00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Potato Salad Kickstarter

1,040 Views | 15 Replies

Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-07 18:30:06

You may have read a news article in the past day or so about a guy who created a Kickstarter to help raise $10 to buy the ingredients to make a bowl of potato salad. The story made the local news because he raised a couple grand in two days, then it made its way to CNET and a few other big Internet news sources in the last 24 hours. The AV Club summed up my thoughts this afternoon with an article titled "Please don’t give this kid money for his potato salad Kickstarter".

Right now it's at $15,000 with 25 days to go. That's fifteen thousand American dollars for some punk making a dumb joke on the Internet. He's not making a movie, he's not writing a webcomic, he's not doing something for the world, he's just making a bowl of God damn potato salad, and people want to throw money at him because their lives are empty and it made them laugh for ten seconds.

Link if you want to donate:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

I actually wrote this when the Kickstarter read $45,000, but $30,000 of that turned out to be fraudulent. Still, 15 grand???

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-07 18:43:33

OK, it's official: I give up on humanity.

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-07 18:53:37

At 7/7/14 06:30 PM, RWT wrote: The AV Club summed up my thoughts this afternoon with an article titled "Please don’t give this kid money for his potato salad Kickstarter".

Link if you want to donate:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

"Wow donating to this thing is stupid, by the way if you want to donate to this thing just click here"

~squiggly~

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-07 18:57:40

Well, I know what I'm gonna do now when I'm broke&hungry.

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-07 20:58:57

Holy shit, thats hilarious!

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 00:12:38

The only potato salad worth giving a shit about.

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 00:30:20

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 00:40:30

At 7/7/14 08:32 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: This man is a genius.

I concur. This is as brilliant as selling Jesus toasts on eBay. Maybe more brilliant. You'd have to compare which got more money.

The best part is he's only taking money from voluntary idiots.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 02:06:44

I don't actually like potato salad

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 02:13:36

My god....

Potato Salad Kickstarter

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 07:35:34

At 7/8/14 02:13 AM, Entice wrote: You're seriously mad about this? People are voluntarily giving money to a random guy, who gives a fuck?

He gets thousands of dollars, the people doing it are apparently getting a kick out of it, so no one loses.

Everyone loses. The people who gave money traded actual legal tender for: a) the chance to attend a party with other fools in Ohio or b) some shitty perk swag with "Potato Salad Kickstarter" written on it. That's if Zack "Danger" Brown actually manages to fulfill all of the perks, which, considering he promised anyone who donated $3 and above a bite of the potato salad, seems highly unlikely, in which case he's going to run into real legal trouble. Furthermore, someone who calls themself Zack Danger Brown is being encouraged. The whole shebang is bad news for society and for anyone who could use tens of thousands of dollars to do something productive or at least more entertaining long-term.

And, I'm not actually mad. I also think it's hilarious, but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid and self-serving. I guarantee that the majority of those contributing now are just doing so because they saw it on their favorite Internet news hub, because they want to seem witty by adding to the joke, and because they feel far more comfortable being in a mob of 3,000 people than outside of one. I find all of that pretty funny, hence the link if you want to donate:

Click here to contribute

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 09:31:38

At 7/8/14 02:10 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I'm really tempted right now to make a Kickstarter with the title "I need some change".
Our goal is 50000 dollars.

The whole point is the goal was only $10.. he was never here setting for anything more. The extra is a bonus and he's putting in new stretch goals to spend the money on.

Tis a funny joke and people aren't exactly giving him much, it just really adds up because of how popular it is.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 11:13:00

Totally donating to this...

... not.

HA! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT FOR A PLOT TWIST?!
I'm sorry-- I haven't slept.
My sense of humor gets pretty fuckin' bad if I don't get sleep.

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-08 12:18:47

I think the worst thing about all of this is that now a lot of people will try to imitate this in an desperate attempt for money.

Radaketor is my gay lil' buddy.

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-09 01:13:53

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Potato Salad Kickstarter 2014-07-09 01:26:47

I thought it was awesome. I mean, if more people try to pull this off (which they will) then it will be irritating, but it was funny this time. A 15k bowl of potato salad!

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature