New Topic Respond to this Topic
buriedantenna
buriedantenna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Suggestion to voice actors Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 10:27 AM Reply

I was recently going through the voice acting advertisement thread, looking for people to work on my series. I started to notice that most of the (well acted and produced) demos were wrong for my project, and all for exactly the same reason, so I thought I'd make a suggestion which might be useful to voice actors who are looking for projects to link up with.

Virtually all of the demo reels are done in an anime style. I understand this is a really popular style of animation (I'm into it myself) but there is a particular style of voicing acting that just works for anime, but sounds horribly overacted for anything else. For my project, I'm looking for people to play parts in a more serious way. I'm more concerned with subtlety, realism and acting ability. By all means, include your full range of anime style villains, heroes, maniacs, demons and comedy sidekicks, there are a lot of really talented people here when it comes to that stuff. Just include some parts that show you can play a straight piece of drama too.

Some people start their reels with a flat read in their natural voice, before they launch into their wacky characters— that's a good idea. Also, why not throw in a few straight pieces, like maybe something that would work for the kind of character you'd see on a HBO TV series? It's probably worth it, as I can't be the only person who's looking for this kind of actor.

Just a suggestion anyway, I hope it's helpful.

stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Suggestion to voice actors Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 10:50 AM Reply

If I get what you're saying, you mean people are going for goofy voices. And it's just that people want those goofier gigs. Unfortunately you might have to search harder or try and find what you can in those goofy/anime-esque voice demos.

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

buriedantenna
buriedantenna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Suggestion to voice actors Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 10:58 AM Reply

Oh yeah, I agree with that. If you're only in the market to do that kind of voice, then I suppose my suggestion isn't to you. I'm more talking to people who might be overlooked for projects that they would enjoy, because they haven't demonstrated that they can do non-goofy just as well.

stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Suggestion to voice actors Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 11:03 AM Reply

At 3/13/14 10:58 AM, buriedantenna wrote: Oh yeah, I agree with that. If you're only in the market to do that kind of voice, then I suppose my suggestion isn't to you. I'm more talking to people who might be overlooked for projects that they would enjoy, because they haven't demonstrated that they can do non-goofy just as well.

Oh I see. Yes I agree, good point!

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook