Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer

I have a BIG REQUEST. If you are reading this post and have never created an NG account, I would like you to create an NG account and REPLY to this thread introducing yourself. I would also like you to tell us either the piece of content that brought you to NG, or the piece of content that made you decide to stick around NG. You can do so by simply pasting the URL on its own line in your reply; our forum will convert it to a fancy link.

This could be a fun Follow Friday tradition because the point of Follow Friday is using your account to follow people in your feed!

Follow Friday

Newgrounds will be turning 20 next year and the Flash Portal itself is already 15 years old, with the automated version turning 15 on April 6th next year. Those of us who have been around from the start have watched entire generations pass through. We've seen our favorite artists grow up and often grow out of NG, because life happens. Sometimes that sort of thing can get you down, but the cool thing is that new people are always starting out and we get to watch new stories unfold. You might miss favorites from the past but don't wear blinders to favorites of the future.

The Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation open round was really inspirational this year, with over 70 entries and a number of really impressive artists in the 14-17 range. Not all of them made it to the Novice Round and I hope that doesn't discourage them, I'm trying to follow all of them so I can watch their work progress. You can read more about them here and here.

Another young artist we just discovered this week is TrueJackson. He's really talented and funny!

• Five Flour Anergy
    Five Flour Anergy by TrueJackson

its like really intense. you're mind might explode

Score
    3.73 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Arm Wrestle Fanatic
    Arm Wrestle Fanatic by TrueJackson

Ego is the real enemy guys...

Score
    2.84 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Dogs and Sewing Machines
    Dogs and Sewing Machines by TrueJackson

My dad gets out of control

Score
    2.82 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

If you like his stuff, be sure to click the heart next to his name to follow him!

There's plenty of great stuff coming from OGs, too. aap dopped in this week to give us this:

• The Old Harmonium
    The Old Harmonium by aap

A short stop motion animation about an old forgotten harmonium.

Score
    4.03 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

He has another new animation coming soon, follow him if you don't want to miss it!

BoobMarley uploaded his first game this week and you gotta check it out; it's got a lot of humor and deaths.

• The Chalice of Marfa
    The Chalice of Marfa by BoobMarley

Play as lovable thief Woodchuck in this Record of Lodoss War mystery & puzzle adventure!

Score
    4.01 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

It's possible I've been living under a rock but this week I started discovering HTML5 games with controller support, so I can play them with my Xbox controller. I first saw it with a game HenerzH made for the Construct 2030 Jam here on NG.

• Danger Time
    Danger Time by HenerzH

Use Drake Duck's unique abilities to save women throwing themselves off from buildings.

Score
    2.25 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

I saw it again with a game by RaveRadbury, Hainsaw and zathr, also made with Construct 2.

• It Came From Outer Space
    It Came From Outer Space by RaveRadbury

Metal Slug x Bullet Hell x Infinite Arcade! Shoot the final scene of a B-Movie!

Score
    3.23 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Web gaming is going through its awkward teen period right now, with developers questioning the future of Flash, Unity requiring a plugin many people don't have and HTML5 games having issues with different / older browsers. This will all be sorted out with time and lots of great gaming is ahead. LariusPrime is working to bring console support to Haxe/OpenFL. Please reply to his thread if this is something that would interest you as a developer!

This week the Art Portal celebrated its 5th birthday and TurkeyOnAStick organized a fun celebration with a theme suggested by Amaranthus. Artists made remakes of their very first Art Portal submissions. Here's the before and after from TurkeyOnAStick:

• Cock Clock
    Cock Clock by TurkeyOnAStick

Pic I did for Perfect Pet contest. A rooster that teabags a brew for you in the morning. Yes.

Score
    3.714622641 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Adults Only
  • Toas Tea
    Toas Tea by TurkeyOnAStick

Happy 5th birthday, art portal! I redid my first submission for the flood. http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/turkeyonastick/...

Score
    3.695652173 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

We also featured this beautiful piece by NataliKlekot, new to NG in 2014.

• Alexis
    Alexis by NataliKlekot

watercolor

Score
    4.655462184 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

The Audio Portal has lots of treasures, too!

Inspired by JRPG soundtracks, DanJohansen shared a piece that gave me fond memories of Ys:

• Pillars of Valo
    Pillars of Valo by DanJohansen

Valo

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

ButzboPrud's NATA Novice Round entry features a great song by roflsandwhich:

• 'Sprouting Frog Waves'
    'Sprouting Frog Waves' by ButzboPrud

Croack!

Score
    4.20 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Through the cavern!
    Through the cavern! by roflsandwhich

tried to make a kind of cave level sound to it, but it became something else

Score
    4.91 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

Can we please get Butzbo to 1000 fans?

Finally, Jimmypig just uploaded this and it popped into my feed!

• XS - Entry
    XS - Entry by Jimmypig

Trappy big roomy everything populary

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dubstep
    Popularity

Power of Four - Make a game! Make lifelong friends!

The Power of Four is a game dev event going on all summer. Put together a team of four and make a game with a theme of four! Post your team in the Po4 thread and get added to the Team Roster.

Spread the Word

Please follow NG on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr and like / share / re-tweet / reblog the stuff you like!

Special thanks to this week's new supporters:

Teddynotes
247hour
noxiousfumes
N64link
chargerv
MonkfishFace
Elitistinen
Mister-Liberty
bluefish192
wolfesschaos
once-dead-always-ded
Norsedude

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Amaranthus
Amaranthus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Filmmaker
Response to Next Gen Talent & More Cool Stuff 1 month ago Reply

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: This week the Art Portal celebrated its 5th birthday and TurkeyOnAStick organized a fun celebration with a theme suggested by Amaranthus.

I actually forgot that it was my idea, damn.

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes, the wøndërful telephøne system and mäni interesting furry animals, including the majestik møøse.

BBS Signature
Indeks
Indeks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator

well im a new user i had an old account from 2010 but i forgot about it i was being on NG with the old account from 2010-2012 and then in 2014 i made a new account to start again

Dzemal Cobic (Indeks)

BBS Signature
Chaz
Chaz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Game Developer

I can't believe the Portal is turning 15!

I think it's fair to say that Newgrounds almost single-handedly helped elevate Flash and it's status as a respectable platform for game (and of course, movie) creation. Without NG, a LOT of other portals wouldn't exist, and most games that go viral tend to come from being scouted from it's hallowed front page.

I find it a bit of a shame that some artists have gone to Youtube and left NG behind. It is nice however, in the face of such an exodus, that NG has lasted as long as it has and is arguably more relevant than ever.

It will definitely be interesting to see what the next generation of talent come up with, but I can't lie; I would love to see some of the old guard come back with new installments of IPs that influenced myself and many other many years ago.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer

At 6/20/14 11:22 AM, Indeks wrote: well im a new user i had an old account from 2010 but i forgot about it i was being on NG with the old account from 2010-2012 and then in 2014 i made a new account to start again

Thanks for coming back! Was there a specific piece of content that brought you back?

BBS Signature
Pjorg
Pjorg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist

If you wanna get a few more teams in power of four, it might help to do a quick weekend game jam soon. Most of that 14-17 crowd is getting out of highschool now and probably looking for projects to do this summer, but a four month jam is kinda tough to commit to if you've never worked with another artist/coder/whatever before. A quick three day jam would be a way for people to find collaborators quickly and prototype something. Then if they like working together they might join a power of four team. I met Manly-Chicken randomly five minutes before a weekend game jam and it was such a good experience that we've published five or six games together since.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer

At 6/20/14 11:31 AM, Pjorg wrote: If you wanna get a few more teams in power of four, it might help to do a quick weekend game jam soon. Most of that 14-17 crowd is getting out of highschool now and probably looking for projects to do this summer, but a four month jam is kinda tough to commit to if you've never worked with another artist/coder/whatever before. A quick three day jam would be a way for people to find collaborators quickly and prototype something. Then if they like working together they might join a power of four team. I met Manly-Chicken randomly five minutes before a weekend game jam and it was such a good experience that we've published five or six games together since.

That's a great point. How about a Robot Jam, theme could be announced July 4th and games need to be published on July 10th, Robot Day? Huge problem there is July 4th weekend / big holiday time / but teams would have 6 days to pad it... Really we should do a jam next weekend.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician

At 6/20/14 11:37 AM, TomFulp wrote: How about a Robot Jam, theme could be announced July 4th

If you decided to do that, I certainly wouldn't mind helping some guys out with some original music. It is good when you actually have time to do this stuff.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Ciullo-Corporation
Ciullo-Corporation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: I have a BIG REQUEST. If you are reading this post and have never created an NG account, I would like you to create an NG account and REPLY to this thread introducing yourself.

This could be a fun Follow Friday tradition because the point of Follow Friday is using your account to follow people in your feed!

Follow Friday

Newgrounds will be turning 20 next year and the Flash Portal itself is already 15 years old, with the automated version turning 15 on April 6th next year.

That's great! We partecipated to dA birthday with a massive render of all our OCs last year, it would be great to share such an anniversary also here on NG. Good luck and keep it up!

About introducing ourselves (though I'm not a fresh new user)... can I "use" the Follow Friday post to share a thing I'm really proud?
http://ciullo-corporation.newgrounds.com/news/post/898551
It's my first book, a self-publication.

Ciullo Corporation - Creativity is our Work

Wanna be a fan?

RaveRadbury
RaveRadbury
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: I saw it again with a game by RaveRadbury, Hainsaw and zathr, also made with Construct 2.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/641393

Thanks for featuring us, Tom! This is the biggest piece that Hainsaw and I have made so far (zathr did the soundtrack for Dungeons of Dredmor, amongst other work), so we're blown away to see our game on the front page!

Indeks
Indeks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator

Thanks for coming back! Was there a specific piece of content that brought you back?

Yeah there was:

• Superfighters
    Superfighters by JohanHjarpe

An explosive action platformer from the creators of BO: The Secret of Steel.

Score
    4.33 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Abobo's Big Adventure
    Abobo's Big Adventure by Abobo

The Ultimate Tribute to the NES! Play as the angriest 8-bit character in the universe!

Score
    4.41 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Mastermind: WC
    Mastermind: WC by The-Swain

Manage your minions, defend your base, and conquer this puny planet ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Score
    4.44 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

these three brought me back and the feeling of making and submiting flash

Dzemal Cobic (Indeks)

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician

Hello to any newcomers. Always cool to see new faces and talent.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #10 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician

hello I am new everyone

asl?

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: This week the Art Portal celebrated its 5th birthday and TurkeyOnAStick organized a fun celebration with a theme suggested by Amaranthus. Artists made remakes of their very first Art Portal submissions.

Just want to say a big thanks to all the people who joined in on this, there's a fair few people who have made a great improvement in their stuff. I think there might be a few more coming, but we'll wait and see.

Cheers to @Wegra as well, otherwise we'd have totally forgotten about the art portal's 5th birthday. Like my dad with all of mine.

BBS Signature
Bcadren
Bcadren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer

Well, the first thing I can remember seeing on Newgrounds...was probably the original Madness, which I'm sure I don't need to link, but I still will:

• Madness Combat
    Madness Combat by Krinkels

Four months in the making-

Score
    4.43 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

That was 8th grade; I was 12/13. Had a band director that was a complete joke that didn't give a damn about his job; people were huddled around computers playing flash and games; I also remember the original Jet Slalom, though I don't think that's ever been hosted here. Had to use a proxy to get around the protective walls to view the stuff. Heh.

Why I actually got an account though?

The guy that made this:

• You Are Disabled
    You Are Disabled by Kcori

You're plagued with a random disability at birth and discarded underground by humanity.

Score
    3.16 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Posted in the Ludum Dare forum about how much more supportive Newgrounds was of his Ludum Dare entry and Ludum Dare in general. I joined in order to post my own LD entry. It got about 2k plays. Most any game I'd ever made had gotten.

And, I'm mostly here to try to launch myself as a serious dev.

I'm 23; have my bachelors (B.F.A. Game Design) and am trying to 'make it' Not exactly sure what that means; but I feel like I have to keep making things, until something is good/unique enough that people want it and I have to sell that.

I'm a programmer (mostly Unity; though also normal Java and C#) and a 3D artist (my training at the school was in 3DS Max and Maya; I'm limited to Blender now and am not quite as good with it).

And I've been stuck back with parents for like a year now and am willing to do...quite a lot of things to get out of it; I just don't know much other than continuing with projects.

dylan
dylan
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Blank Slate

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Can we please get Butzbo to 1000 fans?

anything less than 2000 simply will not do.

Apparently he's looking into doing power of four, so any programmer or musician that wants to be a part of what will most definitely be the one of the coolest looking games on newgrounds should contact him asap!

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator

For the few years I've been on NG's art forum and art & flash portal, they have kept me drawing and animating, which could be a good or bad thing.. depending on who you ask. I still have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm having some fun doing it. Thanks.

Mia
Mia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer

I've recently returned. Sort of. I brought myself to make a flash last week. Nothing special. Nothing really inspired my to come back. Just wanted to make a remake of an old shit flash I did in 2010. (Now gone).

BBS Signature
Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator

Though what brought me back to NG has more to do with it enabling video submissions, what makes me stick around are submissions like...

• Wonders: Milky Ways
    Wonders: Milky Ways by Toonwerks

You appear to be having trouble sleeping!

Score
    4.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

... Wonders of the Universe is my #1 favorite show that gets published on Newgrounds. It is amazing what a small team of developers can do.

Then there's entries like these that are just baffling in terms of animation quality (created by ONE person) that rivals studios that benefit from a full team of artists.

• The Crawler
    The Crawler by SethBrady

Watch out for monsters.

Score
    4.47 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Tombstone Jumping Devil
    Tombstone Jumping Devil by RWappin

A music video about grisly ghouls from every tomb closing in to seal your doom

Score
    4.23 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Then there's those artists who... while they may not focus on flashy works or things of that sort, are able to publish interesting content nonetheless.

• The Scenic Route
    The Scenic Route by RadioTubeClock

Billiardball travels across time and space to deliver his voice files to RadioTube.

Score
    4.01 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Long story short, if you like the content someone publishes... let them know. They're giving it to you, almost for FREE, and the least that you could do to thank them is tell them how much you appreciate them sharing the result of their blood, sweat and tears with you.

squidly
squidly
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer

Still looking for an artiiiiist, bout' a Ludum Dara and a 1/2 of artwork, contact me if you're interested, it's gonna be so cool.

It's the only way out!

zmosh
zmosh
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator

Before then there was Prodigy where Tom created his comics, then he created NGR which is the first NG Site there were only 2 of them and got a fast.net account, NG gave birth to the portal and assassin games like Bob Saget, Leonardo DeCaprio, and Saddam Hussein, gave birth to also Teletubby fun land, Club a Sal, Cat Dynamics and other games like Beep me Jesus or the FDA, then fan created their own submissions like Hate, Un-named, and Scrotum by Beaton, and i can't name anything else because there are too many that i can't keep up so here's a picture of NG in 1998.

Next Gen Talent &amp; More Cool Stuff

ZMOSH PRODUCTIONS INC
For those who take selfies
Click here

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer

At 6/20/14 01:01 PM, Bcadren wrote: The guy that made this:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/630414
Posted in the Ludum Dare forum about how much more supportive Newgrounds was of his Ludum Dare entry and Ludum Dare in general. I joined in order to post my own LD entry. It got about 2k plays. Most any game I'd ever made had gotten.

Cool to see that Ludum Dare brought you here! Also I still need to get back to you about Unity API stuff, been pondering on that this week.

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician

Was going to suggest bringing back the referral system for getting friends to recommend new friends to join but I can see how it would easily be broken quick. As in users who just want to go up quickly on the Exp. Rank list would make a lot of dummy accounts to give themselves Exp and referrals. Any way it could ever be brought back without it getting broken?

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer

yeah I want to level up quicker how am I suppose to zero bomb people?

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician

At 6/20/14 01:11 PM, Mia wrote: I've recently returned. Sort of. I brought myself to make a flash last week. Nothing special. Nothing really inspired my to come back. Just wanted to make a remake of an old shit flash I did in 2010. (Now gone).

Ah, I was wondering what happened to those games, the were cruddy storywise but otherwise hilarious and fun. Regardless, nice to see you back.

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Movie Buff

At 6/20/14 01:00 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Cheers to @Wegra as well, otherwise we'd have totally forgotten about the art portal's 5th birthday. Like my dad with all of mine.

Awww thanks. I'll be sure to remind you all when eacjh portal hits it's anniversary ;)

I have a penis

BBS Signature
artistunknown
artistunknown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator

At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Newgrounds will be turning 20 next year and the Flash Portal itself is already 15 years old, with the automated version turning 15 on April 6th next year. Those of us who have been around from the start have watched entire generations pass through. We've seen our favorite artists grow up and often grow out of NG, because life happens. Sometimes that sort of thing can get you down, but the cool thing is that new people are always starting out and we get to watch new stories unfold. You might miss favorites from the past but don't wear blinders to favorites of the future.

I'd hate to spoil it, but what's funny is that's basically the "moral" in the Pico Day animation I've been working on since last year. I guess it's more appropriate that it's finally going to be finished next year, since Newgrounds is turning 20 ;3

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist

20 years huh.. damn I feel old..

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician

At 6/20/14 02:49 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: yeah I want to level up quicker how am I suppose to zero bomb people?

Is that user still whining how "you're zero-bombing their audio"? :P

At 6/20/14 02:56 PM, Wegra wrote:
At 6/20/14 01:00 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 6/20/14 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Awww thanks. I'll be sure to remind you all when eacjh portal hits it's anniversary ;)

Audio Portal's 10th anniversary was 2 years ago.. Fabulous times! <3

BBS Signature