00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jesspionic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Handheld Consoles

731 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 01:15:11

Why the hate? Seems like the GBA was the last real 'hit' portable console that you saw everyone carrying around. I see people with the DS now, but even that's becoming more rare, and I'm one of very few people I know to have a PSP.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 01:29:11

Isn't the DS the best selling handheld of all time? I think it's lame that you can't play GB or GBA games on the 3DS, though. Couldn't they have made room for a slot like the DS had?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 01:30:01

Honestly, with the increasing prominence of PC gaming, I'd say handhelds get more love than home consoles at this point; the DS was the best-selling handheld of all time (and just a few million units short of being the best-selling console of any kind), the PSP's sales were almost exactly the same as that of the GBA, and the 3DS is doing very well.

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 01:58:18

The DS and 3DS are both wonderful handheld consoles.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 04:24:42

Mobile gaming killed the North American handheld market. It's also beginning to grip over J-Pan's market too.

But honestly, I feel like getting a PS Vita. It has a bigger selection of games that I like, plus it has trophy support, video streaming apps (Youtube, Netflix, etc), and free games. My PSP just collects dust in one of my drawers; been relegated to PSX emulation and Phantasy Star Universe.

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 04:30:27

At 4/24/14 01:15 AM, Kwing wrote: Why the hate? Seems like the GBA was the last real 'hit' portable console that you saw everyone carrying around. I see people with the DS now, but even that's becoming more rare, and I'm one of very few people I know to have a PSP.

The Nintendo DS is awesome. I have a Nintendo DS XL and it's my favourite handheld of all time actually. I think handhelds are probably less liked now since smartphones are getting more capable of playing games, shoddy mobile games aside, you can also emulate older consoles and handhelds on them quite easily so that might be a major cause for phasing handhelds out, people like to have one device for everything.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 09:08:59

The only handheld consol I've owned is a PSP. I still got it but i've only got Fifa, GTA and marvel rise of the imperfects. I do play but only on long trips, car journeys.

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 19:08:03

I dug out my old Gameboy Advance two nights ago and wow, the visibility of the screen is even worse than I remembered. I took out the light up magnifying glass attatchment, which still had working batteries in it and it didn't really help. If only I had known at the time that the Gameboy Advance SP would be announced, I would have waited and gotten that instead.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-24 22:05:29

The DS is probably the best handheld of all time.. then the Gameboy. Honestly, I'd say they're better than all the Nintendo consoles too.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Handheld Consoles 2014-04-25 08:58:28

You'll always get the occasional person hating on a handheld, but I don't think negative opinions on handhelds are the consensus. Quite the opposite, really.