00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flash->Consoles, who's interested?

1,609 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey everyone! Lars Doucet here, I worked on Defender's Quest.

A while back I posted this: Haxe/OpenFL 101 for flash refugees.

Now I have some news, I've been talking with various "powers that be" and we've got some strong leads on building out official support for Haxe/OpenFL on the major next-gen consoles (in fact we've already started work on at least one console). The upshot to this is it would let Flash developers get their stuff on consoles at native speed with a lot less work than porting to say, Unity. You would have to port your game to Haxe (a very similar language to Actionscript), but you could keep using the Flash API and most of your workflow (including flash vector art).

Of course, we have to finish building this console tech layer first :)

This is where you come in. The "powers that be" are very interested in this project, but before they throw their weight behind it they need a list of devs and games that would benefit from it. So if you are a *serious* developer, with at least one decent game under your belt, and you'd be honestly interested in a console release, please give me your details and a list of your games so I can include it in the big list. Note that this is not an up-front commitment to anything, you won't be legally obliged, etc, it's just a statement of interest.

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-19 10:39:51

I would be interested in seeing this happen!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-20 11:39:39

I would be very interested in this. I have had a good look at haxe and am planning to make the switch vom as3 to haxePunk for my current project.

haxe is really amazing, even just in terms of compatibility, and I hope you guys can do this.

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-20 11:53:31

At 6/20/14 11:39 AM, VOEC wrote: I would be very interested in this. I have had a good look at haxe and am planning to make the switch vom as3 to haxePunk for my current project.

haxe is really amazing, even just in terms of compatibility, and I hope you guys can do this.

Yeah everyone is into this idea, I just don't have an in-progress console worthy game.

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-20 15:05:49

Cool! Glad to see people are interested!

For those who have responded -- please post the name of the developer you represent and/or any games you have in development so I can put them on the list. Big or small, the more the merrier.

As for you Tom -- are you interested on your own behalf, on Newgrounds', on the Behemoths', all of the above? :D

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-20 15:12:01

Sean Hogan here, dev on Anodyne and Even the Ocean - I'm behind this! It's pretty easy to move games from AS3 to HaXe, and HaXe is a great language and already compiles to flash. Definitely recommend it.

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-23 11:57:38

Sign me up. All my info is on my NG page.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-24 09:44:09

At 6/20/14 03:05 PM, LarsiusPrime wrote: As for you Tom -- are you interested on your own behalf, on Newgrounds', on the Behemoths', all of the above? :D

I would say all of the above. Right now our Behemoth tools are based on parsing AS2 to C++, but ultimately I should really graduate to something that is continuing to evolve, and doesn't depend on our own tools to port to console.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-24 11:48:01

At 6/24/14 09:44 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I would say all of the above. Right now our Behemoth tools are based on parsing AS2 to C++, but ultimately I should really graduate to something that is continuing to evolve, and doesn't depend on our own tools to port to console.

Speaking of Haxe and Newgrounds, is there any interest in creating Haxe libraries for the NG API? is there currently a method of using NG's in-game ads in Haxe?

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-24 13:45:48

At 6/24/14 11:48 AM, GeoKureli wrote: Speaking of Haxe and Newgrounds, is there any interest in creating Haxe libraries for the NG API? is there currently a method of using NG's in-game ads in Haxe?

Haxe can use swc files, but I haven't tried it with ng's API swc. DeltaLuca made Caxe which exports to a swc and .hx files (used with nape), but it's confusing as all hell. Even if the swc doesn't work, TiVo's as3 to hx tool plus a couple hours of debugging would be enough to make hx source files.

Response to Flash->Consoles, who's interested? 2014-06-24 17:43:56

At 6/24/14 01:45 PM, MSGhero wrote: TiVo's as3 to hx tool plus a couple hours of debugging would be enough to make hx source files.

https://github.com/TiVo/as3hx
Thanks, this should do nicely, I'll try it out and post the github of the port.