00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Good cinematic string Vst?

9,076 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-06 17:04:59

I've been listening to the Attack on Titan soundtrack for a couple days now, and I've decided to swap genres for a bit and try composing orchestral/cinematic music, but I can't find any decent vsts for strings that aren't a gazillion dollars or don't have huge file sizes (20+ gb). I've been using DSK overture and edirol orchestral for a while, but they don't offer the dynamic feel that cinematic songs need. They have nice ensembles that work well in the background of a song, but as a primary instrument, they falter.

tl;dr: im poor and i want to be bosa please help

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-06 17:15:47

Miroslav Philharmonik is pretty decent for the price. I use that for a lot of my songs, and still do to an extent.

I'd also recommend Nexus2 with the Hollywood expansions... but that isn't exactly cheap... in fact, it's quite expensive.
Although I suppose if you're just after strings, you could just buy the string portions of the packs, which would cut the price down considerably.

Also, this can't be a thread about cinematic strings without mentioning Cinematic Strings.
This one I haven't used myself, but I see it recommended quite often. Although it is a bit on the more expensive side.

In reality, most orchestral VSTs can be quite expensive if you want quality... so it's a little difficult to suggest affordable ones... because affordable for orchestral strings is like... $200+ most of the time.

I'm sure there are some cheap or even free gems out there, but I'll leave that to others to share, because I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-06 17:53:26

At 7/6/14 05:04 PM, larrynachos wrote: I've been listening to the Attack on Titan soundtrack for a couple days now, and I've decided to swap genres for a bit and try composing orchestral/cinematic music, but I can't find any decent vsts for strings that aren't a gazillion dollars or don't have huge file sizes (20+ gb). I've been using DSK overture and edirol orchestral for a while, but they don't offer the dynamic feel that cinematic songs need. They have nice ensembles that work well in the background of a song, but as a primary instrument, they falter.

tl;dr: im poor and i want to be bosa please help

Well, as Purgy said string vst's cost loads. you won't really find any incredibly good cheap ones. The best you can get for free though, must be squidfont orchestral. It's a pack of royalty free soundfonts that you can get for free. When mixed properly, the strings dosen't sound to bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofqoFwrVkRc

I do recommend that you ask an audio mod if it breaks the portal rules or not. I don't think they do, as they are royalty free, but you should probably ask just to be sure.
You can download it from here btw:
http://soundfonts.darkesword.com/
Just read what's written there.

Well that's the best free one I know about. I rreally recommend to buy the Hollywood 2 expansion for nexus 2 if you have nexus 2. It sounds amazing O_O.

Just a random idiot

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-06 18:28:38

East west orchestra is very good if you got some dough

If you poor then you can try DSK Overtune

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-06 18:50:44

Most orchestral composers on here use kontakt, and load libraries that way. Standalone, there is also gpo. Garritan personal orchestra. Its okay, though nothing compared to kontakt libraries.

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-06 19:00:19

Hollywood Strings by EWQL. But only if you have got a very powerful system, much ram and SSD. Otherwise - forget it :D

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-06 21:23:06

I'd say the best deal for an orchestral VST that'll give you EVERY sound you need for an entire song is EWQL SO Gold. It's on sale for $250 right now, and it contains beautiful strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion... and even stuff you wouldn't assume (harp/harpsichord/grand piano).

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 02:26:44

At 7/6/14 06:50 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Most orchestral composers on here use kontakt, and load libraries that way. Standalone, there is also gpo. Garritan personal orchestra. Its okay, though nothing compared to kontakt libraries.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was also asking. Know any good libraries?

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 02:29:02

At 7/6/14 05:15 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I'd also recommend Nexus2 with the Hollywood expansions... but that isn't exactly cheap... in fact, it's quite expensive.
Although I suppose if you're just after strings, you could just buy the string portions of the packs, which would cut the price down considerably.

Alright, I'll look into these. Thanks a lot!

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 02:30:30

At 7/6/14 06:28 PM, DjGubkafish wrote: East west orchestra is very good if you got some dough

If you poor then you can try DSK Overtune

Like I said in my OP, I've been using DKS overture. It's pretty great, but not what I'm looking for. Thanks anyways!

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 02:31:39

At 7/6/14 09:23 PM, Flodwrana wrote: I'd say the best deal for an orchestral VST that'll give you EVERY sound you need for an entire song is EWQL SO Gold. It's on sale for $250 right now, and it contains beautiful strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion... and even stuff you wouldn't assume (harp/harpsichord/grand piano).

Brah, I haven't got a penny on me. $250? I'd have to get a JOB or something o.o

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 03:34:35

What's your budget?

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 10:26:02

At 7/7/14 02:26 AM, larrynachos wrote:
At 7/6/14 06:50 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Most orchestral composers on here use kontakt, and load libraries that way. Standalone, there is also gpo. Garritan personal orchestra. Its okay, though nothing compared to kontakt libraries.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was also asking. Know any good libraries?

Heck yeah. Kontakt is really the go to VST which allows massive sample libraries. I could list the many libraries. But if you are coming away from Edirol, i think Eastwest orchestra is a good step up for it's price range. Anything else is really pricey for a muck around. I know your topic says strings, but are you looking just for strings? or say the whole orchestra. The chances are once you get a great string sound, the rest in edirol will sound bad to you. So you means well go for something which is like a full orchestra, which is why I suggest EW Orchestra.

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 10:28:18

At 7/7/14 02:31 AM, larrynachos wrote:
At 7/6/14 09:23 PM, Flodwrana wrote: I'd say the best deal for an orchestral VST that'll give you EVERY sound you need for an entire song is EWQL SO Gold. It's on sale for $250 right now, and it contains beautiful strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion... and even stuff you wouldn't assume (harp/harpsichord/grand piano).

If you have Kontakt you can get.

Embertone Intimate Strings Lite (Free)
and
Monster Staccatos (free).
Both are great for free! I still use the monster Staccatos as they have a lot of punch. The Strings lite can be blended with your edirol for some nice sound.

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 11:25:45

At 7/7/14 03:34 AM, EagleGuard wrote: What's your budget?

I found a couple of quarters under my recliner.

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 11:37:11

To create a string library you have to record the instruments playing the notes individually and then script it all and then create an engine to play them (or license one such as Kontakt). Please don't expect to get a great sound without an investment, you'll be disappointed.
When I couldn't afford good sounds I just got by with the free ones and spent my time instead learning how to mix.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 16:07:25

At 7/7/14 03:43 PM, KatMaestro wrote: 8Dio Adagietto, powerful ensembles.

That's a great library! I'm now looking into the full Adagio bundle. Apparently they function very differently from Adagietto. I'll report back when I find out.

Back on topic: has anyone mentioned Sonatina yet? I'm pretty sure that it's totally free.

http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 20:21:03

A good sound can only be achieved with good samples. Save some pocket money and meanwhile look into the libraries mentioned by others. If you cannot wait and still want to buy then Miroslav Philharmonik Classik Edition is the cheapest option afaik which is 59 euros. There was a thread something like 3.5 gb of free soundfonts. You can download these and choose what suits you best. Also check VSCO and see if you like it. If you can make your own soundfonts then look into Philharmonia Orchestra samples.

For relatively high end stuff, someone mentioned Embertone Intimate Strings. Recommended but you need Kontakt! The University of Iowa Musical Instrument Samples also got some good stuff. Check Jasper Blunk brass. Again you need Kontakt. Blakus cello is already mentioned. Hope that helped.

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 21:30:51

At 7/7/14 09:03 PM, KatMaestro wrote: Adagio is solo string and some ensemble with a lot of articulations. Adagietto is ensemble only with little articulation. Basically it's a good-to-go string library instead of having a lot of options, unlike other string libraries. Here is a review for Adagietto.

Well I know that much. I'm talking in terms of functionality. Adagietto legatos have that LASS concept of flexibility, whereas I hear that Adagio has one type of legato per patch. Maybe not as flexible (which isn't a problem for me), but from the videos it looks like they have considerably less memory footprints, which I'm stoked about.

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-07 21:45:59

At 7/7/14 09:37 PM, KatMaestro wrote: It's true that Adagietto less memory footprint than Adagio. LASS takes the least resources. Transitions between notes when playing the legato and tremolo in Adagietto aren't really smooth. You have to layer the notes and tweak the dynamic around a bit to perfectly line them up.

Other than that, I have no complain about this library.

Oh wait, no I was saying that ADAGIO has smaller memory footprints... or at least they potentially do. I'm really not a fan of Adagietto legatos at all. The transitions are too slow (even with the "speed" knob cranked all the way), they're very resource-heavy, and quite frankly, I don't use portamento slurs that often. And LASS is just a nightmare when trying to control dynamics. I think Spitfire Mural has the right idea on how basic legatos should be done.

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-08 14:42:24

Fruity Soundfont Player costs $35 and comes with a pretty cool preset "String Ensemble" that I've used before. You can also use it to get all sorts of free samples like these. Although I'd be careful if you're using a PC because you can get viruses really easily by downloading tons of samples. ;)

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-08 15:31:23

At 7/8/14 03:08 PM, KatMaestro wrote:
There are free SF player. FL SF player is very limited. Getting a SF player for $35 is insane.

GAH! Then why did I do it?! XD Please excuse my inexperience...haha.

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-11 08:25:04

I'm partial to edirol orchestral. I ended up getting it while i was looking for a good flute and harp for some fantasy music, but as it turns out I've also come to appreciate the timpani, the strings and the rest of the woodwinds and brass except for the trumpet. Since it is a bit of an older program it has pretty much no impact on my cpu or ram usage in fl studio.

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-11 12:02:29

At 7/11/14 09:49 AM, KatMaestro wrote:
Edirol Orchestra isn't just bad, it's terrible. Instruments sound very similar to free synth that mimic orchestra. There is no instrument ranges. I would suggest Miroslav Philharmonik over Edirol.

It's brass is pretty nice. I used it in my newest song, and I think it sounds fine.

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-11 12:06:23

At 7/11/14 12:02 PM, larrynachos wrote:
At 7/11/14 09:49 AM, KatMaestro wrote:
Edirol Orchestra isn't just bad, it's terrible. Instruments sound very similar to free synth that mimic orchestra. There is no instrument ranges. I would suggest Miroslav Philharmonik over Edirol.
It's brass is pretty nice. I used it in my newest song, and I think it sounds fine.

Newest song being my SECOND newest song, as it turns out. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/581347

BBS Signature

Response to Good cinematic string Vst? 2014-07-11 15:18:53

At 7/11/14 09:49 AM, KatMaestro wrote: Edirol Orchestra isn't just bad, it's terrible. Instruments sound very similar to free synth that mimic orchestra. There is no instrument ranges. I would suggest Miroslav Philharmonik over Edirol.

I see. I didn't know that it was that awful. Looks like I could learn a lot here. I guess I'll take a look at Miroslav then. Thanks for the information.