RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 01:56 PM Reply

Again I repeat...more and more people not reading the rules. One rule being, you cannot work on the song before the contest, you start at the start date. More people need to read the rules.

Ryuno074
Ryuno074
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 02:41 PM Reply

I found an inspiring piece and started working on my track. More automation than notes so far, and layered NI Massive all around.

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore

Need custom music or SFX for your project? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1361543

JoshuaHughes
JoshuaHughes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 02:46 PM Reply

Only just started, and this is already intense! Never had to work on a deadline before, but maybe the pressure will be good for me.

Latest Track: Children of Saturn

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 3/9/14 02:46 PM, JoshuaHughes wrote: Only just started, and this is already intense! Never had to work on a deadline before, but maybe the pressure will be good for me.

its 5 weeks, that's plenty of time :P no pressure xD but then again, many people can get busy so I understand. Good luck

newhansen
newhansen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 9th, 2014 @ 04:19 PM Reply

Last year was excellent. Ill join this AIM for sure if i make the submission it in time.

johnfn
johnfn
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 04:30 AM Reply

Can I replace a submission if I make a better one later on?

I'm nearly done with my first piece...

[6,11,4,10,2,10,-68,5,15,-68,16,4 ,1,-68,-2,1,15,16,-67].map(function(v){ return String.fromCharCode(v + 100) }).join(""); // updated for web 2.0!

BBS Signature
EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 05:46 AM Reply

At 3/10/14 04:30 AM, johnfn wrote: Can I replace a submission if I make a better one later on?

The rules state that you can submit up to two tracks in total.

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 06:12 AM Reply

At 3/10/14 04:30 AM, johnfn wrote: Can I replace a submission if I make a better one later on?

You can replace the audio improving it as much as you feel needed until the deadline. And yes, you can submit up to two songs also.

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 10:41 AM Reply

wait, this started already?

shit. better get my music going.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 01:35 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 10:41 AM, SkyeWintrest wrote: wait, this started already?

shit. better get my music going.

Yeah, started yesterday. My song's pretty BA so far. Moving at super speed so I can get it finished ASAP for more exposure :P

Not sure if I'm going to do vocals for it or not.

My sig is clickable and takes you some place.
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Ketzelkab
Ketzelkab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 01:47 PM Reply

I would be very interested in giving this a go. I haven't had a lot of time for projects lately, but I want to put more work out...

I guess I'll lurk the art portal and see if anything clicks. If it does, I'll be submitting!

Twitter | Soundcloud | Follow me?
Let's stalk each other on the interwebs!

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 3/9/14 01:56 PM, RealFaction wrote: Again I repeat...more and more people not reading the rules. One rule being, you cannot work on the song before the contest, you start at the start date. More people need to read the rules.

1): The picture you're using for inspiration must be rated T or under and cannot contain nudity or extreme violence. Blood is ok, but nothing grotesque. Same goes with the music, can't contain explicit content, like no cussing. The F bomb, and offensive words and content in general aren't allowed (but it's ok if you drop "damn", "hell", or "ass" a few times here and there).

2): There can NOT be any copyrighted samples in your song (Newgrounds rules, read up on those).

3): Submissions cannot be songs previously submitted before the contest start date (Sunday, March 9th), or contain your past song anywhere within the song. Gotta start fresh yo!

4): Submit your song(s) before the official deadline: April 14th, 2014 at 12:00 A.M. EST (It's a Sunday night) to this thread, post the link to it here. However, last year we were a bit lenient, so we may give an extra day or two if you really need it. :)

6): This year, collabs ARE allowed! This means, you can have a singer or a small group of people work with you (including a band), but they HAVE to make a Newgrounds account so you can add them to the project. Read up on how the project system works here or if you have questions, ask in the Discussion Thread.

7): You can submit up to 2 songs this time.

8): If you're unsure of ANYTHING not listed in the rules, feel free to ask us questions in the discussion thread!

9): You MUST submit your song here on newgrounds (must have a Newgrounds account) and on THIS THREAD!

10): No discussion here, that's what the Discussion Thread is for, to chat. Only post submissions in this thread.

11): Unlike last year, this year it will be more about skill rather than reflecting the art piece you selected, but that will still get you bonus points if it does. You'll get a review from at least 1 or 2 of the judges due to our schedules but here's hoping for more!

Gotta admit that it doesn't say that anywhere in the rules.

This is why you have people working on songs before the contest start.

Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 01:59 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 01:50 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:

I thought people would've been more observant, I thought I was clear enough but I guess I wasn't.

motakay
motakay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 05:21 PM Reply

Ok! Artwork-hunt-2014 has begun!!!

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 01:59 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 3/10/14 01:50 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:

I thought people would've been more observant, I thought I was clear enough but I guess I wasn't.

Let's take a look at the part of the rules that is closest to this.

3): Submissions cannot be songs previously submitted before the contest start date (Sunday, March 9th), or contain your past song anywhere within the song. Gotta start fresh yo!

This clearly states that you must submit a song that has not been submitted to the site before the starting day of the contest (it should also be assumed that the song must not be present anywhere else too) and that you cannot reuse material from other songs you've submitted (this, assuredly, is saying, "No remixes," as well). We then see, "Gotta start fresh, yo!" as a reaffirmation of what we have just read.

This is normal NG contest fair. Users will look at this and probably think, "Yes, of course!" and start looking for an art piece and then move to production ASAP. Honestly, it was a complete coincidence that I started on the start date myself!

If you were not the contest holder and came around saying, "Guyyyys, you can't do thatttt ! You have to start the creation of your songs on the start date! It says it in the rules!" I would call you a fool. I don't see how one would surmise that from what is written.

So, I would say you have a few options. The first one being that you would take responsibility and apologize to that new user who submitted his song as per the given rules and move on from there. Your second choice could be to ignore the whole issue and keep trying to enforce a rule that is not listed. A third option could be to somehow change the rules, but still apologize to the new user (this option is impractical since the contest has already started).

It's your contest, you make the decisions.

Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 10:58 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 08:46 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 3/10/14 01:59 PM, RealFaction wrote:
It's your contest, you make the decisions.

You make some good points, it's unfortunate, but the time frame of submission is within the contest. The contest starts march 9th, someone submitted before, and though one submission DID submit on the date, I also left them a review on the song. I'll probably apologize to them, but i did leave an insightful review at least, I try to be constructive in my reviews.

You're right. I am sorry about all this, i thought when I said "Gotta start fresh yo" (as weird as it was) people would...well I guess it could've been assumed that just was adding to the whole "start a new song" thing even before the...yeah I see whatcha mean. I guess it did cause confusion. Well in that case the submission counts, but the review i left on the second part is how I felt about the song's structure.

Sorry if I came off as a douche. I do admit when I'm wrong, and now is one of those times. Only thing to be done is apologize to them since the review is left.

JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 11:38 PM Reply

As of today I've started working on a track inspired by a piece of art for this contest, but I also happen to be working on an album that i've realized said track would fit perfectly into whenever I finish/release it. It's been stated in the rules that the track isn't allowed to have been finished/started before the beginning of this contest, but is there an issue with the track being used elsewhere during/after the contest (i.e. my own soundcloud/bandcamp)?

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 11:38 PM, JaY11 wrote: As of today I've started working on a track inspired by a piece of art for this contest, but I also happen to be working on an album that i've realized said track would fit perfectly into whenever I finish/release it. It's been stated in the rules that the track isn't allowed to have been finished/started before the beginning of this contest, but is there an issue with the track being used elsewhere during/after the contest (i.e. my own soundcloud/bandcamp)?

Last year we had people ask that, and simply put, after the contest, you can do whatever you want with it, it's your song. :) it'll just also be on the AIM contest album if it wins or you're a runner-up.

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 10th, 2014 @ 11:54 PM Reply

At 3/10/14 10:58 PM, RealFaction wrote:
You make some good points, it's unfortunate, but the time frame of submission is within the contest. The contest starts march 9th, someone submitted before, and though one submission DID submit on the date, I also left them a review on the song. I'll probably apologize to them, but i did leave an insightful review at least, I try to be constructive in my reviews.

You're right. I am sorry about all this, i thought when I said "Gotta start fresh yo" (as weird as it was) people would...well I guess it could've been assumed that just was adding to the whole "start a new song" thing even before the...yeah I see whatcha mean. I guess it did cause confusion. Well in that case the submission counts, but the review i left on the second part is how I felt about the song's structure.

Sorry if I came off as a douche. I do admit when I'm wrong, and now is one of those times. Only thing to be done is apologize to them since the review is left.

I apologize if I came off as harsh, but I just want to help out. I didn't want to see anyone get turned off the contest or the site over a misunderstanding. I know it's not traditional here on NG to be nice to new users, but we need new users to make the site better.

It's not a fun feeling when you feel you have to chastise someone.

Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 12:05 AM Reply

At 3/10/14 11:49 PM, RealFaction wrote:
Last year we had people ask that, and simply put, after the contest, you can do whatever you want with it, it's your song. :) it'll just also be on the AIM contest album if it wins or you're a runner-up.

awesome, looking forward to getting it done and submitted

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 12:43 AM Reply

At 3/10/14 11:54 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote:
At 3/10/14 10:58 PM, RealFaction wrote:
It's not a fun feeling when you feel you have to chastise someone.

yeah, you're doing the right thing no worries. I care about doing the right thing and making sure everything is correct.

neBSounds
neBSounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 10:35 AM Reply

This is gonna be fun =)

Do you like pork sausages?

BBS Signature
bolisa
bolisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 01:50 PM Reply

Count me in!!!

Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 03:40 PM Reply

I got a question.

Rule 7 states we are allowed to submit two songs.
Do these two songs have to be inspired by the same art piece, or could they be from two different pieces ?
Basically, can i choose two art pieces and submit a song for each one of them ?

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 03:42 PM Reply

At 3/11/14 03:40 PM, Deflektor wrote: I got a question.

Do these two songs have to be inspired by the same art piece, or could they be from two different pieces ?

Who says you can't take the same art piece and translate it in different ways? Since many people could use the same art piece if it truly inspired them, whats stopping you? :) use what inspires you.

Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 3/11/14 03:42 PM, RealFaction wrote:

Who says you can't take the same art piece and translate it in different ways? Since many people could use the same art piece if it truly inspired them, whats stopping you? :) use what inspires you.

Well, i thought about taking the same art for both entries, but i think it would be more interesting to take inspiration from two really different art pieces. Hence my question.

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 3/11/14 03:46 PM, Deflektor wrote:
At 3/11/14 03:42 PM, RealFaction wrote:

Well, i thought about taking the same art for both entries, but i think it would be more interesting to take inspiration from two really different art pieces. Hence my question.

Understandable. I would like to see more various art pieces in the contest this year, but just follow your heart, whatever inspires the people, the people should work with.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 04:46 PM Reply

I think those who are thinking that 'yup they're done' need to slow down! Excitement is great, it really is, but this contest has just started and already we're seeing a flood of entries!

Remember the final date is APRIL the 14th. That's more than a month away! So take your time, have fun, but make it the best it can be. There aren't that many spots, so you need to make your submission count! My advice is listen to the last album, and download it.

http://artinspiredmusic.bandcamp.com/

This will give you the idea of the quality and dedication people put into this competition last year. And I'm sure we're are planning to out do that what we did last time, so you need to go up and beyond that. Don't get stressed by it though, but use it to drive your learning experience. Good luck to all!

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread Mar. 11th, 2014 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 3/11/14 04:46 PM, PeterSatera wrote: I think those who are thinking that 'yup they're done' need to slow down! Excitement is great, it really is, but this contest has just started and already we're seeing a flood of entries!

Remember the final date is APRIL the 14th. That's more than a month away! So take your time, have fun, but make it the best it can be. There aren't that many spots, so you need to make your submission count! My advice is listen to the last album, and download it.

http://artinspiredmusic.bandcamp.com/

This will give you the idea of the quality and dedication people put into this competition last year. And I'm sure we're are planning to out do that what we did last time, so you need to go up and beyond that. Don't get stressed by it though, but use it to drive your learning experience. Good luck to all!

yeah and those entries need a lot of work, though i was pretty impressed with Yourix's first submission, it was good imo. People need to really value the time they spend on music. This was well said Peter :). I still listen to the last album and I love it :)