00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

renatocfrancisco just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help me make DJ Drums!

1,153 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help me make DJ Drums! 2014-05-30 02:23:20

So a friend of mine showed me this stuff a few days ago, and we both think it would be awesome to recreate it and use it during college events in the summer and entertain yet-to-be students. So now this has become our summer project :) Unfortunately my friend is working on his thesis so I have to do all the research by myself, but here's what I came up with.

In a nutshell this would be the same as your average MIDI controller, except that the trigger pads are now actual drums and the assigned sounds are samples from a track. I've tried to keep this concept in mind while brainstorming. The easiest way to go would obviously be to actually use separate E-drum pads, but these things are 50 bucks a piece and we really can't afford that. I've stumbled across this site which explains how to make these pads yourself in a very cheap way and it looks rather good, but I'm pretty sure I'm not as techy as most people here so if anybody knows a better way please tell.
Afterwards my idea was to hook them all up to an Alesis Trigger I/O to send the MIDI data to a pc or laptop. Unfortunately it doesn't allow more than 10 inputs while I'm actually looking for 12 so if anybody knows anything better let me know! I haven't picked a VST to work with yet but I've heard good things about JunXion, but I think that FPC could do the trick as well.

I still have to figure out a way to control the lights of the drums (since they should light up when hit) but this is the rough idea for now. I'd like to hear some thoughts :)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Help me make DJ Drums! 2014-05-30 02:28:50

Forgot to mention that I also have to find a way to use some foot pedals to switch between sound banks.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Help me make DJ Drums! 2014-05-30 12:37:06

There is probably a ton of ways to go about making something similar to what you posted. I'm no expert on this kind of stuff, but I have dabbled a bit with some custom midi controllers.

You could either go the Arduino route, or if you want less coding/straight to midi approach, check out these Livid Brain boards. That coupled with some forced sensitive resistors (or maybe some other type of sensor?) might do the trick.

Response to Help me make DJ Drums! 2014-05-31 01:33:36

Arduino is pretty good for this stuff.

Response to Help me make DJ Drums! 2014-05-31 13:07:40

At 5/30/14 08:19 PM, Cabbster wrote: ...It's a project that is not exactly made for musicians. It's more for developers or programmers.

That's a pretty dumb sentiment. Why can't a musician do all these things? It just takes a bit of research and some trial and error.

Response to Help me make DJ Drums! 2014-06-01 17:19:02

At 5/30/14 12:37 PM, SineRider wrote: There is probably a ton of ways to go about making something similar to what you posted. I'm no expert on this kind of stuff, but I have dabbled a bit with some custom midi controllers.

You could either go the Arduino route, or if you want less coding/straight to midi approach, check out these Livid Brain boards. That coupled with some forced sensitive resistors (or maybe some other type of sensor?) might do the trick.

Wow, I love that Livid Instruments Brain Board, that would definately be the best choice for this! Thanks a lot!

Still wondering how I'm gonna do the light though...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature