00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LFCLIAM96 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff

21,859 Views | 103 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:04:37

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: BIG REQUEST and stuff

Nice initiative! Not just good fun but good feedback in what content to focus on; promote as well. For a second there I kinda wished I wasn't signed up already so I could get all involved in this, alas the expectations and excitement with being a new user and discovering the rich history this place has at this point...

Those of us who have been around from the start have watched entire generations pass through. We've seen our favorite artists grow up and often grow out of NG, because life happens. Sometimes that sort of thing can get you down, but the cool thing is that new people are always starting out and we get to watch new stories unfold. You might miss favorites from the past but don't wear blinders to favorites of the future.

It's cool though how this place has been here all throughout this time, and keeps nurturing new generations; stays alive as a haven for old(er) generations to return to when they get that inevitable surge of nostalgia for this place that fostered their interest for the creative or deranged or eh.. other suspect and unsuitable content.

Hoping for great things with the 20 year celebrations! Not to put any pressure on staff, but this would be a great opportunity to maybe get all those bugs and missing features off of your todo lists, like the missing reviews on obituaries, that filesize field, maybe the stats page, maybe opening posts on topics not getting deleted along with users accounts (especially that - I've started fearing that maybe even one of those thousand-page topics might suddenly just vanish due to some old user deciding to abandon their presence here)...

Web gaming is going through its awkward teen period right now, with developers questioning the future of Flash, Unity requiring a plugin many people don't have and HTML5 games having issues with different / older browsers.

Hope Flash uses this doubt to their benefit. I'm still hoping it'll be a platform that lives on through the eons! Cause it's been around so long; has such a broad base of content developed for it already. And other benefits. And it could have even more...

This week the Art Portal celebrated its 5th birthday

Twas a fun event!

Other stuff

A bit more tolerable list of content today. Good stuff!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:08:44

Thanks for making this post. It finally made me get an account. I don't know the exact thing that brought me here, but it were mostly Tom's games especially this one:

Then I discovered that Newgrounds is so much more awesome than Kongregate. Newgrounds has although not a perfect a much closer community, but you also have the feeling the creator is actually a person (but of course we all know he's actually a spooky ghost-alien). For example, a guy just commented with an idea and instead of not replying he actually gave an answer, and he's even considering it, at what other site do you see that?

Radaketor is my gay lil' buddy.

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:09:20

At 6/20/14 11:14 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I actually forgot that it was my idea, damn.

Heey you've been mentioned in one of these posts now! :O Awesome.

At 6/20/14 02:29 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Was going to suggest bringing back the referral system for getting friends to recommend new friends to join but I can see how it would easily be broken quick. As in users who just want to go up quickly on the Exp. Rank list would make a lot of dummy accounts to give themselves Exp and referrals. Any way it could ever be brought back without it getting broken?

You received EXP based on how many hits in you had? Is this a different from the NG Fan Net back in the day that I don't even remember? The Fan Net's a little feature I'd definitely like to see surface again, my site looked a lot better with that fan box flashing on it. Was a fun way to discover other users site as well, it wasn't a direct referral system but I'm sure it brought in plenty of new users all the same!

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:20:33

At 6/20/14 03:51 PM, ZJ wrote: Personally speaking, I know they brought me to NG and I'm wondering if that lack of them is keeping new generations from visiting the website. I have no idea if this is useful to you, though.

Sprite movies continued to be popular but I front paged them less and less until they were never really front paged anymore. They were still doing well on sites like YouTube at that point, so they could probably still be doing well on NG.

It's a tough one because for an aspiring animator / director, sprites are a nice way to begin experimenting with movement, timing and story flow. The novelty really wore off though, where it felt like the front page was getting stuck in repeat and it was disenfranchising people who were drawing all their own stuff and making original characters.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:23:17

At 6/20/14 03:56 PM, BigMuFu wrote: Hey folks, I'm BigMuFu.

Thanks for sharing your story and it's awesome to see you already follow 133 artists in just one week! Does your front page feed feel like it updates daily? That is something I get really concerned about... My feed updates throughout the day but I follow over 1k people... A lot of users probably have a pretty dry feed.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:25:21

I don't remember how I learned about Newgrounds...I have no idea. been on here since 2004.

However, Vinnie's stuff had a huge impact on me.

That might have been the very first thing that I favorited.

Then this is one of his legendary classics.

Oh hey! This is one of my earlier memories:

I immensely cherished that one.

I hope your day will be as bright as the sun!

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:27:02

Yup! Updates just fine. Thanks for asking.

Thanks for sharing your story and it's awesome to see you already follow 133 artists in just one week! Does your front page feed feel like it updates daily? That is something I get really concerned about... My feed updates throughout the day but I follow over 1k people... A lot of users probably have a pretty dry feed.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:28:26

At 6/20/14 04:08 PM, Ro-May-O wrote: Thanks for making this post. It finally made me get an account. I don't know the exact thing that brought me here, but it were mostly Tom's games especially this one:

Thanks! I think you are the first person to actually create an account and reply in response to this post... It would have been BigMuFu but he made his account a week ago.

Funny that Pico is what brought you here... Today a guy came to recycle a bunch of our old hardware and he turned out to be a long-ago NG fan who played Pico. He hasn't been to the site in years but he also happened to be a huge Castle Crashers fan without having made the connection. It's cool to see stuff like that. He's planning to check out NG again now!

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:30:02

At 6/20/14 04:09 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: You received EXP based on how many hits in you had? Is this a different from the NG Fan Net back in the day that I don't even remember?

The Fan-Net didn't reward EXP, it had it's own ranking list that ranked the participating sites. The problem was people would game the system and the top links were spam / malware / etc. so we finally just killed it.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:32:35

At 6/20/14 04:25 PM, SpikeVallentine wrote: I don't remember how I learned about Newgrounds...I have no idea. been on here since 2004.

However, Vinnie's stuff had a huge impact on me.

I get the impression O-Ovinnie was a huge inspiration for lots of animators. He last popped by in 2011, I wonder what he's up to nowadays.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:44:02

At 6/20/14 11:39 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Oh look FRESH MEAT YO!

Well, you gave it a try.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 16:46:36

At 6/20/14 04:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Sprite movies continued to be popular but I front paged them less and less until they were never really front paged anymore. They were still doing well on sites like YouTube at that point, so they could probably still be doing well on NG.

It's a tough one because for an aspiring animator / director, sprites are a nice way to begin experimenting with movement, timing and story flow. The novelty really wore off though, where it felt like the front page was getting stuck in repeat and it was disenfranchising people who were drawing all their own stuff and making original characters.

If a sprite movie is great and deserves frontpage, I think you shouldn't skip it just because it's made of sprites. Those who complain should rather improve their own comedic writing / timing rather than arguing that they made their slightly less funny work from scratch. Originality is very important, but it's not the sole feature a movie should be judged by. If you are worried about a flood if sprite movies, you could limit it to one or two frontpage spots max. Seeing how many great sprite movies are part of NG history, they can't be that unoriginal after all.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 17:22:38

At 6/20/14 04:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: The Fan-Net didn't reward EXP, it had it's own ranking list that ranked the participating sites. The problem was people would game the system and the top links were spam / malware / etc. so we finally just killed it.

Ah, well it's good to know there was a solid reason why that finesse faded away, it was fun while it lasted... would be cool with a list of users that have sites ( user - site ), without ranking or other privilege that might cause spam and abuse. It could filter out any inactive users too, so the users/sites listed would all be relevant and maybe even up-to-date. I guess that type of content discovery's not as high in demand with all social media though, but there's an idea... to add to the mound of them...

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 18:38:41

Im on newgrounds since 2011 but i changed my name in 2013 to Aphyrmehrius, i was Armandragon before, btw also have a song called armandragon created by me, i am making music for newgrounds, because i love the newgrounds comunity, and there is lot of ppls inspiring me making music, i always tryed making high quality stuff and fun songs, also im trying to get at last a 1000 views on my last song awakening, i hope i will success.

Thank you so much Tom Fulp for making newgrounds, i love this website and newground comunity :) .

Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 18:41:42

At 6/20/14 06:38 PM, Aphyrmehrius wrote: Im on newgrounds since 2011 but i changed my name in 2013 to Aphyrmehrius, i was Armandragon before, btw also have a song called armandragon created by me, i am making music for newgrounds, because i love the newgrounds comunity, and there is lot of ppls inspiring me making music, i always tryed making high quality stuff and fun songs, also im trying to get at last a 1000 views on my last song awakening, i hope i will success.

Thank you so much Tom Fulp for making newgrounds, i love this website and newground comunity :) .

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 18:55:07

Animations/Games that got me aware of this site:

Madness stuff, Edmund's Games (Aether), Doki

The Art portal made me decide to make an account :)

Being able to upload Unity3D games made me more active here :P

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 18:56:12

I'm cheating, I made this account over a year ago so it isn't new, but before this one I had a different account on Newgrounds and was always on playing games and watching movies. I refuse to name what that account was because it still exists and I still go back to read the reviews that I used to leave on people's animations and games...yeah I'm a different person now, I promise.

There's a lot of stuff that got me to visit and stay on this site, because I think this is the hub for animators, artists and musicians.

and one of my all time favorite pieces of content on this site: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/347399

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 19:40:17

Hi! I've had a newgrounds account since 2007, but haven't been very active. The one thing that brought me here was Granfaloon's Real Legend of Zelda series (still hoping he's alive and working on the next one). Needless to say that a good chunk of my college days were spent in the portal both games and flashes.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 20:57:29

Yeah, I'm pretty new on Newgrounds but I'm trying to take part in collabs and 'events' (like the Art Portal's flood this week) as much as I can in order to be part of this amazing community. :)

Jazza brought me here. I've been following him on YouTube for a few years and Newgrounds was always mentioned at the end of his videos, which end up encouraging me to create an account here and try to make stuff in a different language. (I'm from Brazil)

I'm really enjoying my stay so far.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 21:00:51

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 21:01:56

well, im here ''officially'' as a member since 2006 (will soon become a decade member i guess)
but as a lurker, i have started to visit this site since 2002.

the first thing that got me into the NG was the game ''rock paper scissors rullette'' with pico that was featured on an other site (it was called T-bone fun.com, and the other site that also had pico/assasin games was the chillibomb.com).
so, after seeing that both of the pico and the assasin games originated from the newgrounds site, i went there, and i watched a few stuff.

so, there is it was, newgrounds, the problems of the future, today!
and i saw some funny celebrities movies/and games, and i saw the britney fun page, the telebubbies(get it? ;) ) page, and the club a seal page! haha, that was so horrible, but it somehow seemed funny.
after a few months (in 2002) , i saw some violent movies on NG and i said ''lets take a break from here'' and i left.
then, on 2003-2004 i started visiting the site again, and i discovered great movies, and many clock crew legendary flash movies as well. thus, i loved the clock-crew, newgrounds for its quality, and yes, i will admit, i also liked the stick-figure movies that were in here (and hence why my name is the stick). xiao xiao was popular back then, and i liked it alot.

and for the next years until 2006, i was a lurker all around, watching NG movies very often
and i never got around to create a profile, until the time i got into 2006.
and if you think about it, if i created a profile on 2003, now i would be an old-dog cool guy!
imagine the stats!

oh well. here's my story, i hope i didnt made you to sleep.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 21:44:24

At 6/20/14 04:46 PM, Luwano wrote: If a sprite movie is great and deserves frontpage, I think you shouldn't skip it just because it's made of sprites.

There isn't an outright ban on sprite movies, a really good one can still make the front page. Sprite movies with good comedy, voicing and some original sprite work have the best chance.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 22:29:16

At 6/20/14 09:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/20/14 04:46 PM, Luwano wrote: If a sprite movie is great and deserves frontpage, I think you shouldn't skip it just because it's made of sprites.
There isn't an outright ban on sprite movies, a really good one can still make the front page. Sprite movies with good comedy, voicing and some original sprite work have the best chance.

Oh ok thanks for clarifying and sorry, it really sounded a bit like there was some sort of "ban" or avoidance.

Since I am replied I might as well answer the actual question, even though I am not a new user. I visited one of the early NG versions and played that police bike game a few times. A friend later showed me Bloody Rage

I started visiting NG regularly after that. I created an account after watching chluaid's work on here. It probably made me understand that NG is more than just a place to play funny flash games. I only got involved in the forums years later after taking part in some art forum activities.

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-20 23:40:51

The reason i love Newgrounds is because it is probably the most creative site of the whole internet and it has some much great content and community, i havent put any videos or games up on my Newgrounds account but i will be doing that very soon thanks Merlin.

am i allowed to do 4

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-21 00:38:50

I got in here via those dumb interactive banner ads. I think it was the motorcycle one where you run over people. Then it was Street Life and scrotum the puppy. I also remember minchambers animations and his intricate use of gradients(back in the day gradient fills were cool).

Also first post

None

BBS Signature

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-21 01:21:14

Yeah I'm new here and how I came to stick around was for MOAR MADNESS!!! LOL.

I thought something smelled, I guess it was just you. By the way, I dated your sister.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-21 01:54:56

Well Im QuazMojo and what made me want to stay on Newgrounds was the community cause I feel like it can help me go further with my aspirations of being a game developer.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-21 02:43:39

I am Boba, or, Bobafettkickbut as my username is. i was brought to newgrounds because of War of the Webs and stuck around because of that very game. Newgrounds has many great games, but sadly some people just make random games that sometimes arent even games and just do nothing. Apart from this, newgrounds is a very good website and i hope it becomes much better then it is now!

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-21 03:57:11

I have been on newgrounds for 3 years but never really made a account. But this time I did and I feel like I can achieve something great out of here. I already posted 1 audio and 2 art pieces. and I already have 2 fans which is amazing for me xD.

Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 2014-06-21 04:03:16

I first came across or rather was reintroduced here way back in the beginning of 2006 from Bezo's work on the Kombat Pavilion. I remember movies and games on here from way back in 2000 that I'd watch my sister play. Some of them scared me, but I was rather a sweater wearing puss as a kid, so that's no surprise. NG was all about the violence back in the day though you have to admit. I miss when NG's offensive material felt fresh. I plan to bring that craze back pretty soon here. Just have to get my lazy ass acquainted with flash again. Actually more interested in After Effects too. Once my roll gets going, I'll never leave! I'll be a regular here for good, unlike any other leaving whores out there. > :-0

TIME IS VERY SHORT, SO DON'T STEP ON IT!