New Topic Respond to this Topic
theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 19th, 2014 @ 01:57 AM Reply

First, I want to post this, because I did this relatively quickly, and it turned out AWESOME! One of my friends loves Kill la Kill, and I would LOVE to this series as a fighting game. I mean, who wouldn't? It's got a perfect roster, story mechanics and the fight scenes were done like they were MADE for a fighting game.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 19th, 2014 @ 01:59 AM Reply

Also, I am working on this. I'm trying to make a smoother shading style, and stuff like that. I'm really trying hard to improve my shading, so I am using a combination of soft and hard shading. The soft shading is to establish the light source, whereas the hard shading, and soon to be more in depth shading will be used to define the outlines of the parts of the body, clothes, etc.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 19th, 2014 @ 09:55 PM Reply

Now I know how it feels when your critique is shrugged off and you're told "you don't know what you're talking about".

ImaFreekozoid
ImaFreekozoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 19th, 2014 @ 10:37 PM Reply

At 7/19/14 01:59 AM, theclassybutler wrote: Also, I am working on this. I'm trying to make a smoother shading style, and stuff like that.

Looks like a good start! Make sure you add some dark darks. Like the cleavage and under the lines will have a hard edge because it will form 'edges' that won't allow light in. You may be waiting until further shading to add darker shadows, but I figured I'd just throw in the reminder that contrast is good!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 20th, 2014 @ 01:30 AM Reply

This is how far I have gotten in this pic so far. I plan on adding a background with the moon behind her, to reinforce the lighting.

Guess Who's Back?!

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 20th, 2014 @ 04:25 AM Reply

At 7/20/14 01:30 AM, theclassybutler wrote: This is how far I have gotten in this pic so far. I plan on adding a background with the moon behind her, to reinforce the lighting.

judging by the lightning on her thighs and chest, the primary light source should be coming somewhere above and in front of her.

Also, light creates hard and soft shadows naturally, it all has to do with the shape and material of the plane light is hitting. That said, I don't see any major problems with the lightning on her body, however her face looks completely flat, have you tried using reference?

BBS Signature
BazookaBonsai
BazookaBonsai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 20th, 2014 @ 05:15 AM Reply

At 7/20/14 01:30 AM, theclassybutler wrote: This is how far I have gotten in this pic so far. I plan on adding a background with the moon behind her, to reinforce the lighting.

Looks nice. Her weapon is a bit flat, but I assume it will change in the progress of this picture.

Adding a background definetly would benefit the picture. Just keep in mind that when you add the moon, you also add a light source. Given your picture is taking place during night, there would also be a completely different atmosphere, with different colors for both shadows and highlights. Some examples : http://fel-x.deviantart.com/art/Night-scene-in-the-moonlight-159409338 http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lWGM6eqj530/UXKOLdDHJjI/AAAAAAAAKmU/rbqW-8goxUk/s1600/starry+night+wallpapers++5.jpg .
I made a small rework on your picture to illustrate what I mean. I applied the light of the moon and the shading caused by it to the character. Given no other lightsources (even disregarding ambient light) she would look kinda like illustrated below.
The nose was also much too short given the facial structure and the nostrills were located right below her nosetip. I remodeled the nose, stylized to fit the cartoony nature of the picture.

I hope that sketch is in some way usefull to you.

Guess Who's Back?!

...I mean "Beep Boop!"

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 20th, 2014 @ 06:10 PM Reply

I appreciate you wanting to help, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep any redrawings of MY work in your dump and send it to me via PM. That would be VERY much appreciated, and it would make me feel a lot more comfortable. Again, it's great, but please keep it in your dump and send it to me via PM. Thank you.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 20th, 2014 @ 06:15 PM Reply

Update. I decided to correct some of the shading on her hair, and I added reflections on her armor.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 20th, 2014 @ 07:20 PM Reply

More updates. Now all that's left is the background. Also, nobody commented on my Kill la Kill HUD. I would really like some feedback on that as well. Thanks.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 20th, 2014 @ 08:29 PM Reply

FINISHED!!! FINALLY!

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 20th, 2014 @ 08:40 PM Reply

I have submitted this piece to the art portal!

• Spear Girl
    Spear Girl by theclassybutler

This was actually an experiment with multiple light sources, and I spent a LOT of time on it. I really hope you enjoy this pi...

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    1 View
    Rated
    Everyone

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 21st, 2014 @ 01:26 AM Reply

At 7/20/14 08:29 PM, theclassybutler wrote: FINISHED!!! FINALLY!

You gotta be careful using too saturated colours, especially when doing night scenes. google some images or go out yourself in the nighttime - is the grass really that green? the trees that vibrant? the sky so deep neon? I understand that you're not going for realism, but you need to know how light behaves if you want to manipulate it and have it be believable.

BBS Signature
theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 21st, 2014 @ 01:42 AM Reply

At 7/21/14 01:26 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 7/20/14 08:29 PM, theclassybutler wrote: FINISHED!!! FINALLY!
You gotta be careful using too saturated colours, especially when doing night scenes. google some images or go out yourself in the nighttime - is the grass really that green? the trees that vibrant? the sky so deep neon? I understand that you're not going for realism, but you need to know how light behaves if you want to manipulate it and have it be believable.

I see... Well, again, this was more of an experiment than anything. I'll keep that in mind next time I do something like this. I simply wanted to experiment with different colored light sources and so on.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 21st, 2014 @ 02:39 AM Reply

At 7/21/14 01:42 AM, theclassybutler wrote: I see... Well, again, this was more of an experiment than anything. I'll keep that in mind next time I do something like this. I simply wanted to experiment with different colored light sources and so on.

If there's supposed to be more than one light source, what's the light source other the moon?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 21st, 2014 @ 02:43 AM Reply

At 7/21/14 02:39 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 7/21/14 01:42 AM, theclassybutler wrote: I see... Well, again, this was more of an experiment than anything. I'll keep that in mind next time I do something like this. I simply wanted to experiment with different colored light sources and so on.
If there's supposed to be more than one light source, what's the light source other the moon?

Though, I didn't make it clear, it could be a light from a flashlight or something. I kinda wanted to put more emphasis on the character.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 21st, 2014 @ 02:45 AM Reply

At 7/21/14 02:43 AM, theclassybutler wrote:
At 7/21/14 02:39 AM, Aigis wrote:
Though, I didn't make it clear, it could be a light from a flashlight or something. I kinda wanted to put more emphasis on the character.

Actually, no... That's not good enough... I'm thinking a paper lantern. The blues from the environment would explain the mix of blues and pinks in the shading, while the lantern would also explain the way the light shines above the character.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 21st, 2014 @ 03:09 AM Reply

THERE'S that light source! Silly bugger, you. ;)

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 21st, 2014 @ 03:56 AM Reply

This may be just a bump, or whatever, but I want to let you guys know that I might do more with the character I just finished drawing. That is all. Good night for now, folks! :)

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 21st, 2014 @ 10:36 PM Reply

So... I'm doing an experiment. Not with light sources or anything like that, but just to see how dumb DeviantART really is. Oh, and Tumblr. I'm drawing Mai Shiranui! Say hello to my next project! And after that, Morrigan from Darkstalkers!

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 22nd, 2014 @ 12:05 AM Reply

I drew Morrigan from Darkstalkers just for good measure, but I think my next digital painting project HAS to be Felicia. I haven't painted her before EVER, so before re-painting my failure of a painting that was Morrigan a couple years ago, I might want to try my hand at Mai Shiranui and Felicia before then. First, is definitely going to be Felicia, cuz she's just so DARN cute! Also, cats are awesome, so there's that. Sorry if my lines come off as too hairy and all that. That's a habit that's going to be real hard to kick.

Also, I want to paint Felicia because it would only require a few layers, since there's nothing in the way of overly-complicated clothing to worry about.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 23rd, 2014 @ 12:22 AM Reply

Well... I don't know how anyone can fail to comment when I have been updating like crazy... But here's a picture of Felicia anyway. It's my next digital painting, simply because her outfit is going to be very easy to paint. I mean, it's practically attached to her skin, so yeah...

Guess Who's Back?!

Inbetween
Inbetween
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 23rd, 2014 @ 09:14 AM Reply

How old are you ?
Your drawings are good but they look a little shaggy.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 23rd, 2014 @ 11:25 AM Reply

At 7/23/14 09:14 AM, Inbetween wrote: How old are you ?

What does that matter, exactly?

Inbetween
Inbetween
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 23rd, 2014 @ 12:22 PM Reply

At 7/23/14 11:25 AM, theclassybutler wrote:

To see where you stand relative to artists of your age.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 24th, 2014 @ 01:29 AM Reply

At 7/23/14 12:22 PM, Inbetween wrote:
At 7/23/14 11:25 AM, theclassybutler wrote:
To see where you stand relative to artists of your age.

Well... I've been drawing on and off for a while. I have been drawing for a total of about 15 or so years, and have studied every now and then on things like anatomy, and so on, and have gradually gotten better and better. I am 23 years old, and have only seen the most amount of improvement over the least 5 or 6 years, and that was due to joining online art communities and lots of studying, most of which I have been doing over the last three years after realizing that some day I would like to pursue art as more than a hobby, and to actually do something with it.

So... In terms of taking it seriously and in terms of drastic improvement, it has been about... 3 years, and that's the amount of serious study I have been doing.

Seriously... My pics from 2009 to now are like night and day in terms of how much I have improved.

Oh, and here are my base colors for Felicia.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 24th, 2014 @ 01:47 AM Reply

I went back and did the shading, and I THINK it might be right. Not quite sure, but this is the shading guide I'm going with for now.

Guess Who's Back?!

Inbetween
Inbetween
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 24th, 2014 @ 07:49 AM Reply

Cool, follow your dreams ^^

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 26th, 2014 @ 12:31 AM Reply

In case you were wondering, yes. My Felicia painting is coming along quite nicely.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! Jul. 26th, 2014 @ 03:25 AM Reply

My Felicia painting is coming along... I love it, so far. :)

Guess Who's Back?!