00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BUNKUMBITCH just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why did Sega Dreamcast fail?

565 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Why did Sega Dreamcast fail? 2014-07-04 14:29:48

It had a ridiculous library of great games, yet some how failed. Was it due to Piracy killing off the system, or no dvd support for the Dreamcast? What killed off one of the greatest Consoles ever created? Well, killed off as in the sense that only independent game developers are the only ones that work on this console still. If you look at in that sense Dreamcast is still alive, but from the perspective of Sega making anything off the console now a days it's a dead console in that sense.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Why did Sega Dreamcast fail? 2014-07-04 14:37:29

At 7/4/14 02:29 PM, TheKlown wrote: It had a ridiculous library of great games, yet some how failed. Was it due to Piracy killing off the system, or no dvd support for the Dreamcast? What killed off one of the greatest Consoles ever created? Well, killed off as in the sense that only independent game developers are the only ones that work on this console still. If you look at in that sense Dreamcast is still alive, but from the perspective of Sega making anything off the console now a days it's a dead console in that sense.

It was a shame as I had fun games, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Fur Fighters, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Toy Commander and House of the Dead 2, there was also others I wanted like Jet Set Radio, the system had a lot of great games and it was a shame it was short lived. But good memories and luckily most of the games got later releases as director cuts on other consoles.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Why did Sega Dreamcast fail? 2014-07-04 14:49:38

At 7/4/14 02:37 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
It was a shame as I had fun games, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Fur Fighters, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Toy Commander and House of the Dead 2, there was also others I wanted like Jet Set Radio, the system had a lot of great games and it was a shame it was short lived. But good memories and luckily most of the games got later releases as director cuts on other consoles.

Those other consoles can never have the same feel as a Dreamcast does, especially with the awesome VMU that the Dreamcast had.

Response to Why did Sega Dreamcast fail? 2014-07-04 15:14:19

PS2 had a part in that, no?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Why did Sega Dreamcast fail? 2014-07-04 15:32:56

At 7/4/14 02:49 PM, TheKlown wrote:
At 7/4/14 02:37 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
Those other consoles can never have the same feel as a Dreamcast does, especially with the awesome VMU that the Dreamcast had.

I loved the VMU but I could never understand how to use it on its own, but I loved the stuff it showed when you had it in the controller. One thing the controller did REALLY badly though was only having 1 analog stick, for RPGs that is fine and most games it is absolutely fine, but trying to play FPS games on it like Fur Fighters meant you needed to either use the Y and A buttons for moving forward and backwards or for aiming, using the controller for the other. That is the same problem the N64 has too but in a far more comfortable way to hold and use the Dreamcast controller.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Why did Sega Dreamcast fail? 2014-07-04 15:50:26

Anyone know which rumble pack was the best for the Dreamcast? I own two of the Dreamcast versions of the rumble pack. I tried googling to find out but never found out the answer to my question. I've heard some 3rd parties had too much vibration and I also heard some 3rd parties would mess up games and not let you save for some odd reason.

Response to Why did Sega Dreamcast fail? 2014-07-04 16:57:43

it was a mix of lack of dvd support and the fact that sega hadn't made a good business decision at that point since 1991- people didn't trust them anymore.