00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Problems with Preloader

557 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Problems with Preloader 2014-04-16 15:02:26

I am using one of the preloaders that Newgrounds have provided and I did everything it asked, but it still isn't working. Every time I put it in the "Dumping Grounds" and play it, it just brings up the white screen until it's all the way loaded and automatically starts.

Response to Problems with Preloader 2014-04-17 11:51:54

At 4/16/14 03:02 PM, wolftriplex wrote: I am using one of the preloaders that Newgrounds have provided and I did everything it asked, but it still isn't working. Every time I put it in the "Dumping Grounds" and play it, it just brings up the white screen until it's all the way loaded and automatically starts.

Link the Dumping grounds file

Response to Problems with Preloader 2014-04-17 13:05:37

Response to Problems with Preloader 2014-04-17 18:38:39

I have changed the properties, but now, it brings up the preloader and loads, but the code still attempts to start and comes up with an error saying that my variables are Null or no properties. It's as if the preloader isn't stopping the code and the preloader just does it's thing.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/9f5fda2cabf26aa78287b3311a7c63f5

Response to Problems with Preloader 2014-04-18 02:06:49

At 4/17/14 06:38 PM, wolftriplex wrote: I have changed the properties, but now, it brings up the preloader and loads, but the code still attempts to start and comes up with an error saying that my variables are Null or no properties. It's as if the preloader isn't stopping the code and the preloader just does it's thing.

The preloader doesn't 'stop' code, it just delays the 2nd frame until the loading finished. Put your code on the 2nd frame and it should work fine.

Response to Problems with Preloader 2014-04-19 17:23:06

But how do I do this? All the Actionscript code, including the main Engine, are all in separate Actionscript files and the Class on the Flash file is linked to the "Engine" actionscript file! I even set the code to start on Frame 2, but it still wants to run the actionscript engine, even though it's not on frame 2 :(

Response to Problems with Preloader 2014-04-19 18:21:50

At 4/19/14 05:23 PM, wolftriplex wrote: But how do I do this? All the Actionscript code, including the main Engine, are all in separate Actionscript files and the Class on the Flash file is linked to the "Engine" actionscript file! I even set the code to start on Frame 2, but it still wants to run the actionscript engine, even though it's not on frame 2 :(

I'm not sure what your problem is, what isn't working, what errors do you get (if you get any), what does the corresponding code look like? What do you mean with "the Class on the Flash file"?
If you're using Adobe Flash CS x you just need to make 2 frames on the timeline, 1st frame for the preloader (nothing else), and the 2nd frame contains the ActionScript to start your game/engine.

Response to Problems with Preloader 2014-04-19 20:29:27

At 4/19/14 06:21 PM, Etherblood wrote:
At 4/19/14 05:23 PM, wolftriplex wrote: But how do I do this? All the Actionscript code, including the main Engine, are all in separate Actionscript files and the Class on the Flash file is linked to the "Engine" actionscript file! I even set the code to start on Frame 2, but it still wants to run the actionscript engine, even though it's not on frame 2 :(
I'm not sure what your problem is, what isn't working, what errors do you get (if you get any), what does the corresponding code look like? What do you mean with "the Class on the Flash file"?
If you're using Adobe Flash CS x you just need to make 2 frames on the timeline, 1st frame for the preloader (nothing else), and the 2nd frame contains the ActionScript to start your game/engine.

Alright, so the error I get is that the line is "null or contains no properties" and it is on the first line of code! Now, the code for the game is not linked to any frame at all, like an action, it is in an actionscript file. Now, what I mean by "The class on the flash file" is when in the properties menu on the Flash file, there is a "Class" spot where you link an actionscript file to it!
I am using Adobe Flash Creative Cloud.

Response to Problems with Preloader 2014-04-20 02:31:39

At 4/19/14 08:29 PM, wolftriplex wrote: Alright, so the error I get is that the line is "null or contains no properties" and it is on the first line of code! Now, the code for the game is not linked to any frame at all, like an action, it is in an actionscript file. Now, what I mean by "The class on the flash file" is when in the properties menu on the Flash file, there is a "Class" spot where you link an actionscript file to it!
I am using Adobe Flash Creative Cloud.

Hmm...
Below the textfield where you type in your document class should be another textfield "export in frame", did you try setting it to 2? (not sure if this even changes something)
If not I'm out of ideas.