TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:03:41 Reply

I have now played all 134 entries in the Construct 2030 Jam and am working with some judges to narrow down the top 9 as well as the 15 runner-ups.

It's been interesting because HTML5 games tend to score a lot lower than Flash games, often because of issues with older / different browsers. Everything has been working for me in Chrome, except for one game that doesn't load at all but I think that one is just broken. I've been trying to cycle games through the front page to help give them more time with a broader audience. Stardust Overdrive and Scrap are examples of games that were far down on the list, but found themselves in the top 10 after some time on the front page. The audience voting doesn't determine the final rank, but it does help guide judging, which is why it's crazy when I keep finding great games far down the list.

One thing I really want to emphasize is that I've seen a lot of really promising devs who are getting really low scores. I hope you don't get discouraged and do keep making games!

It's really exciting to be able to put a game in fullscreen mode and play with my Xbox controller. There are lots of rough edges still but I know I'm looking at the future of web gaming. I intend to announce the winners this week!

Next Friday (July 11) is NG Game Jam 10. I'll be announcing a theme at 5pm EST. You can respond to that thread with suggestions for a theme. It would be great to see games representing all available tools; Construct, Stencyl, Flash, Unity, HaxeFlixel, HaxePunk, whatever!

Would you guys be interested in a Jam (at a later date) where it's actually a VS battle between all the different game dev tools and web platforms? Basically your game better be good because you're representing your tools. I've always thought that would be fun to see, so let me know if you would join up on something like that. We could even have broad categories like Flash, HTML5 and Unity, but then sub-categories for the tools and frameworks within those platforms.

Starting tomorrow it's monthly voting time, be sure to check your account page to see if you're on the panel to decide the Best of June!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:07:22 Reply

A platform versus theme? That could be potentially very interesting, seeing who can push the boundaries most.

Oooh, completely forgot about monthly voting. That's normally something I realise I have to do a week or so into the month, but it's inexcusable because it's my first time since last year having a game in it.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:08:40 Reply

At 6/30/14 06:07 PM, VoidForce wrote: A platform versus theme? That could be potentially very interesting, seeing who can push the boundaries most.

Oooh, completely forgot about monthly voting. That's normally something I realise I have to do a week or so into the month, but it's inexcusable because it's my first time since last year having a game in it.

Really we COULD make this something that comes out of Power of Four... But I feel like giving people the option of smaller teams would probably encourage more participation.

BBS Signature
LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:08:56 Reply

I still can't comprehend your dedication when it comes to judging all these games!
It's interesting how so many games that have potential can be far down on the list. Same thing happened to Spiderling from the Stencyl Jam for example, and that turned out to be a great game o.O

Good luck all! :)

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:11:25 Reply

At 6/30/14 06:08 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: I still can't comprehend your dedication when it comes to judging all these games!
It's interesting how so many games that have potential can be far down on the list. Same thing happened to Spiderling from the Stencyl Jam for example, and that turned out to be a great game o.O

Yeah, Spiderling was waaaay down the list, when I see that I'm like, "Am -I- crazy or is the voting just totally unreliable nowadays?"

BBS Signature
LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:12:00 Reply

Oh, and that VS idea is great! Unfortunately, I won't have time to join as I'm being drafted in a week -_-
And I lolled at the "Lost Farts 2" XD

Bcadren
Bcadren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:23:42 Reply

A -bad- game by a big name like Barte Bonte, LongAnimals, Nerdook, BlueBaby etc. can get a lot more plays and higher ratings than a great game by a no-name; just because of publicity and that the people that play games because they are 'under judgment' don't really line up with people that enjoy the genre, etc.

Also yea, Unity and HTML5 games get lower ratings than Flash games early (in the under judgment period); because there are people that vote to blam if the game won't load for them. EVEN if the reason is; the game uses the Unity plug-in and they don't have it. It's...barbaric.

bdog705
bdog705
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:30:48 Reply

i was working with others for a game for construct2 but our main programmer had some problems and we couldn't get the game done it time, we will still post the game eventually but im hoping there will be other game events like this one in the future ^_^

its 'rare' to meet brony who likes Rarity

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:33:44 Reply

At 6/30/14 06:08 PM, TomFulp wrote: Really we COULD make this something that comes out of Power of Four... But I feel like giving people the option of smaller teams would probably encourage more participation.

I would say so. I think that so many people have already gotten ideas for Power of Four, it may not be as boundary pushing as the Game Jam with a yet-to-be-announced theme. I won't be participating in this myself, I will in Po4, but I really look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

Igmon
Igmon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 18:50:30 Reply

Only if they have a mascot!

Construct 2030 Jam Update

Tyler
Tyler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 20:13:09 Reply

At 6/30/14 06:07 PM, VoidForce wrote: A platform versus theme? That could be potentially very interesting, seeing who can push the boundaries most.

I love this idea

Bcadren
Bcadren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 20:17:21 Reply

At 6/30/14 06:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: Would you guys be interested in a Jam where it's actually a VS battle between all the different game dev tools and web platforms? Basically your game better be good because you're representing your tools. I've always thought that would be fun to see, so let me know if you would join up on something like that. We could even have broad categories like Flash, HTML5 and Unity, but then sub-categories for the tools and frameworks within those platforms.

[b]TOM![/b] How long is the jam supposed to be? 2 days? the Week going into Robot Day release? What?

[b]Everyone else![/b] There aren't many real Unity3D games here and the true 3D workload is...honestly higher than any 2D game; so we might have a disadvantage there...BUT we have the ability to make true 3D games instead of being limited to 2 dimensions to help us.

And...I might have some ideas to make the workload smaller depending on the people we get. I will fly the flag on Unity3D into battle against the throned king of Flash. We will make a kind of game that flash could never manage; an FPS or 3D platformer. Who is with me?!?

[Message me if you interested in representing Unity3D in the Jam.]

I'm going to try to make uGrounds better in the days up to it and release it to all that want to represent the Unity; be it Unity3D or Unity2D!

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-06-30 22:54:04 Reply

134 games? Wow talk about busy

I have a penis

BBS Signature
MrRandomist
MrRandomist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 01:52:35 Reply

At 6/30/14 06:03 PM, TomFulp wrote:
This Friday is NG Game Jam 10. I'll be announcing a theme at 5pm.
At 6/26/14 11:24 AM, TomFulp wrote:
We are hosting NG Game Jam 10 on Friday, July 11th!

Which one is correct Tom? Is it the 4th of July or the 11th?

DIWAKAR
DIWAKAR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 02:27:07 Reply

I think The topic should be BAD HABITS or BAD MANNERS

Being a game maker is My ambition And 'tis the starting !!!!!!
Games|Animation|Music|Art

BBS Signature
Wolod
Wolod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 03:17:37 Reply

I like the platform VS idea. I'd like to represent Construct :)

LauriAJ
LauriAJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 05:05:35 Reply

How about a 3d platformer theme?

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 05:36:15 Reply

"I have now played all 134 entries"

That right there, man. I love this place.

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 05:51:13 Reply

At 7/1/14 05:05 AM, LauriAJ wrote: How about a 3d platformer theme?

If I had the means of making one I'd be all over that.

LauriAJ
LauriAJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 05:53:35 Reply

At 7/1/14 05:51 AM, VoidForce wrote:
At 7/1/14 05:05 AM, LauriAJ wrote: How about a 3d platformer theme?
If I had the means of making one I'd be all over that.

Indeed. I have a 3d platformer idea in mind made in the style of Super Mario 3D World, minus the lives and timer of course. I would be really happy to play a game like that from my browser.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 06:01:17 Reply

At 6/30/14 06:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: I have now played all 134 entries in the Construct 2030 Jam

Man, that's a lot of good, bad and ugly.

It's been interesting because HTML5 games tend to score a lot lower than Flash games, often because of issues with older/different browsers.

Flash is still a legacy haven for older computers, which don't have multi-cores or lots of memory to spare. On slower systems, the audio cuts out (mostly out, not in); devs should definitely put in sound controls/mute button.

One thing I really want to emphasize is that I've seen a lot of really promising devs who are getting really low scores. I hope you don't get discouraged and do keep making games!

Someone recently told me that her phone would constantly kick off Newgrounds, but no others, think it was an Android...

Starting tomorrow it's monthly voting time, be sure to check your account page to see if you're on the panel to decide the Best of June!

I saw the first part of that(!) animation, passed it, then moved on, sanity intact... until you reposted it |: Oh well, it was a happy ending with a cherry on top, I shouldn't complain...

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 06:36:02 Reply

At 7/1/14 01:52 AM, MrRandomist wrote: Which one is correct Tom? Is it the 4th of July or the 11th?

Whoops my brain is in the future again. I updated the post to reflect the correct Friday, July 11th!

BBS Signature
Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 06:49:12 Reply

Is there a collection on Newgrounds that features controller-enabled games? If not, I could always just use Xpadder. I never tried playing browser games with a controller before, but it sounds like it could be great fun!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 10:09:58 Reply

At 7/1/14 06:49 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Is there a collection on Newgrounds that features controller-enabled games? If not, I could always just use Xpadder. I never tried playing browser games with a controller before, but it sounds like it could be great fun!

That's a damn good point, we should add controller support as a checkbox item alongside where we have touch pad support. We still need to generate actual listings for these games.

BBS Signature
Listen2Reason
Listen2Reason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Programmer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 17:24:53 Reply

At 6/30/14 06:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: Would you guys be interested in a Jam (at a later date) where it's actually a VS battle between all the different game dev tools and web platforms? Basically your game better be good because you're representing your tools.

Not to be a downer, but this sounds like a terrible idea. It would just cause infighting among people who work in different ways. You'd get the lowest-scoring one and everyone would say "Oh, that one is awful" and everyone would stop using it, except it might be the best one for some particular person who will now never bother to try it. Not only that, a lot of us can't use any tools at all. I just use basic Flash, I can't be bothered with any of the licenses for Stencyl or FlashPunk or whatever, so basically there'd be no way for me to participate.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 17:37:57 Reply

At 7/1/14 05:24 PM, Listen2Reason wrote: Not to be a downer, but this sounds like a terrible idea. It would just cause infighting among people who work in different ways. You'd get the lowest-scoring one and everyone would say "Oh, that one is awful" and everyone would stop using it, except it might be the best one for some particular person who will now never bother to try it. Not only that, a lot of us can't use any tools at all. I just use basic Flash, I can't be bothered with any of the licenses for Stencyl or FlashPunk or whatever, so basically there'd be no way for me to participate.

Definitely some valid points, because different tools have different strengths for different people. Hell I've tried other tools but I still prefer making games in AS2 and the Flash IDE... So maybe the whole idea is just sorta creating conflict where there doesn't need to be conflict.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 17:39:27 Reply

At 7/1/14 05:24 PM, Listen2Reason wrote: Not to be a downer, but this sounds like a terrible idea. It would just cause infighting among people who work in different ways.

I was thinking this too. A 3d game made with unity will automatically either lose (blams for unity plugin) or look better than most 2d games. Maybe a normal jam but encourage people to try one of those frameworks, though you kinda already do that.

Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-01 19:11:58 Reply

At 7/1/14 05:39 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/1/14 05:24 PM, Listen2Reason wrote: Not to be a downer, but this sounds like a terrible idea. It would just cause infighting among people who work in different ways.
I was thinking this too. A 3d game made with unity will automatically either lose (blams for unity plugin) or look better than most 2d games. Maybe a normal jam but encourage people to try one of those frameworks, though you kinda already do that.

Not like I was planning to partake in this or anything, but it's still a shame to hear you guys be so negative about the whole thing. Having a Demoscene-esque thing going on seemed pretty cool in my opinion.

efinefrock
efinefrock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Reader
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-02 00:50:07 Reply

I think this could be a good idea with the right people I suppose. Though I have yet to find a good unity game that plays good and feels good. I donno I think it would be cool to be proven wrong on this one.

HenerzH
HenerzH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 2030 Jam Update 2014-07-02 10:59:17 Reply

Really appreciate the time and effort you put into this!
I also appreciate the encouragement of low score not necessarily meaning bad game ideas.
I look forward to, and am afraid to see the results.
I am also looking forward to the new theme being announced next Friday!

At 6/30/14 06:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: I have now played all 134 entries in the Construct 2030 Jam and am working with some judges to narrow down the top 9 as well as the 15 runner-ups.