00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirenamak just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Guess Who's Back?!

15,432 Views | 181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-07-26 04:32:52

At 7/26/14 03:25 AM, theclassybutler wrote: My Felicia painting is coming along... I love it, so far. :)

What's up with the pose? What's she doing there? When you're drawing characters alone you should really think about what the pose says about the character. Right now it looks like she's either doing a zombie pose or half assing the Thriller dance. Also the face is oddly done, I know from my own work that drawing a winking face is hard so take my advice on this, use references. A lot of them too, winking for most people requires a lot of the face's muscles so it will change the level of the cheeks as well as brow and mouth. Also I'm assuming since this is a scantily clad woman(type thing) she's being flirty so their mouths usually open in an uneven smile like so Remember this: references are your friend, even if you're not shooting for realism, they will help you to convey emotions in your drawings in a convincing way. Also the way the hair is shaded makes it look like it's a big piece of some sort of nylon as opposed to strands of hair, I'm guessing that's just because it's a wip though and you'll sharpen up the highlights as it nears completion.
Hope that helped in some capacity.

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-07-26 13:54:19

Thanks for your advice. For now, I feel as if I cannot go back and make all the major changes you are suggesting, BUT I will try to apply your critique to future paintings. :)

In any case, I have moved onto the clothing (if you can call it that). Later tonight, before I go any further, I will try and give the pose a proper context. This will be my first time trying it, but I might try and add a spotlight and some curtains. Felicia is kind of a performer, so... Yeah.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-07-30 05:25:30

So... After drawing Felicia (and failing... HARD), I decided to focus on some more game development art. Starting with the HUD and the logo of course. This time, I'm bringing back something that's been in my head since 2010. The story has never really truly been fully fleshed out, nor have I done any REAL character art for it, but I want to do some art for Calamity: Day of the Damned. With the logo, I took a relatively simple approach, inspired by the simplicity of the interface of Under Night In-Birth: Exe: Late, a game that's coming to the US in 2015, with localization by Aksys (I am UBER HYPE for this game!!!)

Regarding simplicity, I didn't want any fancy fonts this time around: I feel like going for something fancy would detract any value the property might have had. I have had numerous chances to make a good logo, and I have failed at every chance, but THIS TIME, I think I nailed it. It's simple, easy to read, and the red lettering still gives a sense of foreboding mystery and danger. I took the simplicity theme and gave the HUD a simple look and feel, too. Nothing fancy, and nothing too underwhelming, either; that's going to be the approach with the interface of this game, and I MIGHT transfer that theme to the character art, too. Nothing too fancy, but just enough to express personality, and give depth to the characters without being overwhelming to draw repeatedly. :3

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-07-30 05:36:50

So... This is the HUD. I'm figuring out what the universal mechanics should be, but I figure in order to prevent infinites, I would have a Gold Guard system, as indicated by the usage of a Guard Gauge. The Super Meter is your standard two-section super meter, but when at 100%, a rage system cam be activated, which will engage block stun (i.e. your opponent gets stunned if they're too close when you activate rage). I'm thinking of a six-button fighter that's very combo-heavy, but will have plenty of measures against combos going on for too long and some kind of infinite protection.

Like I said, Gold Guard will be activated when the Gold Gradient fills up the Guard Gauge. This will happen when the opponent uses a combo that has too many similar moves. If more than two cycles of the same moves are used, the meter will fill up to 100% gold, no matter how much your Guard Gauge has depleted at Red. When using Gold Burst, consuming 100% of Gold Guard, it automatically sends your Guard Gauge back to 100% red. You deplete your Guard Gauge by blocking too much, and can use 50% of one Super Meter segment to activate pushback, which will give you room to breathe if you're forced to block.

Again, the simplicity is inspired by Under Night In-Birth. I like the simple and clean look of its interface, which allows me to focus more on the action and less on my meters. In fact, now that I look at the HUD, I can still see a lot of hints of stylization. I really hope I find a good team to help me work on this. It's a great game idea, in my opinion, and can really be a huge hit with the tournament and casual scene if executed properly. I mean, yeah, I can draw, but I can't animate to save my life... And programming? HA! You might as well hire a monkey to do it!

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-07-30 06:16:24

Whoa a fighting game! I'm really into this.
I love fighting games!

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-07-30 20:59:58

At 7/30/14 06:16 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Whoa a fighting game! I'm really into this.
I love fighting games!

Thanks! :3

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-07-31 04:35:13

Character roster deisgn. I'm going to have the stage view at the top and center and the characters' portraits will go underneath their names.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-03 01:10:18

Heeeeeeere's Bayonetta! Sorry for being away for a few days... Work and all that... Plus, I ordered an HD webcam, and I already have some video editing software, so I am going to be practicing with that... And STARTING A YOUTUBE CHANNEL! Its name is Tony G, but it's supposed to be called "Random Anime Reactions"... Anyway, I think the hardest part of this painting is DEFINITELY going to be the chains, so I'm gonna get those out of the way first.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-03 01:24:24

I made a little oopsie on her outfit... This character's outfit is one of the HARDEST things I have ever drawn.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-03 20:55:32

I guess no one cares enough to leave a comment... And it took me a damn long time to get her gun right, too... T_T

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-09 03:02:36

Me and a friend are working on a game concept together. Right now, I'm writing the story and doing some basic sketches of the characters, and things like that. Here is the main character. She is a mercenary named Claudia, is a GES (Genetically Enhanced Soldier) unit, and is a bit of a serious, but kinda not so, and kinda bit of a smartass.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-09 03:04:41

The title of said game.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-09 03:14:57

Since this will be me and my friend's first game, I want to go with a simple in-game art style for the sprites. It's going to be sort of like a 16-bit SNES game art-style... Actually... SNES is stretching our capabilities a bit... GBA is more like it. This style will also be used for the promotional art, because you know... I want it to be simple and eye-catching, and while the story will be serious for the most part, drawing the same characters over and over this way will be SO MUCH EASIER! Also, since there will be no blood, this is a decent "T rated" style. I will switch up the style between 8 heads and this for different pieces of promotional art. I plan on having 8 heads portraits during visual novel style cut-scenes, and HOPEFULLY after getting a short intro level done, we'll do a Kickstarter for crowd-funding so we can hire people to help with music and voice acting and such.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-09 03:37:43

This is the destination for our characters for the stealth game me and my friend have in mind. It's an OWF (Orbital Weapons Fortress) named USS Goliath. The game takes place in 2055 during a time of high tension between the US and China. The team of agents, or rather since your team will die early on, Claudia herself will enter this behemoth due to complications during entry.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-11 00:57:26

A promotional pic I'm gonna work on.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-11 01:05:23

The OWF USS Goliath's interior level layout. I just came up with the level design on a whim. I honestly don't know if this a good level design for the ship or not. You start at the rear of the ship because your mission is covert, go figure.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-16 03:40:17

Kay... Working on an RPG... Sword of Yggdrasil. Here's the main character. The sword next to her is called the Sword of Yggdrasil. The world's lore is actually pretty interesting.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-24 02:39:06

It would be super swell if someone could leave some comments. You know... Because having a lonely art thread is totally cool. Yep. Sure is. This is TOTALLY not sarcastic.

/sarcasm

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-24 02:46:58

Some expressions for Gabriella, my game's main character.

Now... I shall await those comments.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-24 02:58:35

The game's interface. Sword of Yggdrasil will be made in RPG Maker VX Ace when I actually DO get around to making it. Speaking of which, it would be really cool if one of you guys could offer to animate for me. Boy, that'd be NEAT! And awesome! And I would be eternally grateful. I want to invoke the 16-bit era of RPGs, so, animating wouldn't be too hard, nor would it be cumbersome. The game will run at a 960x540 resolution, which is a little higher than what VX Ace will typically allow. Still, there ARE mods that allow VX Ace to go higher than 640x480.

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-24 03:19:39

You guys... I am seriously starting to question whether or not it's even worth BEING here...

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-24 04:20:06

More character art! This one is a tribal elf named Kushana!

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-24 18:08:53

---------| You're welcome |----------

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-24 19:31:36

At 8/24/14 04:20 AM, theclassybutler wrote: More character art! This one is a tribal elf named Kushana!

Just to inform you.. Most elves have pointed ears so they are 'clarified' as elves , all you have to do is make the top longer and 'slightly' pointed or rounded, whatever.

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-24 22:20:39

At 8/24/14 06:08 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote: Lenghty critique ahead! Proceed with caution!

I know I am supposed to take critique but I honestly don't want to change Gabriella's core design. I simply like it too much to do so. As for her sword, I can see changing that to something shorter and thinner. Her theme is supposed to be a hesitant adventurer. She's not going on the adventure by choice, and not only that, but for theme, I am going for more of a Tales of/Final Fantasy feel, so the characters can have a variety of themes and designs. Her civilised eleven friend will have mage attire, while her tall, strong friend will have a big, hulking frame, and a martial arts theme. I want the story to be LOOSELY based on Norse myth (and by LOOSELY, I mean LOOSELY), and to not create a Nordic world, but my own. I appreciate your critique, I really do, but like I said. I just love my character's design too much. Everything else I wholeheartedly agree with and will make the corrections necessary.

Please understand my stance on the matter, and I look forward to future critique from you.

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-25 02:10:45

At 8/24/14 02:58 AM, theclassybutler wrote: The game's interface.

I think the visual elements in your interface reads well, but there's a lack of unity. The character stats are well handled, but the blackletter font, skill description, and skill icon buttons doesn't seem to belong in the same interface. I'd recommend you try to bring some of the elements from the character stat section into the rest of the GUI.

The icons and skill menu is also quite large, it might work but you might find it takes focus away from the game's graphics

BBS Signature

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-25 20:41:12

At 8/25/14 02:10 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 8/24/14 02:58 AM, theclassybutler wrote: The game's interface.
I think the visual elements in your interface reads well, but there's a lack of unity. The character stats are well handled, but the blackletter font, skill description, and skill icon buttons doesn't seem to belong in the same interface. I'd recommend you try to bring some of the elements from the character stat section into the rest of the GUI.

The icons and skill menu is also quite large, it might work but you might find it takes focus away from the game's graphics

Thank you for your feedback and as soon as I get my computer fixed or a new one, the UI will be one of the things I work on first.

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-08-26 02:22:30

wow these recent ones look really great. I bet if you did the Felicia it would look great.

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-09-22 01:37:28

Just a logo I made... For a potential webcomic... I have so much stuff to draw it's ridiculous... I really need to stop slcaking...

Guess Who's Back?!

Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-09-22 04:25:12

Something I did for a potential Persona game. I really like green as the color scheme.

Guess Who's Back?!