00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!)

34,985 Views | 206 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-07-31 08:16:01

I'd like to join.

1.) My Pen name is Exodius7
2.) I prefer writing Novels and Games.
3.) I have thought of over 5 games, but sometimes I don't have time to finish them.
4.) My greatest strengths are getting ideas and thinking about the lore, but my weaknesses are describing the look o the landscape or the actions of characters.

Writer. Programmer. Reviewer. Currently writing: "Humanity." Finished reading: "Incarceron" by Catherine Fisher. You should read it, it's a great book!

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-08-13 13:51:48

Update: The Guild has recently surpassed 50 members and is currently updating the roster. We are still accepting new members and I have hopes that things will keep going well.

Please be sure to direct message me after submitting here if you don't receive a response within 48 Hours of your post.

President of the Writers of Newgrounds | Currently Watching: The Office

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-08-13 22:14:14

At 5/12/14 07:59 PM, Tremax wrote: Hi everybody!

Myself and a few other individuals are interested in starting a Writer's Guild here at Newgrounds. The Writer's Guild would consist of several different divisions: ranging from the novelists to the game writers all the way to the screenwriters. The main purpose will be to put forth an effort to bring a group of people together that all share a common interest in writing and to trade ideas with them, as well as work on improving existing ones. Here at Newgrounds we have so many places for programming advice, but so few places where writers can go to learn the tips that will help them write their bestseller.

We are asking for something very simple within this forum post:
1) Your Pen Name for Newgrounds (This will be what we call you within our workshops and group conversations)
2) Type of Writing Preferred (Novels, Screenplays, Video Games, all, etc.)
3) Past Experience (List all of your past works whether unpublished or published. *Please note if they have been finished)
4) Your greatest strength and weakness.

Someone from WGN will contact you within 48 hours of your post. Again, our main goal is to launch a platform for writers looking to improve on their work. This is not a place for people who cannot take criticism. While it is people criticizing your work please remember that they will only be providing constructive feedback that you may or may not listen to. Because at the end of the day YOU are the writer of your own work. I look forward to personally working with every interested party. :)

Please quote this line in your reply.

Not entirely sure if I did this right but meh.

1. DT or Dimestore
2. Screenplays primarily, though I might decide to do a short story or poetry if I feel so inclined
3. Aside from a couple published poems in high school nothing much
4. My greatest strength is my understanding of characters and group dynamics. My weakness is my lack of faith in myself.

If there are any animators reading please stay tuned as I would love to get my work drawn up and made alive.

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-08-21 16:09:42

1) Alan Marx
2) Short Story / Poem
3) Nothing comes to mind.
4) Greatest Strength - Originality. Greatest Weakness - Barely stays on task.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-08-26 10:10:03

At 8/24/14 01:44 PM, Jonlenn wrote: Ok, so can anyone fill me in on whats going on the guild?

Updates soon, stay tuned. Also, I'm back!

Krash17's mental health secrets:

Drink more water, sleep well, and if you want friends, be a friend.

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-01 14:31:00

To all members:

Please be sure to add me on skype so that you are present for the upcoming guild meeting and you receive all of the guild updates. The meeting is next satuday!

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-06 00:17:44

"Please quote this line in your reply."

1. Beowolf

2. All types (horror fiction and non-fiction, fantasy, comedy, love stories, and erotic romance) i'm very versatile.

3. I am (poetry) published,Hide and seek(poetry),Eternal Darkness(trilogy, unfinished, fiction/horror/fantasy/mature work in progress since 2001), when I feel the need to write(multiple unnamed short stories), and The West Wing(Newest short story and first visual novel on newgrounds).

4. Strength's: Imagination, attention to detail, my love of reading, multi-tasking, my mind. Weaknesses: to be honest i'm not sure what my weaknesses are except for maybe lack of a personal computer (I mainly use my android and work computer for now), English Mechanics (at least I think i'm weak there) and I have a low tolerance from people who are generally mean, idiotic, manipulative, condescending, and all around ass-holes. There's more but lets keep this short.

I would be Happy to share my thoughts, ideas, and experiences with people. I am always open to giving and receiving advice. So mote it be...

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-11 23:25:38

1) Your Pen Name for Newgrounds: LibertyStories
2) Type of Writing Preferred: Novels (Thriller/Horror/Police)
3) Past Experience: The prologue of my recent book. Diary of a Sniper - Prologue
4) Strength: Thriller/Horror/Police/Crime Weakness: Fantasy/Comedy

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-18 09:51:51

Pen Name: Kuro.
Favored Writing: More or less anything, except nonfiction. I despise nonfiction with a passion. I enjoy scripts, Graphic novels, and novels most of all.
Past works: I'm a little ashamed of this.

Finished:
Graff's Battle(Very short story. About 3 pages.

Unfinished:
Evermore (Finished four chapters. forgotten for personal reasons.)
Seeds of Life(Still a prospect. Ive got the file somewhere on my computer, and the prologue is actually on newgrounds somewhere.)

Strengths: I'm a very creative person, I like to think. Ive been exposed to lots of literature at a young age. Several people in my family teach English and Lit at colleges. I'm also an actor, and acting on the stage gives a new perspective.

Weaknesses: I..Have trouble finishing my works. That's probably the biggest weakness, is that i am seriously lacking in motivation. There are probably more unfinished works to be honest, but either i cant even remember them or I only finished one or two chapters. Also, I'm not sure if it matters but unless I'm actually writing or discussing at length, I dont bother with proper punctuation and sometimes grammar. Not sure if that bothers anyone. But i promise that i dont write like i type. Theres a difference.

Also, it might be noted that i am working on a full scale comic book with a few friends of mine. I'm writing for the group. We havent made a lot of progress, but its coming along.

We're all mad here...

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-19 10:50:45

Date M91914
Pen Name: JMBTTT
Favored Writing: Science Fiction/ Light Mystics/ Technical Writing
Past works: Rave Against the Machine along with accompanied with a list poetry and paintings and websites that cohear on a spiritual plain of dreams.
Finished:
It's an On going process I have only published one book in like 4th grade and it was an illustrated poetry book called "Forest Are More the Trees" Rephrased FAM-T, I'd like to say the Whole "Rave Against the Machine" Project X and Illiterate Politicians for President Propaganda is done is was more or less a kick start for noobs who knew nothing and wanted to get there foot in the door it was kind if half arsed, however we did make a few silent connections and possibly showed what we can do when there is a we and not and I.
Unfinished:
The Land of Invisibility and Walking Eagle, it's a huge project of the Near Prophetic Type I need more education before proceeding with the actual destination of those two sets. The Best I have to offer is the eXpect Series My Favorite Destination for that is eXpect"Waves" but currently I and working on a new series called eXpect Love what ever you eXpect can always be substituted we just need a copy write on eXpect.
Strengths: I'm highly open minded I believe all roads lead to different exits you just need a road map if you want to get to Heaven
Weaknesses: I have very little follow through unless it's soft ball in which case I'll hit it right up short stop every time.

-=eXpectWaves=-

XthreetwoloveX

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-21 00:59:47

For anyone on the fence about becoming a member, please check out our first guild anthology here!
It is an amazing collection and any aspiring writer would love to be published! This is a great way to get your name out there and learn how publishing works!

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-21 22:32:50

1) drakke125
2) Type of Writing: Novel/ Light novel
3) Past Experience: N/A. I've started a book after being influenced by T.A. Baron's series called The Lost Years of Merlin, depicting Merlin in his younger years and his growth. This was back around 5th grade I believe. I handwritten 30 pages front and back. Then I started a sequel and then a third (a sheet of ideas). I am currently motivated in writing something else entirely.
4) Your greatest strength and weakness:

My strengths is that when I am motivated I will be brimming with ideas for a good while. My weakness is how long such motivation can last, eventually noticing my own lack of knowledge in writing my own book.

example: lore of myths, history, science of mechanics in story. Background stories needed for characters, consideration of character development, making sure most importantly that there is consistency and a good flow in a book.

Weakness: I also overworry too much and overthink things but i consider it my double edged sword.

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-22 00:33:32

Well, I'm definitely a writer. Been writing things for years, so why not? I'll sign up. I'll be around for as much as I can here!

1) Your Pen Name for Newgrounds (This will be what we call you within our workshops and group conversations)

SilverFox Jams or DarkWriter. You all may refer to me as DW or SFJ. Easy enough to remember, right?

For the time being for totally original fictional writings that are finished, I have poems/lyrics. I have this awesome audio recorder on my laptop, and who knows? I might actually start writing more lyrics to sing with the music I make someday, or read my poetry over music, or some kind of ambience I do (that'd be neat)... I also admit I'd like to build and write a novel at some point too.

3) Past Experience (List all of your past works whether unpublished or published. *Please note if they have been finished)

I have a mass amount of poems, and a lot of them are finished. None of them are published yet, but I have shared some around my dad (who used to write things while he could still see) and a group of younger people who shared their poetry in a public library. (I miss that group! It was so fun. It's a shame that it doesn't exist anymore.)

I can describe things really well, and I'm very good in writing third person perspective. That has to be my greatest strength on story things. When writing my poetry it's usually in first person. Sometimes I express a lot in my poetry, especially when I do freestyle.

My big, big weakness, for novel writing material I believe is not having enough original ideas to start one. Another big weakness I have is staying motivated on any original characters I come up with... In addition to that one, it's keeping interest in it. I have a few original characters I write with friends online, for role-play writing. There's just the one I've been constantly sticking with. The others I either forget or just lose interest on. *sigh*

And to answer The-Great-One's question, I have way too many on my pleasure reading list! Now there isone more book on it, and it's by a favorite spooky writer, Whitley Strieber. It is titled "Hybrids".

The last actual novel I finished reading the whole way through was this really dark yet really good book by Orson Scott Card called "Ender's Game". I'm keeping a look out for the next book in that series! I saw the movie first and liked it very much, so I was curious and found a copy of the book at my bookshop, so I now have it on my bookshelf, to read again sometime.

I've yet to pick up and read "The Book of Night With Moon" by Diane Duane--I hope I spelled her name right. There's also favorites want to reread from the beginning again.

...Yeah, I read mostly sci-fi/fantasy, but there are a few exceptions. I like Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series a lot (I honestly like the books more than the TV show), I have those Monk TV tie-in novels, and there's this one non-fiction book about the grunge band I've been a fan of called Nirvana I'll have to re-read from the beginning, since it's been a while since I first read it.

Yeah, I've joined the WNG crew now. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-23 18:04:55

Myself and a few other individuals are interested in starting a Writer's Guild here at Newgrounds. The Writer's Guild would consist of several different divisions: ranging from the novelists to the game writers all the way to the screenwriters. The main purpose will be to put forth an effort to bring a group of people together that all share a common interest in writing and to trade ideas with them, as well as work on improving existing ones. Here at Newgrounds we have so many places for programming advice, but so few places where writers can go to learn the tips that will help them write their bestseller.

Solo here

I haven't a preference with respect to writing. In fact, I haven't even read much.
Still, I have written several poems, the first chapter to a novel, various segments of innovative creations, and with hold numerous great concepts.
My greatest strength is experience; as is my my weakness

Beauty to Adorn, Wisdom to Contrive, Strength to support 7/4.6

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-26 19:50:17

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1375429

Well, as you can see, a new and better guild has emerged from the depths of conception to make you choke upon your designations. (GAG)
All great author's should come to help me write the new testament

Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!)

BBS Signature

Doesn't really make sense. Are Guild members not supposed to be highly skilled individuals, and this is Newgrounds Haven for amateurs(No offense Tom.). What a joke. I'll see what you guys come up with, Goodluck!

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-28 07:26:59

At 9/28/14 04:58 AM, thomasconlin wrote: Doesn't really make sense. Are Guild members not supposed to be highly skilled individuals, and this is Newgrounds Haven for amateurs(No offense Tom.). What a joke. I'll see what you guys come up with, Goodluck!

You have to start somewhere.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-09-28 18:35:28

At 9/28/14 04:58 AM, thomasconlin wrote: Doesn't really make sense. Are Guild members not supposed to be highly skilled individuals, and this is Newgrounds Haven for amateurs(No offense Tom.). What a joke. I'll see what you guys come up with, Goodluck!

Some of the writers in this guild are highly skilled individuals; others have the potential to be and wish to be extraordinary writers. As Yoshi stated you have to start somewhere. This guild can be an amazing stepping stone for those interested in furthering their knowledge of writing. In fact, I can give you a helpful writing tip right now!

Next time you decide to use parentheses - simply put the period at the end of the sentence. There is no grammatical need for extra punctuation.

For example:
"This is Newgrounds' Haven for amateurs. (No offense Tom)"
That is the proper punctuation for a sentence with following parentheses.
One less amateur. Thanks for your insight on our guild though!

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-01 01:54:38

For example:

What if the following sentence is offensive to an indefinite?

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-01 02:07:08

At 10/1/14 01:54 AM, uhnomal3 wrote:
For example:

This is Newgrounds' Haven for amateurs. (No offense) WNG sucks!

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-01 02:49:24

This is Newgrounds' Haven for amateurs. (No offense) WNG sucks!
This is Newgrounds' Haven for amateurs. ( No offence) You suck!
This is Newgrounds' Haven for amateurs. ( No offence) Guess who's A pecker

BBS Signature

Can someone message a mod to ban uhnomal3?

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-01 21:40:03

douche

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-10 15:13:13

Someone from WGN will contact you within 48 hours of your post. Again, our main goal is to launch a platform for writers looking to improve on their work. This is not a place for people who cannot take criticism. While it is people criticizing your work please remember that they will only be providing constructive feedback that you may or may not listen to. Because at the end of the day YOU are the writer of your own work. I look forward to personally working with every interested party. :)

1)G4briel
2)Video Games, scientific fiction, critics with religious content, poems, brazilian culture, etc.
3)Few articles for UEG (a brazilian college) and some collabs with my doctorate history teacher
4)Stenght: Critical perspectives of 3rd world countries (i live at one), capacity of viewing histories on almost everything;
Weakness: Almost never reveal my sources of search, i think the writer's word is his only insurance

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-16 19:43:49

At 5/12/14 07:59 PM, Tremax wrote:

1) I go by Night
2) I work with short stories and I'm trying to get into game writing.
3) I have two short stories currently on my tumblr page and in the forums.
4) my strengths are my large vocabulary and my love of writing. My biggest weakness is my writers block that can last months on end.

Insanity is an art, many have practiced it. I have perfected it. Tumblr

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-24 12:06:00

I've only hesitated to join because I can't decide on a pen name. Oh, heck with it:

1) Krichotomy
2) Novels preferred, but I'm still stretching my wings out and don't know in which direction I'll fly.
3) I have not finished any of the stories I am writing, but I do turn out a poem from time to time.
4) My strength is being critical and coming up with new ideas, my weakness is connecting those new ideas and filling out a complete plot.

"Please quote this line in your reply."

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-25 09:25:40

Hi WNG! How are you guys and gals? Come up with any interesting writings lately?

I managed to write a new poem. I have lyrics for a fun, happy sounding song project I'm going to put a lot of focus into in the near future. :D I will be singing once I get the actual music stuff figured out.

As for writing something of a spooky poem, I'll think about that and give it a try sometime soon, hopefully before Halloween!

Yeah, I've joined the WNG crew now. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-27 13:37:18

^ Or was I supposed to quote it like that, so that Tremax is notified that there is a new post?

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-28 19:07:49

At 10/27/14 01:37 PM, Krichotomy wrote:
^ Or was I supposed to quote it like that, so that Tremax is notified that there is a new post?

Thank you! I didn't see the post until you quoted the line.

BBS Signature

Response to Writer's Guild of Newgrounds (New!) 2014-10-29 16:27:59

1. Leddus

2. Anything really.

3. Seven finished episodes of a series named Onicary. I'm not sure how the rules of posting work is here so i'm not going to for now.

4. Greatest strength is plot development. Greatest weakness is getting those first few words down in the best way I can.