00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tip for people who don't know AS...

386 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Something I find really dumb with this site, is the fact they don't allow discussion of actionscript in the programming forum, just because it is affiliated with flash. Stupid rule in my opinion, considering actionscript IS a programming language. Anyways, if you wish to learn actionscript, but never programmed in your life before, I recommend that you learn to program from a more basic language. It's called Python, and it is a very beginner friendly language to learn. IT'll help you understand the fundamentals of programming, and it will help you move on to languages such as Java, C++, and hell even Actionscript.

This video will get you started with python, and get you familiar with programming. Once you begin mastering the basics, then it is time to move on to object oriented programming (or OOP). I recommend starting with Java for that, since C++ is much tougher IMO to learn. Basically, you want to do this, so you can build on your fundamental knowledge of programming. You'll be surprised on how much more sense actionscript will make once you try it again after a few months of self discipline.

Good luck!

Response to Tip for people who don't know AS... 2014-05-18 06:32:13

At 5/17/14 10:03 PM, dovahkhiin1994 wrote: Something I find really dumb with this site, is the fact they don't allow discussion of actionscript in the programming forum, just because it is affiliated with flash. Stupid rule in my opinion, considering actionscript IS a programming language. Anyways, if you wish to learn actionscript, but never programmed in your life before, I recommend that you learn to program from a more basic language. It's called Python, and it is a very beginner friendly language to learn. IT'll help you understand the fundamentals of programming, and it will help you move on to languages such as Java, C++, and hell even Actionscript.

It's a legacy thing, back when programming outside the Flash IDE was rare. Python is a fine language choice, but its syntax is in a unique category. I don't think learning ActionScript as a first language is necessarily a bad thing, I find you can reap the rewards much more quickly than other setups.

I recommend starting with Java for that

I disagree in a lot of situations. If you plan to work anywhere, Java tends to be necessary, but from a hobbyists point of view I don't think it's a good second language choice or a good language choice at all for that matter.

since C++ is much tougher IMO to learn. Basically, you want to do this, so you can build on your fundamental knowledge of programming. You'll be surprised on how much more sense actionscript will make once you try it again after a few months of self discipline.

I'm struggling to find a reason for this thread. Are you just saying that Python is a better first choice language than ActionScript? Is it not the case that learning any language first means other languages make more sense?

If self discipline is what you're after, then why not just go for C++ first and learn the woes of pointers, memory allocation and cryptic debugging? After that, plenty of languages seem to make more sense and are much less tasking on the programmer.

At the end of the day, it's down to what somebody wants to create. When people say "I just want to learn to program", there's always an underlying motive and end goal. They might want to: make flash games, general software, mobile applications or websites; become a hacker or a hundred other things.

As a general first language, I completely agree that Python is a great choice. But if somebody wants to make Flash content, then I see no reason to pick Python before ActionScript.