00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Am I Competent?

1,649 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 17:35:13

Hello all, my name is Sloan. I'm new to the site, and I've been posting a few of my sketches to fill my gallery. In the introduction post on my profile page, I ramble on about my competence. However, it occurs to me that I may be bad. Let's set aside the argument of subjectivity for a moment and address some of my concerns:

1) Lack of detail
2) Improper proportions
3) Lack of color

In this thread, please feel free to give me your brutally honest appraisals.

Note: (I don't own a tablet for digital works, nor am I in possession of a scanner. The perks of being poor haven't really kicked in yet.) The Images I post in this thread will also be on my page (If you're more comfortable there)...

Thanks in advance if you've taken the time to critique me...

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 17:44:29

Yeah...Batman

Time taken=47 minutes

Using=0.7mm mechanical pencil

Comments?

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 17:46:19

Link (Legend of Zelda)

Time taken=24 minutes

Using=0.7mm mechanical pencil

Comments?

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 18:03:44

At 3/30/14 05:46 PM, sloanlone wrote: Link (Legend of Zelda)

Hi, 1st off welcome, Im kinda new to posting art here too lol.

His head seems off, im not sure why but it doesnt seem to fit the rest of the body.... could just me me though lol.
and on your batman picture, maybe try adding some shading to Bruce's face, it would give it more form

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 18:53:09

At 3/30/14 06:03 PM, xcolours wrote:
At 3/30/14 05:46 PM, sloanlone wrote: Link (Legend of Zelda)
Hi, 1st off welcome, Im kinda new to posting art here too lol.

His head seems off, im not sure why but it doesnt seem to fit the rest of the body.... could just me me though lol.
and on your batman picture, maybe try adding some shading to Bruce's face, it would give it more form

Thanks for the reply. Link's head is definitely off. I think I elongated the neck while I was constructing the shoulders. I thought the partial covering from the hat/hair would disguise it (although, it might be the camera angle, but I doubt it). As for the Batman sketch, it does look flat. The tilt of the head makes it difficult to tell which direction he's actually facing. The eyes are also to close together, which makes the brow look too large. Shading would definitely help even out the ratio in the sketch (again, it might be the camera angle). Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 19:03:01

The Zone tan looks nice and appear to have its own unique style to it.

The Batman is good too with its' lines drawn out looking to be ready to be shaded (though you don't have to, which what makes it look nice and appear to be anatomically correct). Bruce on the other hand has a very ugly beard.....and is the polar opposite of how I describe your Batman.

The scarf broke Link's neck.

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 19:11:12

At 3/30/14 07:03 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: Bruce on the other hand has a very ugly beard.....and is the polar opposite of how I describe your Batman.
The scarf broke Link's neck.

Thanks for the reply.

Agreed, and agreed.

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 19:16:42

ya no problem, i look forward to seeing more from you in the future :D

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 19:22:16

...I really don't know.

Time taken=22 minutes

Using=Bic Pen (black)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 19:23:46

Marie Kanker Fan Art

Time taken=25 minutes

Using=No.2 Pencil

Comments?

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 19:25:40

The image used for my Icon

Time taken=14 minutes

Using=Fine Point Sharpie

Comments?

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 19:49:46

Jelsa. It captivated the web for around two weeks. The shipping crowd is so very fickle these days.

Time taken=52 minutes

Using=Fine Point Sharpie, Colored Pencil

Comments/Reviews would be appreciated...because this looks really wonky.

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 20:20:06

Suff

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 20:22:14

Even more stuff, which also happens to be fluff.

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 21:15:54

Older Lisa Simpson

Time taken=25 minutes

Using=Bic Pen (red, black)

Comments?

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 21:19:33

Invader Zim Fan Art

Tak-The Hideous New Girl

Time taken=15 minutes

Using=Fine Point Sharpie

Are you noticing any trends in my approach to anatomy...?

Am I competent. I'm beginning to doubt myself.

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 22:28:18

Returning to the subject concerning your talent, which I assume is what you're referring to...
We all walk different paths, at different paces. Your middle may be my beginning, or vice-versa. Don't be too disheartened if you feel there are people that are better than you. They've either been at it longer or paid the price for it, oftentimes both. You don't get something for nothing :c

That said, if you're ever hoping to see a marked improvement in your mastery of anatomy, details and coloring, there's no better way to learn than stepping out of your comfort zone and looking at the world around you. Dabble a bit in realism, draw by observation, try a few different mediums like charcoal or pastel. I can assure you, your art will only be better for it. Should you ever feel you've maybe experimented for too long, nothing stops you from coming back to what you're familiar with and applying what you've learned to your own art style. You may be surprised how seamlessly your mind will mix it all together.

I also find it's essential to take breaks if you've been at a drawing for too long and are growing frustrated with certain details. Sometimes taking a 10 to 15 minute break will allow you to come back with a fresher, more relaxed perspective and you may spot errors or find solutions you hadn't previously noticed before. Another neat trick is to bring your paper up to a light source every dozen minutes or so and flip the sheet horizontally. Thanks to the paper being see-through in the light, it flips your art horizontally as well and the change in perspective makes it personally easier for me to spot mistakes I may have otherwise missed from looking at the same angle for too long.

All in all though, it all comes down to experience. The more you draw, the better. And never forget that variety is the spice of life :3

All of this, of course, is shared with the assumption you're serious about art. Incidentally, it somewhat applies to pretty much anything in life that requires effort to master.

Deep words, there.

BBS Signature

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-30 22:45:13

At 3/30/14 10:28 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: All in all though, it all comes down to experience. The more you draw, the better. And never forget that variety is the spice of life :3

All of this, of course, is shared with the assumption you're serious about art. Incidentally, it somewhat applies to pretty much anything in life that requires effort to master.

Deep words, there.

Thank you for the lengthy response. Some of my self-doubt has been assuaged by ornery scouting me. (Which was a pleasant surprise.) The advice is indeed appreciated.

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-03-31 11:21:04

Time taken=28 minutes

Using=Sakura Micron 005

This is one of the cleaner pieces I've made today...

Any comments/reviews would be appreciated.

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-02 16:00:25

This is so ugly, but I'm posting it anyway. I always seem to be mass producing piss poor fan art utilizing contemptible styles
(not to mention the low resolution, inaccurate anatomical structure, and content)...

Time taken=48 minutes

Using=Sakura Micron (005, 03), Colored Pencil

Comments/reviews would be appreciated.

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-02 16:02:33

Still pandering to a slowly dwindling fan base...check. I'm aware of the problems with this image (the forced perspective, Dibs freakish forearm, and the lack of shadow/shading results in lack of depth, etc...), but as a doodle, it really isn't meant to be taken too seriously. I'm also extremely lazy.

Time taken=39 minutes

Using=Fine Point Sharpie

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-02 16:04:09

Time taken=52 minutes

Using=Bic Pen (black, red, pink), Colored pencil

Any comments?

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-03 02:13:02

Well, not a lot of work went into this. Just so much pointless ink. Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman'...everyone is a fan. (It contains some of the best interpretations of abstract personifications I've ever seen.) My pathetic style doesn't capture any of the essence of the originals, but I'm posting anyway. Fan art people, It's just fan art.

Time taken=39 minutes

Using=Sakura Micron 08

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-03 02:29:06

At 4/3/14 02:13 AM, sloanlone wrote: Well, not a lot of work went into this. Just so much pointless ink. Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman'...everyone is a fan. (It contains some of the best interpretations of abstract personifications I've ever seen.) My pathetic style doesn't capture any of the essence of the originals, but I'm posting anyway. Fan art people, It's just fan art.

Time taken=39 minutes

Using=Sakura Micron 08

A) You need to stop with that self-loathing you silly!
Mate I think you have a great style, it for some reason reminds me of Samurai Jack, and trust me that is not bad. I suggest maybe try and make something bigger, try some backgrounds, make a composition, I would love to see some of your characters doing something awesome. So go for it, make more than just little sketches, go for a full on piece.

B) All that being sad, what I mean to say is you are quite competent! Keep drawing you silly!

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-04 23:25:14

Why does she have the Grass Sword? What's with the black strap?

Time taken=41 minutes

Using=Sakura Micron 005, Colored Pencil

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-04 23:27:43

That arm is too long.

Time taken=44 minutes

Using=Fine Point Sharpie, Colored Pencil, Bic Pen (red)

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-06 07:50:58

A quick fifteen minute sketch for an Invader Zim character...

Using=No.2 Pencil, Bic Pen (black, blue)

Comments?

Am I Competent?

Response to Am I Competent? 2014-04-06 14:08:08

Gotta say, you're not as bad as you put yourself out to be. I understand where you're coming from, but honestly there have been a lot worse people who have posted on this forum that claimed to be all that and a bag of chips. As self-conscious as you may be, at least in a sense you're more humble than anything, and that's a good quality to possess. As long as you're open to improving and keep working at your craft, you'll get better. May take some time, but you'll get better. (Nothing's instant, yo.)

As far as right now, you have some interesting fanart going on for different series. I'm particular to your Adventure Time arts because AT is boss. I take it some of these fanarts have your own emotional twist to them?

One thing I would suggest is, to better yourself, browse different art-dedicated forums like conceptart.org (I think that's the right address, google it anyway) and check out the sketchbook section. It's super inspiring to see other people's progress in their pencil works. Usually you'll see really pro-level artists posting just figure sketches and other things that are pretty basic compared to their widely known stuff. It's also a great resource for learning the kind of things you could try drawing to help improve your troubled areas or general ideas to try to just expand your horizons a bit.

Just some food for though, either way, keep posting. It's always fun to watch people's progress.

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."