Be a Supporter!

Guess Who's Back?!

  • 7,484 Views
  • 181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 01:43:12 Reply

Hello, everyone! I am sure you might remember me, even if it is not in the kindest of lights, though, here, I am hoping to rectify all that mess and make up for my mistakes. As such, with this thread, I wish to establish a few rules:

1) Please do not redraw any character I post here. This is for personal reasons, and my own comfort. I know this is going to sound ridiculous, I'm sure, but bear with me. It stems from the fear that someone may try to hijack my project that I am working on. Irrational? Maybe. Would anyone steal my characters of all things? Probably not, but still. If you wish to redraw my character and show me how you would have done it, I would VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT if you send the sketch, which will be kept in your dumping grounds to me via private message. If you would be so kind, that would alleviate a lot of worries from my shoulders, and I humbly thank you in advance. :)

2) Number 1 is really the only rule here. If I may say one thing, however, pose suggestions and references would be greatly appreciated. I just finished a character's final design, the design that is ultimately going to be the main character of Death Angel.

Over the last few months I have been missing, I have done many things, most notably improving my graphic design. And by that, I mean logos, HUD interfaces, things of that nature. I have also improved on my artwork over the last few months. Improvement may be slight, but I definitely notice a change when I design characters. I am going to draw my concept character in different poses as well, but since I am only designing the characters at the moment, many of their starting illustrations will be standing poses. Boring, I know, but I at least have to establish what my characters look like. Plus, it helps me when drawing them in different poses.

My goals for this thread are:

1) Exchange character/enemy design ideas.

2) Exchange ideas for plotlines, set-pieces and locations.

3) Fully flesh out my main character/supporting cast as well as villains and minor characters.

4) Finally start Death Angel after the first few characters have been established, and a setting is fleshed out.

I do not feel as if I need to blather on, so without further ado, and to great nervousness, this thread is now OPEN!

BTW, I created a new account, because I forgot my log in information for my last account. That, or that account has already been deleted.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 01:49:34 Reply

So, I am going to start with my series Logo before I show you my characters to show my graphic design skills. I am going to do several designs of the logo, and this is my most current one.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 02:13:22 Reply

Not the first design of my main character, but definitely the weakest in my opinion. I feel a little... MEH about this one, which is why I scrapped the design.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 02:25:55 Reply

Third design of my main character. I actually have four of these; that's how dedicated to this character I am.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 02:29:53 Reply

The fourth design. By this point, I am starting to like this design, but... I drew something I like more...

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 02:35:58 Reply

This design is my favorite so far. It really demonstrates what I want for my main character:
Slightly crazy
Tough-looking
Cool

Lilica is her name, by the way. Lilica Von Warsen. I cannot believe I forgot to mention that...

Guess Who's Back?!

Rusten
Rusten
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 02:40:46 Reply

Pretty cool designs. I like the one with the metal arm armour.

At 5/13/14 02:13 AM, theclassybutler wrote: Not the first design of my main character, but definitely the weakest in my opinion. I feel a little... MEH about this one, which is why I scrapped the design.

Perhaps the reason why it's lacking in comparison with the other designs is because she doesn't have anything in particular to make her stand out. If you haven't totally scrapped her, maybe some more stuff on her (like bags or satchels) would help.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 02:45:11 Reply

At 5/13/14 02:40 AM, applepie12 wrote: Pretty cool designs. I like the one with the metal arm armour.

At 5/13/14 02:13 AM, theclassybutler wrote: Not the first design of my main character, but definitely the weakest in my opinion. I feel a little... MEH about this one, which is why I scrapped the design.
Perhaps the reason why it's lacking in comparison with the other designs is because she doesn't have anything in particular to make her stand out. If you haven't totally scrapped her, maybe some more stuff on her (like bags or satchels) would help.

You're right, but I don't think she's "main character" material. I might work with her later and maybe turn her into a secondary character, and add some stuff in later designs, as you have suggested. That's a nice idea, too, considering she was the second draft of the character.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 05:40:20 Reply

I think instead of trying to define this character by her outfit you should spend some more time trying to work on her general head and face, which is very bland and generic in all of those designs, sharp teeth notwithstanding. They all lack personality.


Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 07:47:18 Reply

At 5/13/14 01:49 AM, theclassybutler wrote: So, I am going to start with my series Logo before I show you my characters to show my graphic design skills. I am going to do several designs of the logo, and this is my most current one.

Hi welcome back, we all still remember you as your style is very distinctive.
I have some critique for your logo, it doesnt read for me as death angel.
for me it reads death arkel.
I think ts a cool idea how you made the logo out of guns.
But id say its way too complex. it doesnt read from a distance and only when looking closly one can see its is guns


Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Seriousle
Seriousle
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 09:12:21 Reply

At 5/13/14 07:47 AM, Flowers10 wrote:
At 5/13/14 01:49 AM, theclassybutler wrote: So, I am going to start with my series Logo before I show you my characters to show my graphic design skills. I am going to do several designs of the logo, and this is my most current one.
Hi welcome back, we all still remember you as your style is very distinctive.
I have some critique for your logo, it doesnt read for me as death angel.
for me it reads death arkel.
I think ts a cool idea how you made the logo out of guns.
But id say its way too complex. it doesnt read from a distance and only when looking closly one can see its is guns

i do actually agree with this comment, when i look at your logo i also read it as Death Arkle and if you where to scale the image down in size at all the distinction would be even harder to recognise

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 11:09:40 Reply

At 5/13/14 05:40 AM, Aigis wrote: I think instead of trying to define this character by her outfit you should spend some more time trying to work on her general head and face, which is very bland and generic in all of those designs, sharp teeth notwithstanding. They all lack personality.

I'll work on that, too.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 11:19:08 Reply

I'll be back around 9 PM.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 19:15:35 Reply

I'm back earlier than I expected, but tonight I wanna start with re-doing the logo and then I will draw Lilica's expressions using a new technique I found out from another guy on DeviantART. Anyway, I should be posting more art soon in about an hour, hour and a half. Thanks for welcoming me back, by the way. Not a day went by where I didn't think about logging back in again, just to see if the site's changed at all. It's good to experience NG's hospitality. Again, thanks, guys. You're wonderful!

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 19:23:37 Reply

At 5/13/14 07:15 PM, theclassybutler wrote: Thanks for welcoming me back, by the way. Not a day went by where I didn't think about logging back in again, just to see if the site's changed at all. It's good to experience NG's hospitality. Again, thanks, guys. You're wonderful!

Just get on with it, before you go back to your old ways of posting nothing except status updates.


BBS Signature
theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 19:52:23 Reply

A hopefully easier to read version of the logo.

Guess Who's Back?!

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 20:00:26 Reply

At 5/13/14 09:12 AM, Seriousle wrote:
At 5/13/14 07:47 AM, Flowers10 wrote:
At 5/13/14 01:49 AM, theclassybutler wrote: So, I am going to start with my series Logo before I show you my characters to show my graphic design skills. I am going to do several designs of the logo, and this is my most current one.
Hi welcome back, we all still remember you as your style is very distinctive.
I have some critique for your logo, it doesnt read for me as death angel.
for me it reads death arkel.
I think ts a cool idea how you made the logo out of guns.
But id say its way too complex. it doesnt read from a distance and only when looking closly one can see its is guns
i do actually agree with this comment, when i look at your logo i also read it as Death Arkle and if you where to scale the image down in size at all the distinction would be even harder to recognise

So This makes three of us then...
although I thought it said Ankle rather than Arkle,
Any way Yeah the logo doesn't read at all. I know you already acknowledged this as an issue. but I really want to throw my two cents in.
I would get both words on the same line, shrink down the logo and use it as a spacer in the center with the bottom of the skull dipping between the two words.
Get a far more legible font. Pop over to http://www.dafont.com/ and look through their gothic modern section since that seems to be the style you are looking for and get one you like, and can read.

also having a full font will make things a hell of a lot easier

Kern out the lettering a little to help the readability and try and get an even contour or stroke around the lettering to help drag it out of the background.
Also perhaps think of a 3rd core color you can add to the logo design to help give you a couple more areas you can go with the color scheme. Perhaps a gray or just some more white might do the trick. Again, not a must o nthis last one, but still something to think bout.

Guess Who's Back?!


Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 20:02:00 Reply

At 5/13/14 07:52 PM, theclassybutler wrote: A hopefully easier to read version of the logo.

not really
still looks like a "K" in the middle of the angel.
I think you seriously need to reconsider the type face you are using.


Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 20:10:17 Reply

At 5/13/14 08:02 PM, Kinsei wrote:
At 5/13/14 07:52 PM, theclassybutler wrote: A hopefully easier to read version of the logo.
not really
still looks like a "K" in the middle of the angel.
I think you seriously need to reconsider the type face you are using.

Much considered. I will work on a new version later tonight.

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 20:54:43 Reply

EXPRESSIONS!!! The original file was going to have a lot more clarity, but only NOW did Newgrounds decide to say that my file was too big when it had NO PROBLEM handling a 800 KB or more pic. I call BULL on that. Anyway, expressions. I heavily altered her eyes and put a ring in them, and note her lack of sad faces. That's because she doesn't have one.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 21:18:13 Reply

The New Version of the Logo. The black background might screw up the readability a bit, so I apologize in advance for that.

Guess Who's Back?!

Seriousle
Seriousle
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 21:19:39 Reply

At 5/13/14 09:18 PM, theclassybutler wrote: The New Version of the Logo. The black background might screw up the readability a bit, so I apologize in advance for that.

on the brightside. this font actually reads as death angel and no longer Arkel :D

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 21:28:09 Reply

At 5/13/14 09:19 PM, Seriousle wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:18 PM, theclassybutler wrote: The New Version of the Logo. The black background might screw up the readability a bit, so I apologize in advance for that.
on the brightside. this font actually reads as death angel and no longer Arkel :D

YAY! That's what's important, right?

Seriousle
Seriousle
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 22:03:34 Reply

At 5/13/14 09:28 PM, theclassybutler wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:19 PM, Seriousle wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:18 PM, theclassybutler wrote: The New Version of the Logo. The black background might screw up the readability a bit, so I apologize in advance for that.
on the brightside. this font actually reads as death angel and no longer Arkel :D
YAY! That's what's important, right?

its fairly important unless you've considered just calling it Death Arkel :P

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 22:22:35 Reply

At 5/13/14 10:03 PM, Seriousle wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:28 PM, theclassybutler wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:19 PM, Seriousle wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:18 PM, theclassybutler wrote: The New Version of the Logo. The black background might screw up the readability a bit, so I apologize in advance for that.
on the brightside. this font actually reads as death angel and no longer Arkel :D
YAY! That's what's important, right?
its fairly important unless you've considered just calling it Death Arkel :P

That name would make zero sense... And then everybody will be like, "Your comic sucks," and then I'll be all, "but I haven't even started it yet"...

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 22:28:59 Reply

At 5/13/14 10:22 PM, theclassybutler wrote:
At 5/13/14 10:03 PM, Seriousle wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:28 PM, theclassybutler wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:19 PM, Seriousle wrote:
At 5/13/14 09:18 PM, theclassybutler wrote: The New Version of the Logo. The black background might screw up the readability a bit, so I apologize in advance for that.
on the brightside. this font actually reads as death angel and no longer Arkel :D
YAY! That's what's important, right?
its fairly important unless you've considered just calling it Death Arkel :P
That name would make zero sense... And then everybody will be like, "Your comic sucks," and then I'll be all, "but I haven't even started it yet"...

I don't know, Death Arkel might be a fun way to leave your mark on the art world
could even lead to an interesting story line later on.

Anyway the new logo is readable and much better already.


Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 22:33:13 Reply

The New Version of the Logo. The black background might screw up the readability a bit, so I apologize in advance for that.
on the brightside. this font actually reads as death angel and no longer Arkel :D
YAY! That's what's important, right?
its fairly important unless you've considered just calling it Death Arkel :P
That name would make zero sense... And then everybody will be like, "Your comic sucks," and then I'll be all, "but I haven't even started it yet"...
I don't know, Death Arkel might be a fun way to leave your mark on the art world
could even lead to an interesting story line later on.

Anyway the new logo is readable and much better already.

Thank you so much! I'm gonna keep making alterations, and maybe experiment with the fonts, and gradients. I should be able to create a brand new logo by the end of the night. :)

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 23:02:37 Reply

I hope it's legible. I have used this technique before, which I will post after this.

Guess Who's Back?!

theclassybutler
theclassybutler
  • Member since: May. 13, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 23:04:35 Reply

Made a real quick change.

Guess Who's Back?!

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Artist
Response to Guess Who's Back?! 2014-05-13 23:08:43 Reply

At 5/13/14 11:04 PM, theclassybutler wrote: Made a real quick change.

your starting to lose your contrast with the black and white making it hard to read in the middle of the word angel.
If you do it like you did death, then it will be a little more clear/


Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature