00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

When your PC doesn't meet min reqs?

1,102 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What happens?

I know in the old days it would exit to DOS with a message stating what your computer needs in order to run the game.

But what happens nowadays? Does it just let you run the game below minimum anyway?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-27 20:22:35

At 3/27/14 08:07 PM, Painbringer wrote: But what happens nowadays? Does it just let you run the game below minimum anyway?

Can't speak for all games, but when I tried to install Diablo 3 on my old computer, it outright told me that the computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements and the setup closed.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-27 20:44:03

Whenever I would try the game would install but it would either close right away or freeze at a splash screen.

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-27 21:07:48

For me they either freeze at the splash screen, or if my PC is strong enough to not freeze at the splash screen, it will play below ten fps.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-27 21:53:37

Installed a game on my Macbook 2009 with the lowest graphics and resolution possible and the games frame-rate was awful. Not sure if Macbooks are different or not. I would assume they're not because it's basically a laptop installed with the OSX operating system and they give you option to install windows 7 or windows 8 too.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-27 21:58:32

Has there ever been a game where it berated a user for not having the bare minimum specs required?

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-27 21:58:37

Games are sometimes screwed up anyways. I remember either Batman Arkham Asylum pc or another game that told me my pc desktop rig wasn't powerful enough to run it even tho I was probably on an Amd Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz at the time. I know thats not the best processor but the installation obviously lied about my pc not meeting the requirements... Game installed fine still.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-27 22:01:43

At 3/27/14 08:44 PM, Valjylmyr wrote: Whenever I would try the game would install but it would either close right away or freeze at a splash screen.

It could just be a driver issue.

One time my Rage quit because there were no longer any new official drivers for my older laptop's Radeon graphics card.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-27 22:52:36

freeze or be extremely slow and or laggy

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-28 00:20:57

Depends on the exact game in question and how good the programmers were who worked on the game and how much effort they put into it. Although these days I wouldn't expect very much out of them since most tend to be sloppy coders who don't properly test and rely too much on hardware picking up the slack as an excuse to be even lazier in their coding.

In short, expect no less than freezing your machine, possibly corrupting files, and almost assuredly not uninstalling correctly if/when you choose to uninstall. Possibly a trojan will be installed with the game as well under the pretenses of cheat prevention. It might stop some game cheating but is still malware, a possible backdoor into your computer, and almost assuredly won't uninstall if/when you choose to uninstall the game. It might even conflict with other software you use.

If none of that sounds good to you, just do what I do. Stick with console gaming, older PC games, open source games, and web games.

Sucks to just say "No" to modern PC gaming, but that's exactly what you should say until they stop bundling malware, stop with the aggressive DRM, and learn to properly clean up after themselves. Only buy PC games from companies if you know they meet these requirements (Almost none of them meet those reqs). Open source games, though generally less sophisticated, likely meet those reqs.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-28 00:26:21

At 3/27/14 10:52 PM, kazumazkan wrote: freeze or be extremely slow and or laggy

This does happen often.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-28 00:33:54

At 3/28/14 12:26 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 3/27/14 10:52 PM, kazumazkan wrote: freeze or be extremely slow and or laggy
This does happen often.

forgot to mention when the game crash's and or exists on its own
like what happened with insurgency for a little while but i guess i update fixed that but the game is still slow

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-28 00:36:12

At 3/28/14 12:26 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
forgot to mention when the game crash's and or exists on its own
like what happened with insurgency for a little while but i guess an update fixed that but the game is still slow

*fixed

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-03-28 11:41:13

Sometimes it will crash and sometimes it will run and you will get a 1 digit frame rate. I haven't had to deal with that shit since I built this PC in summer of 2013.

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-04-10 17:01:09

i played starcraft 2 and i didn't meat min reqs but i could still play it but it kept crashing every 10 minutes

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-04-10 17:32:19

I've never had my laptop freeze before, I usually just get very low frame rates.

Although for Civilization V I eventually got distorted images along with a low frame rate when there was too much on screen.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to When your PC doesn't meet min reqs? 2014-04-10 18:44:19

I recently bought Carmageddon: Reincarnation and it ran really slow on my new laptop - Even at the lowest settings!

I later realized that the game defaulted to the inferior Intel 4000 integrated graphics, instead of the proper Geforce GTX discrete graphics. So I went to the NVidia Control Panel and fixed it - It ran smoothly at 1080P afterwards.

Since the game asks for discrete graphics, I actually ran it below minimum specs.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature