New Topic Respond to this Topic
BlueOceans
BlueOceans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 12:36 AM Reply

In my opinion, the most difficult part of making a song is making it loud enough so listeners don't have to raise their computer volume, and this has been something I struggled with for a long time.

In order to raise the volume in my songs after the mixing, this is currently what I do:

In Fl Studio's master channel, I go into maximus and individually compress the low, medium, and high frequencies. Next, I add the fruity compressor, I don't really know how to use it, but after experimenting with it for an hour, I created a really good preset that both raises the song's volume and compresses it. Finally, I use fruity limiter, because it makes it easier to see where the peaks in volume are, to slightly increase the volume.

I hope what I'm currently doing isn't terrible.

JRob
JRob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 01:38 AM Reply

Or you could just adjust this slider

Best way to raise song volume?

6:31 PM - 平沢 唯: apparently theres an autism club on NG
6:31 PM - PandAlma: autsim club ? Seriously ?
6:31 PM - PandAlma: That may explain a lot

BBS Signature
BlueOceans
BlueOceans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 01:51 AM Reply

At 3/12/14 01:38 AM, JRob wrote: Or you could just adjust this slider

I never tried that because it seems too simple and obvious.

JRob
JRob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 02:05 AM Reply

At 3/12/14 01:51 AM, BlueOceans wrote:

Well, what you're doing is using limiting and compression to raise the volume. You really want to be careful with that because it can easily distort your song and mess with the mixing. That slider simply just adjusts the playback volume to a desirable level without changing the sound quality. I'd suggest keeping limiting and compression for mastering purposes, but if it works and sounds fine, go with it.

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 02:17 AM Reply

Simply increasing the volume of the master fader is a bad baaad idea. See what happens if you push it all the way up.
If you want to increase the volume of something without distortion use compression to reduce the max peaks. You'll lose some dynamics but that's the price you'll have to pay.

JRob
JRob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 02:19 AM Reply

At 3/12/14 02:17 AM, Braiton wrote:
Simply increasing the volume of the master fader is a bad baaad idea. See what happens if you push it all the way up.
If you want to increase the volume of something without distortion use compression to reduce the max peaks. You'll lose some dynamics but that's the price you'll have to pay.

Well, I mean using it for fine-tuning. Usually I don't have to move it much to get the desired result.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 03:33 AM Reply

At 3/12/14 02:17 AM, Braiton wrote:

^ This for a thousand times. A lot of EDM (and especially EBM) tracks compress to the maximum. They all sound very muddy. If you're doing aggrotech or hardcore techno then it probably sounds the same. But when doing something a little more dynamic (like cinematic electronic), when you raise the volume up %20 the different is shown clearly.

I play with the mixing and post processing for long time after finishing mastering the track. You can push the boundary of volume over dynamic by using ear/listening tricks. On the audio spectrum, things are maybe very different than what you listening to. Don't follow the data, follow what you believe is good.

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 12:13 PM Reply

Don't increase overall volume until the mastering process. Per each instrument, just adjust it's own (internal) volume with moderation (considering the mix). ... at least, that's what I've been told.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

SoundChris
SoundChris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 04:20 PM Reply

adlimiter!

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 04:47 PM Reply

I don't know how well versed you are but heres a few tips:

1. Load the song in audacity and literally click amplify - keep no clipping checked and it will just amplify your song as much as possible and remove any open headroom

2. Use a limiter on the master channel - not if you'll get it mastered +pushing stuff too hard/loud into a limiter gives you obvious distortion so make sure your levels are similar

people are saying compression but you lose alot of dynamics when you just run things through a compressor - I recommend if you are gonna compress like on the master then do it in small amounts

but anyway you should be able to get an acceptable sound level just by using audacity's amplify unless you're hell bent on creating super loud electronica

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 09:07 PM Reply

I just raise the volume when Mastering the WAV stems individually in Audition CC and apply a Maximiser when appropriate (AKA, Drums & FX only). No need to compromise sound quality in the sequencing stage in FL unless I'm designing a sound.

I have noticed some of the circuit modeled Plug-ins like Waves NLS & VEQ seem to let me drive the sound up louder & introduce some 'colour' into the targeted sound overall without having to use a limiter in the sequencing stage (please do not run anything like them on the Master channel. Ever) Not by too much though but it's still quite handy. Mixed in with some Hard Clip (or maybe some Multiband distortion) and having the high-end EQ'd down abit can make some awesome sounds just off of driving a sound louder through alternative means.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 3/13/14 04:47 PM, AeroMusic wrote: 2. Use a limiter on the master channel - not if you'll get it mastered +pushing stuff too hard/loud into a limiter gives you obvious distortion so make sure your levels are similar

people are saying compression but you lose alot of dynamics when you just run things through a compressor - I recommend if you are gonna compress like on the master then do it in small amounts

Limiting is a form of compression. You are bound to lose some dynamics if you use a limiter.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 11:25 PM Reply

I'm not to keen on some of the things I'm reading in this thread.

In simple terms:
- Before mastering, turn everything down and turn your speakers or headphones up to the adequate volume to work at. This way you can hear everything clearly but don't rely on compression to do the job, utterly destroying any chance of having a dynamic piece of music.
- Once you're ready for mastering, bring everything up using the faders so that the sum of all of them (on the master channel) peaks at -6db. Make sure nothing in the individual chains is saturating either (for example, effects plugins can saturate too, and cause unwanted issues).
- To master your track and make it fit loudness requirements, apply your EQ, stereo enhancement (if you want it), general polish, and then apply a maximiser (essentially a compressor and limiter combo, but a synergy of both), it will do a better job than a separate compressor and limiter (as one tends to over-react and the other tends to saturate when you don't really know what you're doing).

Now the PEAK volume is completely under control (the one on the master channel that bounces around really quickly), so you need to look at the RMS. This tells you how loud the song SEEMS by taking an average over a certain amount of time. This will tell you how loud your song really is and is essential to the mastering process, along with using your ears.

Consider that certain frequencies appear louder than others to the human ear. This will inform your mixing and mastering on a theoretical level.
http://mypages.iit.edu/~johnsonpo/acadyear/aud1.gif

Furthermore, a loud mix will use all the available space efficiently. The limiter will make your song quiet if the bass is very loud in comparison with the rest. This is because there's so much energy in the bass, it trips the compressor early.
Balance is everything in mastering.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 13th, 2014 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 3/13/14 11:25 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I'm not to keen on some of the things I'm reading in this thread.

- Sorry it's 4am. Should be "not too keen".

http://mypages.iit.edu/~johnsonpo/acadyear/aud1.gif

To explain this, 3000-5000hz is the most sensitive frequency range of the human ear (just so happens this is where the part of our voices that helps us understand speech the most, clarity and precision, happens to sit... Evolution, bitches!) that is why it dips at 3000hz - because a quieter sound can still be heard. The most sensitive frequencies are the where it dips in this chart.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 14th, 2014 @ 07:35 AM Reply

using both maximus, compressor and limiter makes your mix sound like complete trash.

the easiest way for me is to take 1 hour and just EQ everything perfectly. For a dance track, I make sure the kick is the loudest an bass 2nd loudest. (you could go about it the opposite way depending on the style of the track)

and then after you adjust each channel's volume perfectly, load up maximus and use the preset clear master rns.

make sure you turn off the panning law in audio general settings too

lel

Blacklawn
Blacklawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Best way to raise song volume? Mar. 14th, 2014 @ 10:29 AM Reply

I often use the Maximus preset "clear master", because it raises volume without sounding muddy or obnoxious.