00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel

2,205 Views | 49 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey all. Just to let you all know before I begin, I am relatively new to programming, particularly when it comes to coding a game.

The game I am looking to code for the moment is a simple, MUD style text adventure game. I want to start by keeping it single player and add in the multiplayer aspect later. I have been going through a lot of tutorials for AS3 and even Javascript. As I understand it, Jave is close to AS3 in Syntax.

So, I started to code in my classes first as a starting point, I believe by doing them first I will avoid issues later and will have a better idea of what I have to do. However, I have come across an issue. The Auto Formater threw a hissy fit at me and told me there was an error "near line: }"

Would appreciate if it someone could have a look please?

Also, if there is any advice you can give me, that would be appreciated too.

package 
{

//defining the player class. This is the object defining the player.
	//Last Modification date: July 07, 2014
	public class Player
	{
		private var pName:String;
		private var pGender:String;
		private var pRace:String;
		private var pClass:String;
		private var pDescription:String;
		private var pStrength:int;
		private var pEndurance:int;
		private var pAgility:int;
		private var pIntelligence:int;
		private var pHitPoints:int;
		private var pSovPieces:int;
		private var pInventory:Array = new Array();
	}

//Defining the Location Class.
	//Last Modification: July 07, 2014
	public class Location
	{
		private const l_roomTitle:String;
		private const l_roomDescription:String;
		private const l_vecExits:Vector;
		private var l_roomInventory:Array = new Array;

//Return Location Title
		public function getTitle()
		{
			return l_roomTitle;
		}

//Assigns Location Title
		public function setTitle (roomTitle:String)
		{
			l_roomTitle = roomTitle;
		}
	}

//
//
// Exit - represents an exit to a location
// 
// Last modification date : July 07, 2014
//
	public class Exit 
	{
	// Numerical codes
	public const UNDEFINED:int = 0;
	public const NORTH:int = 1;
	public const SOUTH:int = 2;
	public const EAST:int = 3;
	public const WEST:int = 4;
	public const UP:int = 5;
	public const DOWN:int = 6;
	public const NORTHEAST:int = 7;
	public const NORTHWEST:int = 8;
	public const SOUTHEAST:int = 9;
	public const SOUTHWEST:int = 10;
	public const IN:int = 11;
	public const OUT:int = 12;

// String codes	
	const directionNames:Array = new Array(
		"UNDEFINED",
		"NORTH",
		"SOUTH",
		"EAST",
		"WEST",
		"UP",
		"DOWN",
		"NORTHEAST",
		"NORTHWEST",
		"SOUTHEAST",
		"SOUTHWEST",
		"IN",
		"OUT"
	);

const shortDirectionNames:Array = new Array( 
		"NULL",
		"N",
		"S",
		"E",
		"W",
		"U",
		"D",
		"NE",
		"NW",
		"SE",
		"SW",
		"I",
		"O"		
	);

}

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 21:03:41

At 7/6/14 08:47 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: Would appreciate if it someone could have a look please?

Seems like you never close the { under package.

You should usually only have one class defined per file.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 21:17:03

At 7/6/14 09:03 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/6/14 08:47 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: Would appreciate if it someone could have a look please?
Seems like you never close the { under package.
You should usually only have one class defined per file.

No, its closed, for some reason when I copy pasted, it cut off the final curly bracket. And while yes, it should be a single class per file, that would mean that in the end I am going to have hundreds of files...maybe more. I wanted to try and condense the more common classes into a single file.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 21:34:37

At 7/6/14 09:17 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: No, its closed, for some reason when I copy pasted, it cut off the final curly bracket. And while yes, it should be a single class per file, that would mean that in the end I am going to have hundreds of files...maybe more. I wanted to try and condense the more common classes into a single file.

Explain your thinking behind the "hundreds of files." Whatever your thinking is, large projects require a large number of files, and what you're doing there isn't even possible I don't think. You can have a public class and a private/internal/inner class, but that's not what you're doing here.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 21:47:46

At 7/6/14 09:34 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/6/14 09:17 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: No, its closed, for some reason when I copy pasted, it cut off the final curly bracket. And while yes, it should be a single class per file, that would mean that in the end I am going to have hundreds of files...maybe more. I wanted to try and condense the more common classes into a single file.
Explain your thinking behind the "hundreds of files." Whatever your thinking is, large projects require a large number of files, and what you're doing there isn't even possible I don't think. You can have a public class and a private/internal/inner class, but that's not what you're doing here.

Bare with me, remember I am fairly new to coding.

From what I have understood so far. If something is public, it is accessable to everything in the code, correct me if I am wrong. Private...means that its only accessable by the class and its constructors...is that correct?

Oh, and I took your advice and I have made 2 class files now. 1 for exits and 1 for the player class.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 21:54:24

At 7/6/14 09:34 PM, MSGhero wrote:

Oh, and here is the Exits_Class file that I have made, seems to have solved the autoformat problem:

package 
{
	//Member Variables
	//Last Modified July 07, 2014
	public class Location
	{
		private const L_roomTitle:String;
		private const L_roomDescription:String;
		private const L_vecExits:Vector;
		public var L_roomInventory:Array = new Array  ;
	}
	public function getTitle()
	{
		return L_roomTitle;
	}

public function setTitle(roomTitle:String):void
	{
		L_roomTitle = roomTitle;
	}

//Addd an exit to location
	public function addExit(Exit,exit):void
	{
		L_vecExits.addElement(exit);
	}

//Removes and Exit from this location
	public function removeExit(Exit,exit)
	{
		if (L_vecExits.contains(exit))
		{
			L_vecExits.removeElement(exit);
		}
	}
}

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 22:00:43

At 7/6/14 09:47 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: From what I have understood so far. If something is public, it is accessable to everything in the code, correct me if I am wrong. Private...means that its only accessable by the class and its constructors...is that correct?

Correct. I'm fairly sure that AS3 only allows you to have 1 public class per file, and then any number of private/inner classes. From what you said, the inner classes aren't visible to the rest of your code, but they are visible to that one public class that's contained in the same file. You pretty much don't have to worry about those for now.

If you plan on having a lot of classes with constants like that, you should get familiar with static keyword, the. Don't abuse it, though, not everything needs to be public or static.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 22:04:00

At 7/6/14 10:00 PM, MSGhero wrote: If you plan on having a lot of classes with constants like that, you should get familiar with static keyword, the. Don't abuse it, though, not everything needs to be public or static.:

Okay, so is static performing the same function as const? Or is there a difference between the functions of the two?

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 22:08:53

At 7/6/14 10:04 PM, SanguinemUK wrote:
At 7/6/14 10:00 PM, MSGhero wrote: If you plan on having a lot of classes with constants like that, you should get familiar with static keyword, the. Don't abuse it, though, not everything needs to be public or static.:
Okay, so is static performing the same function as const? Or is there a difference between the functions of the two?

Ooooohhhh...nevermind. I see. Static ensures that there will only ever be 1 of a given variable within a class.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 22:27:43

At 7/6/14 10:08 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: Ooooohhhh...nevermind. I see. Static ensures that there will only ever be 1 of a given variable within a class.

Event.ENTER_FRAME, MouseEvent.CLICK, and things like that are all static constants. You don't have to create a new event to get access to those properties.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 22:30:37

At 7/6/14 10:27 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/6/14 10:08 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: Ooooohhhh...nevermind. I see. Static ensures that there will only ever be 1 of a given variable within a class.
Event.ENTER_FRAME, MouseEvent.CLICK, and things like that are all static constants. You don't have to create a new event to get access to those properties.

I see. I havent gotten to events yet. Im trying to teach myself the structure of AS3 as well as the methods that it uses to store and manipulate data right now. I will be getting to them soon however. Im actually quite happy with how quickly I am picking this up seeing as how I have only been at it a couple of days.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 22:44:51

At 7/6/14 10:27 PM, MSGhero wrote:

I just found something that might interest you. You can have multiple public classes in a single package:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15388880/multiple-classes-in-actionscript-package

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-06 22:53:07

At 7/6/14 10:44 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: You can have multiple public classes in a single package

Nobody denied that.
The point is that you can only have one public class definition in one .as file.

Having several classes in one package is pretty much the point of a package.
It groups several classes.
For example, all display related classes (and interfaces) can be found in the display package:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/display/package-detail.html

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 01:57:53

So, I am trying to format some input and output boxes for the stage where the game will be played. However, I am having som issues. Here is the code I have in a AS3 file that outputs to the stage:

package
{
	import flash.display.Sprite;
	import flash.display.Stage;
	import flash.text.*;
	import flash.events.*;

public class CaptureUserInput extends Sprite
	{
		private var inputBox:TextField = new TextField();
		private var outputBox:TextField = new TextField();
		private var defaultText:String = "Type commands here...";

public function CaptureUserInput()
		{
			captureText();
		}

public function captureText():void
		{
			inputBox.type = TextFieldType.INPUT;
			inputBox.border = true;
			inputBox.borderColor = 0xffffff;
			inputBox.textColor = 0xffffff;
			inputBox.width = 1000;
			inputBox.height = 150;
			inputBox.x = 450;
			inputBox.y = 800;
			addChild(inputBox);
			inputBox.text = defaultText;
			inputBox.addEventListener(TextEvent.TEXT_INPUT, textInputCapture);
		}
	}
}

When I run the code, it runs fine, but, there is no input box and no default text displayed like there should be on the stage, not sure what I am missing here.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 03:06:07

At 7/7/14 01:57 AM, SanguinemUK wrote: When I run the code, it runs fine, but, there is no input box and no default text displayed like there should be on the stage, not sure what I am missing here.

If CaptureUserInput isn't your document class, you have to addChild it in order for any of its children (your input tf) to be put on the stage.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 03:11:31

At 7/7/14 03:06 AM, MSGhero wrote: If CaptureUserInput isn't your document class, you have to addChild it in order for any of its children (your input tf) to be put on the stage.

I have used addChild in this script. Its still not working.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 06:33:15

At 7/7/14 03:11 AM, SanguinemUK wrote: I have used addChild in this script. Its still not working.

Code that's not working is the reason you posted here.
It's the least useful information you can give us.

The code you posted doesn't even compile.
You provided no information whatsoever how it is used.
Debugging should not be such a guessing game.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 14:56:31

At 7/7/14 06:33 AM, milchreis wrote:
At 7/7/14 03:11 AM, SanguinemUK wrote: I have used addChild in this script. Its still not working.
Code that's not working is the reason you posted here.
It's the least useful information you can give us.

The code you posted doesn't even compile.
You provided no information whatsoever how it is used.
Debugging should not be such a guessing game.

If you cant compile that code, then there is something seriously wrong with your PC because that code compiles fine and with zero errors on my end. And if you cant guess or figure out what that piece of code is for...well, I'm new at this and even I can tell you what its supposed to do. I don't know what to say, with the code there, there is no need to tell you how its used. Its supposed to put a simple input box on the stage, thats it. How come you couldn't figure that out?

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:13:53

package 
{

import flash.display.Stage;
	import flash.events.EventDispatcher;
	import flash.text.*;
	import flash.events.*;

//Define the input field.
	public class playerInput extends EventDispatcher
	{
		private var _stage:Stage;

public function playerInput(stage:Stage)
		{
			var inputBox:TextField = new TextField();
			inputBox.type = "input";
			inputBox.background = false;
			inputBox.border = true;
			inputBox.borderColor = 0xFFFFFF;
			inputBox.textColor = 0xFFFFFF;
			inputBox.width = 1000;
			inputBox.height = 125;
			inputBox.x = 450;
			inputBox.y = 900;
			inputBox.multiline = true;
			inputBox.maxChars = 30;
			stage.addChild(inputBox);
		}
		//Register event listener
		inputBox.addEventListener(TextEvent.TEXT_INPUT, inputBox);
		{
			var nr:int = inputBox.text.length;
			if (nr<10)
			{
				inputBox.borderColor = 0x66CC33;
			}
			else if (nr<20)
			{
				inputBox.borderColor = 0xFFFF00;
			}
			else if (nr>30)
			{
				inputBox.borderColor = 0xCC3333;
			}
		}
	}
};

Ive tried several different ways to try and do it but, to no avail, it just wont put the box on the stage. I can get the stage to appear if I use actions for the frame to put it on, but it wont put the input box onto the stage from an AS3 file for some reason.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:17:58

At 7/7/14 02:56 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: How come you couldn't figure that out?

Asks the guy who cannot figure out why it isn't working.

We can make a lot of assumptions how this is supposed to work or what you could have possibly thought through - maybe.
This would be the guessing game I was talking about, which is something we want to avoid.

At 7/7/14 02:56 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: If you cant compile that code, then there is something seriously wrong with your PC because that code compiles fine and with zero errors on my end.

I didn't even try to compile it on my computer.
You are obviously missing a function definition.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:22:01

At 7/7/14 03:17 PM, milchreis wrote:
At 7/7/14 02:56 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: How come you couldn't figure that out?
Asks the guy who cannot figure out why it isn't working.

We can make a lot of assumptions how this is supposed to work or what you could have possibly thought through - maybe.
This would be the guessing game I was talking about, which is something we want to avoid.

At 7/7/14 02:56 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: If you cant compile that code, then there is something seriously wrong with your PC because that code compiles fine and with zero errors on my end.
I didn't even try to compile it on my computer.
You are obviously missing a function definition.

If you havent tried to compile the code, how come you said that the code doesnt even compile?

Anyway, I have no errors or warnings with the code, no clue as to what is wrong or where Im missing something. It usually tells me if there is a function missing or anything such as that, but Im not getting any clue as to what is wrong. And I have tried several ways to do the same thing and get the same result every time, so its not like Im not trying to figure out what is wrong. I am new at this but I think I have learned pretty fast. I only post here when there is something I cannot figure out...and that is what this situation is, I literally cannot spot where I have gone wrong. According to my eyes this code should work, there is nothing stopping it from working.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:22:15

At 7/7/14 03:13 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: Ive tried several different ways to try and do it but, to no avail, it just wont put the box on the stage. I can get the stage to appear if I use actions for the frame to put it on, but it wont put the input box onto the stage from an AS3 file for some reason.

You should not be adding things to stage.
Just add them to the document class the way you did it before.

Aside from that giving it a stage parameter is nonsense. Don't copy & paste "solutions" from the internet without trying to understand them.

Again, provide all information about how you actually use that class.
I this your document class?
Is it a class you assigned to a library symbol?

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:26:11

At 7/7/14 03:22 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: If you havent tried to compile the code, how come you said that the code doesnt even compile?

I didn't try it on my computer, but tried it nonetheless.
You accused my computer to be the reason for the failed compilation

According to my eyes this code should work, there is nothing stopping it from working.

Except the method that is missing, which you pass to addEventListener().

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:28:10

At 7/7/14 03:22 PM, milchreis wrote:
At 7/7/14 03:13 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: Ive tried several different ways to try and do it but, to no avail, it just wont put the box on the stage. I can get the stage to appear if I use actions for the frame to put it on, but it wont put the input box onto the stage from an AS3 file for some reason.

Aside from that giving it a stage parameter is nonsense. Don't copy & paste "solutions" from the internet without trying to understand them.

Well, I dont copy and paste. I try to type everything so that I can get a better understanding of what I am doing. Now, I have tried to make a box on the stage, turn it into a symbol, then use the AS3 script to turn the box I drew into a input field, but that didnt work either.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:34:21

At 7/7/14 03:28 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: Now, I have tried to make a box on the stage, turn it into a symbol, then use the AS3 script to turn the box I drew into a input field, but that didnt work either.

What do you mean by "use the script"?
Did you associate the library symbol with the class?

If you draw the box by hand, why do you want to add the text box with code?

Adobe Flash is not an ideal environment to learn As3 as you always have two workflows at the same time.
You can create content by hand and by code.
Mixing both can lead to problems or at least be very complicated.

If you want to learn the language, I recommend you go for pure As3.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:34:42

At 7/7/14 03:28 PM, SanguinemUK wrote:
At 7/7/14 03:22 PM, milchreis wrote:

Well, I dont copy and paste. I try to type everything so that I can get a better understanding of what I am doing. Now, I have tried to make a box on the stage, turn it into a symbol, then use the AS3 script to turn the box I drew into a input field, but that didnt work either.

Okay, got off on the wrong foot here. I will tell you what I need and what I am trying to do.

I need two boxes on the Stage, one that will accept input, commands, from the player and parse them so that the game can read the commands given to it and respond accordingly. At the moment, Im starting simple and want to be able to use commands to move the player around rooms/locations that I havent created yet.

The second box will be the output box where the location title and description will be printed along with the contents of said room and the exit vectors from each room.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 15:50:48

I see, you want to have some sort of console.
Here's one I did a while back:

package 
{
    import flash.text.TextField;
    import flash.text.TextFieldAutoSize;
    import flash.text.TextFieldType;

import flash.events.KeyboardEvent;

import flash.ui.Keyboard;

public class CommandLineInterface extends Sprite 
    {
        private var input:TextField;
        private var output:TextField;

public function CommandLineInterface() 
        {
            buildInterface();

input.addEventListener(KeyboardEvent.KEY_DOWN, onKeyDown);
        }

private function parse (text:String):void
        {
            //do stuff with input here
            output.appendText("> " + text + "\n");
        }

private function onKeyDown(e:KeyboardEvent):void
        {
            if (e.keyCode != Keyboard.ENTER) return;

parse(input.text);

output.scrollV = output.maxScrollV;
            input.text = "";
        }

private function buildInterface():void
        {
            input= new TextField();
            input.border = true;
            input.multiline = false;
            input.type = TextFieldType.INPUT;
            input.height = input.textHeight;
            input.width = stage.stageWidth - 20;
            input.x = 10;
            input.y = stage.stageHeight - input.height - 20;
            addChild(input);

output = new TextField();
            output.border = true;
            output.height = input.y - 20;
            output.width = input.width;
            output. x = output.y = 10;

addChild(output);

}

}
}

That could be a starting point for a class or an inspiration.

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 16:34:39

package 
{
	import flash.text.TextField;
	import flash.text.TextFieldType;

import flash.events.KeyboardEvent;
	import flash.ui.Keyboard;

public class CommandLineInterface extends Sprite
	{
		//set up the variables that will contain the data for the input and out put boxes.
		private var input:TextField;
		private var output:TextField;

public function CommandLineInterface()
		{
			//Adds the listener event to the input box so that it can take input.
			buildInterface();

input.addEventListener(KeyboardEvent.KEY_DOWN, onKeyDown);
		}

private function parse (text:String):void
		{
			//This function is used to take the text, search for commands and then used to execute the commands by calling on the functions in a class.
			output.appendText("> " + text + "\n"); //Takes the input and prints it after a '>' sign, then carriage returns to a new line.
		}

private function onKeyDown(e:KeyboardEvent):void //Checks to see when 'enter' is pressed, then passes any data in input to the parse function to be printed as output.
		{
			if (e.keyCode != Keyboard.ENTER) return; //This line tells the code not to pass the info to the Parse function unless ENTER is pressed.

parse(input.text); //On ENTER, sends text in the input box to the parse function.

output.scrollV = output.maxScrollV; //tells the console that the maximum scroll of the output window is equal to the data in it.
			input.text = ""; //Sets the text in the input box to nothing, ready for new input.
		}

private function buildInterface():void //This function formats the input and output boxes and adds them to the interface.
		{
			input = new TextField(); //Creates the input box.
			input.border = true;
			input.multiline = true;
			input.type = TextFieldType.INPUT; //Sets the input box to be an input type.
			input.height = input.textHeight;
			input.width = stage.stageWidth - 20;
			input.x = 10;
			input.y = stage.stageHeight - input.height - 20;
			addChild(input); //Adds input box to the console.

output = new TextField();
			output.border = true;
			output.height = input.y - 20;
			output.width = input.width;
			output.x = output.y = 10;
			addChild(output);
		}
	}
}

Okay, so I have put some comments in to try and describe what I think that each portion of the program is trying to do. I made some minor alterations. However, when hitting Ctrl-Enter to run it, nothing happens. No console or anything.

BBS Signature

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 16:44:59

At 7/7/14 04:34 PM, SanguinemUK wrote: Okay, so I have put some comments in to try and describe what I think that each portion of the program is trying to do. I made some minor alterations. However, when hitting Ctrl-Enter to run it, nothing happens. No console or anything.

What is your document class, and do you addChild this class into it?

Response to New Programmer, Looking For As3 Hel 2014-07-07 16:45:52

Make sure it's the document class.