New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mrobeymenow
Mrobeymenow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 02:27 PM Reply

I've recently been looking for some new plugins for FL studio, and i heard a lot about Nexus. Is it worth the money? Is it easy to use and modify presets?

Witch
Witch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 03:07 PM Reply

At 3/8/14 02:27 PM, Mrobeymenow wrote: I've recently been looking for some new plugins for FL studio, and i heard a lot about Nexus. Is it worth the money? Is it easy to use and modify presets?

I would say yes. It's not the kind of thing you should be relying on for the basis of your sounds, but it makes a nice addition to your collection. Yes it's extremely easy to use, and if you download some of the additional libraries you'll have a lot of presets to choose from. Just be careful not to overuse it, and try to use it as creatively as possible.

BBS Signature
UserSigon
UserSigon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 03:45 PM Reply

Nexus is not a real VST, more like a ROMpler

but its worth it yeah

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 04:03 PM Reply

Totally worth it. There's a lot of awesome sounds you get with, and can get separate, in Nexus.

I bought Nexus2 with the Hollywood 2 expansions ($250 just for those expansions), as well as the Dubstep/Electro Volume 3 expansion (Something like $60 if I recall)... and I think one more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Overall, it cost me $600... But I don't regret it at all. Every time I play with it, I find a new sound I quite enjoy. I've found a lot of favorites in the Halloween expansion as well, which came free with the VST.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Ryuno074
Ryuno074
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 06:22 PM Reply

It's good stuff, just not a synth.

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore

Need custom music or SFX for your project? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1361543

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 8th, 2014 @ 07:12 PM Reply

Most people here would say yes while I would say no purely on the fact that being a Rompler your are limited as to what you can do and you have to PAY just to get more designed presets in Expansions instead of being able to sit down and design your own.

It depends on you though. If you have the patience and the time to sit down and design all of your own Patches in a different Plugin like U-He Zebra2, Sylenth, Tone2 Gladiator, Tone2 Nemesis, NI Absynth etc.

Or you can go down the route of running loads of freebie synths like Tyrell N6, Nabla, Kairatune, Obxd, plus so many many more.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
TH-J
TH-J
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 05:47 AM Reply

At 3/8/14 02:27 PM, Mrobeymenow wrote: I've recently been looking for some new plugins for FL studio, and i heard a lot about Nexus. Is it worth the money? Is it easy to use and modify presets?

I would say yes actually, Although I dont use Nexus for synth sounds (I think its cheating xD) but the main reason why i got it is for the orchestral patches :). The pianos are just heavenly and the same can be said for the strings, its my go-to for sampled instruments (Unless im using soundfonts, becuase SF2 samples are always awesome :3) so yeah...Maybe try demo/torrent it and see how you like it man :)~

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 03:22 PM Reply

At 3/8/14 07:12 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: U-He Zebra2

+ 1,000,000....

Buy it, learn it, make sounds, love it...

CentralComposers - Cinematic, Hybrid and Soundtrack Sample libraries.

Sound Designer and Kontakt programmer.

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 03:29 PM Reply

it's just a preset bank (very good sounding) but for the price I suggest you invest in something with more freedom like massive/sylenth

so, no, I don't think its worth it.

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 02:33 AM Reply

It depends. Nexus is not really a synth, it's pretty much a preset bank. That might not sound so bad, but the turn off is the fact that these sounds can hardly be modified.

This means you're extremely limited in terms of what you can do with the sounds from Nexus.

Personally I would spend the money on a synth which you can use to create your own sounds such as Sylenth1, NI Massive and some others.

New electro house/complextro song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 02:35 AM Reply

At 3/10/14 02:33 AM, DjAbbic wrote: It depends. Nexus is not really a synth, it's pretty much a preset bank. That might not sound so bad, but the turn off is the fact that these sounds can hardly be modified.

This means you're extremely limited in terms of what you can do with the sounds from Nexus.

Personally I would spend the money on a synth which you can use to create your own sounds such as Sylenth1, NI Massive and some others.

Sorry for the double post but I just realised that I pretty much just quoted Aero there...sorry about that :p

New electro house/complextro song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 02:35 AM, DjAbbic wrote:
At 3/10/14 02:33 AM, DjAbbic wrote: It depends. Nexus is not really a synth, it's pretty much a preset bank. That might not sound so bad, but the turn off is the fact that these sounds can hardly be modified.

Sorry for the double post but I just realised that I pretty much just quoted Aero there...sorry about that :p

haha i'm glad someone else agrees tho - theres a worrying amount of people saying its worth it

also OP - if you don't have massive theres a 50% off deal right now on some NI synths so for the price of nexus you could get massive, absynth AND razor

but then again I don't have nexus, just seems like an overpriced preset bank to me

Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 03:23 PM Reply

Yeah seriously... If you have some money spare, go buy Massive on the 50% off deal... for £84.50 I would buy that over Zebra 2..

You have 1 week! I'd buy U-he Zebra 2 if you can't buy Massive by the end of the week. :)

GOGOGO!

Bafana
Bafana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 01:04 AM Reply

It really depends on what you need it for. For me, Nexus2 is my go to for strings and other orchestral instruments, guitar plucks, some decent pianos etc.

It's also good for melody creation in EDM. Use any old Dance Lead to get the party started while the melody is fresh in your head. Replace it with something more definite later.

BBS Signature
Witch
Witch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 05:24 PM Reply

Just to add to what I said earlier: Don't buy it if you don't already have a few reliable VSTs. Nexus has some interesting sounds that will come in handy for layering and stuff, but I would prioritise getting something like Sylenth1 or Alchemy if you don't already have them.

Also, in my opinion you should avoid Massive.

BBS Signature
Mrobeymenow
Mrobeymenow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 3/11/14 05:24 PM, Earthmover wrote:

I would prioritise getting something like Sylenth1 or Alchemy if you don't already have them.

Also, in my opinion you should avoid Massive.

Actually my plan is to get nexus first, then I'll probably get Sylenth1. I've tried the demo and i really liked.
I also agree with you on the massive, i've tried the demo for that, and i did not enjoy it. Thanks for helping me clear some things up.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 03:40 AM Reply

At 3/10/14 03:23 PM, Bspendlove wrote: You have 1 week! I'd buy U-he Zebra 2 if you can't buy Massive by the end of the week. :)

GOGOGO!

I second U-he stuff.

johnfn
johnfn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 03:56 AM Reply

At 3/12/14 03:40 AM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 3/10/14 03:23 PM, Bspendlove wrote: You have 1 week! I'd buy U-he Zebra 2 if you can't buy Massive by the end of the week. :)

GOGOGO!
I second U-he stuff.

Thirded. I use Zebra2 for everything and it's amazing. :)

[6,11,4,10,2,10,-68,5,15,-68,16,4 ,1,-68,-2,1,15,16,-67].map(function(v){ return String.fromCharCode(v + 100) }).join(""); // updated for web 2.0!

BBS Signature
Bspendlove
Bspendlove
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Is Nexus worth it? Mar. 12th, 2014 @ 07:32 AM Reply

And if you do get Zebra, you get my free patch bundles! ;)