• 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician

In the game Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time there is a song that has been giving me a lot f trouble.

The Spirit Temple theme. (ignore bad quality or look up a different vid)

The beginning of the song, that intro, is in one time signature and tempo/bpm while the rest of the song is in another. I need y'all's help to figure out what they are.

I'm desperate for this information because I've been wanting to do a tribute to this song since I first heard it in '98. (course, I wasn't any good at music back then)

Click my sig for a free downtempo EP
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Musician
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-08 21:41:39 Reply

I think it's all in one consistent time signature and has a steady pulse. What's deceiving is the hemiola of the rhythms and the overall improvised nature of the melody with the ehhh...ethnic horn thing...

BBS Signature
deadbea7
deadbea7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-09 05:10:00 Reply

i counted 73 bpm. the song starts out with a time signature of 1/4 and then changes to common time (4/4) after the first measure. there are a lot of triplets too which can throw off your rhythm if you don't know how to count them. there are no key changes so that's good. just a lot of accidentals. it sounds like it's in c as well. the accidentals are mostly b flats, e flats, and a flats.

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-09 08:20:49 Reply

@ZipZipper I know it's a synth, but I think it might be emulating a zurna. I know it has two time signatures, though and in a weird breakthrough last night I realized that because of the time signature change it could all be one tempo.

@Braiton I tried 70 bpm before and it didn't fit, but I figured out that the first bar is in 1/4 while the rest is in 4/4.

@deadbea7 The time signature deal is confirmed! Thanks! I haven't tried 73. I'll have a look into it.

Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-09 21:24:15 Reply

At 3/9/14 10:33 AM, Braiton wrote: Yes, that first beat would fall in a short 1/4 bar and the rest in 4/4.
As for tempo your best bet is to find a metronome to try to find the ideal fit. Or you can do trial and error. Shouldn't leave the 70-80bpm range in my opinion though.

Cheers.

It's a dead 73 bpm. Thanks all!

Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature