TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 13:12:26 Reply

TurkeyOnAStick has announced a special Art Portal event to celebrate the five year anniversary of the Art Portal on June 18th! The theme is to redo the very first piece of art you ever uploaded to the Art Portal. Check out his post for more info!

Also I'm excited to say the Super Hot prototype is now playable on NG!

• SUPERHOT prototype
    SUPERHOT prototype by SUPERHOTgame

September 2013 SUPERHOT prototype!

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Super Hot is a slick FPS where time only moves when you do. If you like it, support the Kickstarter!

Today is Follow Friday.

To follow someone, click the pink heart next to their name on the submission credits, or at the top of their user page.

Extellus uploaded his first movie to NG this week, have a look! If you like it, follow him so he knows people want to see more!

• Nites Episode 1
    Nites Episode 1 by Extellus

My first attempt at animation, it is a little bit iffy but i hope to get better at it

Score
    4.08 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Shoodawatta also shared his first movie with NG this week! Check it out!

• Canis: A Hunter's Peril
    Canis: A Hunter's Peril by Shoodawatta

A hunter searches for food in the forest. But is seemingly unaware of the danger ahead...

Score
    4.29 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

BlackSen scored his second front page this week and he was all excited about it on Facebook. It's cool to see responses like that!

• My First Fangirl
    My First Fangirl by BlackSen

Wanna laugh? XD

Score
    4.26 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

He's been uploading stuff since 2008 but only started hitting the front page this year. Here's something of his from last year that should have made FP:

• Girls and Back Rubs
    Girls and Back Rubs by BlackSen

Redux animation of one of Swoozies Vids

Score
    4.37 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Anyone who was on NG in 2003-2004 probably remembers the Killing Spree series by SamGreen. He also revisited it in 2006! Now, eight years later, he brings us episode VII.

• Killing Spree VII
    Killing Spree VII by SamGreen

THE EPIC CONCLUSION OF THE KILLING SPREE SERIES!

Score
    4.11 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

This series now has 11 years of history behind it! SamGreen has released movies on NG every year since 2002 with the exception of 2007. You should be following him by now!

Fans of indie games no doubt know who Edmund McMillen is; the creator of Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac. Did you know he's been posting stuff on NG since 2001? He just released Facist, a game where you can type in your name and see what odd creature represents you.

• Facist!
    Facist! by Bluebaby

Faces of the Future... Today!

Score
    3.32 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

You should DEFINITELY be following Edmund, he should have over 10k fans on NG by now! Check out some of his games from over the years.

• Time Fcuk
    Time Fcuk by Bluebaby

Time is relative.

Score
    4.44 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Spewer
    Spewer by Bluebaby

Spewer is a game about puking.

Score
    4.42 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Meat Boy
    Meat Boy by Bluebaby

Extremely challenging! Best ending ever! Must Play!

Score
    4.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+
  • Aether
    Aether by Bluebaby

A boy and his pet's emo adventure!

Score
    4.44 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • The C word
    The C word by Komix

A game about true love.

Score
    3.74 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Adults Only

This is something that really frustrates me; I know there are tons of people who are lurking on NG and have no real need to create an account. Or they have an account but they haven't made a habit of following people. I want NG to have a club of people with more than 100k fans. Our feed system is really handy and will only be getting better, so it would be great if you signed up / signed in and started clicking the heart on every artist you like! You'd be amazed at how much content you are missing by not doing that!

VoidForce (art), wooood (programming) and LloydeSorrow (music) released a new game this week!

• Land of Enki
    Land of Enki by VoidForce

Jump, slash and bomb through 9 levels filled with secrets.

Score
    3.06 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

That reminds me, if we are doing Power of Three this summer, that has to launch asap. Start talking to people who you would like to organize a team with (most likely artist, programmer, musician). We could start next week with people announcing their teams, then announce a theme for everyone to run with. The deadline will be this fall. Look for a post next week! Remember: Don't hesitate to reach out to people you've never talked to. DanPaladin asked me one day if I'd like to make a game with him and now we have our own little empire.

One of the coolest entries so far in our Construct 2030 Jam is Being-Time, by TD2TL.

• Being-Time
    Being-Time by TD2TL

A short game about time.

Score
    3.38 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

I really like games that do stuff with player replay data, in this case making you avoid copies of yourself while staying in motion long enough to unlock doors.

Another cool 2030 entry comes to us from zzulian.

2030 by zzulian

you set to work as a freelance pilot in a rondomly generated world.

Score
    2.80 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

He previously made Bunker Control in our original Construct 2 Touch Jam. It was a game that was hard to pick up on, but with some really solid concepts!

• Bunker control
    Bunker control by zzulian

The bunker is under attack. Take control of the control and try to survive.

Score
    2.34 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Keeping up with the 2030 Jam coverage, check out this one by Wolod!

• Night Strike Infiltrators
    Night Strike Infiltrators by Wolod

Night Strike Infiltrators is a fast-paced platform shooter - lots of pure arcade action.

Score
    3.09 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

He previously made these games as well:

• One Fine Day
    One Fine Day by Wolod

One Fine Day is a hardcore platformer with some puzzle elements

Score
    4.11 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • Intel Was Wrong
    Intel Was Wrong by Wolod

Explore procedural generated galaxy, fight enemies, collect loot and try to survive.

Score
    3.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

The Construct 2 2030 Jam wraps up on June 15, so expect some great games over the next nine days!

If you end up sitting around outside in the sun this weekend, OcularNebula has a song that goes pretty well with that.

• Sunlit Thunderscapes
    Sunlit Thunderscapes by OcularNebula

something a little more pleasant

Score
    4.18 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

Or if you want something to play at a Mario Kart party, F-777 this might work.

• F-777 - Double Jump
    F-777 - Double Jump by F-777

Chiptune + Glitch Hop + Dance

Score
    4.31 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Chipstep
    Popularity

Speaking of Mario Kart...

• Luigi Death Stare
    Luigi Death Stare by FleetAdmiralTony

He's at it again

Score
    3.37 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

It's been a while since I've liked a meme so much. If you make any Luigi Death Stare fan art you are welcome to upload it to the Art Portal and tag it with "LuigiDeathStare", I could showcase a few next week!

Enjoy your weekend and try to check out and follow some of the above artists!

Also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.

It would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED if you like and comment on our Facebook posts, since that impacts how many people FB shows the post to. We also read all the comments and it helps us know what our FB fans like.

Retweets and reblogs on Twitter and Tumblr are also greatly appreciated!

Finally if you still haven't signed up for NG, try that too so you can say hi and start building a feed!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 13:12:49 Reply

FIRST!

Indeks
Indeks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 13:21:21 Reply

Woah im so excited i cant wait till the 18th

Dzemal Cobic (Indeks)

BBS Signature
deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 13:22:13 Reply

The art portal event sounds AWESOME!

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 13:31:50 Reply

I have finally achieved a place in the news feed, my life is complete!

Seriously though, much appreciated Tom :)

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 13:35:17 Reply

At 6/6/14 01:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: TurkeyOnAStick has announced a special Art Portal event to celebrate the five year anniversary of the Art Portal on June 18th! The theme is to redo the very first piece of art you ever uploaded to the Art Portal. Check out his post for more info!

Then and Now, nice concept I think. People change, we all do. :)

Also I'm excited to say the Super Hot prototype is now playable on NG!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/640596
Super Hot is a slick FPS where time only moves when you do. If you like it, support the Kickstarter!

Remember playing this during my computer classes this semester. Was flashy but fun!

BlackSen scored his second front page this week and he was all excited about it on Facebook. It's cool to see responses like that!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/640377

I found the piece hilarious and fun to watch.

Fans of indie games no doubt know who Edmund McMillen is; the creator of Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac. Did you know he's been posting stuff on NG since 2001? He just released Facist, a game where you can type in your name and see what odd creature represents you.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/640562

Enjoyed the gadget, greatly entertaining.

You should DEFINITELY be following Edmund, he should have over 10k fans on NG by now! Check out some of his games from over the years.

Good stuff, awesome since I just got his The Basement Collection on Steam for half off with a coupon. Worth my $2. XD

This is something that really frustrates me; I know there are tons of people who are lurking on NG and have no real need to create an account. Or they have an account but they haven't made a habit of following people. I want NG to have a club of people with more than 100k fans. Our feed system is really handy and will only be getting better, so it would be great if you signed up / signed in and started clicking the heart on every artist you like! You'd be amazed at how much content you are missing by not doing that!

Has anyone actually hit 100k fans yet? I know Egoraptor has almost 41k fans but have yet to see someone with more fans.

VoidForce (art), wooood (programming) and LloydeSorrow (music) released a new game this week!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/640476

I actually got a review from them asking me to review the game for them. I was not disappointed, fun game.

That reminds me, if we are doing Power of Three this summer, that has to launch asap. Start talking to people who you would like to organize a team with (most likely artist, programmer, musician). We could start next week with people announcing their teams, then announce a theme for everyone to run with. The deadline will be this fall. Look for a post next week! Remember: Don't hesitate to reach out to people you've never talked to. DanPaladin asked me one day if I'd like to make a game with him and now we have our own little empire.

I look forward to seeing what games will come out of The Power of Three this year if it actually happens. Would love to see it happen, just a matter of getting enough people to participate right?

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/577731

Good track, I love it. F-777 never fails to impress.

Speaking of Mario Kart...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/640560
It's been a while since I've liked a meme so much. If you make any Luigi Death Stare fan art you are welcome to upload it to the Art Portal and tag it with "LuigiDeathStare", I could showcase a few next week!

This would be hilarious and awesome. All the featured on the front page being various Luigis glaring at the viewer. <3

Request Reviews // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 13:49:10 Reply

There's some really great stuff here, I've seen much already :'D!

JoshuaHughes
JoshuaHughes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 13:56:53 Reply

At 6/6/14 01:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you end up sitting around outside in the sun this weekend, OcularNebula has a song that goes pretty well with that.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/577625
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/577731

Good to see @OcularNebula back in the game, and F-777 is great as always!

Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature
artistunknown
artistunknown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 14:34:52 Reply

At 6/6/14 01:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: TurkeyOnAStick has announced a special Art Portal event to celebrate the five year anniversary of the Art Portal on June 18th! The theme is to redo the very first piece of art you ever uploaded to the Art Portal. Check out his post for more info!

I'm assuming to take place in this you actually have to be part of the art portal?

This is very true. I used to not favorite anyone because like the casual Newgrounds visitor, I would just check what's on the front page and move on. Now that I'm more involved with the website though, I have started following more people and I'm actually starting to see new stuff pop up in my feed more frequently.

That sounds like something I'd be interested in. I've always wanted to get into game design, but programming isn't my thing, so I could totally do art ;3. I have a programmer friend that I could try to convince to take part in this.

The Construct 2 2030 Jam wraps up on June 15, so expect some great games over the next nine days!

Speaking of me wanting to get into game design, I actually did come up with a concept to go with the Construct2Jam and a fully fleshed out story. RECONmasterFILMS and I have been trying to collab on a game, with him learning how to use Construct2 and me designing the assets. We haven't got a lot of work done, but it's looking like we can pull it off. Just not by the deadline. It will be finished eventually though, 'cause we really want to finis it ;3.

It would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED if you like and comment on our Facebook posts, since that impacts how many people FB shows the post to. We also read all the comments and it helps us know what our FB fans like.

I've had Newgrounds liked on Facebook for the longest time, but I don't think I've seen any posts from it in my feed in forever :/

Retweets and reblogs on Twitter and Tumblr are also greatly appreciated!

I should really start retweeting the cool stuff from the Newgrounds twitter, and I'll tweet some cool stuff I find as well ;3

Finally if you still haven't signed up for NG, try that too so you can say hi and start building a feed!

I wish I could have seen something like this when I started browsing in 2004, then I might have actually signed up and gotten more into the community part of Newgrounds, instead of 4 years later. Of course I was 9 in 2004, so maybe that wouldn't' have been best... ;3

Great post, Tom! ;3

LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 14:37:06 Reply

Wow, lots of exciting stuff! The Art Portal anniversary looks especial fun!

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 15:15:04 Reply

At 6/6/14 02:34 PM, artistunknown wrote:
I'm assuming to take place in this you actually have to be part of the art portal?

You could still participate by uploading your art and then posting a link to it in the relevant thread in the art forum:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1367946

Great post, Tom! ;3

Indeed. Thanks for the shoutout and for reminding me of Edmund McMillen's stuff. It's been a while since I last played Aether. He made so many great games.

BBS Signature
FleetAdmiralTony
FleetAdmiralTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 15:34:49 Reply

thanks for the support of the NG community and Mr Fulp! Ill be sure to make more animations like my Luigi Vid. Much love!

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 17:19:49 Reply

I'm too cool to follow people.

BBS Signature
Bit
Bit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 19:08:14 Reply

Has it really been five years since the Art Portal was introduced? It feels like only yesterday.

Also, I am glad to see that Edmund McMillen is still uploading here. I am a huge fan of Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac.

The Bedn Saga - Support Newgrounds
i made eye contact with a girl once - Gay Porn (Hey... looks like you've clicked this one before...)

BBS Signature
incisor
incisor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 21:30:03 Reply

At 6/6/14 01:49 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote: There's some really great stuff here, I've seen much already :'D!

Thanks for your support

I live in fire and pain. The turmoild of the world is your problem

BBS Signature
JRob
JRob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 21:50:43 Reply

Luigi death stare is fucking retarded. Dumbest fucking meme yet.

4:08 PM - Detective Prince: why does it matter HOW MANY of a thing you've watched
4:09 PM - Nor // [Loli]: Anime is a fucking sport

BBS Signature
SeeInTheDark
SeeInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Melancholy
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 22:18:35 Reply

5 years of the art portal... like, are you sure it hasn't been 2 years
i think i might be an oldfag now

x

BBS Signature
SeeInTheDark
SeeInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Melancholy
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 22:20:09 Reply

Hey can we repost that sample image that Ross (i think) made about what does and does not belong in the art portal? I'd post it but it's on my other HD

x

BBS Signature
SeeInTheDark
SeeInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Melancholy
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-06 22:24:52 Reply

Also your frequent updates are super awesome, Tom!
(super not sorry for triple post)

x

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-07 01:14:07 Reply

Power of 3's deadline makes me happy.

Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-07 06:12:07 Reply

Bluebaby wasn't in my favorites? What's wrong with me?!

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-07 08:08:04 Reply

At 6/6/14 01:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also I'm excited to say the Super Hot prototype is now playable on NG!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/640596

Awesome! Amazing game.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-07 08:14:27 Reply

I wanna join PO3 but I'm nose deep into NATA lol

chris-the-stick2
chris-the-stick2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-07 18:12:22 Reply

good job once again on remind us the classics, mr. top fulp!
i also enjoy seeing this NG art portal contest, and i shall take place.... even tho i dont have a first art piece uploaded...yet.
(we shall see)

as for the luigi death stare, i rarely like mario-memes, but this one was pretty funny.

good work!

i cant wait to see more updates, thanks mr tom!

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-08 06:31:13 Reply

At 6/7/14 06:12 PM, chris-the-stick2 wrote: i also enjoy seeing this NG art portal contest

It's not a contest.

Apart from lacking the funds for it, it'd be really unfair to judge people's improvement if they're pretty new to the art portal. It's just an event/activity.

BBS Signature
X-Gary-Gigax-X
X-Gary-Gigax-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-08 10:24:43 Reply

5 years...? I've been away such a long time it feels more like 2 years old. I really liked the old NG sketchbook tour of '07 and '06. Some funny art in there. The art portal feels too monolithic to be enjoyed.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-08 11:25:03 Reply

Lotsa good stuff as always! Contests! Memes! Events. Definitely going to make some art for that anniversary celebration, though probably not much better than the original... looks like the audio portal hit the ten year mark last year btw, wouldn't been a groovy opportunity for something similar.

AcidX
AcidX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-09 06:42:35 Reply

At 6/6/14 01:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: The theme is to redo the very first piece of art you ever uploaded to the Art Portal.

God damit. I did that last week.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-09 10:16:49 Reply

At 6/7/14 08:14 AM, Whirlguy wrote: I wanna join PO3 but I'm nose deep into NATA lol

Yeah the timing is tough there... :P

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Art Portal 5 Yr, Luigi & FFriday! 2014-06-09 11:19:45 Reply

At 6/9/14 06:42 AM, AcidX wrote:
At 6/6/14 01:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: The theme is to redo the very first piece of art you ever uploaded to the Art Portal.
God damit. I did that last week.

You could just do the second or third one or just do something that celebrates the anniversary generally.

BBS Signature