TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 12:33 PM Reply

Most Follow Fridays, I largely feature artists who recently made the front page. This week, however, I've been noticing A LOT of movies that are front page potentials, but haven't made front page because it's a pretty crowded place and I have a hard time balancing crowd-pleasers with up-and-comers.

It is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT to follow these artists if you'd like to see more of their stuff. Most of them barely have any followers so the follows will be extremely encouraging. It will also ensure that you SEE their next upload if it doesn't make front page. To follow someone, click the heart on their user page, or next to their name in the credits below the submission. Our feed system has a big update coming next month!

Try to watch as many of these as you can, then tell me which ones you would like to see featured on the front page.

thesweepstudios made a charming Street Fight movie called "A Honorable Fight." I'm his only fan at the moment, join me!

• A Honorable Fight
    A Honorable Fight by thesweepstudios

Ryu and Ken have a friendly sparing match.

Score
    2.83 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Street Fighter fans will also enjoy this Capcom announcement spoof by sohoshuffle:

• USF4
    USF4 by sohoshuffle

His theme goes with NOTHING

Score
    3.01 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

fatjose made a Star Trek spoof with a great Picard impersonation.

• Picard Hungers!
    Picard Hungers! by fatjose

An attempt at Flash

Score
    3.42 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

CRLproductions uploaded this Half-Life spoof that gets pretty darn weird. It's also got great visuals and voice acting!

• Gordan Freeman in The XXX
    Gordan Freeman in The XXX by CRLproductions

Rise and shine Mister Freeman

Score
    3.32 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

KimoLemonHead and JudeMedli made a silly movie about plumbers.

• Misunderstanding
    Misunderstanding by KimoLemonHead

Dem plum'ers got dat shet all wrawng

Score
    3.48 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

themisterholliday attempts to answer the age-old question, "Where to babies come from?"

• Where Do Babies Come From
    Where Do Babies Come From by themisterholliday

In this animation we discover where babies come from... or not.

Score
    2.98 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

BooneBum made a movie about some creature who misplaces his face. He's only 16, can you imagine how many awesome things he's gonna make in the coming years?!

• Wat. - Face
    Wat. - Face by BooneBum

Episode 1

Score
    3.69 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Dargoni put together an awesome mix of 2D and 3D that has cops driving around, shooting guns and harassing people.

• Police Truck
    Police Truck by Dargoni

a music video of the Dead Kennedys' Police Truck, about corrupt cops.

Score
    3.40 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

FroggywithFries made a Metal Gear movie with plenty of shades of Egoraptor's voice acting but it's quality:

• MGSV: The Penis Pain
    MGSV: The Penis Pain by FroggywithFries

Snake's mission leads him to a perfectly healthy distraction.

Score
    3.58 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

After a long hiatus, Duhreetoh returned with a teaser for his upcoming Merry Melony project!

• Merry Melony: Book 1 (pg
    Merry Melony: Book 1 (pg by Duhreetoh

Merry Melony is back as an animated graphic novel.

Score
    3.79 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

I suggested he make an animated GIF, which would go over well on Tumblr but could also be FP'ed as an art portal entry:

• Merry Melony animated GIF
    Merry Melony animated GIF by Duhreetoh

Per Mr. Fulp, an animated GIF excerpt from Merry Melony http://merrymelony.tumblr.com

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

If you don't know what the excitement is with Merry Melony, check out this movie from nine years ago, it left tons of us wanting more:

• Merry Melony ep.1
    Merry Melony ep.1 by Duhreetoh

Melony is caught in a dream that has more to it than first meets eye.

Score
    4.26 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

steveham made a movie about gliding:

• Dauntless Dan
    Dauntless Dan by steveham

A tiny comic strip hero encounters problems over Wiltshire

Score
    3.52 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

ieatsadfood has that dark and twisted vibe that a lot of NG folks like. If you're a fan of Firth, start paying attention to this guy!

• chicken and egg
    chicken and egg by ieatsadfood

diploma

Score
    2.80 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

WofkWengel uploaded a bunch of his movies this week, they are all silly with odd surprises.

• Hang
    Hang by WofkWengel

A heart warming story

Score
    3.24 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Jokawik #8
    Jokawik #8 by WofkWengel

The 8th

Score
    3.53 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Pet
    Pet by WofkWengel

It's sooo cute!! XPPP must see

Score
    3.59 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

The Lock Legion is still kicking, with Madanimation uploading this:

• [LL] - Petting Zoo
    [LL] - Petting Zoo by Madanimation

Wine and Dots take a trip to the local Zoo!

Score
    3.42 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

Fnorkus made this, with a twist:

• Prostitute
    Prostitute by Fnorkus

This video contains a prostitute.

Score
    2.73 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

I heard this song by Nevrosia666 in Battle for Great Britron Episode 2 and it brought me back to the industrial bands I loved in the 90s... Great stuff!

• Evil INC. 5.0 - Liquid
    Evil INC. 5.0 - Liquid by Nevrosia666

Evil INC . - Liquid Allegory (w/Vocals)

Score
    4.20 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Industrial
    Popularity

Here's his latest:

• DEFTRAK - Subliminal Hate
    DEFTRAK - Subliminal Hate by Nevrosia666

DEFTRAK - Subliminal Hate

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Industrial
    Popularity

Also check out BFGB:

• BFGB Episode 1
    BFGB Episode 1 by JovialBackache

Towns turning into robots and marital disputes, just another day in Surrey

Score
    3.61 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+
  • BFGB Episode 2
    BFGB Episode 2 by JovialBackache

The battle begins!! New Maltron does battle with his sworn enemies

Score
    3.65 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

This series is written by JovialBackache, characters designed by JDDMSTUDIO, animated by cjbouchermedia and voiced by Eddache. I actually did front page the latest episode, but it wasn't up for too long. Should it go back up?

Everything in this post (sans Nevrosia666's music and the original Merry Melony) was from the past THREE DAYS here on Newgrounds and I excluded today's daily winners. Makes you wonder what else you're missing, right? We used to have an annual treasure hunt but it fell apart in 2011 when I never finished parsing my list of 1000+ gems suggested by the community. If I ever manage to finish that, we'll need the next hunt to focus on 2011-2014.

In other news, read about what I-Smel is up to and listen to this podcast interview with BoMToons.

Stencyl Jam 2014 is wrapping up in one week so expect some cool games as people crunch to meet the deadline. The latest entry to hit the front page is Gravity Den, by Denver2003.

• Gravity Den
    Gravity Den by Denver2003

Change the gravity to control the hero!

Score
    3.64 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Enjoy your weekend! Here in the Northeastern United States, we're actually having "happy weather" at the moment.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
BoMToons
BoMToons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 01:09 PM Reply

Hey, that's cool that the soundcloud link opens up right in-line like that!

Asandir
Asandir
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 36
Gamer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 01:12 PM Reply

It's nice that you want to convert all of us into hipsters but I don't want to spend all my money on Starbucks coffee.

Without truth, there is no justice.
Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users
Portal and Icon moderator

BBS Signature
SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 01:17 PM Reply

Some cool people, nice animations and audio.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Pkmn2
Pkmn2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Animator
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 01:19 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 01:09 PM, BoMToons wrote: Hey, that's cool that the soundcloud link opens up right in-line like that!

That's actually pretty neat, I must say.
Perhaps this encourages more users from soundcloud to post here more.

Also, these are all fantastic people, Tom. Thanks for sharing.

Nintentrix. Presto Sprites! Retro Sights!

BBS Signature
CallumBowen
CallumBowen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Animator
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 01:40 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: After a long hiatus, Duhreetoh returned with a teaser for his upcoming Merry Melony project!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/635918

Oh Jesus!

LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR!

Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 01:41 PM Reply

I hope I get my entry for Stencyl Jam finished to the deadline.. Never worked with Stencyl before and it's really fun!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 01:43 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 01:41 PM, Wiesi wrote: I hope I get my entry for Stencyl Jam finished to the deadline.. Never worked with Stencyl before and it's really fun!

I'm especially curious to see what you have coming!

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 02:06 PM Reply

I just want to confirm April Foolz 2 is done and will be out in a couple weeks.

BBS Signature
BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: I actually did front page the latest episode, but it wasn't up for too long. Should it go back up?

It seems like a lot of time and effort went into this. The authors deserve to be highlighted. The genre is unusual. In the Author Comments underneath the first episode, the show is described as an animated "political sci fi comedy". That is a first of a kind for me (unless maybe you count "Rick and Morty").

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 02:32 PM Reply

New batches of awesome flash!

Canas
Canas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 02:55 PM Reply

Great post for all you bespectacled flash hipsters out there.

Celegon
Celegon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Gamer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 02:56 PM Reply

We'll see how long our "happy weather" will last. Even though it's Spring, the weather and temps are anything but that.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 02:56 PM, Celegon wrote: We'll see how long our "happy weather" will last. Even though it's Spring, the weather and temps are anything but that.

Forecast is calling for snow on Tuesday. :(

BBS Signature
Madanimation
Madanimation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 03:09 PM Reply

AM I MAINSTREAM YET TOM

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

BBS Signature
Celegon
Celegon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Gamer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 03:02 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/21/14 02:56 PM, Celegon wrote: We'll see how long our "happy weather" will last. Even though it's Spring, the weather and temps are anything but that.
Forecast is calling for snow on Tuesday. :(

Great. By the time June rolls around, we'll skip Spring and go into Summer weather. As long as we don't have to shovel this crap, I'm happy.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 03:09 PM, Celegon wrote: Great. By the time June rolls around, we'll skip Spring and go into Summer weather. As long as we don't have to shovel this crap, I'm happy.

I still have to clean up a ton of fallen branches in my yard, my branch pile looks like beavers tried to build a giant fort.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 03:09 PM, Madanimation wrote: AM I MAINSTREAM YET TOM

We should assign status badges based on fans...

0 = Nobody
1- 49 = Totally Underground
50-999 = Up and Coming
1k+ = Mainstream
10k+ = NG Royalty
40k+ = Egoraptor

BBS Signature
Seprix
Seprix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 03:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:

0 = Nobody
50-999 = Up and Coming
1k+ = Mainstream
10k+ = NG Royalty
40k+ = Egoraptor

Haha! Lol..

We should have nobody artist, games and audio sections too perhaps.

Amateur Musician, SEPRIX!

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 03:27 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 03:23 PM, Remorph wrote: We should have nobody artist, games and audio sections too perhaps.

Would be cool as part of a discovery engine to let you filter by like, people with the highest scores but least fans...

We want to do a number of things to encourage more subscribing. For example, when you click the heart on a submission, we might pop in a box that gives you the option to follow the individual contributors, or click a button to follow ALL of them in one swoop.

We could also have something on a page of a user's favorite people, where you can click a button to follow ALL of them. So if you determine that someone on NG has excellent taste and everyone they follow is probably awesome, you can just jump onboard with that.

And of course we'd like to have a recommendation system that suggests people you should be following... The plan for that is manually curated lists that group artists together in clusters (and artists can exist in multiple clusters), so if you like an artist who is dark and disturbing, for example, it would suggest other dark and disturbing artists.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 03:58 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 03:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: We want to do a number of things to encourage more subscribing. For example, when you click the heart on a submission, we might pop in a box that gives you the option to follow the individual contributors, or click a button to follow ALL of them in one swoop.
And of course we'd like to have a recommendation system that suggests people you should be following...

I think both of those are pretty good ideas, recommendations especially. Do you think it would be possible to search for users like "dark and disturbing artists"? Like giving users tags (or searching through their submissions for tags) and adding an option to search for users.

Still wanna see my follow increment their number of followers without having to refresh the page.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 03:58 PM, MSGhero wrote: I think both of those are pretty good ideas, recommendations especially. Do you think it would be possible to search for users like "dark and disturbing artists"? Like giving users tags (or searching through their submissions for tags) and adding an option to search for users.

Still wanna see my follow increment their number of followers without having to refresh the page.

If we got it done you would be able to access the lists. As for direct user search, lately I've been keen on having our search just load up Google results in an iframe. We'll just never be able to search the site as well as Google. The downside is the google results aren't as pretty as ours since they don't always pull in thumbnails and they mix EVERYTHING together and prioritize our tag results pages... We could beautify it if we used their API but that would get really expensive because people do tons of searches.

Agreed about the instant update - I love bells and whistles like that, just hard to prioritize them when we're always spread thin.

BBS Signature
glazov123
glazov123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Animator
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 04:03 PM Reply

0 = Nobody
50-999 = Up and Coming
1k+ = Mainstream
10k+ = NG Royalty
40k+ = Egoraptor

[shitty post alert]

This idea seems rather awesome already...
...but i wonder if anyone hs become Egoraptor yet... (besides Egoraptor himself that is)

"Atarashii jikan ni youkoso, ningen..." ~Aoi Shinigami

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 04:03 PM, glazov123 wrote: This idea seems rather awesome already...
...but i wonder if anyone hs become Egoraptor yet... (besides Egoraptor himself that is)

You can see that here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/rankings/bookmarks

That URL should really say "fans" instead of "bookmarks"

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 04:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: If we got it done you would be able to access the lists. As for direct user search, lately I've been keen on having our search just load up Google results in an iframe. We'll just never be able to search the site as well as Google. The downside is the google results aren't as pretty as ours since they don't always pull in thumbnails and they mix EVERYTHING together and prioritize our tag results pages... We could beautify it if we used their API but that would get really expensive because people do tons of searches.

There was an internet and search engines long before Google, is it really that hard to make a good search page? How about gently ripping off IMDB's advanced search model/page? I know we don't have as many searchable tags with our ancient db... but adding 'search between (date/score/views) and (date/score/views)' fields might work...

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 04:24 PM Reply

I'm glad to see there's still a high standard of cartoons on this site.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
CRLproductions
CRLproductions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 04:34 PM Reply

Wow, dude, thanks for this. Seriously, thats really awesome of you to do for all these very talented people, as well as myself.

glazov123
glazov123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Animator
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 04:44 PM Reply

At 3/21/14 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote:
You can see that here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/rankings/bookmarks

That URL should really say "fans" instead of "bookmarks"

...*looks at it* I'll take that as no

"Atarashii jikan ni youkoso, ningen..." ~Aoi Shinigami

supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 07:25 PM Reply

A Lot Of Talent! It Would Be A Shame If It Were To Go Unrecognized

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
morcov
morcov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR! Mar. 21st, 2014 @ 08:15 PM Reply

0 = Nobody
50-999 = Up and Coming
1k+ = Mainstream
10k+ = NG Royalty
40k+ = Egoraptor

tfw up and coming

LIKE these guys b4 they're POPULAR!