00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What if...

3,315 Views | 44 Replies

What if... 2014-03-22 20:58:38

This thread will essentially ask 2 questions, although you don't have to give your answer both questions, I would prefer if you did.

1st Question: What if 4kids NEVER DUBBED One Piece, do you think that One Piece would've surpassed "Nardo the ninja (and his magical quest to save his boyfriend Sausage)" and "Bleh (A.K.A. Yu Yu Hakusho 2.0)" levels of popularity, or do you think that it would've floundered like it did with 4kids at the helm.

2nd Question: What if 4kids STILL DUBBED One Piece, just how bad do you think they would've fucked up Skypiea, Water 7 and so on,
They probably would've deleted certain characters and arcs (Such as Ivankov and the Marineford War) and they probably would've airbrushed some shorts on Franky and make him sound like a cross between a Surfer and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and they probably would've fucked up Brook's backstory and make him sound like Grim from Billy and Mandy.

What if...

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-22 21:17:05

At 3/22/14 09:08 PM, Entice wrote: What the hell is wrong with you

What do you mean by that?

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-22 23:31:37

At 3/22/14 09:17 PM, supermofo wrote:
At 3/22/14 09:08 PM, Entice wrote: What the hell is wrong with you
What do you mean by that?

I think he means to ask, "Just what the hell is wrong with you?"

Protect the Muska.

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 00:13:53

4kids stopped dubbing One Piece?

nothing of value was lost, that dub was a clusterfuck from what i've heard

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 00:20:38

At 3/22/14 11:31 PM, Grotty wrote:

I think he means to ask, "Just what the hell is wrong with you?"

Okay, what I really meant to say was why the hell does he think there's something wrong with me?!

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 00:30:36

At 3/23/14 12:13 AM, oxy78414 wrote: 4kids stopped dubbing One Piece?

You don't know the half of it...

One Piece 4kids dub

P.S. The image below is without a doubt one of the most vexing changes 4kids made to One Piece.

What if...

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 00:59:04

4kids is bankrupt and DED.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 02:25:57

At 3/23/14 12:36 AM, Voltage wrote:
At 3/23/14 12:30 AM, supermofo wrote:

You don't know the half of it...

One Piece 4kids dub

P.S. The image below is without a doubt one of the most vexing changes 4kids made to One Piece.
Censorship causes kittens to cry and volcanoes to become sad and never want to warm the planet to save us all because 4dicks is commanded by the Fourth Reich, also known as the FCC :(

what?

i think it's more along the lines of trying to make it "kid-friendly", as is kinda in... oh, i dunno, their name.

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 08:12:53

I never watched One Piece, and I really don't care to watch 4Kids anymore. I would rather shit into my own goddamn hand than waste time with that network.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 08:28:07

At 3/22/14 08:58 PM, supermofo wrote: 1st Question: What if 4kids NEVER DUBBED One Piece, do you think that One Piece would've surpassed "Nardo the ninja (and his magical quest to save his boyfriend Sausage)" and "Bleh (A.K.A. Yu Yu Hakusho 2.0)" levels of popularity, or do you think that it would've floundered like it did with 4kids at the helm.

One Piece is less popular than Naruto and Bleach? First time hearing that

2nd Question: What if 4kids STILL DUBBED One Piece, just how bad do you think they would've fucked up Skypiea, Water 7 and so on,

They would have given up after Skypiea Arc and say that the Golden Bell there is One Piece and end the story there

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 14:51:00

At 3/23/14 12:36 AM, Voltage wrote:

Censorship causes kittens to cry and volcanoes to become sad and never want to warm the planet to save us all because 4dicks is commanded by the Fourth Reich, also known as the FCC :(

Well I'm not sure that I would go so far as to call them the Fourth Reich, but the very existence of the FCC certainly is VERY Un-American.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 14:53:43

What if...kids never watched this fucking monotonous drawn-out Anime?

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 14:54:15

At 3/23/14 12:59 AM, YomToxic wrote: 4kids is bankrupt and DED.

Not truly dead unfortunately... :(

4kids reinvented themselves

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 14:58:51

F**K 4KIDS!!!!!! I HATE THOSE PIECES OF S**T THEY RUINED ANIME I WILL GO TO THEIR HEADQWARTERS AND BURN IT TO THER GROUND WHOS WITH ME

What if...

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 15:08:04

At 3/23/14 02:25 AM, oxy78414 wrote:

what?

i think it's more along the lines of trying to make it "kid-friendly", as is kinda in... oh, i dunno, their name.

The whole idea of "kid-friendly" is a fucking joke, kids shouldn't be kept in the dark about the REAL world for such a big chunk of their life and be made to believe that the world is nothing but Rainbows and Unicorns and Beautiful Meadows, they should have aired one of these anime completely uncut just for the lulz and to see all of the parents rage hard about how their little billys and sallys might be TRAUMATIZED!

A big fuck you to all of the conservative parents of the world

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 15:43:32

At 3/23/14 08:12 AM, Phobotech wrote: I never watched One Piece, and I really don't care to watch 4Kids anymore. I would rather shit into my own goddamn hand than waste time with that network.

I would recommend watching the One Piece anime, but due to dodgy art quality and abysmal pacing, you'd be better off reading the One Piece manga.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 15:46:30

At 3/23/14 08:24 AM, ManDeep wrote:

Oh dear they changed the cigarette into a lollypop, now my precious anime is ruined as a whole.
Go fuck yourself.

The kid in me wants to say "Ur a faget!"

But the adult in me wants to say "I have no need to do what your mother already did to me last night! Ba-Dum-Tss!"

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 16:05:56

One positive thing about 4kids was the voice actors. 4kids Sanji had the best voice. Now he just sounds like generic bishounen #9,000. It doesn't help that the Funimation voice actors don't even try to sound good. Do they even practice before recording or do they just do their dubs in one take?
As arbitrary as the edits were, at least the voice actors tried to sound good.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 17:44:48

At 3/23/14 02:54 PM, supermofo wrote:
At 3/23/14 12:59 AM, YomToxic wrote: 4kids is bankrupt and DED.
Not truly dead unfortunately... :(

4kids reinvented themselves

OH SNAP. OH CRUD. GET THE RAIL GUNS!

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 22:16:50

Yeah. That happened back in like 2006 or something like that.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 23:07:44

The real question is, why does anyone over the age of 12 watch shōnen?

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-23 23:46:28

At 3/23/14 03:08 PM, supermofo wrote: they should have aired one of these anime completely uncut just for the lulz and to see all of the parents rage hard about how their little billys and sallys might be TRAUMATIZED!

Yeah, sure, let's spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuits just for the "lulz"

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-24 00:57:15

At 3/23/14 11:46 PM, dx5231 wrote:

Yeah, sure, let's spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuits just for the "lulz"

With how much revenue companies like them make, that would be like pock marks to them, 4kids isn't/wasn't some mom and pop backwater hillbilly broadcasting station, they're/they were a major company,

and if people would really sue over something so ludicrous, then I'm stymied as to why they even exist as human beings, other than to just be whiny imbeciles who have to constantly shit on the giant picnic that is life...

Faggots can't get married! Abortion is murder! fuck the poor people getting handouts! let em starve to death! 1st Amendment? Pfft! Let's censor the hell out of the media since we're too fucking lazy to be parents!

Unfortunately every country has a stick lodged up it's ass when it comes to children, THE POOR CHILDREN! but there are variables, such as how large the stick is and how far it's lodged up said country's ass, unfortunately America has a dinosauric one lodged ALL THE WAY up there, but there are alternatives to censoring the media to shit on everyone's picnic, such as...

1. Using a V-chip or some form of parental controls

2A. Letting them see anything and not keeping them in the dark about so many aspects of life, such as where babies come from, but being there with them to help them through it if there's a problem or if they have questions.

2B. Essentially the same as above but without being there with them, which isn't the best idea, but sometimes figuring things out themselves is okay, but not usually.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-24 02:51:28

At 3/23/14 11:07 PM, Earthmover wrote: The real question is, why does anyone over the age of 12 watch shōnen?

weed, nostalgia, and it's fun

At 3/23/14 10:16 PM, Viper wrote:
Yeah. That happened back in like 2006 or something like that.

fuck man, i haven't actually watched it in about that long, really?

Response to What if... 2014-03-24 04:06:51

At 3/24/14 03:42 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: Anime Is Unamerican

--supergandhi64

No Shit, Sherlock

--supermofo

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-24 18:59:31

At 3/24/14 03:05 AM, Decimating wrote: 4kids can eat my dead cock.

You can say that again.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-24 20:06:41

At 3/23/14 03:49 PM, ManDeep wrote:

Hahahaha, that's pretty funny. Not in the way you intended though.

I wasn't intending to be funny, but if you intention was to be annoying, then you get an A+ for your efforts.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-24 20:58:53

At 3/23/14 08:28 AM, Pokemonpoeguygcn wrote:
One Piece is less popular than Naruto and Bleach? First time hearing that

I'm talking about in the USA, One Piece DOMINATES and I mean DOMINATES in the East Asian and European markets (or at least that's what I've heard).

They would have given up after Skypiea Arc and say that the Golden Bell there is One Piece and end the story there

Well, that's doubtful, considering that 4kids cares SO MUCH about money, meaning they would be overjoyed at the series huge number of episodes (and less than thrilled about the increasingly violent and dark content of the later arcs) and be willing to milk the series of all its worth,
but if they did stop it there, at least that would mean that they wouldn't fuck up Water 7 and beyond, but I could see that idea working, they could make the treasure that they got or the bell One Piece and change Roger's message about the true history and the Poneglyphs to some congratulatory message for getting to the place where One Piece is hidden.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-24 22:20:02

At 3/23/14 02:53 PM, nonono1 wrote: What if...kids never watched this fucking monotonous drawn-out Anime?

Well, the anime does kind of suck, as most anime do, since they always drag the story out like a motherfucker so that they don't catch up to the manga, that's why the HST should get a DB Kai redux after they're all completed.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to What if... 2014-03-26 16:09:57

At 3/23/14 02:58 PM, CheezNapkin wrote: F**K 4KIDS!!!!!! I HATE THOSE PIECES OF S**T THEY RUINED ANIME I WILL GO TO THEIR HEADQWARTERS AND BURN IT TO THER GROUND WHOS WITH ME

The NSA is watching you... :)

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature