00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Daniel Harris stealing NG music.

16,537 Views | 185 Replies

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 06:05:13

At 4/28/14 02:49 PM, johndan20 wrote: Hi, i admit to my wrong doing and do make my own music how ever not sure what i was thinking, i have just got back from vacation and have been thinking and to abide with every one i have decided to be the bigger man, yes i know i wasn't at first but now i understand what i did wrong and i will have all stolen music taken down withing 60 days (2 months) i apologize to you and to anyone else, and i hope i can restart my musical portfolio in peace.

PS i know some of you are questioning my new EP, and i 100 percent assure you that its genuine and mine, u don't need to see how ever when it does come out if u listen your see that its mine, i wrongfully stole those tracks some time ago, and that was because i didn't know about copy right and now that i do take music seriously and have spent the last academic year studying the music business i feel ashamed of myself and will be giving everyone their rightful copyright back, once again i apologize.

Regards
Daniel Harris

Alright Dan, let's set the record straight. As a musician and a solicitor, well-versed in English and Welsh law, I think I ought to be frank about what I and others are feeling here.

This is hard work coming from people who decided to make at least some of their tracks open source, so that game developers can have access to them. There is a licence attached to these tracks. Not only did you disrespect others' hard work; you also broke the licence, which could mean any one of us could sue you and win. It'd be one thing to remix and credit the original owners, but it's completely another thing to make money out of a Creative Commons-licenced song.

So you've not only hurt those of us who have worked hard to make the tracks. You've also hurt your fans and supporters because of this. I mean, it's going to be out in the open and dog your music career!

Even if you did apologise, which I should certainly hope is sincere, think of the ramifications of what you did here. What about all the revenue you made from selling those albums and EPs as yours? That Soundcloud Pro account you got? What about all the trouble you caused on YouTube, passing off some of our friends' original tracks as YOURS and preventing them from uploading it in the first place?

I must be honest here: all the best with your new EP, but the fact still remains that it's going to be tainted with theft and plagiarism. What's more, you yourself will be associated with theft and plagiarism, and won't be taken seriously because of this. Copyright is a strange thing, but it's not one to be taken lightly.

Also: 60 days is way too long to take down a track. You ought to have them taken down by the end of this week, which is Saturday. NOT SUNDAY. Saturday, tops.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 06:24:01

At 4/29/14 06:05 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
Also: 60 days is way too long to take down a track. You ought to have them taken down by the end of this week, which is Saturday. NOT SUNDAY. Saturday, tops.

I agree with u and if U don't take them down by the end of this week we will sue u!!

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 07:49:51

i have no say in how long they can be taken down all i can do is request them to be taken down which i have done and they told me that is can take up to 60 days for all the stores to take them down. they may take it down earlier, how ever its not under my control.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 10:52:14

i am not bluffing i use a service called routenote their not the best but they gety the job done. their just slow.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 11:08:14

I reccomend that Envy or anyone else that can prove that Daniel Harris stole your music, send a message to RouteNote proving that it's your song (newground link should be enough). Usually they will ban him from using the service at least.
If RouteNote really said that it would take 60 days, then he probably didn't say that the reason for why he wanted it down was because he stole it. If he had said that his account would have been deleted, he would have been banned from using the service and thus the songs would have been deleted instantly.

I really hate people who steal others original hard work. I honestly have doubts about your new EP as well. If you really could make good music, then you wouldn't haven't bothered stealing music from others.
Sorry, but that's the price you gotta pay for plagarism. I personally will always think that everything you make from now on, is stoled, sry :P.

Send a new RouteNote and say that you stole the music from others who already had a liscence on it, or else the original owners has all rights for sueing you, and they will win the case easily.

Just a random idiot

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 11:13:41

At 4/29/14 05:56 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 4/28/14 03:36 PM, BlueOceans wrote: The owner of newgrounds said there is nothing he can do if this person is not resubmitting the song he steals to newgrounds.
What, have you PM'ed Tom Fulp directly?

Yes

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 12:06:05

At 4/29/14 07:49 AM, johndan20 wrote: i have no say in how long they can be taken down all i can do is request them to be taken down which i have done and they told me that is can take up to 60 days for all the stores to take them down. they may take it down earlier, how ever its not under my control.

Tell them you stole peoples music to sell as your own, and they'll hurry their asses up. Not only is your ass on the line for a legal battle, theirs is too if they keep stolen work up on whatever outlet they have it on.

On a personal note...
Good thing you didn't steal anything from me. Cause I would've run your ass into the ground. I don't even care about the money... I just loathe people that steal the hard work of others.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 12:27:39

That's really a shameless act, Daniel :| No further comments!

I think Envy simply needs to show this thread to the uploading sites as "confession of plagiarism", then show the "links" of his music and they should delete everything related to the up-loader.

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 12:38:07

There is no leeway with this johndan20.

You have to realise the gravity of this matter. You have to understand any profit you have made from these tracks is not rightfully yours and illegal, and any profit you make, financial or otherwise over the 60 day period is still law breaking. For both you and Routenote, as they are gaining profit from stolen content. You need to tell the administrators via email why it has to be now, and not in 60 days. No matter how damaging it is for the future within any website. Consider it one price to pay for thieving.

If you do not tell Routenote you have stolen content, then you are breaking routenotes terms of agreement.

http://routenote.com/termsandconditions

Copyright Infringement
If any of the material contained in or displayed by the website appears to be in violation of copyright owned by you or the party that you represent please inform Routenote of such apparent infringement at the earliest possible opportunity using the information in the “contact us” section of this website.

Also, anyone who feels the need to inform routenote of their stolen track(s), then you are legally entitled to.

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 15:08:39

all of you are just being plain Mean Now, i Was yound and stupid, i am 19 years old and have done everything you have asked if you want to carry on being mean to me, go ahead all of you sue me, get me banned from routenote. but just think i made barely anything from these tracks yes i get its illegal and i wish i could turn back time, and change the course of events but if u want to ruin my life a young 19 year old then go ahead, as of now all i know that routenote are taking them down and can happen either tomorrow or in 30 days time!

your all great musicians and your all older than me, please don't let a silly mistake ruin my life as i do work hard and i want to make this my profession i've nearly finished college and soon want to go to uni, don't ruin this for me, i cant change what i have done and i cant pay back any money as i made barely anything, all i can do is say sorry and promise that i will work hard and never steal again. but from now on what ever happens, is down to you.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 15:51:53

I think we can all agree that he understands the gravity of the situation. The whole thing has been exposed and no doubt people will be keeping a close eye on any of his future endevours.
But unlike Newgrounds, he can't remove the files himself, that part is out of his control.
So as a suggestion, if everyone involved keeps the relevant pages bookmarked, and if the files don't start to come down within 30 days, then the law suits can come out again, but I don't think it needs to come to that.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 17:54:04

1 - Takes quite a lot of courage to get in front of an angry mob and admit your mistake, don't keep bashing him. If you can help with legal advice or with speeding up the process of getting things sorted out, do that.
2 - @Daniel Harris: If you want to be taken serious, keep an eye on your grammar and spelling.
3 - @Daniel Harris: usually in process like this, some people might ask for compensation. It's a good thing that you made the first step to admit your mistake, but please don't pose as an angry, poor misunderstood victim.

In many countries if you're over 18 you are considered an adult and face court process.
I'm glad if things get sorted out here and you might learn something out of this.
Learn grammar, eventually learn music too and learn a bit of the rules around. Stay out of trouble.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-29 23:29:13

At 4/29/14 03:02 PM, Conal wrote:
At 4/24/14 11:42 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: The whole point of the audio portal is to provide copyright free downloadable music.
Erm, NG music is copyrighted. I thought you would know that.

Conal, you completely missed my amending post here. tl;dr huh?

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 04:32:52

At 4/29/14 03:08 PM, johndan20 wrote: all of you are just being plain Mean Now, i Was yound and stupid, i am 19 years old and have done everything you have asked if you want to carry on being mean to me, go ahead all of you sue me, get me banned from routenote. but just think i made barely anything from these tracks yes i get its illegal and i wish i could turn back time, and change the course of events but if u want to ruin my life a young 19 year old then go ahead, as of now all i know that routenote are taking them down and can happen either tomorrow or in 30 days time!

I started making my own music at age 13. Even if we were too young to understand copyright law, the fact still remained that we would learn after one or two knocks from YouTube or some other site. I'm surprised no one's even taken any action against you when you were younger. We're not the ones who thought it's a wonderful idea to ruin countless others' livelihoods and reputation by stealing music, and by preventing the original posters from uploading their stuff on YouTube. You are. And for the very fact that you prevented others from using their stuff on YouTube, you ruined their reputation by making them look like thieves, having copyright strikes or warnings on their OWN work!

Routenote, when informed about such theft, would do it immediately. 60 days is no excuse. If you realise you're breaking the law, you stop what you're doing immediately. I'm not saying this to be mean: in law, there is a maxim called ignorance of the law is no defence. Yep, the lawmakers have said it, not me.

your all great musicians and your all older than me, please don't let a silly mistake ruin my life as i do work hard and i want to make this my profession i've nearly finished college and soon want to go to uni, don't ruin this for me, i cant change what i have done and i cant pay back any money as i made barely anything, all i can do is say sorry and promise that i will work hard and never steal again. but from now on what ever happens, is down to you.

I do wish you well in your music career.

But you've got to understand how hurt people are feeling with your idiocy. If you want people to trust in your music, you've got to understand this is not going to happen immediately. It's going to take a substantial amount of time and effort for you to start over, and make quality original music and remixes, crediting the originals, and redeem yourself. Show us your works in progress, your project files, etc., and that might just turn heads.

I, for one, will listen to your original, newer stuff when you post it, and I'll do my best to give you unbiased reviews when you put stuff up. In doing so I will also not mention what's happened before.

Ultimately, it's down to you to change your life around. Not us. Don't forget that we have been severely wronged, and it's going to take quite a while for all of us to be healed from the damage done.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 04:38:25

Pardon my double-posting here, but the other points to consider are:

- did he start realising that what he did was wrong when we told him? Was he only sorry when he was caught?

- was he ever told of this before, did he ever realise this before? Did he apologise then only to continue, or did he feel genuine remorse? If he felt genuine remorse, why would he not take those tracks down there and then?

- why is he insisting on 60 days and not immediate effect to take those stolen tracks down?

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 04:59:27

To your 'young and stupid' ignorance you're feigning - amazon says one of your albums was released 10th march 2014 - thats only a month ago.
If I were you I'd probably go under a different name now - as I wouldn't dare support you or anything you ever do because of this theft - and I encourage everyone else to do the same regardless of if its yours or not.
All the artists who have been stolen from should be demanding a financial report from routenote of how the songs you uploaded did and if they don't get the relevant compensation from you should sue for more (on which they have perfect grounds to do)

You're a disgrace to every artist thats ever lived and I hope you understand and pay for what you've done.

(Have to say well done for owning up at least and making this alot easier than it could have been)

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 05:23:49

I, for one, will listen to your original, newer stuff when you post it, and I'll do my best to give you unbiased reviews when you put stuff up. In doing so I will also not mention what's happened before.

Ultimately, it's down to you to change your life around. Not us. Don't forget that we have been severely wronged, and it's going to take quite a while for all of us to be healed from the damage done.

Thank you, i will work hard and i will Start uploading here as well as soundcloud as frequent as possible.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 07:21:44

At 4/30/14 05:23 AM, johndan20 wrote:

Thank you, i will work hard and i will Start uploading here as well as soundcloud as frequent as possible.

Don't forget also that you will still need to face up to the stuff you've posted on various sites. We're all gonna ask financial reports about the stuff... it's the right thing to do.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 07:54:29

At 4/29/14 05:54 PM, sorohanro wrote: 1 - Takes quite a lot of courage to get in front of an angry mob and admit your mistake, don't keep bashing him. If you can help with legal advice or with speeding up the process of getting things sorted out, do that.

sending a law suit will make this proces a lot faster because the sites will take it down as fast as they can then, luckely he didn't stole any of my music because I would sue him and I will win then

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 08:00:50

At 4/30/14 05:23 AM, johndan20 wrote: Thank you, i will work hard and i will Start uploading here as well as soundcloud as frequent as possible.

I'm getting fairly furious at this guy!!!!

The majority of us now don't give a shit about that. Get to the important information. You have a right to tell the people you stole from what you are doing to rectify the situation right now. All you have said so far is that they are coming down in 60 days. Imo, it's not acceptable. The tracks are still on itunes and amazon, etc, still making you money. You need to get them off now! Sorry, I dont give a flying crap if you think I'm being mean or if you are younger than me, I knew it was wrong not to steal when I was 4!

These guys are really helpful on here, they give lots of advice when people need it and then spend ages creating sound banks for people to use freely, then they give back even more so to this community by working hard to make music, music which is free to download and enjoy at the cost of nothing. That's right. Nothing. It's completely and utterly selfless of them to let us hear and keep such talent offline. You've abused ALL of this, and really didn't give a shit about anyone's hard work or the fact they were trying to make a career out of it too - people have been flagged because YOU claim ownership of THEIR OWN song! And all this remorse...Aeromusic is right. You uploaded this a month ago! You're only apologetic because you have been caught!

I couldn't sleep at night knowing I was making a financial gain from another persons hard work and putting a strain on their careers for doing so - you've treated these artists like shit, completely negligent that all the people you stole from are worth anything! And you then have the fucking audacity to say, that you're going to work hard and have your tracks here for all us to hear?! Am I actually reading this?! I seriously can't believe how passive and self-effacing you are about this! Get a f**king move on and get this f**King sorted!

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 08:28:41

I feel like everyone has already raged my share, but I just can't take this =_=.
You steal music from hard-working artists, get caught, apologize and then you try to protect yourself?
Are you really going to tell me that you didn't know about copyright as a 19 year old?
If you really didn't know anything about copyright, then please tell me why in the world you got others music copyrighted =_=.
Sorry, for every new post you make, i just fell less and less sorry for you. You fully understood what you were doing,
you DID make money of it(I know for a fact that you made at least 100-200$ on Heaven RD. 2 alone), and the only reason you are apologizing now, is because you got a lot of mail saying that you would get sued :P.
You earned money on these songs AND you were fully aware of until just a few days ago.

The best thing you could have done is just apologize, pay compensation (even though you earned much money on the songs or not, you should still pay for breaking like 4 different liscences. 2 by Routenote, one by newgrounds and one by the label you're signed to :P.)

So I call bullshit on every single thing you've said so far. Get the songs down NOW. No one cares about your new work atm. Just get them down, even if that will get you banned from RouteNote and kicked out of your label. Right is right.
I really don't care if I'm being mean anymore. You're friggin 3 years OLDER than me and I knew stealing was wrong when I was like 2 =_=.

So again, I call bullshit, (and bullcrap), on anything and everything you say.
Guess I'll let the owners of the music take care of the rest.
-enochcity

Just a random idiot

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 08:56:33

At this point, it would probably be a lot easier for every artist who sees this to just mail RouteNote, link them the original track, tell them to check the timestamp, and demand compensation for any money made off the stolen music.

If this guy doesn't care enough to take them down immediately and actually own up to his mistake rather than blustering about and being this self-centered, then that's tough. He should get his rightful reward for that - legal action.

And that crap is nasty to get stuck in, it just RUINS your socks and shoes

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 09:32:36

I don't understand why original artists are not claiming their rights now. 60 days, then 30 days.....what nonsense??? There is sufficient evidence to prove this guy's wrongdoings now.

This is clearly a shoot at sight case because he (Daniel) is not serious in his apology calling others 'mean' and thinking himself 'noble' because our Respected Sir is apologizing now, so period! Well, he knew how to sell and make money on others hard work one month back, but didn't know the copyright issues because one month back he was an under-age!!!??? I was thinking of him to be forgiven, but his tone and manners clearly showing he is just accidently caught and now trying to escape taking advantage of him behind the computer but every thief promises to become gentleman until caught again. Really feel sorry for the artists.

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 09:40:10

I am quite frankly disgusted by what I have read here today. I have so much respect for many of the Newground musicians, many of which I have worked with closely and formed good friendships with over the past few years. What you have done here is unforgivable.

I have quite a strong online presence and am in communication with many larger video game websites and related groups and oranisations. Rest assured, I shall be doing everything in my power to let people know what you have done, and will not stop until every single track you have stolen has been removed, and all money generated from the sale of these songs returned in the most appropriate fashion or until your reputation as a musician is ruined.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 09:53:10

What I've been reading so far really goes beyond my imagination. Aside from the fact that this guy probably thought stealing from other people's hard work was routine, going as far as to claim copyrights from non-commercial songs belonging to Newgrounds artists, and now he's even trying to defend himself? Is this even planet Earth we're talking about? I feel no mercy for individuals like him who outright shit on someone else's work by abusing licenses/terms of use so blatantly, even having the guts to spill such a weak excuse...

The only good thing he can do is to face all the legal consequences and disappear from the face of the internet. God help him if he stole any of my tracks. I'm trying to share this with my contacts, hopefully we can get this sorted out as soon as possible before it degenerates even further.

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 09:53:34

and while you're at it, I think a public apology on your website and directly to every musician you stole music from is in order. If you're truly sorry, you will do all in your power to change this and fix what you have done. If there are delays in removing music from these websites you have shared them with, then show us evidence. Prove you are doing all you can.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 10:06:29

So you guys have like a big major proof that he stole and sold a material belonging to like 5 or more different artists without any right. Don't talk to him, don't bother with him and sue the hell out of him.

If 5 or more people sue him and demand financial retribution, he will be fucked, his parents will be fucked and he will be butt fucked every night in prison, where he will be manafacturing furniture to pay your money back. Sue him! Sue him!
You'll get money out of him.

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 10:16:58

At 4/30/14 10:06 AM, Deshiel wrote: If 5 or more people sue him and demand financial retribution, he will be fucked, his parents will be fucked and he will be butt fucked every night in prison, where he will be manafacturing furniture to pay your money back. Sue him! Sue him!
You'll get money out of him.

He can steal reach-arounds in prison.

NYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 10:21:24

You don't get to play the "I'm young and stupid I didn't mean it" card when you're 19, bro.

Then you have the audacity to say people are being mean to you, when all I'm seeing in this thread is a steady stream of tolerance.

If you get out of this without any legal altercation I have to say you're really lucky. Unjustly lucky, even.

I have only been briefly active in this community, with bucketloads of lurking on the side. There's great chemistry here. Friendly civilized people, willing to share their work and knowledge.

Unfortunate that this kind of thing would take place.

I sincerely hope everyone who has had their work stolen gets rightfully compensated. Good day.

Response to Daniel Harris stealing NG music. 2014-04-30 10:51:56

Btw., Is this guy and Dj Smitter the same person, or are there really that many people who steal music from Newgrounds these days =_=.

Just a random idiot