00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

recomended music program?

4,902 Views | 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

recomended music program? 2014-05-29 22:22:20

I just got FL studio hoping itll provide me with music and sound effects for my future animations. well, the music was just too difficult to make, and sound effects? that seemed a little difficult too...
and then this guy shows up! (we'll call him Steven) and his all like
Steven: hey, yknow why its called "frooty loops")
Me: no... no.. no!... NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Steven: HEHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "Rides helicopter out of here"
(implying that its only for loops, which makes sense! since all the tutorial they just made that annoying 10-20 second loop over and over again!)
and theres hardly any tutorials there, which frustrates me! its like (heres the alien technology you ordered, enjoy!) and im like oh why thank you Ji- and I just halt there looking at what im supposed to deal with without any help or guidance!
its like locking someone in a room with a program his supposed to learn by him/herself, along with the regretting pain of not being able to learn anything about it! (woah, take it easy Michael Angelo) NO, YOU TAKE IT EASY MORGHAN FREEMAN!......... im sorry ._.

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-29 22:43:56

Interesting read.
So are you an animator or composer?
You probably could be a decent writer.

Anyway, FL is not only for loops.
I got the feeling that you expected making music would be easy once you got FL.

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-29 22:54:26

At 5/29/14 10:43 PM, Phonometrologist wrote: Interesting read.
So are you an animator or composer?
You probably could be a decent writer.

Anyway, FL is not only for loops.
I got the feeling that you expected making music would be easy once you got FL.

more like an animator in study .-. but I got everything settled in just fine, but I wouldn't go that far to call myself an animator just yet.
decent writer? aww thank you >-<
well I didn't exactly expect it to be easy, but ive strolled through nearly every tutorial in youtube! its all just the same, and when I try to make a beat or so, I just cant find the right intstrument! I use a violin, it doesn't sound like I wanted it to! and so on so forth. I just don't know what im doing wrong... I have been trying, really

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-29 23:02:27

At 5/29/14 10:54 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: well I didn't exactly expect it to be easy, but ive strolled through nearly every tutorial in youtube! its all just the same, and when I try to make a beat or so, I just cant find the right intstrument! I use a violin, it doesn't sound like I wanted it to! and so on so forth. I just don't know what im doing wrong... I have been trying, really

You're not going to write great "beats" overnight. I'd say it takes most people years to learn what is good. You might want to be a bit more specific in what questions you might have or what it is exactly you're looking for so people can help you. I don't have FL Studio so I can't offer any advice on the workarounds of it.

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-29 23:10:42

At 5/29/14 11:02 PM, Phonometrologist wrote:
At 5/29/14 10:54 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: well I didn't exactly expect it to be easy, but ive strolled through nearly every tutorial in youtube! its all just the same, and when I try to make a beat or so, I just cant find the right intstrument! I use a violin, it doesn't sound like I wanted it to! and so on so forth. I just don't know what im doing wrong... I have been trying, really
You're not going to write great "beats" overnight. I'd say it takes most people years to learn what is good. You might want to be a bit more specific in what questions you might have or what it is exactly you're looking for so people can help you. I don't have FL Studio so I can't offer any advice on the workarounds of it.

true. but one beat would be a good sign yknow .-.
and all I wanted to know was what are good music programs out there. your a musician, maybe you can tell me what your using. and maybe you noticed its "possible" to make sound effects in it too... how do people make sound effects via programs anyway .-.

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-29 23:31:42

At 5/29/14 11:10 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: true. but one beat would be a good sign yknow .-.
and all I wanted to know was what are good music programs out there. your a musician, maybe you can tell me what your using. and maybe you noticed its "possible" to make sound effects in it too... how do people make sound effects via programs anyway .-.

That question requires a long answer and I've been up too long so my mind is a little mush right now.
I want you to check this out, though:
http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/music-and-audio-resources

I use Logic Pro X, but don't spend the money on that right now. FL is more than capable to accomplish what you're looking to do.

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-29 23:36:24

That question requires a long answer and I've been up too long so my mind is a little mush right now.
I want you to check this out, though:
http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/music-and-audio-resources

I use Logic Pro X, but don't spend the money on that right now. FL is more than capable to accomplish what you're looking to do.

oh okay thanks! sorry if i was keeping ya up. il definitely check it out, and hopefully try to give my program another chance

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 00:19:21

aww... nearly all the tutorials there just lead to the same thing... I think the site is closed since its like from 2005 .-.

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 01:31:53

FL Studio is a perfectly good program. You just need to sit down and learn it.

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 01:48:23

At 5/30/14 01:31 AM, Witch wrote: FL Studio is a perfectly good program. You just need to sit down and learn it.

I just don't know where to find decent tutorials

ive been looking, it just keeps bumping me into things I didn't even ask about.

all the tutorials just show how they make a small beat, but hardly ever how they make an entire track!
and the ones that did, they have plugins that I cant find anywhere

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 02:10:40

At 5/30/14 01:48 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 5/30/14 01:31 AM, Witch wrote: FL Studio is a perfectly good program. You just need to sit down and learn it.
I just don't know where to find decent tutorials

ive been looking, it just keeps bumping me into things I didn't even ask about.

all the tutorials just show how they make a small beat, but hardly ever how they make an entire track!
and the ones that did, they have plugins that I cant find anywhere

Full tracks are generally composed of smaller individual loops/recordings that are strung together in the playlist view.

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 02:27:19

Full tracks are generally composed of smaller individual loops/recordings that are strung together in the playlist view.

hmm... guess that explains it a little... il have to figure how it works mostly by my self tho. not much tutorials that help

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 02:29:50

what about sound effects tho? you think I can do it there too?

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 05:45:16

At 5/29/14 10:22 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:

:...

and theres hardly any tutorials there, which frustrates me! ...

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWer4AnYGY is a pretty encouraging tutorial for example.

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 07:01:28

Don't know what you're talking about! There is a WEALTH of FL Studio tutorials on YouTube! Obviously in those tutorials all they usually show you is how to make an annoying 10 second beat/loop, since making a full track can take hours and they can't show you the whole process in one video.

By the way, Fruity Loops is just an old name for FL Studio. Back then the program was very limited, but it has grown massively in scope since then (which perhaps explains their name change to 'FL Studio'), and now it's one of the most widely-used music programs for composing full tracks. I use FL, and know plenty of professional composers who use it.

Making music is hard at the start and it takes you months to get going and years to start making properly listenable music. Of course, this varies per person, but you can't expect to make something amazing on your first shot. You have to be dedicated and constantly pump out song after song, sharing them with your friends and the community for feedback. Eventually you'll improve.

Anyway good luck!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 07:04:34

FL studio is a good music program.

fuck off

lel

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 08:30:11

At 5/30/14 07:04 AM, Sequenced wrote: FL studio is a good music program.

fuck off

Completely unnecessary.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 11:35:37

If FL Studio proves to be just not for you, I do recommend Ableton Live as another music program to check out. If you purchased an M-Audio keyboard, you can get a copy of Live Lite (a step down from Live Intro metinks), and/or get a copy of Ignite (now I don't know that program at all, but this video gives the impression that it's perhaps one of the most simplified, dumbed-down music softwares around, though I can't say it'll be easy to work with).

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 11:36:53

At 5/30/14 11:35 AM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote:

Ignite (now I don't know that program at all, but this video gives the impression that it's perhaps one of the most simplified, dumbed-down music softwares around, though I can't say it'll be easy to work with).

woops, forgot the video link.

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 19:31:59

At 5/30/14 05:45 AM, ifritgames wrote:
At 5/29/14 10:22 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: ...
and theres hardly any tutorials there, which frustrates me! ...
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHWer4AnYGY is a pretty encouraging tutorial for example.

Doubt that's a tutorial I didn't check, but il make sure to check it out anyways later on. Thanks : )
Just can't do it cause I'm on device and it won't open here for some weird reason

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 19:34:30

At 5/30/14 07:01 AM, Step wrote: Don't know what you're talking about! There is a WEALTH of FL Studio tutorials on YouTube! Obviously in those tutorials all they usually show you is how to make an annoying 10 second beat/loop, since making a full track can take hours and they can't show you the whole process in one video.

By the way, Fruity Loops is just an old name for FL Studio. Back then the program was very limited, but it has grown massively in scope since then (which perhaps explains their name change to 'FL Studio'), and now it's one of the most widely-used music programs for composing full tracks. I use FL, and know plenty of professional composers who use it.

Making music is hard at the start and it takes you months to get going and years to start making properly listenable music. Of course, this varies per person, but you can't expect to make something amazing on your first shot. You have to be dedicated and constantly pump out song after song, sharing them with your friends and the community for feedback. Eventually you'll improve.

Anyway good luck!

Yknow what? Your right. I just need to give it a lot more time. I didn't just get it tho, so don't want you all to see me as some guy who got it, tried it, ditched it yknow? Anyways thanks ^^ hopefully it'll help me with sound effects too

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 19:36:56

At 5/30/14 11:35 AM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: If FL Studio proves to be just not for you, I do recommend Ableton Live as another music program to check out. If you purchased an M-Audio keyboard, you can get a copy of Live Lite (a step down from Live Intro metinks), and/or get a copy of Ignite (now I don't know that program at all, but this video gives the impression that it's perhaps one of the most simplified, dumbed-down music softwares around, though I can't say it'll be easy to work with).

Il consider this after I try the others advice on giving it more time. If il grow a Gandalf beard by then, il give your program a go xD

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-30 19:38:37

Ignite (now I don't know that program at all, but this video gives the impression that it's perhaps one of the most simplified, dumbed-down music softwares around, though I can't say it'll be easy to work with).

woops, forgot the video link.

Il make sure to check the link just for fun and consideration ^^ thanks again!

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-31 17:46:50

Get Reaper, acquire some synths or some amp modelling software and have a gay old time

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-05-31 19:20:59

At 5/31/14 05:46 PM, hoorayjay wrote: Get Reaper, acquire some synths or some amp modelling software and have a gay old time

I'm not gay, your suggestion has been denied xD

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-06-02 02:12:08

Hey don't worry about making that great of music right now, it takes a while to get very good. Also if you're using FL Studio still, don't give up on it. FL is probably the best DAW(music making program) for beginners, it has the most tutorials, and some great things on it.

Only half a year ago, I was in your position, and I didn't know how to make music effectively. Right now, you need to start small, make simple drum beats, then add any sort of melody to it, and progress from there. Also if you don't have any other plugins, I'd probably recommend using FL's own Autogun(It has tons and tons of presets to experiment with), and the GMS(Groove Machine Synthesizer). They used to be my favorites back before I had better equipment.

Also I would recommend searching how to import VSTs(Plugins) into your FL. I'd recommend you get Tone2 "Firebird". It used to be paid but recently became free, it has quite a bit of useful stuff to it.

These first few months will be difficult but keep consulting YouTube and Newgrounds Forums when you need help. Those to places are the only reason I got anywhere near as good as I am now in just under a year. Good luck making music, and don't hesitate to ask this forum any questions you have, we love to help anyone out.

Im getting better, I'll be famous one day.

Response to recomended music program? 2014-06-02 02:31:44

Also YouTube has a bunch of great tutorials for beginners, here is some recommendations,

1. Image Line, it has some good tutorials for beginners and has a wide range of them too, you can find a tutorial for most of the plugins already in FL. The link to their YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtYw-H_L5D09T9uWeNBUvqg
2. Beats4Beets, some of the tutorials may be a little advanced for you, but I'm sure you'll find some good tips and important info from here. Here's the link, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV86U8vTlhbiO_4umBU09Ww
3. Panos Savvidis, Also some things will be a bit advanced for you here, but nonetheless you will learn some important things, also it has some good music to help you get an ear for what you want to make, visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS-jW4RqCG4jQ87qYlw2bXg/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1
4. Savvy Hut, has some nice, in depth tutorials for you to use, I'm personally subscribed to this channel, it's definitely worth a look. Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZHhuUtG6SD7uwRV1CyhFuA
5. ste1438, Just recently found this guy out, from what I see he has some very in depth beginner tutorials, stuff you really should see and learn.
Good luck!

Response to recomended music program? 2014-06-02 02:35:09

Oops here is the link for ste1438 https://www.youtube.com/user/ste1438

Response to recomended music program? 2014-06-02 12:07:53

At 6/2/14 02:12 AM, Mrobeymenow wrote: Hey don't worry about making that great of music right now, it takes a while to get very good. Also if you're using FL Studio still, don't give up on it. FL is probably the best DAW(music making program) for beginners, it has the most tutorials, and some great things on it.

Only half a year ago, I was in your position, and I didn't know how to make music effectively. Right now, you need to start small, make simple drum beats, then add any sort of melody to it, and progress from there. Also if you don't have any other plugins, I'd probably recommend using FL's own Autogun(It has tons and tons of presets to experiment with), and the GMS(Groove Machine Synthesizer). They used to be my favorites back before I had better equipment.

Also I would recommend searching how to import VSTs(Plugins) into your FL. I'd recommend you get Tone2 "Firebird". It used to be paid but recently became free, it has quite a bit of useful stuff to it.

These first few months will be difficult but keep consulting YouTube and Newgrounds Forums when you need help. Those to places are the only reason I got anywhere near as good as I am now in just under a year. Good luck making music, and don't hesitate to ask this forum any questions you have, we love to help anyone out.

Woah thanks! This reply is extra useful with both plugins and makes me want to give the program a dozen falcon punches before I take a break from it xP!
Il definitely check your reply when I need directions on the plugin. And now I feel comfortable to know I can come here for help whenever I need ^^ il try to check YouTube again tho before I come here ranting about things >-<
And by "better equipment" you mean other plugins/add ons?

Anyways, thanks again :D you spilled the oil on this trains engine

BBS Signature

Response to recomended music program? 2014-06-02 12:12:17

At 6/2/14 02:31 AM, Mrobeymenow wrote: Also YouTube has a bunch of great tutorials for beginners, here is some recommendations,

1. Image Line, it has some good tutorials for beginners and has a wide range of them too, you can find a tutorial for most of the plugins already in FL. The link to their YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtYw-H_L5D09T9uWeNBUvqg
2. Beats4Beets, some of the tutorials may be a little advanced for you, but I'm sure you'll find some good tips and important info from here. Here's the link, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV86U8vTlhbiO_4umBU09Ww
3. Panos Savvidis, Also some things will be a bit advanced for you here, but nonetheless you will learn some important things, also it has some good music to help you get an ear for what you want to make, visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS-jW4RqCG4jQ87qYlw2bXg/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1
4. Savvy Hut, has some nice, in depth tutorials for you to use, I'm personally subscribed to this channel, it's definitely worth a look. Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZHhuUtG6SD7uwRV1CyhFuA
5. ste1438, Just recently found this guy out, from what I see he has some very in depth beginner tutorials, stuff you really should see and learn.
Good luck!

Woah thanks a ton man :D il check every single one of them, even if I checked them before! Just to get any details I missed
You seriously helped me out ^^ feels like you found the staircase on learning to make music "for" me xP
Tank you master Shifu

BBS Signature