00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help with optimization/lag reduc...

557 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I know near to nothing about as3 besides what you see in my project.

Now that i've gotten that out of the way. I was hoping someone on here with more knowledge in the area could give me some ideas for reducing the lag in my animation. Right now I am trying to reduce all of my artwork down to its most basic form and then Im going to change all my tweens to frame by frame because that has helped with an older animation of mine. Other then that though, I have no ideas on what would help my animation run smoothly. I need to turn this project in by Friday (the 20th, yes i realize thats tomorrow). Even if no one can help in that time though I would still love to hear feed back and learn more about how to go about fixing lag. Here is the download link to my project:

Download Project

Big thanks in advance.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 12:54:59

At 6/19/14 10:05 AM, waspelectra wrote: I know near to nothing about as3 besides what you see in my project.

Now that i've gotten that out of the way. I was hoping someone on here with more knowledge in the area could give me some ideas for reducing the lag in my animation. Right now I am trying to reduce all of my artwork down to its most basic form and then Im going to change all my tweens to frame by frame because that has helped with an older animation of mine. Other then that though, I have no ideas on what would help my animation run smoothly. I need to turn this project in by Friday (the 20th, yes i realize thats tomorrow). Even if no one can help in that time though I would still love to hear feed back and learn more about how to go about fixing lag. Here is the download link to my project:

Download Project

Big thanks in advance.

No one is going to download you project and clan it up for you. get Adobe Scout

it'll tel you whats taking the most time to calculate, and you can find whats causing the most lag, when you find what's lagging we'll help optimize that specific section of code.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 14:56:54

I've gotten the trial version of Adobe Scout and have downloaded Python but the instructions are saying to run a script and I don't know how to do that, and I need to do that in order to calculate my swf file in Scout. Can anyone tell me how to run a script?

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 15:56:34

At 6/19/14 02:56 PM, waspelectra wrote: I've gotten the trial version of Adobe Scout and have downloaded Python but the instructions are saying to run a script and I don't know how to do that, and I need to do that in order to calculate my swf file in Scout. Can anyone tell me how to run a script?

Did you install creative cloud? Scout is a free download and there is no python required, at least before yesterday. I haven't paid for it and CC still gives me an install button rather than a trial button.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 16:57:10

At 6/19/14 03:56 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 6/19/14 02:56 PM, waspelectra wrote: I've gotten the trial version of Adobe Scout and have downloaded Python but the instructions are saying to run a script and I don't know how to do that, and I need to do that in order to calculate my swf file in Scout. Can anyone tell me how to run a script?
Did you install creative cloud? Scout is a free download and there is no python required, at least before yesterday. I haven't paid for it and CC still gives me an install button rather than a trial button.

I did install the trial of CC and downloaded and installed Scout. On the Scout page it says:

"Using Flash Professional
If you’re using Flash Professional, there isn’t yet an integrated UI for enabling advanced telemetry. Adobe will be adding this in an upcoming version, but in the meantime, you can download and use a Python script (add-opt-in.py) from https://github.com/adamcath/telemetry-utils. If you don’t have Python installed already, visit http://python.org to find out more and download it. After that, just run the add-opt-in.py script on your SWF, and you’re ready to go.

This approach can be also useful if you have existing SWFs that you need to profile, but can’t easily recompile."

so I assumed I had to download Python and run the script since when i had Scout running and played my SWF file, it did not recognize it and start calculating it. Or am I wrong to believe this is what I need to make it work?

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 17:30:03

At 6/19/14 04:57 PM, waspelectra wrote: so I assumed I had to download Python and run the script since when i had Scout running and played my SWF file, it did not recognize it and start calculating it. Or am I wrong to believe this is what I need to make it work?

Ah, flashdevelop has a plugin to add the telemetry tag to the swf and I forgot it existed. Google easy telemetry or something like that, drag the swf into the program and it'll add the tag for you to use scout's advanced telemetry.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 18:07:07

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 18:18:13

At 6/19/14 06:07 PM, milchreis wrote: That should help:

http://renaun.com/blog/2012/12/enable-advanced-telemetry-on-flex-or-old-swfs-with-swf-scount-enabler/

I downloaded that enabler awhile ago and tried it and it creates a new file but then I run the file and Scout doesnt discover/recognize it.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 20:57:57

I know its a lot to ask but maybe could someone who has Scout working with enabling advanced telemetry working, be able to Scout my project and post the results so I could get some help on how to go about fixing it what is causing the problem?

Id be forever in your debt. I really need to get this lag gone.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 21:09:07

You can enable advanced telemetry through FlashDevelop without any plugins or extra tools that were mentioned above. Check the compiler options.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 21:09:22

At 6/19/14 08:57 PM, waspelectra wrote: I know its a lot to ask but maybe could someone who has Scout working with enabling advanced telemetry working, be able to Scout my project and post the results so I could get some help on how to go about fixing it what is causing the problem?

If you googled what I said, this would have been the first link.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 21:19:45

At 6/19/14 09:09 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 6/19/14 08:57 PM, waspelectra wrote: I know its a lot to ask but maybe could someone who has Scout working with enabling advanced telemetry working, be able to Scout my project and post the results so I could get some help on how to go about fixing it what is causing the problem?

If you googled what I said, this would have been the first link.

Right sorry, I did that too but its only for windows and im running a Mac. I did download it though, installed it and ran it under my windows half of my comp but it didnt work for me. It never output a file.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 21:22:54

At 6/19/14 09:09 PM, slugrail wrote: You can enable advanced telemetry through FlashDevelop without any plugins or extra tools that were mentioned above. Check the compiler options.

I'm unfamiliar with FlashDevelop but I will check it out.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 21:36:26

At 6/19/14 09:22 PM, waspelectra wrote:
At 6/19/14 09:09 PM, slugrail wrote: You can enable advanced telemetry through FlashDevelop without any plugins or extra tools that were mentioned above. Check the compiler options.
I'm unfamiliar with FlashDevelop but I will check it out.

I looked into it but its for windows only and I would need to install Java and Flash player for Windows which wont work with my partitioning so that I can run windows on Mac.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 22:18:47

At 6/19/14 09:19 PM, waspelectra wrote: Right sorry, I did that too but its only for windows and im running a Mac. I did download it though, installed it and ran it under my windows half of my comp but it didnt work for me. It never output a file.

It edits the swf you put in, all it does is stick some data at the front of the swf.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 22:44:00

At 6/19/14 10:18 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 6/19/14 09:19 PM, waspelectra wrote: Right sorry, I did that too but its only for windows and im running a Mac. I did download it though, installed it and ran it under my windows half of my comp but it didnt work for me. It never output a file.
It edits the swf you put in, all it does is stick some data at the front of the swf.

Okay well I did it again with the swf and then I ran it and still nothing happens with Scout. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 23:15:38

At 6/19/14 10:44 PM, waspelectra wrote: Okay well I did it again with the swf and then I ran it and still nothing happens with Scout. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

You can send me the swf, but I'd use easy telemetry too (the AT plugin only adds the tag during export, so I can't use it with your swf). What do you mean nothing happens with scout though? Something should happen, just not the advanced stuff.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 23:38:37

At 6/19/14 11:15 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 6/19/14 10:44 PM, waspelectra wrote: Okay well I did it again with the swf and then I ran it and still nothing happens with Scout. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
You can send me the swf, but I'd use easy telemetry too (the AT plugin only adds the tag during export, so I can't use it with your swf). What do you mean nothing happens with scout though? Something should happen, just not the advanced stuff.

Here's a link that has the fla and swf file.

download

I mean that I drag and drop my file into the easytelemetry application and while having scout running, i play the swf and nothing shows up, like it doesn't recognize that the swf is playing.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-19 23:53:07

At 6/19/14 11:38 PM, waspelectra wrote: I mean that I drag and drop my file into the easytelemetry application and while having scout running, i play the swf and nothing shows up, like it doesn't recognize that the swf is playing.

Scout recognizes all flash content. It used to pick up youtube videos that I had paused while I was debugging a game (before they switched to html5). Advanced telemetry lets you look at exactly which function is being called and what objects are being allocated and deallocated, which is what the AT tag is for.

As far as your movie, you have a million things in the display list that are making your game run at 1.6 fps according to scout. I looked at a bit of your fla, and it seems like you have way too many masks. Try swivel to convert it to mp4, but the problem is probably your billion masking layers. I only got like 1/3 through your layers and I saw folders which means more masking layers probably.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-20 00:03:38

At 6/19/14 11:53 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 6/19/14 11:38 PM, waspelectra wrote: I mean that I drag and drop my file into the easytelemetry application and while having scout running, i play the swf and nothing shows up, like it doesn't recognize that the swf is playing.
Scout recognizes all flash content. It used to pick up youtube videos that I had paused while I was debugging a game (before they switched to html5). Advanced telemetry lets you look at exactly which function is being called and what objects are being allocated and deallocated, which is what the AT tag is for.

As far as your movie, you have a million things in the display list that are making your game run at 1.6 fps according to scout. I looked at a bit of your fla, and it seems like you have way too many masks. Try swivel to convert it to mp4, but the problem is probably your billion masking layers. I only got like 1/3 through your layers and I saw folders which means more masking layers probably.

Do you mean masks as in like masking in photoshop or are you talking about all the folders and the files inside of them and therefore things are getting buried? I've been trying to break down the artwork so there arent a million groupings but its gotten to a point where its slowed my computer down so much that it takes seemingly five years to make a simple selection.

The project itself is a menu system so wouldnt converting it to an mp4 just take away all interactivity?

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-20 00:07:42

At 6/20/14 12:03 AM, waspelectra wrote: Do you mean masks as in like masking in photoshop or are you talking about all the folders and the files inside of them and therefore things are getting buried? I've been trying to break down the artwork so there arent a million groupings but its gotten to a point where its slowed my computer down so much that it takes seemingly five years to make a simple selection.

The project itself is a menu system so wouldnt converting it to an mp4 just take away all interactivity?

I might have lost some things from cs6->5.5, but you definitely had masking layers all over the place. Folders are fine to have. It's possible you accidentally made every folder a mask.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-20 00:32:19

At 6/20/14 12:07 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 6/20/14 12:03 AM, waspelectra wrote: Do you mean masks as in like masking in photoshop or are you talking about all the folders and the files inside of them and therefore things are getting buried? I've been trying to break down the artwork so there arent a million groupings but its gotten to a point where its slowed my computer down so much that it takes seemingly five years to make a simple selection.

I might have lost some things from cs6->5.5, but you definitely had masking layers all over the place. Folders are fine to have. It's possible you accidentally made every folder a mask.

I do have masks in my document but i dont see a way around that. The mask is keeping the slides that come into place, from showing up outside of the "temple" frame thing. Should i just not use masks? I dont know of anyway to go about getting that same result without the use of masks.

Response to Help with optimization/lag reduc... 2014-06-20 01:40:06

At 6/20/14 12:32 AM, waspelectra wrote:
At 6/20/14 12:07 AM, MSGhero wrote: I might have lost some things from cs6->5.5, but you definitely had masking layers all over the place. Folders are fine to have. It's possible you accidentally made every folder a mask.
I do have masks in my document but i dont see a way around that. The mask is keeping the slides that come into place, from showing up outside of the "temple" frame thing. Should i just not use masks? I dont know of anyway to go about getting that same result without the use of masks.

I went through and removed all the masks from the document and played it and it still lags the same as it did with the masks so I dont think the masks are causing the problem.