00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

spacedoodles just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Night Cramps

668 Views | 18 Replies

Night Cramps 2014-04-19 07:35:16

Does it happen to anyone else that sometimes in the middle of the night you wake up and your leg muscle (or some other muscle) just starts cramping for (seemingly) no explicit reason whatsoever? Have also ever been really unlucky that it has happened in both legs!?

It has happened to me for two days straight and if it happens again I'll consider chopping my legs off.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 07:50:13

Maybe you have a potassium deficiency?

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 08:06:06

At 4/19/14 07:50 AM, Radaketor wrote: Maybe you have a potassium deficiency?

Is that the cause of night cramps? Because I can't say that I eat many bananas.

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 08:13:24

At 4/19/14 08:06 AM, Mismo wrote:

I always thought people got cramps because they didn't eat a ot of bananas, eat a couple of bananas a few minutes before you go sleep, maybe that'll help.

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 08:21:44

It used to happen to me quite often but doesn't anymore

One night I was drunk, went to sleep and woke up with a horrible cramp in my leg, it was so bad I felt like I had to puke so I had to crawl to the bathroom while suffering the pain of the cramp

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 08:34:00

At 4/19/14 08:13 AM, Radaketor wrote:
At 4/19/14 08:06 AM, Mismo wrote:
I always thought people got cramps because they didn't eat a ot of bananas, eat a couple of bananas a few minutes before you go sleep, maybe that'll help.

I looked it up. No one really knows for certain why it happens except for when it brought on by another problem (potassium deficiency not being one of them). So it can still happen even though you're completely fine.

I suspect it might happen to me because of my medication or the thing my medication is for.

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 08:49:22

At 4/19/14 08:34 AM, Mismo wrote: I looked it up. No one really knows for certain why it happens except for when it brought on by another problem (potassium deficiency not being one of them). So it can still happen even though you're completely fine.

I suspect it might happen to me because of my medication or the thing my medication is for.

Or you might just be having just random leg cramps and they just happened 2 nights in a row.

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 10:15:42

Well it can't hurt to eat a few more bananas...

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 10:30:41

At 4/19/14 10:15 AM, LionzNTiggerz wrote: Well it can't hurt to eat a few more bananas...

Next week news: Young man dead by Potassium OD.

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 12:47:10

At 4/19/14 10:30 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 4/19/14 10:15 AM, LionzNTiggerz wrote: Well it can't hurt to eat a few more bananas...
Next week news: Young man dead by Potassium OD.

In addition to slurping on bananas like a curious preteen boy, you'll also want to increase your water intake since dehydration can be a huge factor in muscle cramping.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 12:52:51

At 4/19/14 07:35 AM, Mismo wrote: It has happened to me for two days straight and if it happens again I'll consider chopping my legs off.

Do that. And don't use anything to stop the blood flow. We have too many people on this planet anyway.

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 12:53:01

At 4/19/14 08:21 AM, Teddiikun wrote: It used to happen to me quite often but doesn't anymore

One night I was drunk, went to sleep and woke up with a horrible cramp in my leg, it was so bad I felt like I had to puke so I had to crawl to the bathroom while suffering the pain of the cramp

Are we sure that wasn't because you were drunk?

This is a sig you dumbass.

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 14:14:05

At 4/19/14 12:52 PM, Makakaov wrote:
At 4/19/14 07:35 AM, Mismo wrote: It has happened to me for two days straight and if it happens again I'll consider chopping my legs off.
Do that. And don't use anything to stop the blood flow. We have too many people on this planet anyway.

As long as you're still here.

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 14:34:08

that sounds horrid.

the worst i get are foot cramps before i fall asleep. i slightly move my right toes upward and then this stinging, piercing pain shoots through my whole foot and lasts for two minutes.

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 15:10:41

Had those pretty often in the past but rarely nowadays. Eating more bananas could help, as they contain Iron which supposedly is the reason for those cramps if you don't consume enough of it. If they keep happening so frequently then you should of course visit a doctor.

Having those cramps on one leg is already pretty bad, when I was in Italy, I was pretty weakened from the heat and almost dehydrated and got those cramps in both legs. That was the worst thing, standing up was impossible. I recommend that you also don't go swimming in the near future, you will sink like a stone if you get such cramps in the water, believe me.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 15:26:49

Magnesium, potassium, and just staying hydrated are all causes of muscle cramps.

Also, what muscle group is cramping? If it's your calves that are hurting (as is most common), it's possible you're cramping because you're sleeping with your feet in plantar flexion (image below).

If this is really bothering you, I suggest getting a bolster pillow to place in front of your ankles when you sleep. If you sleep on your back, this can create enough room so that your blankets don't push you into plantar flexion. If you sleep on your stomach, this can support your ankles and leave room for the joints to hang in plantar flexion.

Finally, there are a few hands-on techniques that can help you relieve a cramp. First is just to compress the cramping muscle - just squeeze the shit out of it. Second is to forcefully bring your foot into dorsiflexion against resistance; this will shut off your plantar flexors and help stop the cramp. The more forcefully you contract, the more effective this should be.

Night Cramps

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 22:10:30

At 4/19/14 12:53 PM, mechadude32 wrote:

Are we sure that wasn't because you were drunk?

Not entirely

BBS Signature

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 22:17:54

I rarely but occasionally get woken up by calf cramps, but when they're over I get to go back to sleep, so it's all good in da hood.

The real problem is that I get foot cramps often and for seemingly no reason. Oddly enough, I also get them literally every time I play Gears of War 3.

Response to Night Cramps 2014-04-19 22:42:40

If you chop your legs, you will have phantom pains.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature