Respond to this Topic
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 17:49:10 Reply

At 6/11/14 04:20 PM, ZJ wrote: @Zachary @Gobblemeister @EJR Let's do this.

I'm actually totally down

@TomFulp our official team name is "TomFulp"

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
astranime
astranime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 17:53:33 Reply

oh this looks cool =D

Clatform
Clatform
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 18:00:55 Reply

How 'bout this?

Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event

BBS Signature
Tyler
Tyler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 18:01:36 Reply

At 6/11/14 04:18 PM, TomFulp wrote:

:You may seak sponsorship for your game but try to avoid sponsors with really ugly/lengthy intros and in-gameplay watermarks, they bum people out.

For sure. Nothing makes my heart cry more than a sponsor putting their stupid ass intro video on my work. I wish all sponsors were more cool about this like ng, kong and ag are.

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 19:15:57 Reply

I'm really looking forward to this. I won't be able to participate this year, as I'm being drafted, but I'll still be able to enjoy the submissions :D

Potatoman
Potatoman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 20:16:21 Reply

At 6/11/14 04:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: Anyone have any ideas for a design?

How bout something with the words inside?

BBS Signature
HTJK
HTJK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Melancholy
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 20:17:15 Reply

LOOKING FOR PROGRAMMER OF FOR A 911 FLYING SIM TO SEE IF A PERSON CAN FLY THE DATA! OR IF ONLY A DRONE CAN?

Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 20:22:25 Reply

If anybody needs a writer, shoot me a PM. Wrote for Motorjoust which got second place in the 9th Newgrounds Game Jam.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 20:30:59 Reply

At 6/11/14 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/11/14 05:14 PM, squidly wrote: Hey, wait a minute, what's the fourth person supposed to do anyways? I honestly think you should've just ran three again, fourth is just... writer? Who needs a writer in a four person team ._.
We could do a vote if everyone else wants to just do Power of Three again... I think four brings some interesting dynamics to the groups, in terms of multiple artists, or writers, or level designers, sound effects... Maybe it's reaching too far though, I'll admit three has always been a comfy number for game development.

From what I've seen, four always has that one guy who doesn't do much. It's just... even numbers ._.

Ever heard of Brook's Law? 9 women can't deliver a baby in 1 month. Though it's not as crazy as 3 vs 4 people, it's that the 4th person won't add much. BG Artist? Most artists can handle BG's on their own. However, the exception is musician's and sound designers, though there are a lot of musicians that can do both - not all. That being said, who really needs a bunch of sound design for a three month game anyways?

Anyhow, I still think The Power of Three sounds a little more exciting, and it made more sense. Good things tend to come in threes.

Good.

Bcadren
Bcadren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 20:31:55 Reply

I'll post just to say I'm down if there are people interested in working with me.

Short blurb:
23, B.F.A. Game Design; from George Mason University.

I've almost exclusively worked in Unity in the past and would prefer to use it for this project.
I'm a programmer and 3D artist (3DS Max, Blender, Maya; been working on a Voxel tool of my own; which might be used in this project, if people are interested).

Looking for (ideally for a group of four):
A writer/designer (needs no skills, except design; dedicated level designer in late project time (if a non-procedurally generated game goes a long way)).
Another 3D Artist OR a 2D artist; depending on the direction of the game.
A Composer.

Would talk to all comers; though I've had problems with asset pipe-lining if multiple programmers before (Unity isn't the best at source control).

As for genre. I have a notebook full of ideas; open to 3D and 2.5D platformers, FPS's (including DOOMlikes), Roguelikes, RPG's, will discuss more if people like.

Hit me up anywhere.
Email: Lucien.Fati@gmail.com

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 20:34:19 Reply

At 6/11/14 05:29 PM, J-qb wrote: Breidde writer, 4th could also be a troubleshooter/jack of all trades. I know a lot of peopl have through NG gotten acquainted with various disciplines, but might not be good enough to take a single task all by themselves. They can give feedback/ideas to the other members and help keep overview and communication, since they're not stuck to one perspective.

You try finding me one person outside of Daisuke Amaya who knows music, programming, AND art.

Good.

Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 20:36:42 Reply

Very interesting! I would love to take part as a musician.

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 21:03:34 Reply

looks cool man! I originally tried for the power of 3 but my programmers kept failing me.. kinda put a bummer on the whole thing..

SunOh
SunOh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Writer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 21:09:54 Reply

Next, we're going to have a "power of five" theme, then in the future, there's going to be a "power of 100" theme. This "power of 100" will push people to make a Wonderful 101 style game, and that will ruin everything. Don't do dis, NG staff, don't do dis!

LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 21:11:24 Reply

At 6/11/14 08:16 PM, Potatoman wrote:
At 6/11/14 04:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: Anyone have any ideas for a design?
How bout something with the words inside?

Dear God...this is PERFECT.

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
WolfgangDS
WolfgangDS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 21:15:51 Reply

The Power of Three competition was a stroke of genius and gave us several fantastic games. All in all, though, there is one thing I'm hoping to see in this competition: A sequel to Primary.

LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 21:36:47 Reply

Quick question @TomFulp : is it ok for a person to be on more than 1 team or is that against the rules?

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
astranime
astranime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 22:24:07 Reply

Ok i almost finish the work im doing now so i think that i could join a group =D
Im an artist, work 2d and 3d =D

astranime
astranime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 22:37:26 Reply

At 6/11/14 08:30 PM, squidly wrote:
Ever heard of Brook's Law? 9 women can't deliver a baby in 1 month. Though it's not as crazy as 3 vs 4 people, it's that the 4th person won't add much. BG Artist? Most artists can handle BG's on their own. However, the exception is musician's and sound designers, though there are a lot of musicians that can do both - not all. That being said, who really needs a bunch of sound design for a three month game anyways?

Anyhow, I still think The Power of Three sounds a little more exciting, and it made more sense. Good things tend to come in threes.

Not sure if that analogy applies to this example =P

Cause if you have 2 artist they will make double the art in the same time, unless you have an artist that learned dual wielding.

It's just a different number of people but the result in the end still the same... games =D

BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 23:18:10 Reply

Wow, has it really been 5 years since Power of 3?

Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 23:36:33 Reply

ferrr

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 23:39:28 Reply

This is doable. Game Idea Generator

larrynachos
larrynachos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 23:49:34 Reply

Ah, this'll be the chance to redeem myself after I failed to make my own game for the 2030 jam. I'll try to set up a team!

J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶e̶v̶i̶t̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶N̶G̶A̶U̶C̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶<̶3̶

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 23:52:02 Reply

At 6/11/14 10:37 PM, astranime wrote: Not sure if that analogy applies to this example =P

Cause if you have 2 artist they will make double the art in the same time, unless you have an artist that learned dual wielding.

It's just a different number of people but the result in the end still the same... games =D

Unless both artists come into conflict with eachother, if their art doesn't match up and they keep having to redo things. Same with programmers, sharing code is a chore.

Good.

anthonyloprimo
anthonyloprimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-11 23:59:03 Reply

I doubt I have the time to take part as either an artist, musician or coder, but I figured I'll leave these here. They're links 'cause they're large images. I can't get anything drawn right but I figured over the word "Four", four people would be coming up from them in some cool pose or something, I dunno.

Logo 1, having a bit of an edgy, angular font: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u53kxliadfkx3l8/power_of_four_contest_logo1.png

Logo 2, using Myriad. Had more font weights to play with. Heh heh, weights. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv65lenxqalkfpa/power_of_four_contest_logo2.png

Exedor
Exedor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 54
Blank Slate
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-12 00:06:52 Reply

At 6/11/14 04:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: UPDATE: #1 is now done so all your HTML5 and Unity games are making more $$$ as of today! Be sure to enable rev-sharing under your account page if you haven't.

Whatever this update did, unfortunately, it has stopped things from playing on my computer. Mine loads the page, but never gets the game or movie up. This is all I get: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/11de0bdb728ed4beba9f93fdb40901df and it stays like that. The movie or game part never comes up. I'm thinking that update somehow shut things down for me. Others have the same issue:

At 1 hour ago, artistunknown wrote: Everything works fine for me in both chrome and firefox. I tested it in internet explorer too but I got the same problem as you, so it seems to be a problem with internet explorer.
astranime
astranime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-12 00:29:57 Reply

At 6/11/14 11:52 PM, squidly wrote:
Unless both artists come into conflict with eachother, if their art doesn't match up and they keep having to redo things. Same with programmers, sharing code is a chore.

Yeah =P
I think that anything comes to who are you working with,some people want to do anything or just don't want to work with others

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-12 00:37:21 Reply

At 6/11/14 05:45 PM, Bosa wrote: Regardless of what you decide to do, I want to take part in this as a musician. I did not take part in Power of Three and I'm glad that you have given me another chance.

Dear God, Bosa's in on these here shenanigans! Dear chap, I too must be privy to this madness.

If anyone needs a composer, I humbly submit myself to assist in all things musical or soundeffectish! Experienced game jammer here. :)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
yetanotherjohn
yetanotherjohn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Artist
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-12 01:42:21 Reply

This is just a quick thing I made. The objects inside are mostly from the open clipart library, and probably would be replaced with original art later on.

BBS Signature
Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Power of Four Summer Game Dev Event 2014-06-12 01:50:34 Reply

@Zachary: HA, that's totally what I saw too...

TOM! I have one request for the project system. A mass PM button for all beta testers would be great. I've resorted to using the author comments to communicate with people, but no one knows when that's updated to check it. I could see this being useful for any PoF submissions.

BBS Signature