00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ScarletSentinel just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Godzilla Movie talk

2,026 Views | 20 Replies

Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 15:44:22

Saw it earlier today and don't know what to think. The trailer kind of false-advertised to some degree about the movie which was a little disappointment, but yeah whatever. I'd probably give it a 7/10, but might have to re-watch because I was really tired when seeing it and so was my dad.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 15:45:05

At 5/16/14 03:44 PM, TheKlown wrote: I'd probably give it a 7/10, but might have to re-watch because I was really tired when seeing it and so was my dad.

Seeing it with my dad tomorrow. Pretty stoked.

President of the Writers of Newgrounds | Currently Watching: The Office

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 15:47:40

I think hardcore Godzilla fans will love this movie, but people that haven't really gotten into Godzilla will probably not like it as much. I liked Godzilla as a kid, but I kind of grew out of it.

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 15:52:46

Stupid as fuck.

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 16:00:26

I'm going to see it in like 6 hours.

Being a Godzilla fan, I'm looking forward to this but I don't have any unrealistic expectations for it. I know it won't feel like the Toho films, and I don't see it as a proper part of the series. That being said, I'm just glad that Godzilla's getting some attention again and I'm excited to hear that roar in a nice big cinema.

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 16:09:37

they were just playing the original 1954 godzilla at a local theater i'm applying for a job at

after reading up on some japanese WWII history and that the original was seen as some sort of allegory for nuclear fear, it kind of interests me but the giant-monster-movie phase ended for me too quickly

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 16:25:46

At 5/16/14 04:20 PM, SithCorduroy wrote:
At 5/16/14 04:09 PM, Natick wrote: they were just playing the original 1954 godzilla at a local theater i'm applying for a job at

God, I wish I lived near a theater that showed old movies.

There's an Alamo Drafthouse in Kalamazoo, it's way too far to drive there to watch a movie.

i got to see the whole man with no name trilogy there several years ago

too bad the sound was distractingly loud

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 17:00:00

At 5/16/14 04:09 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: . Either do Mothra or don't.

I'm fine with the don't option. Do we really need Mothera?

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 17:05:02

Saw it today.

Feels like a real missed opportunity. The protagonist is the blandest man on the planet and it makes it really hard to give a shit about anything that's happening to him, which is a real issue when Godzilla barely shows up until the final act.

Wrote a review here:
http://letterboxd.com/absurdditties/film/godzilla-2014/

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 17:22:58

At 5/16/14 05:19 PM, RobotInTheRain wrote: It pissed me off that they kept not showing the fights until the end of the movie, I don't care if it cost $100 million more per fight it would have made the movie a lot better. Especially when Godzilla suddenly showed up at the Hawaiian airport and the entire audience at the movie theater cheered and clapped and then the scene just changes to some kid sleeping on a couch.

Yeah. There's a real difference between teasing your audience by not showing the monster for a while, which is the norm in this sort of thing, and showing it early and then snatching it away. Once you've blown your load and shown Godzilla and the MUTO fighting, even if only for a few seconds, that anticipation you've been building is gone.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 17:26:44

At 5/16/14 03:47 PM, TheKlown wrote: I think hardcore Godzilla fans will love this movie, but people that haven't really gotten into Godzilla will probably not like it as much.

This is the exact opposite.

Anyway, promised more than it delivered, cardboard characters, cared more about Gozdilla than humans, too much government shit, etc. Should have delivered more but when it did it was great. 3/5

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 18:48:30

Was it any better than the 1998 version ? I'll never forget being at Universal Studios and seeing the Godzilla ad that had real rain and lighting in a 3D cardboard cutout with GOd.Z's eye in the background

That ad alone made me go see the 98' version

Godzilla Movie talk

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 19:39:22

At 5/16/14 06:48 PM, Swag-in-a-Bag wrote: Was it any better than the 1998 version ? I'll never forget being at Universal Studios and seeing the Godzilla ad that had real rain and lighting in a 3D cardboard cutout with GOd.Z's eye in the background

That ad alone made me go see the 98' version

i really liked that version imo i though it was very good and i wish there was a sequel to it for the way it ended.
i don't see why people hated it.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 21:29:26

Looks hilarious, excited to see it.

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-16 22:56:56

The script was clunky, the military was useless, the characters were bland, and I loved it.

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-17 00:46:38

The only problem with this movie was that the idea of giant monsters made the humans seem so...unintresting.
Nobody could invest in human drama when they're waiting to watch perfectly animated giant monsters fight to the death

Honestly though, I loved this movie. It invests time in building the idea that these monsters could be real from a real persons perspective, but falls short on the actual drama (you don't give a fuck about the people) The final act was a stunning visual masterpiece, that left me not only thankful for the build up, but wanting more.

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-17 11:56:09

I want to see this movie, because my brother was a fan of the 1998 one and I've heard this is much better than it. He's just a huge fan of 90s movies in general, so I hope he'd be interested in this, but we may been pretty busy lately, so we'll see how it goes.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-17 14:51:41

I agree with James Rolfe, and I think I would have had a greater appreciation for the movie when I was younger.

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/05/17/godzilla-2014-thoughts/

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-19 05:14:36

I was alright with making Godzilla the protagonist, even if they laid that on really thick and for unclear reasons...its like, "We discovered it half a century ago, we tried killing it in Bikini Atoll, when that didn't work we formed a company and now a fleet of warships just kinda follow him around I guess."

We'll position special forces on the rooftop to needlessly fire at him...that was a waste of time, so when a couple of Halo drop soldiers sent in to extract the bomb land on scattered rooftops, "We'll have snipers in position."

Wh-...Why? What fucking good is that going to do?

Godzilla looked great, and I feel jipped that we didn't get to see him fight more. All of this buildup for a throw-down, and it cuts away and we have to look at a distant TV footage of shit going down, and it was just....just underwhelming. The fights are so sparse, and it was the whole payoff to distract me from these characters that I don't care about.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-21 01:53:10

Watched the movie tonight with some friends.

SPOILERS

I was pissed that Bryan Cranston didn't make it through much of the movie. I loved his character and thought he was way more interesting than his bland son. Also, I agree that cutting away from the fights was pretty lame, but you can't deny that the final battle was pretty intense, even if I had forgotten how he killed the first monster 30 seconds after it happened. I'm curious if they'll do a sequel within this universe...I was expecting a teaser after the credits, but I didn't get anything. Bummer.

SO....PRETTY MUCH A GOODZILLA MOVIE AMIRITE? LOL!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Godzilla Movie talk 2014-05-21 02:47:06

just saw it today! loved it!

At 5/16/14 07:35 PM, imaTouko-chan wrote: Espicially using his signature "Atomic Breath."
Why wouldn't Godzilla just end the fight quicker if he used his "Atomic breath" earlier during the battle?

seriously! i was waiting for it, and waiting, and FINALLY he used it!

At 5/16/14 09:29 PM, Jester wrote: Looks hilarious, excited to see it.

i chuckled at the deaths. japanese men running around getting swatted like flies, some getting stomped on, jets crashing down in a blaze, one squad of troops got devoured.

you would say they were not supposed to be funny but i laughed!

At 5/19/14 05:14 AM, Phobotech wrote: We'll position special forces on the rooftop to needlessly fire at him...that was a waste of time, so when a couple of Halo drop soldiers sent in to extract the bomb land on scattered rooftops, "We'll have snipers in position."

Wh-...Why? What fucking good is that going to do?

exactly my thoughts. military measures were just not cutting it, though they insisted on doing what they could. insignificant as they were, surely did not stop them from trying.

At 5/21/14 01:53 AM, ZJ wrote: I was pissed that Bryan Cranston didn't make it through much of the movie. I loved his character and thought he was way more interesting than his bland son.

i know! i was actually shocked when he died. he was the man who knew everything that was going on, he discovered the truth, he was right the whole time, and then Walter White up and dies!

i really felt bad when in the beginning he was forced to close the door on his wife and the team. like i would have been better had they not reached the door and you knew they died, but seeing that Cranston had locked it and the team finally reaching the door, the men desperately banging on the door and then saying goodbye to his wife; i was hurt.

SO....PRETTY MUCH A GOODZILLA MOVIE AMIRITE? LOL!

I DON'T EVEN