00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KushB just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Stereo to mono in audacity

814 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Stereo to mono in audacity 2014-03-25 20:20:30

I'm trying to get the filesize in my game down. I noticed all of the songs are stereo, with a left and right audio track, when I export a mp3, the options I see are 'joint stereo' and 'stereo'. is joint stereo the same as mono? The filesize seems to be the same, I even converted the stereo track to mono and the filesize didn't change. I'm assuming that half samples would mean half the file size.

Am I going about this the wrong way, or with the wrong mentality? Do you have any tips to lower the file size? I've already lowered the quality to 64 kbps.

Response to Stereo to mono in audacity 2014-03-25 21:29:13

At 3/25/14 08:20 PM, GeoKureli wrote: I'm trying to get the filesize in my game down. I noticed all of the songs are stereo, with a left and right audio track, when I export a mp3, the options I see are 'joint stereo' and 'stereo'. is joint stereo the same as mono? The filesize seems to be the same, I even converted the stereo track to mono and the filesize didn't change. I'm assuming that half samples would mean half the file size.

Am I going about this the wrong way, or with the wrong mentality? Do you have any tips to lower the file size? I've already lowered the quality to 64 kbps.

don't think putting putting it in mono should lower file size its still a similar amount of bits - try turning the bit depth down.
64kbps is verry low quality think some devs host the audio online and then program the game to load the sound from wherever its hosted
mono should just make the low quality less noticeable

Response to Stereo to mono in audacity 2014-03-25 22:47:01

At 3/25/14 09:29 PM, AeroMusic wrote: think some devs host the audio online and then program the game to load the sound from wherever its hosted

yeah, I would go that route, but there's a chance the player could reach the part of the game that needs the audio before it's loaded. I could make it show the load screen until it's done loading from an external source, but then I'm in the same boat. It's not that my file is too big to put on newgrounds, I just don't want the player to wait to long to load.

mono should just make the low quality less noticeable

does that go for joint stereo too?