New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-08 21:04:58 Reply

In the game Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time there is a song that has been giving me a lot f trouble.

The Spirit Temple theme. (ignore bad quality or look up a different vid)

The beginning of the song, that intro, is in one time signature and tempo/bpm while the rest of the song is in another. I need y'all's help to figure out what they are.

I'm desperate for this information because I've been wanting to do a tribute to this song since I first heard it in '98. (course, I wasn't any good at music back then)

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-08 21:41:39 Reply

I think it's all in one consistent time signature and has a steady pulse. What's deceiving is the hemiola of the rhythms and the overall improvised nature of the melody with the ehhh...ethnic horn thing...

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-08 23:07:22 Reply

At 3/8/14 09:41 PM, ZipZipper wrote: I think it's all in one consistent time signature and has a steady pulse. What's deceiving is the hemiola of the rhythms and the overall improvised nature of the melody with the ehhh...ethnic horn thing...

Yup seems that way. It's also fairly slow so I'd say the tempo is around 70-80bpm. Try counting. I counted that first intro note and then began counting with a steady and slow 4/4 pulse, and it seems to fit. Begin counting ONE (start on that second chord/note), two, three, four, repeat (or look for a metronome and set it around 70/80 and count). May seem deceiving at first because that synth like instrument which seems to be the driving melody in the intro skips that first accent (silence) but if you keep counting the accents will begin to fall in place.

So yeah anyway, I'm assuming it's in 4/4 (not counting that first beat) and around 70-80bpm (I'll take a wild guess and say 75 because it's the average :d)

deadbea7
deadbea7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-09 05:10:00 Reply

i counted 73 bpm. the song starts out with a time signature of 1/4 and then changes to common time (4/4) after the first measure. there are a lot of triplets too which can throw off your rhythm if you don't know how to count them. there are no key changes so that's good. just a lot of accidentals. it sounds like it's in c as well. the accidentals are mostly b flats, e flats, and a flats.

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-09 08:20:49 Reply

@ZipZipper I know it's a synth, but I think it might be emulating a zurna. I know it has two time signatures, though and in a weird breakthrough last night I realized that because of the time signature change it could all be one tempo.

@Braiton I tried 70 bpm before and it didn't fit, but I figured out that the first bar is in 1/4 while the rest is in 4/4.

@deadbea7 The time signature deal is confirmed! Thanks! I haven't tried 73. I'll have a look into it.

Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-09 10:33:42 Reply

At 3/9/14 08:20 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: @ZipZipper I know it's a synth, but I think it might be emulating a zurna. I know it has two time signatures, though and in a weird breakthrough last night I realized that because of the time signature change it could all be one tempo.

@Braiton I tried 70 bpm before and it didn't fit, but I figured out that the first bar is in 1/4 while the rest is in 4/4.

@deadbea7 The time signature deal is confirmed! Thanks! I haven't tried 73. I'll have a look into it.

Yes, that first beat would fall in a short 1/4 bar and the rest in 4/4.
As for tempo your best bet is to find a metronome to try to find the ideal fit. Or you can do trial and error. Shouldn't leave the 70-80bpm range in my opinion though.

Cheers.

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Help With Bpm And Time Signature! 2014-03-09 21:24:15 Reply

At 3/9/14 10:33 AM, Braiton wrote: Yes, that first beat would fall in a short 1/4 bar and the rest in 4/4.
As for tempo your best bet is to find a metronome to try to find the ideal fit. Or you can do trial and error. Shouldn't leave the 70-80bpm range in my opinion though.

Cheers.

It's a dead 73 bpm. Thanks all!

Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature