00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2d Vs 3d Games

1,230 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-04 22:26:46

Well they're a lot of different types of games, so what graphic styles do you like most?

Do you prefer 2D drawn games or 3D games? Which one sticks out to you, or is game play really the key factor?

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-04 23:57:37

They both work for me. It depends on the game.

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-05 03:12:07

When talking solely about graphics, I would say that 2D graphics tend to age better and can convey a specific artsyle more freely. 3D models obviously give a game more depth and clarity, as well as look more detailed and realistic, but I prefer an aesthetically pleasing artstyle to realistic looking art. So I guess my vote goes to 2D in terms of graphics alone.

As for gameplay, I don't think it's really possible for me to say "2D is better than 3D" or vice versa because they're completely different design styles that lead to completely different gameplay experiences. I can say that I enjoy more 2D games than I do 3D, but that's simply because I've played more 2D games, and still has nothing to do with how many dimensions the game environment has. It all depends on what kind of experience the creators of the game are trying to make, the two aren't really comparable in "better or worse overall" terms.

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-05 03:19:30

I prefer 2d side scrollers the most.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-05 17:02:23

Apples and Oranges.

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-05 17:02:27

It all depends on the genre. I prefer 3D platformers over 2D sidescrollers. I prefer 2D shmups over 3D plane flyers. From an aesthetic point of view, 2D games will always have an advantage over 3D games, but good color scheme can put it above even the nicest looking 2D games.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-08 22:44:52

it really depends on the genre- i mean with RPGs it could be either- final fantasy 6 and 7 are pretty much on a par with each other in my book, action games? well i generally prefer 2d for those as there's less control bullshit involved, racing games need to be in 3d in my opinion, i'd much rather play the likes of mario kart 64 over super mario kart. fighting games work better in 2d generally- again i'd rather play guilty gear or blazblue than any virtua fighter game.

on the subject of fighting games, they are a perfect example of showing how poorly old 3d graphics aged and how gracefully their 2d counterparts aged- compare the original tekken 1 with street fighter 2- the latter is 2 years older, but is still relatively pretty compared to tekken 1.

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-08 23:23:22

At 4/4/14 11:02 PM, Razefan wrote: You can only go so far with 2d games

Limitation leads to creativity; I honestly find modern games to be more samey than those of the early/mid 90's.

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-09 19:43:33

I feel 3d games just seem to add an extra dimension to the gameplay

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-09 20:04:05

I've been a fan of 3D action/adventure games since their inception in the early '90s.

However I do also enjoy the old 2D RTS games like Warcraft, Starcraft, Command & Conquer, Age of Empires and Settlers.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-11 01:11:47

3D games suffer from unique problems. Often bad camera is a common 3D game plague. The models can look weird and the art doesn't usually look as good as 2D game art.

I'm going to have to say I prefer 2D games. Give me a good 2D platformer any day over a 3D Arena shooter.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-12 18:53:22

If we are talking about graphics, well of course the 3D is going to be the winner. But all that eye-candy doesn't cover up the terrible gameplay. I'm not saying all 2D games are better than 3D games and I'm not saying all 3D games that appear to just be eye-candy don't provide great gameplay (especially those jap games) but I know a select few that are even better than 3D games, and last twice if not triple as long while still maintaining some incredible graphics and are a century older.

In my world, gameplay is rule. If gameplay is not equal to or greater than the graphics it's not worth playing.

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-12 21:59:02

I prefer 2d games.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 2d Vs 3d Games 2014-04-12 23:27:49

At 4/5/14 05:02 PM, The-Real-Giovanni wrote: Apples and Oranges.

I think this is true. You can't say that The Binding of Isaac (2D) is objectively better than Ys: The Oath in Felghana (3D) because, even though their gameplay is similar (action brawling), they are thoroughly different games. You can take that a step further, and say that Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (2D) is nothing like Titanfall (3D).

I do get that you're just asking for an opinion, but I think that anybody who says that they like one more than the other has either not thought about the question, or is actively limiting their choices.

BBS Signature