00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff

21,861 Views | 103 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-23 21:37:12

Is the Portal turning 15? God, I feel old. I remember finding out about Newgrounds while Mortal Kombat and Mario parodies were just starting up. Came across it through VGDC (headed by the late Randy Solem). Nowadays, I check in regularly for the Audio and Art Portals, and to see what sort of crazy games people can come up with.

They proved that if you quit smoking it will prolong your life. What they haven't proved is if a prolonged life is a good thing. I haven't seen the stats on that yet.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-24 03:07:21

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have a BIG REQUEST. If you are reading this post and have never created an NG account, I would like you to create an NG account and REPLY to this thread introducing yourself. I would also like you to tell us either the piece of content that brought you to NG, or the piece of content that made you decide to stick around NG. You can do so by simply pasting the URL on its own line in your reply; our forum will convert it to a fancy link.

I think the thing that made me make an account would be the flash portal in general. There's just so much good stuff on there!
It and the art portal (particularly thesexiestoffenders/ ) are what keeps me coming back.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-24 04:06:03

I have been on newgrounds since 2010, I am now 16 and I am working hard on an animated serie, and a steam game that I would be releasing soon

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-24 09:38:37

At 6/24/14 04:06 AM, in6seconds wrote: I have been on newgrounds since 2010, I am now 16 and I am working hard on an animated serie, and a steam game that I would be releasing soon

Is your Steam game already approved or are you doing Greenlight soon?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-24 10:59:39

I first found the old flash game "dad n me" on some other flash game site when I was 11, yet never really found the site until I was around...13? I didn't want to register an account until I was 16, so I waited and here I am now. I'm ready to submit content yet I'm working with a rather faulty computer. Its a rental so I'll just have to order a new one.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-24 11:39:26

Hi, I am Steward HK Lar Lover. Indie Game: The Movie is what brought me here to newgrounds. It's crazy--I've watched Indie Game millions of times and it never clicked to me to join this site. I know, I'm a goofball. The reason I like newgrounds so much is because it's 100% better than youtube. Youtube is old news. Anyway, I'm talking too long. Peace!

Steward HK Lar Lover

regtamad.wix.com/love

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-24 13:43:56

At 6/24/14 10:59 AM, FrozenJetpax wrote: I first found the old flash game "dad n me" on some other flash game site when I was 11, yet never really found the site until I was around...13? I didn't want to register an account until I was 16, so I waited and here I am now. I'm ready to submit content yet I'm working with a rather faulty computer. Its a rental so I'll just have to order a new one.

What sort of content do you plan to submit - movies, games, music, art? Thanks for signing up!

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-24 14:22:05

At 6/24/14 09:38 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/24/14 04:06 AM, in6seconds wrote: I have been on newgrounds since 2010, I am now 16 and I am working hard on an animated serie, and a steam game that I would be releasing soon
Is your Steam game already approved or are you doing Greenlight soon?

It's already been approved, but It's not even half finished yet.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-25 23:48:01

Hello, name's Vince and new here! Just graduated high school - Im a dancer, DJ / music producer, 3d-animator, video producer, etc. - a hobbyist :) Now that I have time, I decided to create a NG account and hopefully contribute a few flash-animations, songs, and any other things this year.
I've been surfing around Newgrounds atleast since around 2007 I think - playing games and watching movies. In the recent years I've been watching the FAUX series by Marsoupskin, movies by redminus, a lot of conceptual /abstract-like games, and many others.
I really loved "Lucky Day Forever" by Sarkazm, one of the movies that inspires and influences me at NG.
I've been studying how the media affects the society and looking forward to work in an advertisement company in the future - and make more videos!
Cheers!

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-26 11:19:16

At 6/25/14 11:48 PM, vincehuh wrote: I've been surfing around Newgrounds atleast since around 2007 I think - playing games and watching movies. In the recent years I've been watching the FAUX series by Marsoupskin, movies by redminus, a lot of conceptual /abstract-like games, and many others.

Thanks for joining! I'm working on a Throwback Thursday post and this FAUX trailer from 2011 is in there, three years ago this week.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-26 21:24:05

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Newgrounds will be turning 20 next year and the Flash Portal itself is already 15 years old, with the automated version turning 15 on April 6th next year. Those of us who have been around from the start have watched entire generations pass through. We've seen our favorite artists grow up and often grow out of NG, because life happens. Sometimes that sort of thing can get you down, but the cool thing is that new people are always starting out and we get to watch new stories unfold. You might miss favorites from the past but don't wear blinders to favorites of the future.

It must be crazy thinking that Newgrounds is turning as old as it is. How does it make you feel knowing that you've been spending so much time on here working on and improving this site for almost 2 decades?

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-27 10:23:44

At 6/26/14 09:24 PM, Viper wrote: It must be crazy thinking that Newgrounds is turning as old as it is. How does it make you feel knowing that you've been spending so much time on here working on and improving this site for almost 2 decades?

It's pretty nuts... I want 2015 to be an exceptional year, with the kinks worked out and more and more pages becoming mobile friendly.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-07-03 09:12:27

Hi there,

I'm fairly new. I'd visted newgrounds occasionally a few years back when people would link me to animations but only recently decided to join.

I've been a lurker over the years seeing occasional links to animations friends would link me to. or I might read about in a flash book as I was getting into flash animation.

I do remember these specifically bringing me here:

and probably a few others I can't think of now. I remember some of Gerkinman's animations being kind of cool because I was into nintendo64 games back in the day. Also I recently saw an interview with the creators of Super Meatboy in an interview on youtube mentioned getting a start on newgrounds.

Anyway, I mostly joined to start submitting content. I got fairly good among friends and making simple flash animations like a fathers day animation and some other stuff and wanted to start submitting content.

Professionally, I'm going into computer science as a programmer. I like both art and programming and couldn't decide between the too so I chose programming because it seemed most economical I suppose.

I've gotten fairly good at actionscript but the trend seems to be changing to HTML5 with javascript now days. Databases are also cool to work with as I've learned alot about MYSQL in school.

I have a youtube channel with some animations by the same name as my username kahootbird and a game in my profile. I will probably submit more as time permits.

Anyway, it's Interesting how newgrounds managed to catch a wave as flash got more popular. I suppose the next wave seems to be HTML5 and getting mobile friendly with a web framework, and that's changing rapidly. Time will only tell where it goes. :)

Ronnie

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-07-03 10:41:53

At 7/3/14 09:12 AM, kahootbird wrote: I've gotten fairly good at actionscript but the trend seems to be changing to HTML5 with javascript now days. Databases are also cool to work with as I've learned alot about MYSQL in school.

From a job security standpoint, being good with database and back-end code is a good skillset to have.

Anyway, it's Interesting how newgrounds managed to catch a wave as flash got more popular. I suppose the next wave seems to be HTML5 and getting mobile friendly with a web framework, and that's changing rapidly. Time will only tell where it goes. :)

We've got the HTML5 game support going but still need to get the actual site layout to be mobile friendly. That transition likely won't start to reveal itself until 2015, as part of an ongoing 20 year celebration. Intending to roll it out oldschool style like pre-2007 layouts, where individual sections of the site will make the jump to mobile-friendly, vs trying to launch a new site all at once.

BBS Signature