00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ErinJA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you hate platformers

2,470 Views | 24 Replies

Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 00:46:11

i've been hearing that a lot of people hate platformers and i've seen many people on newgrounds give good platformers bad reviews and low amount of stars just because there a platformer i'm like...WTF if you don't like them then don't play them

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 00:48:39

With 2D platformers, if you've played one you've played them all. At least 3D platformers require a modicum of change to the formula. But since NG doesn't support any competent 3D game making programs, we may never see one.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 02:49:45

They're okay but after awhile they seem really samey.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 02:51:54

At 7/7/14 12:48 AM, Chdonga wrote: With 2D platformers, if you've played one you've played them all. At least 3D platformers require a modicum of change to the formula. But since NG doesn't support any competent 3D game making programs, we may never see one.

That's not true at all. It sounds like something someone who never really played platformers would say.

Also, IMO, we need more platformers these days. Not less. We could do with fewer crap games and more good platformers, if anything.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 06:40:17

there's a lot that can be done with platformers given enough creativity- i mean look at edmund mcmillan's platformers for example- they all have some kind of original idea. a lot of the platformers on this website lack some creative spark- so while they're good technically, they just lack that specialness that i like in a great platformer

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 07:20:02

No, i don't hate platformers.
A good platformer will get good reviews from me, a bad or mediocre one will get negative reviews.
If those good platformers you're talking about have bad reviews it might be for having a high difficulty or being too short.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 07:41:13

At 7/7/14 07:20 AM, Radaketor wrote: If those good platformers you're talking about have bad reviews it might be for having a high difficulty

Which is BS really. People who suck at video games can't admit they suck so they'd rather downvote anything that's "ZOMG too hards duhurrhurr hurts muh wittle feewings". It's like how people expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter these days, including grades in school and even "winning" at games.

Everyone's all obsessed with being the best, but instead of actually improving themselves (you know, the only legitimate way to become better at something), they instead want to keep lowering the bar because how dare anyone suggest they might be less than awesome?

It's the same people who would cheat on a test in school instead of just, oh, learning the damn material.

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 08:56:35

At 7/7/14 12:48 AM, Chdonga wrote: With 2D platformers, if you've played one you've played them all.

I personally think the same way for every video game genre ever, but it really depends on each person's likes and dislikes.
One prefer a genre more than the other.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 08:57:08

At 7/7/14 02:51 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Also, IMO, we need more platformers these days. Not less. We could do with fewer crap games and more good platformers, if anything.

Indeed.
We need more of these platforming games.

Just needs a bit of creativity and the right cards.

Also fuck those guys who downvote because "it's too hard".
Fuck 'em with a 10-foot platform.
I don't know how that would work; but it ought to be done.

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 09:45:54

That depends. What defines a platformer for you?

WhAT WouLD A PlAtFORm GAme Be wITHouT plaTFoRMs??!

Do you hate platformers

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 13:05:00

I like them, but mostly 3D platformers or adventure games

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 17:58:50

Ever hear of the Video Games Forum?

Anyway...

I think platformers were great in the old days for movies and heroic novels. But ever since advent of 3D level design they have become somewhat obsolete.

Not to mention that it's hard turning most real-world settings into a multi-level obstacle course. (The level below is supposed to be a normal city park)

Do you hate platformers

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 19:37:01

At 7/7/14 09:47 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 7/7/14 12:48 AM, Chdonga wrote: With 2D platformers, if you've played one you've played them all
yeah who needs Time Fcuk when you've got Metal Slug

Who needs Metal Slug when you've got Thomas Was Alone

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 20:14:29

When I was a kid, I mostly played platformers, but to be honest, the last platforming game that I truly enjoyed was Super Mario 64, which was over 15 years ago. Honestly, platformers are largely a product of the NES/SNES era of games, and it's not hard to see that line of thinking. (Super Mario 64 one of the few exceptions)

Frankly, pure platforming games are outdated and are mostly enjoyed by indie and retro fanboys, and we really don't any more of them in this era, aside from the occasional compilation game. Places like Newgrounds on the other hand, are more suited for platforming games today.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 20:43:48

At 7/7/14 12:46 AM, zombievegeta wrote: i've been hearing that a lot of people hate platformers and i've seen many people on newgrounds give good platformers bad reviews and low amount of stars just because there a platformer i'm like...WTF if you don't like them then don't play them

Platformers are a love hate relationship.

If the game is coded well and the controls are responsive, then a platformer is my favorite type of game.

If the game is coded terribly, and the controls/physics are complete shit, then i will probably hate the game very much.

Examples of good platformers:

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 20:53:08

I dont hate them but most of them are very similar.

Steam username: Deutschgeck

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 21:07:09

At 7/7/14 06:07 PM, Crink wrote: i h8 3d platformers because they always have some bullshit collectables and the camera always sucks

As much as I love 3D platformers this never fails to annoy me. I can think of a decent amount of 3D platformers that aren't tedious collectathons but Crash and Pacman World are probably the only ones without a shit camera. But that's only because the camera is at a fixed angle the entire time.
Ratchet & Clank: Crack in Time is one of my favorite games on the PS3 but holy shit that camera is bad. I can deal with the camera constantly moving without my input but I cannot stand it when the camera gets stuck on another object. Why won't devs use a camera that can freely clip through objects in their 3D platformers?

And Lobodestroyo and Hat in Time are probably going to make the same mistake.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 22:12:17

I actually have a soft spot for platformers, ( because I grew up with them). It does suck that people are apparently giving games bad reviews because they're platformers.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 22:16:27

At 7/7/14 09:45 AM, Splats wrote: That depends. What defines a platformer for you?
WhAT WouLD A PlAtFORm GAme Be wITHouT plaTFoRMs??!

*shudders*

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 22:22:52

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 23:32:16

At 7/7/14 09:07 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 7/7/14 06:07 PM, Crink wrote: i h8 3d platformers because they always have some bullshit collectables and the camera always sucks
As much as I love 3D platformers this never fails to annoy me. I can think of a decent amount of 3D platformers that aren't tedious collectathons but Crash and Pacman World are probably the only ones without a shit camera. But that's only because the camera is at a fixed angle the entire time.
Ratchet & Clank: Crack in Time is one of my favorite games on the PS3 but holy shit that camera is bad. I can deal with the camera constantly moving without my input but I cannot stand it when the camera gets stuck on another object. Why won't devs use a camera that can freely clip through objects in their 3D platformers?

And Lobodestroyo and Hat in Time are probably going to make the same mistake.

I guess you've never played Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine, both of which are 3D platformers which actually have good cameras.

I'll agree that most 3D platformers have terrible cameras though. The 3D Gex games had some of the worst cameras imaginable.

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-07 23:58:56

At 7/7/14 11:32 PM, NeonSpider wrote: I guess you've never played Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine, both of which are 3D platformers which actually have good cameras.

I've actually never played SM64 on a Nintendo 64. I've only played it on emulators and the DS remake. But I like how in Sunshine, if an object was obstructing your view of Mario, you could see his silhouette behind the object. It's a neat feature that should be in more games.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-08 01:04:29

It's not impossible to innovate with the platform genre, but it's becoming harder. The most time/energy I ever spent on a platformer was PewDiePIe Adventures, which has been met with a lukewarm response. I made the level design as interesting as I possibly could, but not even I would consider it a great game. I think at this point you need a very heavy puzzle element in order to make something fresh in the genre.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-17 22:54:21

I hate platformers, they make my feet hurt!

Do you hate platformers

Response to Do you hate platformers 2014-07-17 22:58:30

A lot of FLASH platformers are the same and repetitive.
Other than that they're alright.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.