00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sk8er-Gaius15 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you tell the difference?

594 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do you tell the difference? 2014-03-06 15:30:20

So like if you're watching an animation of a movie, a show or whatever. How do you tell what type of animation it is? Any key things to look for that help you spot the difference? I'm talkin' about when you watch 2D animated shows by the way (obviously spotting CGI is easy). Shows like Family guy, Fairly odd parrents, Ren and Stimpy, Cowboy Bebop, Kim possible, Johnny Bravo, The power puff girls, Flapjack and South park all seem to consist of either full, limited or cut-out animation. How do I tell exactly what's being used though,? It's not always so clear. I'm an animator and I feel like it's my duty to be able to know what's going on behind the scenes, know what I'm sayin'? You catchin' mah drift? I just gotta know! So please, do go ahead... explain that stuff yo.

I just used these to get my point across, use any of your own examples if you want.

Response to How do you tell the difference? 2014-03-06 16:10:15

Google.

Response to How do you tell the difference? 2014-03-06 16:38:21

At 3/6/14 04:10 PM, BrainworkInProgress wrote: Google.

Tried it already, didn't work.

Response to How do you tell the difference? 2014-03-06 18:36:07

These are just my assumptions. The earlier Family Guy seasons from 1-3 use a more traditional style because it uses more angles on their shot while the later seasons keeps most of their shots at the same angle. I assume they do this to because its cheaper and easier to animate. Also it could recycle models and use some tweens

Another example of a change in style direction is Johnny Test where it uses a traditional style when it first air and it switches to flash where it depends on tween and than what it appears to be Toon Boom because it looks like a more complex tween.

Now if you want to see an animation where the technique is all of the place is Kill La Kill. It notice it uses both tweens and traditional methods.

Again these are my assumption based on my experience on being a wannabe animator myself.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

Response to How do you tell the difference? 2014-03-06 23:45:22

Yeah ! I totally agree with you RustyHound. I wonder the same thing, but have no definite way of finding out just by watching. In my opinion, it might have something to do with also knowing the show and/or the animation studio it is associated with. I seriously wish i could tell though :P

Response to How do you tell the difference? 2014-03-10 04:49:10

Watch moar cartoons. Read their wiki pages on development, or watch their 'making of an episode' videos. Also, think about the thing you're watching. How would you try to replicate them?