TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 11:31 AM Reply

Today is the 5 year anniversary of the launch of the Art Portal! You might see a lot of thumbnails with I-Bot and a slice of cake - the actual art pieces are remakes of artists' first ever art uploads on NG. Check out their progress! For example, Jazza:

• Orc - Remade
    Orc - Remade by Jazza

My entry to the Art Portal's 5th birthday jam! I hope you enjoy it! It took me 8 hours and I loved making it and challenging ...

Score
    4.833333333 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Today is also the deadline for the Novice Round of the Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation. If everyone gets their submissions done on time, there will be 32 entries total!

We just wrapped up the Construct 2030 Jam, please check out and review as many games as possible! Winners will be announced later this month. These games are in HTML5, developed with Construct 2.

If you're itching to make a game, The Power of Four is happening all summer and into October! Create a team of four and make a game with a theme of four. We accept web games in SWF, HTML5 and Unity format. Here are the teams so far, announce yours in the Po4 thread!

Also Robot Day 2014 is ON and will be July 10th. Make any piece of content (movie, game, art, music) with a robot theme and participate! I still need to figure out what we can do for prizes this year, sorry for the short notice it really snuck up. This will be our 5th Robot Day!

You would be doing a massive solid for Evil-Dog if you backed the Beast's Fury Kickstarter. It has come so far, with just 30 hours to go! Please tweet it to your friends at least.

Come back tomorrow for Throwback Thursday (classics from this week in NG history) and then Friday for Follow Friday; I've already been working on my list of cool people to check out this week.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 11:35 AM Reply

Happy birthday Art portal

FiendMachine
FiendMachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 11:49 AM Reply

Haappy Birthday art portal!! Hope to see some even more badass art now ^^
@Tom,can we use any free music or do we necessarily need a musician in the team for the power of 4? :O

Depressed?Cool.Just put some party music and say GTFO to your sorrows

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 6/18/14 11:49 AM, FiendMachine wrote: Haappy Birthday art portal!! Hope to see some even more badass art now ^^
@Tom,can we use any free music or do we necessarily need a musician in the team for the power of 4? :O

This is something I've pondered a lot but it is a good opportunity for musicians to let them work directly with a team and produce music that is tailored for the game. Voice actors can be unlimited because you might really need a variety of voices for different characters AND voice actors get to work directly with teams. Music, however, can benefit from the consistency of a dedicated musician composing for the themes of the game. If we opened things up to use non-team music, it would pull a ton of opportunities away from the musicians on NG who want to work with people.

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 12:12 PM Reply

At 6/18/14 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the 5 year anniversary of the launch of the Art Portal! You might see alot of thumbnails with I-Bot and a slice of cake - the actual art pieces are remakes of artists' first ever art uploads on NG. Check out their progress! For example, Jazza:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jazza/orc-remade

To anyone interested, the related tag search can be found here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/tag/artportal5

Thanks to TurkeyOnAStick for organizing and to Amaranthus for coming up with the theme.

BBS Signature
LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 12:18 PM Reply

Happy birthday, artportal! I've been looking through several of the submissions already, and so far they have been really good :D!!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 6/18/14 12:12 PM, Luwano wrote: To anyone interested, the related tag search can be found here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/tag/artportal5

Thanks to TurkeyOnAStick for organizing and to Amaranthus for coming up with the theme.

Damn all things I should have said in my original post... I rushed it too much. :P

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 01:03 PM Reply

Although im not really hype for beast's fury. it has definitely kept me intrigued with with the idea of its environmental combat. Happy birthday art portal, you stupid 5 year old c:

power of four is gunna be awesome!

BBS Signature
epicguy122
epicguy122
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 01:22 PM Reply

heres my picture for the power of 4 i did it by my self

Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 01:33 PM Reply

TEAM BLACULA:
PROGRAMMER:
Manly-Chicken
ARTIST:
Bill-Premo
DESIGNER:
Pjorg
MUSICIAN:
4cat

BBS Signature
artistunknown
artistunknown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 02:00 PM Reply

Man, Robot Day being a thing again this year really tempts me to actually finish my submission from last year... I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it done on time though, 'cause I don't know how long it will be ;3. I guess I can start working on it again and see how I feel.

Also, speaking of anniversaries, isn't Newgrounds 20 years old next year? That's a pretty big occasion, anything special planned? ;3

WahyahRanger
WahyahRanger
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 02:16 PM Reply

At 6/18/14 01:33 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: TEAM BLACULA:

Your mascot:

Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 6/18/14 02:00 PM, artistunknown wrote: Also, speaking of anniversaries, isn't Newgrounds 20 years old next year? That's a pretty big occasion, anything special planned? ;3

Been thinking about a 20 year logo that goes in the header for the whole year... Pretty nuts!

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 02:43 PM Reply

Wow, that's awesome. I still remember when the Art Portal was introduced, what a great idea that was.

Also; a lot*

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 02:58 PM Reply

If you're not doing Power of Four, are an artist, and want to be a part of a potentially amazing project over the Summer and beyond:

I'm looking for a 2D pixel artist to help me get my game "Kickstarter Ready," as right now the engine is mostly done but it's time to start making it look pretty.

More information here.

It's the only way out!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 03:50 PM Reply

At 6/18/14 02:43 PM, Conal wrote: Wow, that's awesome. I still remember when the Art Portal was introduced, what a great idea that was.

Also; a lot*

Woah I don't think I normally make that typo. It should just be one word anyway... Fixed.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 03:50 PM Reply

At 6/18/14 02:58 PM, squidly wrote: If you're not doing Power of Four, are an artist, and want to be a part of a potentially amazing project over the Summer and beyond:

I'm looking for a 2D pixel artist to help me get my game "Kickstarter Ready," as right now the engine is mostly done but it's time to start making it look pretty.

More information here.

You should get someone for characters, someone for BGs, a musician and make it Po4!

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 04:21 PM Reply

Happy Birthday Art Portal! Going to be interesting seeing how everybody's evolved during these years.

I'm wondering a bit about what features and upgrades the portal itself has seen during this time btw, would've been cool with some kind of timeline detailing that evolution, all I can think of right now is that recent thumbnail grid revamp, in good time for the occasion!

Hey Robot Day's my birthday. :D

thekiwi
thekiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 05:21 PM Reply

Goddamnit I remember the artportal launching like it was yesterday.

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 06:53 PM Reply

At 6/18/14 03:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: You should get someone for characters, someone for BGs, a musician and make it Po4!

It's not a small game.

It's the only way out!

Bcadren
Bcadren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 07:20 PM Reply

So Robot Day is literally just...Robots?

I'm always assuming there's some catch or more difficult rules than just simple theme, but hmm...

---

Robot comes from the Czech Robota, meaning 'forced labour' or slave and was intended to refer to automated 'slave' labour in factories, as opposed to the generalized 'all mechanical beings' it's come to mean.

Very different than say 'android' which means 'simulated man' or 'man-like being' from the Greek 'andrós'.

A contrast between 'the slave' (Robot) and the replicated man (Android) would be interesting. [I can't say replicated man without thinking about Metropolis.]

Given the short timescale...an artistic platformer about a slave rebelling? ...overdone? IDK.

[Don't everyone do that now that I said it publicly.]

deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 08:21 PM Reply

Happy Birthday Art Portal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
Zakuga
Zakuga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 08:51 PM Reply

Happy Birthday Art portal! You're what has kept me active on NG for years. :3
Without you, no body would know me :P

re

Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 10:53 PM Reply

Hey art portal, you're a cool guy. Have a nice birthday man :)

Whirlguy Whirls your Whirld.

BBS Signature
Potatoman
Potatoman
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 18th, 2014 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 6/18/14 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: If you're itching to make a game, The Power of Four is happening all summer and into October! Create a team of four and make a game with a theme of four. We accept web games in SWF, HTML5 and Unity format. Here are the teams so far, announce yours in the Po4 thread!

I'm still looking for a goddamned programmer!

BBS Signature
zmosh
zmosh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 19th, 2014 @ 12:46 AM Reply

Oh boy more contests and news!

ZMOSH PRODUCTIONS INC
For those who take selfies
Click here

BBS Signature
TripleThreeTwo
TripleThreeTwo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 19th, 2014 @ 12:51 AM Reply

Happy Birthday!

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 19th, 2014 @ 02:55 AM Reply

Happy birthday Art Portal, thanks for 5 years of things I wouldn't see IRL, it's been like a free pass to a gallery or museum.

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
Indeks
Indeks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 19th, 2014 @ 07:13 AM Reply

Happy Birthday art portal

Dzemal Cobic (Indeks)

BBS Signature
thegreatMSG
thegreatMSG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Art Portal 5 Year, Power of 4, NATA Jun. 19th, 2014 @ 09:48 AM Reply

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Art portal!! =D

~yeah~

BBS Signature