00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why are movies getting tv shows?

2,382 Views | 39 Replies

Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 19:41:24

Reason for the thread, both these things are happening

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/ fargo tv show

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3337194/ from dusk till dawn tv show

I can understand nostalgia but this really isn't the way it's supposed to work. In the last couple of years we've seen Hannibal become a tv show people like despite shitting on the character of Will Graham. I've also heard good things about Bates Motel. A couple years ago they tried to make Napoleon Dynamite a show and the only funny thing about that is that the entire cast was still available.
At least with those there was still something of a open world to explore. Both of those movies were self contained. Even the rapidly declining dusk till dawn sequels knew to expand on their vampire mythos with new characters. But these shows are both clearly about the people from the movies that one interesting thing happened to once. Right down to Martin Freemon staring into the Brian Cranston shaped hole in your heart.
Questions of quality aside, why is this happening? People in hollywood are lazy and cocaine is expensive, I get that. But why this formula? It used to be a tv show would move up to a movie, not the other way around.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 19:48:41

I suppose this is the new upcoming Hollywood trend. This not a trend I want to see become popular.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 19:52:08

Shekels, goyim.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 19:53:30

its all about dat money

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 20:12:54

Bates Motel and Hannibal are much better than damn near all of the horror movie remakes Hollywood has burn churning out this last decade or so.

I like it right now, but it will get annoying if a bunch of shows based on old movies start coming out every season.

Dusk Til Dawn is already bugging me a bit. Did that movie really warrant a tv series? Not that It's a bad movie. but....

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 20:22:47

At 3/11/14 08:12 PM, Darthdenim wrote:

Dusk Til Dawn is already bugging me a bit. Did that movie really warrant a tv series? Not that It's a bad movie. but....

Are the Gecko brothers going to become the Supernatural guys? That's the only angle I can see here. They didn't know vampires existed until that one time where one of them died. Anti-heroes these people are not. We are told by I cannot be bothered to look up George Clooney's character's name that they are bad people who you should not follow. These are all reasons to not make a series.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 20:26:04

This isn't exactly new, though. Someone did this shit with Terminator and it was terrible.

Nickelodeon has done this with a couple movies, too.

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 20:35:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjKVOfFovQ8

Yeah. Doesn't looks that good.

I'm trying not to judge prematurely, but it doesn't look like great television from the trailer.

And that guy saying Seth's Gecko's lines from the movie....I'm sorry, but you are definitely no George Clooney.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 20:41:47

I've actually heard that MTV is developing a series based on Scream.

Really? What about Scream warrants a series?!

Why not make a series based on Hellraiser, or Phantasm. Those are franchises that have interesting mythologies that could be explored.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 20:51:25

At 3/11/14 08:46 PM, Thor wrote: Don't forget Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. while it's not a direct adaptation, it's in the same universe as the Avengers with the same director and they never stop referencing it. It's also terrible.

I like it.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 21:02:15

They should make a show starring that creep. from True Detective.

They could call it Deliverance: The Series.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 21:06:20

At 3/11/14 09:02 PM, Darthdenim wrote: They should make a show starring that creep. from True Detective.

They could call it Deliverance: The Series.

I don't think basic cable could show what you want that show to be.

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 21:28:12

At 3/11/14 09:14 PM, Slacker013 wrote: M*A*S*H made a better television show then the original movie starring Donald Sutherland as Hawkeye, I'd say it's an old formula. Trick is finding a movie worthy of a television show...

I'm a huge fan of MASH. But between that in the early 70's and the current crop can you think of a successful movie to tv adaption? Kind of a weird trend to revive.
That being said I agree with you, which makes the current choices more baffling. Aside from being from the era people nostalgia-gasm about they aren't long term stories. The gecko brothers were unsympathetic criminals until that one time they met vampires and one of them died. The whole point of Fargo was how ordinary and dull the characters were.
I'm calling it. Dusk to Dawn is trying to be Supernatural and Fargo is trying to be Breaking Bad.

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 21:43:45

I just thought of another example, zombieland http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2090440/
This one could have had traction. I would watch a funny version of walking dead. But did they have to pick up on the same characters all played by different and less talented actors?

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 22:04:49

I'm astounded you didn't mention Teen Wolf. I mean, taking a silly movie and trying to make it a drama/horror? Were they fucking serious?

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 22:05:19

I just remember that MTV has a Teen Wolf show.

Is that show any good, or what? I never hear people talking about it.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 22:08:16

You know, what the hell is happening with the tv adaption of The Terror?

I haven't heard dick about it since it was announced back in February 2013.

That book was great,

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 22:12:50

At 3/11/14 07:41 PM, stafffighter wrote: Reason for the thread, both these things are happening

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/ fargo tv show

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3337194/ from dusk till dawn tv show
Questions of quality aside, why is this happening? People in hollywood are lazy and cocaine is expensive, I get that. But why this formula? It used to be a tv show would move up to a movie, not the other way around.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea if you have the right property to work with. Granted the two examples you provided do seem like really terrible choices. Fargo is a self sustained movie so it just seems like the show is something that's thematically similar rather than an actual extension of the movie's plot. The Coen Brothers are involved though so I'd actually give it the benefit of the doubt that it explores similar territory in a meaningful way.

From Dusk Till Dawn though, Jesus Christ. The first movie exists solely to have a crazy plot twist half way through. That's the whole movie. The sequels are just by the numbers vampire movies that, as far as I know, nobody likes. It's as cold a property as you can get. Aside from the fact that vampires are played out now if someone wanted to do a vampire show why not go with Blade or Underworld or any property that has some kind of overarching lore to explore. Fuck I'd watch a Forever Knight reboot before Dusk Till Dawn.

I think there's a certain curiosity that gets piqued at the idea of movie a property from movies to TV. Shit, no one would be talking about another crappy vampire show if it hadn't been adapted from a movie. So there's a certain amount of free advertising that comes with it. If the movie was big enough there's a fan base that will check it out regardless of how crap it is.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 22:38:49

If the Revenant had ended differently, it could have become a TV show. Two vampire friends robbing drug dealers and drinking their blood.

Conan the Barbarian could be a live action show on HBO or something (cuz there'd have to be lots of tits).

The anime movie Dead Leaves could be a series. I can imagine it being shown on Toonami.

At 3/11/14 09:53 PM, NewShape wrote: Buffy the vampire slayer was a film originally.

My sister and I were fans of the movie before the show came out.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 22:49:10

At 3/11/14 10:41 PM, Slacker013 wrote:
At 3/11/14 10:12 PM, Jercurpac wrote: do a vampire show why not go with Blade
Blade failed as a television series.

I watched the pilot for that back when it came out. Absolutely the only thing I can remember about it was that Randy Quaid was in it.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-11 23:03:00

At 3/11/14 10:49 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
Blade failed as a television series.
I watched the pilot for that back when it came out. Absolutely the only thing I can remember about it was that Randy Quaid was in it.

They should do an animated Blade series. They could show it on Adult Swim or maybe AMC. I guess a comic based show would be a good companion to Comic Book Men. There was an anime, but it was poorly received, along with the other Marvel animes.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-12 00:19:07

Blade failed as a television series...

Shit, I didn't even realize it had been a TV series. Did it fail as in it didn't get an audience or was it a bad show to boot? A casual glance on Youtube makes it seem kind of low-budget. I guess it came too soon. Now that networks are putting more money into production it could be something that translates into a decent action show.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-25 18:07:33

At 3/11/14 09:29 PM, Piggler wrote: I thought Timon & Pumbaa was a pretty cool spin-off series.

That and the Aladdin TV show totally ruled. I wish they showed those on TV more.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-25 18:47:00

At 3/25/14 06:34 PM, Shauna wrote: Bates motel and Hannibal have become excellent shows. I love every moment of them.

I've made my objections to Hannibal clear by this point. But I will say that at a certain point, in principle, we should let a monster be a monster. We met Hannibal in jail, bouncing off of fbi profilers and we knew exactly what he was. As for Norman Bates, there was an attempt in the sequel movies to show exactly how his mom fucked him up but weekly adventures aren't needed. We aren't supposed to identify with these people.

The worst of the worst has to be the spinoff from the Avengers. What a horrible tragedy that show is.

Agreed. I watched the pilot and I was done. Role out the Whedon stock characters. Coleson is Giles, the tough guy is Jayne, The Asian lady is Zoe, the scientists are boy and girl Fred. And to top it off, the super special girl hero with a mysterious past Whedon is probably terrified not to include.

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-25 19:00:13

My only problem with Hannibal is...doesn't it seem like an inordinate amount of serial killers with extremely specific calling cards live in this area?

You can't walk down the street without tripping over a serial killer.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-25 21:20:18

Plus there's Hannibal, Bates Motel, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Les Revenants.

Most of these shows are very loose adaptations or only tangentially related to the original films, though. I think what's happening is less that production companies are just rehashing old ideas (though that's certainly part of it, on some of these shows more than others) and more that they're making new series that bank on familiar names. Neither are particularly ideal, obviously, but it could be worse.

And hell, who knows. Adapting movies to TV gave us M*A*S*H and Buffy, so it's not all bad.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-25 21:23:15

At 3/25/14 06:47 PM, stafffighter wrote:
At 3/25/14 06:34 PM, Shauna wrote: Bates motel and Hannibal have become excellent shows. I love every moment of them.
I've made my objections to Hannibal clear by this point. But I will say that at a certain point, in principle, we should let a monster be a monster. We met Hannibal in jail, bouncing off of fbi profilers and we knew exactly what he was. As for Norman Bates, there was an attempt in the sequel movies to show exactly how his mom fucked him up but weekly adventures aren't needed. We aren't supposed to identify with these people.

I agree. The movie is called freaking 'Psycho'! Why should one attempt to make us sympathize with a man who simply wants to act like a freakish MURDERER? It's like sympathizing with The Birds!

I think Hannibal Lecter has been expanded on enough in just the movies as well.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-25 21:28:11

At 3/25/14 07:00 PM, Darthdenim wrote: My only problem with Hannibal is...doesn't it seem like an inordinate amount of serial killers with extremely specific calling cards live in this area?

You can't walk down the street without tripping over a serial killer.

It also makes me wonder if Francis Dolarhyde is even going to be that big of a deal when he eventually shows up.

They bust people like that all the freaking time.

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-26 14:04:45

At 3/11/14 08:41 PM, Darthdenim wrote: I've actually heard that MTV is developing a series based on Scream.

Really? What about Scream warrants a series?!

It will probably be a satire of horror movies becoming tv shows, just like the original Scream trilogy was a satire of slasher horror movies.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Why are movies getting tv shows? 2014-03-26 16:43:39

Executives have run out of ideas.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature