00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mishirozen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help 2014-04-02 11:10:14

hey, before 7 years i was creating animation movie with adobe flash pro,
is there any program good and new today for animation movies?
im talking about 2d animation
thank you :)

The ghost train-

Is a ride that will take you deep into the haunted cave and to meet horror characters.

Let's take a ride..

BBS Signature

Response to Help 2014-04-02 13:59:25

ToonBoom is probably the best 2D animation software there is.

BBS Signature

Response to Help 2014-04-03 08:25:15

At 4/2/14 11:10 AM, xzomxbie wrote: hey, before 7 years i was creating animation movie with adobe flash pro,
is there any program good and new today for animation movies?
im talking about 2d animation
thank you :)

try use Macromedia Flash software or Animation speed software.They didn't bad.:)

Response to Help 2014-04-03 09:06:20

Flash and Toon Boom for frame-by-frame, vector-based animation.

Photoshop and TVPaint for frame-by-frame, raster-based animation.

Flash, Toon Boom, and After Effects for puppet/rigged animation.

Response to Help 2014-04-04 11:28:43

At 4/3/14 09:06 AM, dylan wrote: Flash and Toon Boom for frame-by-frame, vector-based animation.

Photoshop and TVPaint for frame-by-frame, raster-based animation.

Flash, Toon Boom, and After Effects for puppet/rigged animation.

I agree with this, minus the inclusion of Flash. Now I know Flash is popular around NG, and that's fine, but if you're serious about animation you need an ANIMATION program, not web-multimedia software. Once upon a time Flash was useful for animators, but today we have MUCH better software to use (see above: Toon Boom Animate and TV Paint). You'll do yourself a disservice in the long run to use Flash, so instead make an effort to learn one of the programs designed FOR animators, which Adobe simply doesn't produce.

BBS Signature

Response to Help 2014-04-04 14:50:46

At 4/4/14 11:28 AM, JKR wrote: I agree with this, minus the inclusion of Flash.

I don't know about that. I get that it's all the rage to hate on Flash these days, but there are some great benefits to using the program above using another vector based software like Toon Boom.

First, interactivity. Flash has actionscript, which, while not strictly in the realm of animation, can add a lot to your final product. You've got pay buttons, links, and any other type of interactivity you might need to add to your short. From my understanding, Toon Boom doesn't have an alternative, and even recommends going through Flash for something as simple as a play button. This is solved by making your final piece a quicktime, but what's the point of working in a vector based software if you're just going rasterize in the end? May as well learn TVPaint or Photoshop at that point.

Second, for frame-by-frame at least, you honestly don't need all the bells and whistles provided by TB. It's not a reason in itself to choose Flash, but the only real addition when it comes to TB seems to be the ability to rotate the view. For this kind of work, Flash is a perfectly fine piece of software.

Third, Flash is one of the most accessible programs. These days, if you buy After Effects, you also get Flash. If you buy Photoshop, you get Flash. If you buy Premiere, you get Flash. If you buy Illustrator, you get Flash. If you buy Audition, you get Flash.

On the reverse of that, if you choose Flash over Toon Boom, you get access to Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, Audition, etc. all for free. If you ever plan on having any part of your pipeline in another Adobe Program, Flash is the easiest, cheapest way to go.

In the end, they're both just pieces of software. 90% of both TB and Flash are designed to do exactly the same thing. It's not like choosing one over the other is going to drastically change one's ability to create content. I'm not saying that Flash is an inherently better choice than Toon Boom, but there's certainly no reason to actively discourage the use of Flash. Like all programs, it's a tool that has its own uses along with its own flaws.

Response to Help 2014-04-04 16:20:43

At 4/4/14 02:50 PM, dylan wrote: I don't know about that. I get that it's all the rage to hate on Flash these days, but there are some great benefits to using the program above using another vector based software like Toon Boom.

I didn't know it was all the rage to hate on Flash. I have used it for 10 years now and discovered personally that Toon Boom is far superior in every way for animating. Believe me, this is not me being on some band-wagon, this is the conclusion I've drawn after a decade of personal use.

First, interactivity. Flash has actionscript, which, while not strictly in the realm of animation, can add a lot to your final product. You've got pay buttons, links, and any other type of interactivity you might need to add to your short. From my understanding, Toon Boom doesn't have an alternative, and even recommends going through Flash for something as simple as a play button. This is solved by making your final piece a quicktime, but what's the point of working in a vector based software if you're just going rasterize in the end? May as well learn TVPaint or Photoshop at that point.

Absolutely, if you want interactivity, you need a piece of software that does that. If you want animation, though, you don't need interactivity and might as well use a better program specifically made to do animation.

Second, for frame-by-frame at least, you honestly don't need all the bells and whistles provided by TB. It's not a reason in itself to choose Flash, but the only real addition when it comes to TB seems to be the ability to rotate the view. For this kind of work, Flash is a perfectly fine piece of software.

While you may not need the bells and whistles of TB, if you are doing frame by frame animation what you DO need (or is at least very nice to have) is a set of drawing tools that don't ruin what you're trying to create. Flash is TERRIBLE at drawing, even at the lowest "correction" settings. Literally it is a night and day difference. (And even then, TB is inferior to drawing in TV Paint or Photoshop.)

On the reverse of that, if you choose Flash over Toon Boom, you get access to Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator, Audition, etc. all for free. If you ever plan on having any part of your pipeline in another Adobe Program, Flash is the easiest, cheapest way to go.

Cheapest is not always the best. In fact, it's RARELY the best. Why use inferior software for something you're going to dedicate SO much time to?

In the end, they're both just pieces of software. 90% of both TB and Flash are designed to do exactly the same thing. It's not like choosing one over the other is going to drastically change one's ability to create content. I'm not saying that Flash is an inherently better choice than Toon Boom, but there's certainly no reason to actively discourage the use of Flash. Like all programs, it's a tool that has its own uses along with its own flaws.

While I totally agree with you that they are both just tools with flaws and positives, Flash and Toon Boom were ABSOLUTELY not created with the same intention. Macromedia never intended Flash to be a dedicated animation program, it was just something that it could also do but it was always designed for interactive web content. Meanwhile Toon Boom is made for doing animation, specifically for animators.

At the end of the day they are all tools. However some tools are better for certain jobs than others. Can you mix cake batter with a hammer? Sure, but it wasn't designed to mix cakes. You can also hammer in a nail with a spoon, but why would you? Because the spoon is cheaper?

Anyways, it's just my opinion after 10 years of Flash work that it's not worth the energy to dedicate to that program if you're serious about animation. I do my best not to live with regrets, but I really sometimes wish someone had told me a decade ago that I should learn a good animation program instead. I'd be so much better off today. Oh well, life goes on.

BBS Signature

Response to Help 2014-04-05 19:26:48

At 4/4/14 04:20 PM, JKR wrote: Absolutely, if you want interactivity, you need a piece of software that does that. If you want animation, though, you don't need interactivity and might as well use a better program specifically made to do animation.

what you DO need is a set of drawing tools that don't ruin what you're trying to create. Flash is TERRIBLE at drawing, even at the lowest "correction" settings. (And even then, TB is inferior to drawing in TV Paint or Photoshop.)

At this point though, why even recommend Toon Boom? Without interactivity, you're going to have to go to a raster format eventually, so, other than maybe the large file size, why not just tell people to use Photoshop or TVPaint? They've clearly got the best drawing tools of any type of animation software. Maybe even recommend Dragon Frame plus a ream of paper.

I suppose symbol animation doesn't go well with TVPaint or Photoshop, but After Effects really takes the symbolic cake with its animation tools. In addition, it's probably the software that's most likely to land jobs as well.

Cheapest is not always the best. In fact, it's RARELY the best. Why use inferior software for something you're going to dedicate SO much time to?

Cheapest may not be the best, but when you're looking at the high barrier to entry of the animation world, getting every type of software you could possibly need for 30 bucks a month is a huge plus, and it shouldn't be overlooked. The ability to cancel your subscription at any point also makes it a great beginner's software, as I'd guess nearly all that come here wanting to animate give up at some point. The ability to cancel the subscription also means that changing to a new piece of software later is a much easier pill to swallow than if you had bought Toon Boom.

While I totally agree with you that they are both just tools with flaws and positives, Flash and Toon Boom were ABSOLUTELY not created with the same intention.

Poor phrasing on my part, I meant that they are both able to do 90% of the same things when it comes to animating. After that it's all little details that make up their differences. It's not like I'm recommending Microsoft Excel as an animation program.

At the end of the day they are all tools. However some tools are better for certain jobs than others. Can you mix cake batter with a hammer? Sure, but it wasn't designed to mix cakes. You can also hammer in a nail with a spoon, but why would you? Because the spoon is cheaper?

If that hammer cost 300 bucks versus 30 dollars for a month of spoon use, I'd 100% recommend trying the spoon first. In any case, that's a pretty big leap you're making. Flash and Toon Boom are much more analogous than a spoon and a hammer. It's more like a spoon versus a fork. Again, I'm not recommending that people use Excel to animate.

Anyways, it's just my opinion after 10 years of Flash work that it's not worth the energy to dedicate to that program if you're serious about animation. I do my best not to live with regrets, but I really sometimes wish someone had told me a decade ago that I should learn a good animation program instead. I'd be so much better off today. Oh well, life goes on.

I agree with a lot of your points. Flash certainly isn't the best option in plenty of circumstances. My only point is that it shouldn't be completely tossed aside simply because it isn't the best. Flash has its share of problems, but it also has its benefits. All of these things need to be weighed by the person buying the software, which is why it is included in my list and why it will continue to be included until it is unusable as an animation program.

Response to Help 2014-04-06 16:52:29

At 4/5/14 07:26 PM, dylan wrote:

Flash and Toon Boom are much more analogous than a spoon and a hammer. It's more like a spoon versus a fork. Again, I'm not recommending that people use Excel to animate.

Good points all around. In the end, it really depends on how far you want to take it I guess. You're right, as a beginner it doesn't hurt to try Flash + all Adobe for a few months and see if you want to continue. But then, if you do, I'd still recommend a real animation program for long-term. And again, that's just because I blew 10 years with Flash and am paying for it now having to essentially start over with the other programs. Flash, for actual animators, just doesn't have a future. But you're right, it works fine for the present/trial basis. :)

BBS Signature