00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pico Day 2014 Winners

14,327 Views | 38 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 16:31:33

The Pico Day winners are finally ready to be announced! If you aren't familiar with Pico Day, it's an annual event where artists, musicians and game developers celebrate classic characters of Newgrounds. You can view the entries in this collection. Here are the winners!

Top Five Movies ($500, $300, $200, $100, $50)

I had to expand the movies category a bit because there were some strong contenders. Pico Day by CRLproductions left the biggest impression on me and was pure quality. Newgrounds game teaser was really polished and you can see it as a game. Pico's Happy Day was a joy to watch, Pico Day Battle addressed the need a good battle movie each year and Pico's Cat Fight brought the extra bit of wackiness to top it off.

Top Three Games ($500, $300, $200)

All of these games were great. Pico Goes to Hell wasn't finished due to a HD crash, but it still grabbed the prize because of the magical quality it posesses and how it made me feel when I played it. Cathode Raybits is an awesome Cathode Raybots tribute with some great enemy and level design. I'm mad at myself that I'm not better at it, I'm not good at the harder Mega Man games either and this definitely ranks among the harder Mega Man games for me. P-Bot Has No Hope has some great in-humor for NG fans and will definitely test your reflexes.

Top Three Art ($200, $100, $50)

Pegosho took the #1 spot because his was the first time I sent a piece of art from NG right to the printers so I can put it up on my wall. Not sure why I haven't done that more in the past but FedEx did print it way too dark and messed up the aspect ratio so I'll have to figure out how I want to do that in the future. Izzy-A's work really popped off the screen and brought back fond memories of Tankmen: Incursion by Proxicide. Test-Object made a beautiful piece and expanded the Pico Day universe beyond the in-house characters, which has been suggested these past few years but not many people do.

Top Three Music ($200, $100, $50)

Ignite took #1 for just being a purely awesome song. There were a number of great songs, which made judging tough, but Beatbox and Bloodlie won out for having both quality and some great Pico Day themes.

Best Collab

Thank you ForNoReason for organizing this collab! Lots of really talented people came together on this one.

That wraps it up for the Pico Day 2014! Thanks again to Mahjix for his beautiful Pico Day skin. Whirlguy was first to name all the characters and his Mystery Box is already in the mail.

Thank you everyone who participated in Pico Day this year! I feel kinda weird doing it each year when the characters are getting older and older and we're tied up developing some new characters instead of making more stuff with the old ones. It's cool to see Dad from Dad 'n Me keep coming up each year, we still talk about doing something big with those guys one day.

As for Pico... NG Supporters can now play the unfinished Pico 2 build that MindChamber and I started 13 years ago! For real this time. The commentary on that page includes links for some additional unfinished pieces. Hope you like it!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 16:33:58

Congratulations to the winners!

That's not lemonade.

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 16:37:21

At 5/14/14 04:34 PM, Voltage wrote: good work lads! keep up the insanity!

oh and @Tomfulp, seriously - is Pico based on Maniac Mansion or what? GET BACK AT ME BRO!

Not based on Maniac Mansion but I did play a lot of point 'n click adventures as a kid, especially Sierra games like Kings Quest, Police Quest and Space Quest. Maniac Mansion was right up my alley but I never actually played it growing up. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 16:48:24

At 5/14/14 04:46 PM, Manly-Chicken wrote: Sweet!
Third!
Thanks, Tom!

Grats chickenman!

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 16:48:38

Yay, Pico!

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 16:57:14

At 5/14/14 04:40 PM, Voltage wrote: I think I might need to re-logo this picture

But isn't it just ironic?

Hahah woah! Although Pico wasn't the most unique attempt to provide a variety of character types.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 17:28:31

pico is GAY

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 17:29:25

Glad to see the Cat Fight in that list of movies! The CRLproductions animation definitely left a heavy impression, but the latter one provided some refreshingly harmless violence and expressive entertainment.

Woot! Yeah! The Pico Day Collab gets a mention too! :D

Congrats to all the winners! Congrats @Whirlguy!

At 5/14/14 04:31 PM, TomFulp wrote: As for Pico... NG Supporters can now play the unfinished Pico 2 build that MindChamber and I started 13 years ago! For real this time. The commentary on that page includes links for some additional unfinished pieces. Hope you like it!

Awesome... and this mentioned right at the end of the post, as if it wasn't the most note-worthy piece of information there! :D I hope the link'll be popping up on the account page soon, for quick access/reference?

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 17:45:28

<3

Thanks Tom

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 17:52:47

Oh my gawd, Pico 2!!

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 18:03:51

As usually, there was some great stuff this year too :'D
Congratulations to all the winners! XD

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 18:07:18

Yay! Thanks a lot for the 1rst place, Tom. :)

Btw, so the print turned out too dark? Strange, maybe it has to do with my monitor's brightness. If you want, I can email you a brighter version of it and see how it turns out.

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 18:09:33

At 5/14/14 06:07 PM, Pegosho wrote: Yay! Thanks a lot for the 1rst place, Tom. :)

Btw, so the print turned out too dark? Strange, maybe it has to do with my monitor's brightness. If you want, I can email you a brighter version of it and see how it turns out.

I should have changed it to CMYK first but even then I could have raised brightness - I don't think it was anything wrong on your end. If it took it to a more professional print shop I like to think they would get something that better matches what a typical screen looks like.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 18:54:18

RIP in peace TomFulp

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 19:09:47

Awww maaaaan, well, happy for the winners ya'll earned it :P

Sure could've used some prize money so I could hire an artist for the next BIG game, though :(

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 19:57:47

Oh wow, I got first place awesome!
Tom, thank you for appreciating the time I put into making that sonuvabitch.

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 20:54:14

Wow, second! I didnt think I'd wimn anything since there was so many good submissions. Been playing them all during work but now I need to log in and win the medals. Congrats to the winners and everyone who took part! :)

At 5/14/14 07:09 PM, squidly wrote: Sure could've used some prize money so I could hire an artist for the next BIG game, though :(

If ye need some help with art drop us a message and I'll see what I can do. I've got some spare time at the moment that I can help peeps with projects.

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 22:41:21

wow second place, thanks!
hey i can say I've actually made money from animation now.

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 23:11:51

gimme moni

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 23:18:40

Congrats to this year's Pico Day Winners!

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-14 23:54:56

Congrats to the winners, they were well deserved! Maybe next year I'll be up there if my animation is finally done ;3

This Pico Day animation was really good and had some nice animation but it only has like 700 views and I think it definitely deserves more:

And uh... this one doesn't have a lot of views either... ;3

Pico Day was fun though. Hopefully there's some sort of party next year, even if there isn't a big office.

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 00:23:40

Congrats to the winners... just feel a bit down that Johnathan Wrathbourne didn't complete his Pico day submission, or even enter the trailer in the competition.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 01:33:39

Joy! A comfortable second place win!
Thanks & love Tom, NG staff, supporters & members!
Perhaps we can start doing some massive collaborations with other NG creators soon. Itching to get something started! :)

Free albums every month! Use our stuff in your stuff! Contact us if you need music, voice over, or artwork for your submissions! Our Profile and here's Our Song Library

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 02:24:12

Heh, far from surprised that I didn't win. My "Spinning Edition" was made very quickly and for the laughs.
So, congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Winners! You deserved it.

I make half-decent Stickmen animations. My old username was supermario63rox, too. I hate that username.

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 02:38:01

Congrats to the winners!

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 05:30:04

Congrats to the winners!

*claps*

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 12:43:30

I had uploaded an animation for the peak day 2014 and what happened? I erased it and I did also fast on GoAnimate.

and that is for peak day and had no clear. damn Blamed
and I shit on the people who give negative feedback rather than positive feedback.

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 15:09:07

The art and audio was delicious, the movies were hilarious but what really got my attention was the game. The language could use some polishing but the whole 3D-aspect is still very much a novelty in Flash and obviously got a lot of effort gone into it, which I can only applaud. Kudos!

PS: congrats with Battleblock Theater's release on steam, Tom, will definitely pick it up!

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 18:13:59

Congrats to the winners!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day 2014 Winners 2014-05-15 19:24:14

pico day was good!

many good movies, congrats to everyone!