
Just going to throw this out there, maybe shoot for a lower kickstarter goal, streamline your process, try florescent lights instead of LED's , yes they aren't as energy efficient and don't last nearly as long as LEDs but they're cheaper upfront (maybe if these take off the costs of getting LED's won't be an issue). Good Luck, man.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 13th, 2014 @ 11:55 PM Reply

At 7/13/14 11:42 PM, JackDCurleo wrote:
At 7/13/14 09:44 PM, Chronamut wrote: the video specifically:

You keep saying that you are pioneering this technology and that the funding will go to research into said technology in the video and I really cannot decipher what you are talking about when you say that.
There's nothing to pioneer. It's a light box with art instead of just the glass being there, my knowledge of electricianating is pretty rusty but as a semi competent technical dude I can say with a pretty good amount confidence that $10,000 is a ridiculous amount to ask for to back this project. Now if you need to buy all of the hardware necessary to custom make each box, like a table saw or an arc welder, soldering stuff(that one's cheap), a planer, saw blades etc. to cut the boxes to size and smooth them out as well as do the wiring yourself for the future it would make sense to ask for that amount (still very high actually). But I didn't get that from your videos so I don't know what your process is for making these, but since you've already made a couple I'm guessing you're not in need of all that wood/metalshop equipment.

I dunno about you but I don't think the average artist can afford a bigass sign.

I have to pay the person who I use to use his equipment, as well as buy and put together all the raw resources, so yes I have to pay for labour.

So let me ask, how much does it cost you to make these (you say they're valued at $300)?

sorry but as an artist I don't feel that you need to know that. Just know that people would most likely be able to bu them from me for 150 bucks.

Also just a little thing that bothered me in your video, you say something like "imagine walking down the street and you see a building, and there is a huge solar powered illuminated image on the side" disregarding the solar powered part, they already have those, they're called signs, a lot billboards where I live are starting to do that too (they're becoming digital).

"disregarding the solar powered part"? That is the entire point dude - the entire point is to make them cheap, with a persons art in them, entirely weatherproof, with lights that never need to be changed, that are completely self sustaining by being solar powered. To my knowledge nothing like that exists - at least not here.

I hate to poke holes in this but the more I think about the less sense it makes. You're marketing this in a way that is just absurd. You're talking about them like these lightboxes are some crazy new innovation and they just aren't. Maybe in the exact context that you're making them it's a new thing but in relation to novelty light up signs (a lot of bars have these, not talking the neon ones either) neither the technology nor the concept is particularly new and when you talk about them like they are it's... jarring.

Not really. In the exact context I am making them they ARE novel - because they will become entirely self-sufficient and can just be left alone to shine forever - day and night, and not take up electricity when the solar/battery powered concept is done. The power needed to power one of those things is not going to be cheap, and we will need to implement a bunch of functions - dimmers, motion sensing, timed on and off, and being able to have enough interact light inside to be powered enough to stay on all day. Most concepts are simple but they still need research and money to do.

Just going to throw this out there, maybe shoot for a lower kickstarter goal, streamline your process, try florescent lights instead of LED's , yes they aren't as energy efficient and don't last nearly as long as LEDs but they're cheaper upfront (maybe if these take off the costs of getting LED's won't be an issue). Good Luck, man.

we'd need to make the boxes deeper then - otherwise the flourescents would shot as big white lines behind it. Nope the LEDs work fine. Making them bigger though will cost a lot more LEDS which is part of where the price come in, as well as either custom making the boxes with custom sizes of wood, or having to outsource them to another company which can get very expensive.

kickstarter price can't be changed once it's started. We shall see how it does, that's all there is to it. I understand you think the amt is absurd, but you're not the one making them. They are also printed on a bigass printer with special lightbox paper, opaque on one slide, clear and shiny on the other.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 12:02 AM Reply

also one of my goals is to use photovoltaic paper, either as the lightbox paper the image is on, or to coat the actual lightbox.. this technology can power small electronic devices

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 7/13/14 11:55 PM, Chronamut wrote: I dunno about you but I don't think the average artist can afford a bigass sign.

I was more referring to the concept/ technology portion of the signs, not the costs to the artist although considering that do you think the average artist would be willing to drop $150 ($300) on these things? Most artists have quite a bit of ingenuity and (provided they have the means) can do their own lightbox thing if they really wanted to or more likely do something similar with their own unique spin on the concept. This project isn't (at least it shouldn't be) aimed at artists so much as the nonartists who would like to hang your art up.

I have to pay the person who I use to use his equipment, as well as buy and put together all the raw resources, so yes I have to pay for labour.

So are you going to buy your own equipment in the event you get the $10,000? Because if you weren't planning on it I would definitely advise it (space is an issue with that stuff though).

sorry but as an artist I don't feel that you need to know that. Just know that people would most likely be able to bu them from me for 150 bucks.

Of course I don't need to know it, I was just trying to get a feel for your process and expenses to see if I could help you to cut some of the costs.

"disregarding the solar powered part"? That is the entire point dude - the entire point is to make them cheap, with a persons art in them, entirely weatherproof, with lights that never need to be changed, that are completely self sustaining by being solar powered. To my knowledge nothing like that exists - at least not here.

Well in the video I remember you providing the alternative of having them plug into the wall as well, so the solar powered portion didn't seem like it was the entire point of them

Not really. In the exact context I am making them they ARE novel - because they will become entirely self-sufficient and can just be left alone to shine forever - day and night, and not take up electricity when the solar/battery powered concept is done. The power needed to power one of those things is not going to be cheap, and we will need to implement a bunch of functions - dimmers, motion sensing, timed on and off, and being able to have enough interact light inside to be powered enough to stay on all day. Most concepts are simple but they still need research and money to do.

I said they were novel in the exact context you are making them, but that falls apart when looked at in the context of other similar light up displays.
this portion kind of brought to light a couple new issues for me: in public outdoor places I don't know that it's necessary for them to be on during the day, and as for the issue of timed on and off: that is very easy, my snake's heat light is on a set timer so it's not an issue that needs much looking into to implement. Motion sensing doesn't really seem necessary for them unless you were to be making one that's sole purpose was to do unique or interesting things when people walked by since LED's take up very little power to run so having them turn off isn't really necessary unless you're really in a crunch. As for the dimmers I don't know how that would work or how you would want to implement that, but if you wanted it to have like a glowing effect where the LED's slowly kind of pulse with light I've definitely seen stuff like that done before so it's all for the most part charted territory. Google is free and could probably help you get that stuff up and running in the span of a day. Now I could be wrong and all of this could be really difficult to find out how to do, but I really doubt it is (I'm not going to bother looking it up because come on, why would I).

we'd need to make the boxes deeper then - otherwise the flourescents would shot as big white lines behind it. Nope the LEDs work fine. Making them bigger though will cost a lot more LEDS which is part of where the price come in, as well as either custom making the boxes with custom sizes of wood, or having to outsource them to another company which can get very expensive.

Yeah, the depth and lines are a definite issue, again more drawbacks to florescent lights, but again, up front costs which are definitely an issue when doing these things. But then I suppose they also present more issues in the vein of wiring space as well as weight because of the extra wood as well. It was a suggestion.

kickstarter price can't be changed once it's started. We shall see how it does, that's all there is to it. I understand you think the amt is absurd, but you're not the one making them. They are also printed on a bigass printer with special lightbox paper, opaque on one slide, clear and shiny on the other.

I'm aware kickstarter prices can't be changed I was referring to the next time you try crowd funding projects. I was't referring to your project as absurd I'm saying the way you are talking about it is absurd, also you could do with being more focused on who your audience is your current video goes from artists, to non artists to you (strangely enough) it's a weird thing to do. so yeah, hope that cleared some things up. Probably not.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 01:16 AM Reply

all valid points man - after all I am learning... and in reality it can be applied to all people - commercial, artists, me, etc. But I appreciate your input nonetheless :)

also one of my goals is to be able to put them out on balconies and patios, without them being plugged in. I would prefer to not have a plug at all but I am not sure how that will go. Might be better for additional powering is all. Also with the depth of the lightbox they can also be put on shelves and tables, or even daisychain wired together to have a whole wall of the images. Someone suggested that in pm a couple of days ago.. thought it was a cool solution to not being able to get a big one into a room..

solar power will most likely make them more expensive though.. and while artists CAN improvise,.. sometimes they just don't have the resources in place to do it - after all that is why most of us buy stuff - we COULD do it - we just choose not to.

and yes I will buy all that equipment if all goes well. I can't use my gallery owner's studio forever so I would most likely also need to get my own studio, as well as a place to paint them that is ventilated, as the studio currently i not properly ventilated for such things, making things like painting time consuming.

it's an exciting project for sure - and even if it fails utterly I will have learned some valuable things from it - as sometimes the best way to learn is to fuck up enough times that you no know more through reaction than you ever would through research :)

even this thread has taught me a lot -so thanks guys :)

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Kickstarter campaign to fund art Jul. 14th, 2014 @ 03:38 AM Reply

Jack more or less has covered pretty much anything there is to be skeptic about on this, and just looking around for parts of what I can only assume goes into one of these, 200 to 300 doesn't seem all that unreasonable if you're factoring in custom-making each one while also paying for the use of the tools; although 300 does seem a bit steep to me but it's your pricing and I don't know exact numbers.

Something super problematic jumps out at me with the pledge tiers though. You are weighing these tiers way down with loads of stuff people may not actually want. The first one to actually have a lightbox as part of the reward is a $500 pledge, a whopping 200 more than the asking price for one. I would really recommend an option in there for $300 that's just a lightbox, and or a cheaper option for a smaller one.

By all means, sell your art through this as well if you want, it's your kickstarter. But I think it'd really help if there was more focus on getting people the actual product you are trying to get funding for.