00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lbkush just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What audio programs do you use?Why?

4,248 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What audio programs do you use, and why?

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 06:39:54

FL Studio, because I remembered my brother had it installed on the family computer when I was 12.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 10:20:57

In order of usage:

FL Studio:
Because it was my first DAW, and I "grew up" as a musician using it. I also really like the work flow in the piano roll for midi.

Reaper:
Because FL Studio sucks at recording live instruments... I use Reaper to record guitars, vocals, bass, and any other non-software powered instrument.

Ableton Live 9:
Only recently picked this one up, but I really love playing around with it as a performance tool... And the way I write songs, even if not for performance varies greatly from how I write with FL Studio... Simply because the workflow feels a lot more direct and hands on, where FL Studio it feels more like everything is planned and calculated... I'm sure I didn't explain that right... maybe someone will know what I mean.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 10:42:00

ableton, very easy to get to grips with, very powerful native plugins and most of all very quick :)

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 13:22:30

Finally an original thread
FL Studio, because it is the best one for me at its price

Suck my kick!

BBS Signature

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 13:23:37

At 4/22/14 01:22 PM, UserSigon wrote: Finally an original thread
FL Studio, because it is the best one for me at its price

oh well also because i used it illegally something like 10 years ago and Im so used to it

Suck my kick!

BBS Signature

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 15:13:31

Cockos REAPER

Because it's a great DAW, and because it was my first (And I've gotten used to it).

NI Massive for Synths

Kontakt +
Libraries:

Albion I, II, III - Orchestral Strings/Brass/Woodwinds
Heavyocity Damage - Percussion. ALL THE PERCUSSION

Overloud TH2 - Guitar Amp Simulation

Superior Drummer 2.0 + The Metal Foundry Addon - Drum Machine

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 15:29:57

Thanks guys

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 15:57:19

Reaper (DAW)
I used Sonar for a while and gave up, it was way too convoluted and made simple tasks difficult. Reaper fit me like a glove and I haven't looked back since.

Guitars/bass: I record with a Line 6 UX2 and Pod Farm 2. I love the sound of this software, it complements my LTD F400 well.

Mixing: I use Izotope's plugins. I have Ozone 5, Alloy 2 and Nectar 2. I love Izotope's work-flow, it makes sense and it's very powerful, adaptable and comes with presets that save a lot of time and, when I was starting out, they taught me quite a bit.

Orchestral: I have East West Quantum Leap's Complete Composers Collection 2 so I use that, mainly. I also have other stuff but it's less common. These have the best price/quality ratio on the market.

Drums: Native Instruments Studio Drummer. I love the sound and how adaptable it is. I've got so many different, completely custom sounds out of this plugin.

Synths: Native Instruments' stuff, mainly Absynth and Massive. Simply good synths.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-22 21:43:23

I use FL Studio 11 Signature for my DAW. It was the first DAW I used, so I've gotten used to it and I like the workflow, along with the UI and the piano roll. Also, lifetime free updates.

I use NI The Giant for my piano stuff, and I do piano stuff a lot. I got it for half off during a sale, and it's definitely an improvement over Nexus pianos and it's as close as I can get to East/West pianos at the moment due to money. Also no elicenser or iLok needed, yay!

My main synths are mainly ones from Z3TA+ 2. I only have a select few that I use, but the ones I do, I love. I also enjoy the fact that I never hear it in other productions, so it gives me a bit of novelty. (in my head)

Sylenth1 is a go to plugin as well if Z3TA falls short of my expectations for a synth. It's easier for me to create a synth in Sylenth than Z3TA, especially pads and plucky synths.

I've begun to use NI Massive for basses mainly. Used to use some of the Z3TA presets, which were decent. FM work is Sytrus' job and Harmor is a great one to use too, I just have yet to fully go in depth with those on my own (only have used them in my collab group's work).

For mixing/mastering purposes: Izotope Ozone 5 all the way. Maximus is good too, but I really only use it for parallel compression.

And I think that's it.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-23 01:07:14

I use FL Studio, because it's what I've been learning on since I was 12, and compared to other DAWs, the workflow and layout of FL suits me perfectly. I'm used to it and it gets the job done.

BBS Signature

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-23 13:06:42

It's a secret, sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-23 14:00:31

I use fl studio, Massive and 3xosc for synths ( i dont understand fm synthesis) and recently I started using kontakt.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-23 17:08:20

Cubase: FL studio was my first DAW, but it just wasn't my thing. My keyboard came with a free version of Cubase AI5 so I ended up trying that out instead and really preferred the workflow and presentation. Recently upgraded to 7.5 and its even better.

Kontakt 5 for most of my libraries

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-24 00:28:21

FL studio (since version 1) -----> Cubase demo
Didn't like the workflow. Too many long routings for simple things. Trend setting midi functions but not for me or my work flow. Back to FL studio. Upgraded till v11.

FL studio -----> DP (windows demo)
Finest DAW. In depth functions. All praises but not fit for windows. Bad...too bad support on DP forums specially for demo users. Too many unnecessary issues. Unstable on windows BUT a very promising DAW. Back to FL studio.

FL studio -----> Studio one (demo to full version)
Fast work flow. Migration from FL studio is easy. Logic/Pro tools hybrid DAW. Reasonable midi functions. Some mixing console issues but work around can be done. Uninstalled FL studio as I used to go back to it and wasn't fully exploring the strength of Studio one. Now settled on it. Still miss some functions of FL but catching up with Studio one now.

Tried Pro tools as well at a friend's studio. Prompted to buy it before considering S1 but dropped it due to very basic midi functions. Looking forward to a stable DP windows version. Will buy without second thought.

BBS Signature

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-24 01:37:39

FL Studio, because I haven't bothered to try anything else. I've been recommended so many different programs, but FL Studio is just too easy not to use. I've heard it's actually better to use multiple programs though. Not entirely sure why though.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-24 13:52:06

I use Reaper for recording guitars since I can take advantage of freeware gutiar plug-ins such as what LePou offers. I record everything else as well as mix in a copy of Pro Tools 8 LE I've had for years.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-24 14:28:15

I've used various DAWs but once I bought ableton I've never looked back. The main reason for this is: organization. It combines both a loop-based and arrangement-based environment, a major game-changer. It's so easy to set up a workflow that allows you to concentrate on other things beyond organization. And to think that individual loops can even incorporate automation! Wow. This performance-based aspect makes arranging 100 times faster, the loops more clear, and your mind so much more focused on what you want. I don't find myself fumbling around too much with Ableton.
Continuing with organization, the drum rack.. such a great, easy, flexible way to organize sounds.. and they don't have to be drum sounds. So easy to both edit individual drum sounds and the full drum kit at the same time. To me, Ableton makes everything I do a breeze.

The plugins are also great. The horizontal plugin rack is unique. Reverb is so powerful and simple. The compressor has a visual representation that's sooooo helpful and personally makes ableton worth it alone. And as far as speed, I don't find myself reaching the upper limits of my computer memory almost ever, and that's a big one.

When it comes to making sounds, I'm a big big big big big fan of FM8. Why? Because it's such a simple, intuitive take on FM Synthesis. And FM Synthesis is a tool with unlimited potential. I make all of my sounds with FM8. The kicks, snares, hats, basses, strings, vox sounds, everything. What I've found is that you can develop technique with FM synthesis that allows you to have so much knowledge and power about sound while always being creative. I can't say that there aren't other FM synths out there, but the one I know has been such a satisfaction I don't know where I'd be without it.

Electronic Music Drops Competition: www.pwrjay.com Submit by Dec. 1, 2015

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-26 12:39:02

Fl studio. It's just easy to use.

Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study

Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-26 12:51:35

I use FL Studio because after toying with it for 6 years I'm very accustomed to using it. I tried to use Ableton a few years back but gave up trying after a couple hours.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-26 13:03:37

Digital Performer, because I'm a dinosaur, haha. But seriously, it has the best video scoring features I've ever seen. Also, the "chunks" and "v-rack" features make life a whole lot easier when having to do multiple cues. I'm using the Windows version, and yes, I run into some instability issues, but it's not that bad.

I use all Kontakt-based instruments for orchestral, sound design, and whatever else, and every now and then I'll whip out the good ol' Stormdrum 2 on EastWest PLAY. For synths (non-Kontakt), I use Omnisphere pretty much exclusively now. Trying to make my own private library of sounds at the moment.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-26 20:35:25

i use reaktor 5 to make my sounds and synths, along with ace and some other flexible vst's.

i use fls and abelton but mostly fls because it suits my needs and i'm more familiar with it. and i use adobe audition cc for post production and sometimes izotope ozone 5 if i'm in a hurry. i even use izotope trash to add some weird effects to my sounds.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-27 03:16:12

There's really no reason to not use FL Studio. The only limitation the demo version has really is not allowing you to save FLPs. But you can export to MP3, Wav, Midi, what have you.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-04-27 03:31:57

The audio programs I use are:

GarageBand: Because 1. I use a Mac computer, 2. it's the first Digital Audio Workstation I ever worked/dabbled with 3. It's the first one I feel at home with and enjoy working with

Ableton Live (Lite): Because 1. It can be used in Mac and Windows. 2. It's fun and as interesting to use as GarageBand, and 3. It's the first "pro" DAW I feel I like the most of all the ones I've ever tried

Audacity: Simply because programs like Live don't export to .mp3.

I have used FL Studio, but always as a demo. I'll use it from time to time to experiment, but never really use it as a serious audio program.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-05-05 10:19:10

I first started off making music with MAGIX Music Maker as it was affordable and in my local store! Although it is quite basic, it was a good point DAW IMO, and from there I learned the basics, and the power of VSTs etc.

Then I got a MIDI keyboard and a Lite version of Ableton and have been hooked on it since! As AeroMusic says, it is very easy to get use to (LOADS of tutorials online), and the native plugins are very, very good.

Otherwise I'm a massive fan of Native Instruments and use Konkakt and Massive extensively.

However, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what you use, it is how you use it!

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-05-05 11:10:10

FL - the only DAW I ever used in my life. I'm used to it and happy using it. I guess it's not about what you use but about how you use it :)

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-05-05 22:21:19

At 4/22/14 10:42 AM, AeroMusic wrote: ableton, very easy to get to grips with, very powerful native plugins and most of all very quick :)

FL Studio can have all the same plugins. Also it comes with it's own, "Fruity delay, fruity parametric EQ" you know. So FL Studio is better.

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-05-05 22:34:55

At 5/5/14 10:21 PM, Pixel-DJ wrote:
At 4/22/14 10:42 AM, AeroMusic wrote: ableton, very easy to get to grips with, very powerful native plugins and most of all very quick :)
FL Studio can have all the same plugins. Also it comes with it's own, "Fruity delay, fruity parametric EQ" you know. So FL Studio is better.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/575424

FL comes with it's own plugins!? wow yeah FL is definitely the better one then

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-05-06 05:15:14

Reaper, fruityloops and some super outdated line 6 guitar interface...

Response to What audio programs do you use?Why? 2014-05-07 18:56:32

FL comes with it's own plugins!? wow yeah FL is definitely the better one then

LOL

Do you like pork sausages?

BBS Signature